Thoughts on this fucker?

thoughts on this fucker?
chef john aparently uses it a lot

if you're not shitposting and don't know it's actually not a meme
canned tomatoes are generally better than fresh, as fresh tomatoes are garbage and tasteless grown out of season

san marzano in particular is popular due to the sugar & acidity of the strain. the difference isn't significant enough to justify the price difference in some countries, but it is objectively better than, say, roma tomatoes for sauce

most important thing to take is that canned tomatoes > fresh tomatoes whenever they aren't in season

yeah man they're just really good tomats, quality is pretty good but they're very consistent because of the DOP, the mob will fuck you up if youre shilling shit tier tomazzy

Also the texture/composition of the tomato itself s better
It doesn't have gigantic seed pools, which means more flesh, which means better sauces

So good on a pizza just slightly mashed up and slightly reduced.

do americans really do this?

San Marzano is simply the best variety of tomato on the face of earth and the only type of tomato accepted in the certified recipe of neapolitan pizza.
The D.O.P. stamp and the fact that comes from Agro Sarnese-Nocerino tells you that it's the real deal and not some meme copycat.
Buy it if you want the top of the top.

It's just a decent quality canned tomato that's really good for sauces. There's no magic in it. Give it a try.

they're the deenz of canned fruit for sure

Even if you believe that San Marzanos are the best variety of tomato (they're not), your DOP recommendation is pure stupidity. It's not like wine or cheese. You can't regulate a cultivar. California San Marzanos are just as good as your meme Italian ones.

What are the best tomatoes??
Genuinely curious.

Not sure what the best is but I can easily name several better than the San Marzano off the top of my head.

Pantano Romanesco, Costoluto Fiorentino, Black Trifele, Cherokee Purple. Even a Roma in the right hands can be superior to a San Marzano.

I defy you to taste each of those and guess wihch is which with any accuracy

Do americans really can everything?

I think Chef John is full of shit here. You don't need these, they're not magic. Do a blind taste test and see for yourself, otherwise you're just buying into the hype.

I grow mostly those for my garden tomatoes . Never seen any chef john stuff.

Chef John is a hack. What would Chef Scalfini use?

Wrong, every time i ate californian they were subpar, still good mind you but you could totally tell the difference.
But then again i eat this stuff fresh and and never canned so your experience might be different than mine.
also
>thinking you can regulate cheese or wine more than tomatoes
You either can say you can regulate every one of those or neither, grapes like tomatoes are fruit and sauce and wine are their byproducts you must be dumb to think that variances in grapes might affect more or less than variances in tomatoes. just like the same vine can produce a shitty or great wine depending on the year the same goes with a plant but the ecosystem and geographical position where they grew are very important parts that determine the quality of the product. Try to cultivate and produce a delicious french wine in California and see how awful it is.
Same goes for cheese if you think about it.
It's either all or nothing.

whatever he gets send in the mail by Big Tomato to review

Not even DOP. Sad.

based Jack using the patrician's 'mato

That's better. One day I really get around to setting up a taste test with a few of these different DOP brands and see what is what. Nothing fancy just like 3 or 4 different ones.

>What are the best ________??
>Genuinely curious.
If there is one thing autists like you need to realize, is that different people reach different conclusions on what's "best", due to the arbitrary values they place on the details.
Now kill yourself.

the bold centrist raises his head to uncharacteristically interject his non-existent opinion

bold centrist here again: I prefer heirloom cherry tomato varietals. :^)

>Strianese
>Not bothering to just write out "Australian / Chinese fusion"

>2018
>Still not homegrowing tomatoes, the easiest crop in the world

Sad!

Guys guys its a crapshoot everything depends on growing conditions. Did they get enough sun was it hot enough enough water. Depending on the growing season u can have better tomatoes grown in california than in italy. Retired italian deli owner

With wine and cheese it is the confluence of cultivar/breed, growing conditions and fermentation and aging techniques that produce a unique and distinctive product.

With fresh produce the number of variables is so much lower. As long as you are planting San Marzanos in volcanic ground and Mediterranean climate, you will get exactly the same result anywhere in the world. Not only that, it's highly debatable that the DOP conditions are even ideal for the cultivar.

>complains about people using jarred pasta sauce
>bitches at anybody who doesn't used canned san marzano tomatoes
these fucking italians i swear