Sous Vide

There likely won't be another cooking invention/discovery/innovation like this for quite some time. Still I haven't ever tried it.

Have you tried it? Is it just a meme? What was the best thing you made with it? I've really been upping my cooking game recently, and wonder if this sous vide thing is really worth it. Legitimate replies appreciated.

You can just do a reverse sear without any of the hardware. Just have to do the maths first.

It is a cult, and it isn't worth it.

Thomas keller et al won that bocuse award by cooking a carrot sous vide.

It's a meme, and a pretty obnoxious one at that. What can this do that a pan and a little bit of practice can't? Plus you need vacuum bags, and a vacuum sealer. You can't say it takes less effort when everything before the cooking is just as convoluted.

Every time I see a youtuber talking about these it's the same "now you can cook like a pro, with ease!" bullshit that you hear in every other kitchen gadget commercial.

well, this is the thing that really cooks my bacon. It seems like such a 2 a.m. infomercial hype county fair type of invention. but yet the most eminent chefs in the world swear by the thing.

Reverse sear is always going to produce a temperature gradient unless you have an extremely stable low temperature oven, which is probably more expensive than a sous vide to begin with.

Sous vide is simply the best way to cook a steak with current technology.

not him but reverse sear allows:
Dry surface
smoke flavorants

Two things that are hard/can't get from sous vide.

>What can this do that a pan and a little bit of practice can't
A perfectly uniform pink centre with a mm-thick crust.

>need vacuum bags and a vacuum sealer
False. You can sous vide with ziploc bags and the water displacement method still beats anything you can do on a stove.

have you done a sous vide steak? how did it turn out? How do you sear it? isn't it all just pink? gross

You can sear it in a piping hot cast iron pan for like 30 seconds a side (remember to do the edges). Alternatively, you can finish with a blowtorch. Remember to keep the torch far away from the meat and keep the flame moving to avoid butane flavouring.

Not sure what you mean by all pink being gross. That is the ideal interior of a perfectly cooked steak.

It’s been around as a Chefs secret for a long time. It’s just recently that it’s become well known and the equipment has become cheap. But the real advantage for top end restaurants is that they get perfectly predictable results and a large window to work in. They don’t need to have it off the heat at a given minute to get the same results. So they can work on other things that are time sensitive. And that means the customers don’t need to conform to a schedule either. So it’s more flexibility all around. For the home cook, it means similar benefits of time constraints plus getting restaurant style results with less effort.

>yet the most eminent chefs in the world swear by the thing.
Every top notch steak and chop house have been using the things for years. People act like they are new, they aren't. The only new bit is that home units are on the market and are at an affordable price.

>have you done a sous vide steak?
Many
>how did it turn out?
Perfect. Exactly doneness I wanted
>.How do you sear it?
I sear mine in a skillet no different from searing any other steak. The only additional step is to make sure you pat the steak dry, that's it. The rest is exactly the same.
>?isn't it all just pink? gross
Pink is good in my book. The steak is pink if that is the level of done that you are going for. But if your question is is the resulting steak just all the same level of done, then yes it is. There is no gradation, so you have crust then perfect medium, not crust, band of medium well, medium center.

>dry surface
Can you elaborate? With sous vide you dry the surface after you remove it from the water bath, so it produces the same Maillard reaction in the pan as any other method.

>smoke flavorants
I guess that's a point but personally I prefer a cleaner flavour for my steaks. Smoke is best reserved for brisket, ribs, pork shoulder, etc. If you really want some smoke you still have the option of finishing on the grill.

Cold smoke before sous-videing
When you sear the meat on a 700 degree cast iron skillet, the surface becomes a perfect deep mahogany tan in 20 seconds and is dry.
Reverse sear does make a great steak too. I prefer to do my pork chops that way.
I have been cooking sous vide for about 6-7 years now. Where sous vide really shines is in making BBQ and root vegetables. Oh and deviled eggs.
You can cook a pork butt / picknic ham for 36 hours at 158 degrees and convert all of the connective tissue to collagen without drying out the meat. You can then smoke it for 2-3 hours without being so picky about the temp and get a great bark / smoke ring without having to tend to the smoker for 10+ hours.
185 degrees for an hour with butter, salt, pepper, sugar, bay leaf, and fresh thyme. Some lemon zest would be good too. When done, dump all ingredients into a skillet on medium-high until liquids reduce to a glaze.

>Can you elaborate?
Yes, A drier surface on the steak will result if par cooked on a grill than in sous vide, of course you can dry the surface with a towel, but you will not achieve the same level of dryness as 220 degree dry hot air for 40 minutes.

>Cold smoke before sous-videing
[announcer voice]
Yet another product from polysciences. the makers of the best sous-vide precision cooking device.

Got a sous vide and basically came to Veeky Forums for the first time ever weeks ago after starting Veeky Forums in /b/ 10 years ago, then switching to /k/ shortly after, and now I'm here. Making the best steaks I've ever had now, but it is still a very meat dependent. I can't make a bad slice of meat good with sous vide, but I can make a good cut of meat to its full potential.

I just love that I can spend 5 minutes doing work in the kitchen (1 minute throwing the steak into a bad, vacuum sealing with a pump, and throwing into the water, 4 minutes searing after taking out) and have delicious meat.

This. It's pretty much insurance against fucking up a steak when you can't cook.

worked in a Russian restaurant that had one of these, it was pretty nice

>the same level of dryness as 220 degree dry hot air for 40 minutes.
Can you explain to me why this is beneficial? Sous Vide discussion aside I mean.
I've been cooking steak for many many years, and never once said to myself, "man I wish this steak was drier". So what am I missing here?

That's true. I'll have to do some side by side crust-only taste tests to see if it makes a difference.

Would you concede that sous vide is the best way to cook a dry-aged steak then? The surface is already dry enough to begin with.

Can I use one of these to warm up my sugar star?

A steak won't form a crust until all water has been evaporated. it takes a lot of energy to phase change water from liquid to a gas, that is an energy sink. That energy is better used to form a crust on a steak. Seconds count when searing and you lose time evaporating moisture.

Hydration impedes progress of the Maillard reaction, so a wet surface doesn't produce the same complex organic compounds that deepen the flavour of the meat.

Hmmm. Guess you never know what you are missing until someone points it out. I'll give this a go and see how it turns out. Thanks.

>pink

I meant the outside of the steak. I love rare or medium rare. I just think boiled steak sounds gross as fuck

you warm the entire steak up to the internal temp you want then sear the outside

>it isn't worth it
I paid $30 for a temperature controller and used a crock pot I already had.
That's not a lot of money to pay for foolproof steaks, imo.

>I just think boiled steak sounds gross as fuck
I don't know how that became a such a common misconception. The steak (or other meat/veg) never touches the water, it cooks in is own juices (or a marinade) inside the bag. If water gets in the bag, you've fucked up somehow.

The preferred "cooking" method of soyboys everywhere.

I guess I'm askin, is there really a lot of difference between a very nicely done steak on the grill and a sous vide. is it really worth it?

>is it really worth it?
Honestly I can't answer that question for you. My Sous Vide stick was $200ish, I've probably used it 15-20 times already, not just for steaks. So as far as I see it, yeah it was worth it But I have no idea how much $200 is worth to you or how much you actually use one if you got it.
>is there really a lot of difference between a very nicely done steak on the grill
Sous Vide doesn't really replace grilling, and I'd say if you are happy with your grilled steaks, Sous Vide is not going to produce a steak that is so different as to blow your mind. I don't feel it is game changing in that way.

It's not boiled. It actually turns out a pretty good product, I just don't really like the idea of it. Doesn't seem like cooking so much as lab work to me.

>cooking in a plactic bag
Enjoy your estrogen and bitch tits.
If you cant grill a steak correctly without having to boil it in a bag for 45 mins you should probably kill your self 2bh.

Every fucking sous vide thread turns into an argument about steak. It’s so fucking annoying. You don’t need sous vide for steak. You need it for a bunch of other stuff, but steak is just as good cooked in a pan. Sous vide does not displace any traditional methods. They are all still good. However, it brings a high convenience and consistency when you need it along with a whole raft of things you can’t do with a less precise heating method.

you can just put the steak in a thick zip lock bag and boil it keeping a constant temp. Or even the bag that it came in if u have IQF steaks

Or you can just grill or pan sear a steak like a normal fucking person.

Sorry, mate, but the traditional side are just poorly cooked.

Using that image to prove a point is the equivalent of using the overacting in infomercials to show that people can't crack eggs without a plastic handle.
Just because you're unable to cook properly without special gadgets doesn't mean no one else can.

>cooking your food in plastic
enjoy your acne and mantits

>$200
Temperature controller and a used crock-pot costs $40, just saying.

and you get what you pay for

i dont want to cook with plastic. can i use glass or something else?

Stop being poor, just saying.

This is why I always pay $10 for a can of coke. The convenience store clerk looks at me like I'm crazy but he just doesn't understand that you get what you pay for.

Until you use Sous Vide, you’ve never had grilled cheese they way it was meant to be eaten. Reaching the subtle textures that would have simply been unsafe to eat before.

I picked one of this up a month or two ago, but I haven't used it yet. Does anyone have any ideas?

It's good for two things: cooking a lot of one thing so that you can quickly get protein out there with just finishing touches while searing, ie chicken at a bbq pot luck or some such. Or getting something up to temperature while you do other things on your stove so you just need to sear it to get it good looking. It's a tool with a very specific job, so just keep that in mind.

Water circulator and accurate temperature control. Looked into making my own and if I count my time as worth anything, the stick types are good deals. Don’t get the overpriced box that doesn’t even circulate.

is this a meme or are you being serious? I could see how this could genuinely work. Melt the cheese perfectly and then quickly toast the bread.

If you paid $200 for a sous vide setup, you're the idiot.

>There likely won't be another cooking invention/discovery/innovation like this for quite some time
There is really nothing novel about this.

or you just don't want to rig up a used crock pot with an aquarium pump for a less versatile solution to a problem that is worth spending a fraction of your paycheck on

...you sear it after you sous vide it specifically to make it appetizing.

ITT: mental gymnastics to justify $300 boil-in-the-bag meat machine

I get the doneness i want in a pan. If you fuck up steaks enough to do this then i guess you could argue having a massive bucket of hot water to cook meat in.

the reason they shill sous vide as a steak machine is because it reels in the normies. steak is a pleb tier reason to use sous vide.

Honestly, it's mostly used for adding smoke flavor AFTER everything is done. You can add smoke while doing prep if you want to, but that can get lost in cooking phase. I want to try it with my pressure cooker, put smoke in there then seal it shut and let the steam mix with the smoke.

>I want to try it with my pressure cooker, put smoke in there then seal it shut and let the steam mix with the smoke.
I was thinking about trying this. I wonder how effective it would be.

You can make an extremely tender steak with a pretty tough cut by sous vide'ing it for a long time without compromising the doneness.

>wanting to infuse your meat with heated plastic and give yourself botulism at the same time

lol

Basically this.

You are typically at 150F or below. Not boiling and not infusing any plastics.

not worth the time and effort

>You can make an extremely tender steak with a pretty tough cut
That's called braising and it makes a great sauce.

>That's called braising and it makes a great sauce.
no, not at low temperatures.

he's right and you're wrong

ITT luddites who would probably protest gas stoves

not related to sous vide cooking but can someone tell me why norwegian care about bocuse award so much

sous vide makes pretty good wypipo food.

>comparing gas stove tops, which have been regarded for their superiority in temperature control for the better part of a 150 years, to a new-age, tepid temperature control device, the USP of which is that everything must be cooked in low-density polyethylene

obviously hit a nerve there.

>cooking steak any way other than sear & slow indirect heat on a traeger

go play in traffic you greentexting autist

>being this triggered about your wifi connected thermometer

must be from all the estrogen-mimicking hormones leaching their way into your boil-in-the-bag steaks

>literally making an argument that something is good because it’s old in response to a post accusing you of being a luddite

its great for when you want to cook something special for guests, since most of the work is done before you take it out of the bath.

When i got mine i used to do a lot of things with it, chicken breasts (serious eats bangbang chicken), pork belly(seriouseats 36h porchetta), leg of lamb, steaks... no shilling seriouseats btw, but those 2 recipes are bomb.

now i didnt use it in like half a year because you just dont go through all the hassle for a normal meal, i guess thats not necessarily true if you got a great aka industrial kitchen vac sealer, but for me, between cutting the bags, fiddeling to seal them, filling up my sousvide supreme and cleaning it in the end it just isnt worth it most of the time.

tldr. very cool toy, very good results, too much effort for weeknight cooking

>convert all of the connective tissue to collagen

it's too advanced to be useful

>Have you tried it? Is it just a meme?
>Is a style of cooking a meme
I mean, I guess if you're retarded, sure.

>buying the French Jew

NON

Boneless and skinless chicken breasts are actually edible without any sauce when cooked to 65 C sous vide.

Moisture in the cooker will bring the smoke down in condensation pretty quickly. It won't be smoky for long after it gets to steaming.

I have a sous vide pod, it's not as nice as that one but the steaks I cook come out perfect every time.

A single fucking carrot. Cooking is a joke.

It's great. Best $100 for cooking I've ever spent, Just throw a steak into a bag with basic seasoning, then come back hours later and throw it onto the pan for a sear and the steak is perfect. It is retard proof so perfect for drunk me.

Anyone who is against sous vide are just elitist pricks who don't like normies making good meat.

Both are raw wtf

>conflating buying cheap shit with buying something effective and economical
fuck off back to bed bath and beyond, keep paying out the nose for overpriced shit you fucking shill
stop being a fucking yuppie soyboy faggot
how so? he's overpaying for something he doesn't need to overpay for, but by your logic that automatically makes it better.
for the home user that's completely unnecessary. you're paying $150 extra for a fraction's worth of better temperature control.
my crock pot + temperature controller keeps it within a degree. that's MORE than good enough.
precisely

I'm not quite there yet, I'm still trying to master molecular cooking, but this will be the next thing on my list of revolutionary cooking methods.

It’s not overpaying if it’s a tangible difference in usefulness. Just because you’re extremely thrifty doesn’t make you smart. I prefer to pay more for a better thing, unless I can make it myself to the same quality, which I can’t.

This thread brought to you buy Polyscience.
Remember, if it's not polyscience then it's a cheap imitation.

Also remember our other fine polyscience products.

>being scrurred of new technologies
>2000+18
Geez user, it's just hydrocarbons and water.

Attached: o.jpg (1000x750, 58K)