Which country makes the best wines?

which country makes the best wines?

Slotnia

America, but pretentious europoors will claim otherwise
>I-its not REAL champagne unless it's made in some flyover district in france BECAUSE WE SAID SO
kek

Wine making is just agricultural science followed by food science.

Any country can make good wine if you throw enough money at it. It's like Qatar trying to buy culture with the megabucks and whoa look we have museum now. That's basically the California approach. Who cares if this wine costs $100, we cultured now.

Best bang for buck: Italy, Spain, France. Countries where wine is a thing to drink and not a niche hobby reserved exclusively for rich people.

You probably wouldn't like champagne. The yeasty flavors are offputting to neophytes. Try an Italian style bubbly. Also "pretentious" is pleb for "I have trailer trash parents who raised me to resent what I can't have", remove that word from your vocabulary unless you want to be stereotyped for your entire life.

>pretentious twat gets defensive over use of the word pretentious

what a shock

>I have nothing interesting to add but I would still like to participate
And that's the great thing about Veeky Forums, user-kun. There are no prerequisites for participation. You can try out many different boards, eventually you might even find one on a topic that you find interesting.

I LIKE food, that's why I'm not an obsessive who won't eat a steak unless it comes from a specific 5 by 5 foot square space in eastern chile like you

You literally called someone a neophyte, that's about as snobbish as it gets

It's interesting that you should attribute a belief like that to me when I was pointing out that many places can produce good food. I also mentioned 4 different countries that produce good wine, while you argued that only 1 country was capable of producing good wine.

Doesn't it seem clear to you that you're the one who is being picky? Pickiness is usually a sign that a person hasn't been exposed to a wide variety of foodstuffs. Usually due to underprivileged upbringing. I'm sorry about your childhood, user-kun.

It's a simple factual statement with no judgment involved. And based on his post wouldn't you say it's an accurate characterization? Not everyone has to care about wine. There is no need to take it as a personal attack when someone makes a recommendation.

>Best bang for buck: Italy, Spain, France
That's not even remotely true. Those countries produce great wine, for sure, but you get better value for money from Australia, New Zealand, Argentina and Chile.

US, specifically San Diego.

Chile I would agree gives those countries a run for the money in terms of affordable wines within a certain range of styles, particularly chardonnays and the red bordeaux varietals. Certainly not the other three. Argentina doesn't seem to know how to make wine without smothering it with oak. New Zealand doesn't seem to know how to match a grape with a climate. And Australia, where to even begin. Pig disgusting trash wines.

take your autism meds

china

The Finger Lakes region of the US is one of the best places in the world for wine. The soil is somewhere in the top 1% of black dirts for growing wine grapes and the climate is somewhere between France and Italy, deep glacial lakes right under the vinyards. The biggest issue is the retards who own the wineries are by and large mixing strawberries and blueberries and bananas into their wines. For every Sheldrake theres ten Glenoras making half and half sweet red and cranberries

>i've never tasted anything but american wine so it has to be the best
top kek
france isn't good bang for buck though

Italy.

France, obviously

you can have a good wine for 4€ in france i doubt new world wine can be so cheap

Fucking yes. Weimer makes some of the best whites in the world. Damiani makes killed reds. The entire region makes bone dry rosé that will make you cum.

Depends where you are really, if you're in europe then the latin euro countries definitely have the best value. If you're close to latin america/oceania then of course the wine's from there is gonna have better value than euro wines.

>New Zealand doesn't seem to know how to match a grape with a climate. And Australia, where to even begin. Pig disgusting trash wines.
I've had some decent kiwi pinot/sauvignon blanc and some good australian syrah, granted they were made by french producers who moved there but it's possible as long as you avoid the mass produced fruitbomb styled wines and saccharine overoaked chardonnays cause that's what the masses want.

>Start my wine tour out in the middle of nowhere
>Had a reisling that just floored me considering it was in some backwoods holler winery
>They tell me its won a world reknown as being one of the best wines in America
>Buy a bottle for Danise' baby shower next week and one to hold onto for a rainy day
>Go to the next stop on my wine tasting tour
>An absolutely divine cabernet that would have gone perfectly with and in my mothers bolognese
>Took a major award in 2015 from a respected wine grading group
>Get off the bus at the next stop
>Pic related

>Thinking America is the best at everything
Oh you Americans, you never change.

Chile has some goddamn amazing wines.

But unfortunately, nothing beats Champagne. It's pretty much the Parmigiano Reggiano of wines.

Champagne and wine are two completely different things.

Prosecco > Champagne

Chianti > Wine

>europoor logic
why would we change from being the best?

I’ll take any no-name monopole burg over a nasty new world pinot noir that costs $50 because muh napa tax any day. and bojo cru shits all over anything american when it comes to value red
weimer is great bang for buck
>kiwi sauv blanc
>decent
pick one

I honestly feel bad for Europeans, they basically exist as a poor copy of Americans.

do you have any specific comments about wine, or are you just here to shitpost?
I’d love an articulate opinion on why european wine is shit without regurgitating someone else’s opinion or a wikipedia article. or is that too much to expect? others are posting their hot opinions, some of which I agree with and some of which I disagree with. do you think you can manage that?

Germany, I'm not even kidding

South Africa.
Fight me.

Germany has pretty good cheap white wine

lol, not knowing that best wine comes from Argentina and France.

red wine that tastes like a burning heap of gasoline soaked truck tires

yum

Isn't that an extension of Earle Estates? Best Mead I've ever had, I get it by the case.

DPRK, obviously.

Euro wine is salty tasting

If Californians would stop over oaking their shit then California but for now France

AUSTRIA

No seriously, probably France.

If you like horribly sweet wine I guess.

>wat is acidity
try upgrading from blue nun

Californian wines consistently beat famous French wines in blind taste-tests among even top European professionals.

Same thing with mid-western microbrews constantly beating famous German beers in objective blind taste tests (again, even when judged by German professionals)

I'm not saying all American wine and beer is better but it's not 1930 anymore...

Wine from England is really good lads

>MUH LIEBLICHER WEIN
fucking Piefkes

What are some intermediate resources to learn about wines, grapes, growing conditions, and the general process of winemaking? Winefolly is a little too rudimentary for me but I’m not ready to tackle something like the wine bible. Thanks friends

Go on a wine tour and stay at a B&B run by a sommelier

t.underage who read about the judgment of paris on wikipedia

the chemistry and biology of winemaking

anyone who has tasted both cahors and argie bec would not mention those two countries in the same sentence

you mad?

Champagne is champagne exactly because it's produced in the Champagne region. Some sparkling wines may be better than some champagnes, but they can't be champagnes.

Australia

It’s champagne if I say so because muh fee fees
t.merishart

Portugal.

>he thinks there's a magic quality in the air that makes champagne from Champagne special--- and that any contending product, no matter how chemically identical it is, isn't the same thing
Fucking retard

Chianti is wine ya dingus

It’s not so much the air as it is basic geography
It makes no more sense to call a random wine “champagne” because muh fee fees than to call yourself an attack helicopter

You could use that same logic to say that pesto isnt actually Italian because basil is from the the indies. Youre just a pedantic fuck who thinks he's hot shit because he knows where something originated

you just continue to reveal how ignorant you are. this isn't something specific only to champagne, there are many many specific wines that can only come from certain regions, because, technically, that is the only region that produces a specific grape with the qualities that make that wine that wine..

doesn't mean they're all good. hell, it doesn't mean all champagne is good. doesn't mean a california sparkling white can't be a fucking great tasting sparkling white and better than any 'champagne' you've ever tasted. just means it's not from a certain region. period.

champagne is from champagne, bourbon is from kentucky. go ahead and call me a eurocuck but i live in the midwest.

stop letting mainstream media dictate what words mean in your mind.

love SA wines- i dont see alot in PA/nj best train station wine ive ever had in london cheap too

>>he thinks there's a magic quality in the air

actually, with wine, it's the soil, altitude, temperature variation, type of grape, water availability... and actually, yea, air composition of certain regions can play a part.

you must think all plants can grow the same across the globe with the type of thinking you're displaying. who's really the retard here?...

That's not how it works at all, actually.

This is hilarious. What a fallacy.

Go grow a grape in California, France, Italy, Argentina & Spain and tell me you can make them all individually into a wine that tastes the same across the board. You are so stupid.

A M E R I C A
M
E
R
I
C
A

>monopole burg
>bojo cru
>sauv blanc

Have some 'go 'za with it, you fucking retard.

No. Who taught you language?

Bourbon is not a good analogy because bourbon isn't called bourbon on account of being from the place called bourbon.

Since you live in the midwest, a better example would be if someone randomly decided to start claiming their cheese is "Wisconsin cheese" even when it's from Australia and then, when pressed, claiming "well, Wisconsin is just the model, I never technically claimed it's from the place called Wisconsin"

This probably wouldn't happen because Wisconsin cheese isn't very good, but that's the basic logic behind American wine makers being allowed to say whatever they want.

>america
hahahahahahahahahah
Bolivians make better wine than you, beetus

Those kikes in Bordeaux make the best wine I ever tasted. Recommended it so many times. Apart from that the best countries for wine are south Africa and Australia

Worked as a sommelier in a fine dining restaurant for a while so I have at least some professional knowledge backing up my opinion.

In Chile is literally cheaper.

I really like Georgia's and Hungarian's wines

New Zealand. Give me that Marlborough.

>I honestly feel bad for Europeans, they basically exist as a poor copy of Americans.

georgia yes
hungary lol no, please be joking

argentina

wrong

Canada makes some pretty good wines.

t. wine pourer at cheesecake factory

Chile for Quality/Price

Italian for pure overall Quality. That said, there are some wines which are exceptional (usually also exceptionally expensive) in most regions.

>bang for buck
Argentina, Chile, New Zealand
>Overall
France, USA, Italy

I really like Spanish and Georgian wines.
They have something to it.

Best sauvignon I ever had was French and about $200. I have an american Pinot for $50 that is very comparable. Dollar for dollar America all the way.

Greece has many good wines and some types only exist here (Malagouzia, ancient type, almost exinct, revived by one winery the past 40 years, Gerovasiliou), but limited production due to land size, bad marketing, and many scammers, from old mainstream factories, to some old guy trying to sell his backyard vinegar as bio wine

this

who gives a FUCK about wine

Georgia (the country not the state) has surprisingly good wine, extremely cheap as well.

For me nothing can beat red wine from the la Rioja region in Spain, costs very little nothing but tastes amazing.

Spanish wine is very underrated in general because a lot of Spanish wines are sold under French and Italian brand names so they can be sold for more money to Americans and Northern-Europeans.

>I had two totally unrelated varietals
>let me quote some prices I pulled out of my ass
>USA USA
cringe

this is either the shittiest transplant from somewhere else or the best baiting i've ever seen. I'm thinking after
>You can try out many different boards, eventually you might even find one on a topic that you find interesting.
that its the latter

>best
europe
>above average
rest of old world
>ok
south america
>shit/piss
everywhere else

Australian Shiraz.

>europe best
>rest of old world above average
so you're saying middle eastern/chinese/russian wines are better than south american wines?

Alcohol is a meme!

Australia doesn't make the best wine but it makes the cheapest, consistently good quality wine

There is you retard, the soil in champagne is rich in chalk which has unique water retention properties.

Australian wine is consistently garbage
>b-but it's not like that anymore! here in Australia there's this one obscure vineyard that makes 20 bottles a year and the wine isn't horrible and it only costs $200. it's current year!

Attached: australia.jpg (1200x674, 87K)