Ok so this is a stupid question

ok so this is a stupid question
but i see people cutting stuff holding their knives like this, and i'm scared to do it because it seems like it would cut your thumb
how do i cut like this without cutting my thumb?
black magic?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P2vp9q_qkx0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No one here has thumbs anymore. We had them removed in culinary school.

If the knife is sharp enough it should slice in a controlled and smooth manner so it doesn't do a "grab and thrust" move on you. A sharp knife is a safe knife, provided you're not retarded.

Practice on potatoes and apples to get the hang of it.

your thumb skin is pretty thick

fuck dude i can only afford $5 knives
can't afford a sharpener either

Doing this goes against all the knife safety things i learned as a child, ya know basic shit like
Dont cut torwards you, or another person dont hand somebody a knife blade first, etc

i know right!!
yet ive seen a video of some boss ass guy doing it no problem
he's not an anomaly is he?
because none of the "how to use paring knife" videos i watched taught this technique

In the beginning you may cut yourself a few times, but after a while you'll develop an immunity.

Well my grandpa does it too when hes cutting vegetables, it just seems like im adding an extra layer of danger to cooking that doesnt need to be there. I just use a cutting board

Pussy

>in this thread
people who have never tourne vegetables.

Go buy yourself a vegetable peeler and throw out your knives before you hurt yourself.

Google "paring knife", you idiot.

It's actually pretty safe if you're not retarded, so it's probably best if you never try it.

Getting out a cutting board just chop one scallion or a handful of cherry tomatoes into a pot is unnecessary though.

Wood carver here, very basic cut, you just keep your thumb lower than the path of the blade and use your thumb muscles to stabilize and guide the cut

sux 2 b u

>lower than the path of the blade
what does that mean?
in the video i saw the knife went straight thru the veggies and into the guys thumb
youtube.com/watch?v=P2vp9q_qkx0
after watching it again, am i crazy or is he cutting with the back of the knife??
wtf is going on here

A cheap double sided whetsone is even cheaper than your cheap knives

yeah but i also don't have the space for it
i live in a cramped space, with roommates who insist on filling 80% of the kitchen surface space with their stuff

I had one of those, don't bother. Those things are good enough for garden equipment and pocketknives, but you're better off sharpening your kitchen knives with an assortment of fine sandpaper if you need to keep it cheap.

Oh, and an old leather belt can serve as a perfectly functional strop.

not if you avoid manual labor, moisturize, stay indoors, and play vidya all day