Best Beer?

Hi Veeky Forums, im new here, and I was just wondering what Veeky Forums's favorite beer is.

as a belgian I gotta say pic related, thoughts?

Attached: 3761-17013-v4_product_img.png (350x455, 81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_Brussels
youtube.com/watch?v=qrb02a1FzX4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Brussels_bombings
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Belgian beer is sweet overrated shit

t. German

>belgian beer is sweet
altough there are some sweet beers, this really isnt true

Most of your beers are extremely yeasty. Many are sweet too. Dessert beers that get hyped up way too much because some of them happen to be brewed at monasteries.

Why can't we just be friends? :(

>steal eupen malmedy and genocide the germans there
>pretend like your beer is hot shit even though it isn't
GEEE I WONDER

>overpaying for hipster beer

Attached: lager.jpg (2340x4160, 2.87M)

try out jupiler, stella and vedet, you'd like it. Gotta agree with the over hyping tho.
one day user :)
do not get me started on WW2 man

Real good. We get the 750ml ones here for £3

I'm into Brewdog stuff at the moment. Jet Black Heart and Elvis juice pretty good.

yea ive tried jet black heart once, its pretty weird but in a good way. Dont really consider elvis juice a beer tho

fuck off kraut, nobody forced you to invade us

This is my favourite, I don't drink it too often though.

Attached: StBernardusABT12.jpg (298x308, 11K)

Germany has ruined their beer culture by refusing to allow new styles to emerge

t. American

great beer, it really tastes like westvleteren, but its much cheaper, so thats nice
sorry didnt see it

be grateful they got to keep their hands before they died

Here in England at my local ale shop is SO expensive, so I tend to only buy a few every now and again as a treat...
I've been drinking obscene amounts of this beer recently as for the strength it tastes relatively mild.

Attached: 360644_000_mcewan-s-champion-ale-scottish-ale-500ml-bottle_1.jpg (1000x1000, 81K)

You know nothing about the beer scene here, you just read some meme on reddit that Reinheitsgebot = no new styles
Protip: we produce pumpkin ales, ipas infused with tea and all sorts of other new wave shit too

havent tried that one yet, but yea its fucking jewish to sell belgian beer for such a high amount of money internationally

i've been to germany many times friend. it's very hard to find interesting beers compared to the US where I am a stone's throw away from dozens of microbreweries. minus the homebrew i have on tap I haven't had the same beer twice in many years

Yes and the bubble is bursting and breweries like smuttynose are going bankrupt
You can have 1000 breweries who all make the same new england ipa but at the end of the day quality goes over quantity
Sure, american beers can be very good
But claiming that we dont have innovative stuff is a very ignorant statement by someone who clearly isnt versed in the scene

>we produce pumpkin ales, ipas infused with tea and all sorts of other new wave shit too
Sounds pretty gay, Stephan....

Attached: Phaeggatus Maximus.jpg (605x573, 36K)

I think what he is referring to is that Germany is super far behind other countries that drink good beer because of the tradition

I am sure Germany will come around eventually though

I had a lemon infused beer from Germany the other day. Very tasty. Do not listen to these mutts.

>Yes and the bubble is bursting and breweries like smuttynose are going bankrupt
Thats is a bullshit take. The bubble isn't bursting, craft beer is still growing at a rather large rate, the only people that are bursting are the ones that expanded too quickly and didn't account for the literally thousands of smaller breweries they would have to compete with as they started up. And even they are bursting in an extremely non-dramatic fashion, you can still get Smuttynose, its just being sold to a bank

Its really only the mid-large tier regional breweries that are doing poorly right now, and thats 100% from pressure from below. When Smuttynose first expanded there were less than half as many breweries as there are now, so they could reasonably expect to sell ok beer a few states away. Now most people a few states away have so many local options that they aren't going to buy much of non-local breweries unless the beer is particularly noteworth and good, which Smuttynose just doesn't make

>Germany is super far behind other countries that drink good beer because of the tradition
Bullshit. Their beer is excellent, and always has been, exactly because they stick with what works instead of ruining their shit with adjuncts to save money the way large U.S. brewers do.

Most of the "microbrew" crap in the U.S. is just pure garbage. Completely unbalanced, overhopped swill with some disgusting flavor of the month tossed in for good measure.

Only hipster faggots drink "pumpkins ales" and think our "microbrew" scene is anything other than a farce.

The problem with Germany is that the good beer scene is still nascent and very small even relative to a place like England which is a good 10 years behind America. The percent of the market owned by small modern breweries in Germany is absurdly small

I fill up my growler of this shit every week

Attached: propeller porter.jpg (500x500, 47K)

As an American Hoegaarden is my favorite beer as well. Really great for summer. Depending on my mood I also like Old Rasputin, Wake Up Dead, Arrogant Bastard, and Boddington's. High Life is my go-to shit macro if I'm being cheap.

Attached: 1324277685221.jpg (1600x1125, 316K)

and yet most germans turn up their noses at any beer innovation and call the drinks 'mixed beer' or some other term (REEE ITS NOT REAL BEER IF IT HAS ANYTHING OTHER THAN HOPS GRAIN AND YEAST) while they stick to the only styles of beer that their city has produced for the last 500 years

>Their beer is excellent, and always has been
Having ok lager doesn't make you excellent.

But that is a big part of Germany's problem. Their base beer was just ok enough that there was never the strong push to do better that America has been seeing for the last generation. Only now that some people are starting to see what others are doing is Germany beginning to modernize
>Most of the "microbrew" crap in the U.S. is just pure garbage
This is just a dumb thing to say, its entirely baseless
>Only hipster faggots drink "pumpkins ales"
It was literally the German dude who brought up pumpkin ale, and its more women than hipsters that drink it

>relative to a place like England
Now if you want to talk about shit beer, then you need look no further than the U.K. with their room temperature piss water.

Their shit makes Milwaukee's best seem decent.

>This is just a dumb thing to say, its entirely baseless
And yet your bullshit assertions aren't?

Classic UK beer is mediocre as shit, but they have embraced American style modern beer before anyone else in Europe, and as a result have more smaller modern breweries than anywhere else in Europe. Its still not anywhere as good, or as common as in America, but they are doing an ok job, I'd say about 10 years behind where America is, and hopefully they can jump straight to the more balanced and delicious midwest and east coast IPAs and just skip the West Coast phase America had in the early 00s

>than anywhere else in Europe

belgium never stopped having craft breweries though

Correct, most of the market is dominated by the corporations
But you will find a small, traditional brewery in every other small town, that only serves its immediate surroundings
Then it's their loss
That doesn't change the fact that the guy I replied to was wrong

um, yeah
The craft beer market in America is incredibly competitive, bad beer from newer breweries is super uncommon, we are at the point where you aren't even going to be able to secure funding to open a brewery if you can't make good beer

Seems like your entire view of American craft beer is based on California in 2003

Kind of, but its different. Belgian beer is generally good, and they are the only place in Europe full of really good classic beer

Nigger we aren't famous for our lagers
We are for bocks, doppelbocks, eisbocks, gose, kellerbiers, dry ciders (ebbelwoi) and a ton of other shit
Again, very ignorant post

rasputin is great!

try out chimay blue, or lachouffe nice, those are great belgian winter beers (they are pretty sweet tho)

>bock, doppelbock, eisbock
all lagers
>kellerbiers
quite literally a lager. it says right in the name.
>ebbelwoi / apfelwein
not beer at all
>gose
the only beer you listed that wasn't a lager. Gose are making a strong push in the US now with the sour craze that is happening though

Bocks are lagers

And yes, Germany is famous for its lagers, primarily its lighter bavarian style lagers. The thing is, American craft breweries have revived and relatively popularized all sorts of obscure, traditional German styles, remember, most of America was settled by Germans. But luckily, most good American breweries don' focus on an extremely narrow style or two, they can make great obscure German style beer and also great IPA, and great stouts/porters, and great Belgian style and even sour stuff. The absurd variety of quality beers coming out of America is what makes the scene so great

I am genuinely curious, as a German person who apparently cares about beer, what would you say the typical taplist at a local bar or restaurant looks like for you? What about the selection at a local grocery store? And how do you perceive that relative to what Americans have access to?

I assumed that you were referencing the fact that most germans only drink pilsners
They may be lagers in a broader sense sure
But then america is only good at producing ales and lagers right? Doesn't sound much better
There's so much variation in these two subgroups that that's a very empty statement

The percent of German's drinking mediocre macro beer is much higher than in America. Luckily for them, their mediocre macro beer is much better than American macro beer

Selection at restaurants is shit
We have bottleshops like schluckspecht and getränke hoffman that have great selections of beers, they're everywhere
Compared to america germans have less access to beer in person
But i can just go to my favorite online store and order beer from tiny and obscure bavarian breweries and have it delivered in 3 days
So it doesn't matter as much

I didn't like chimay from the weird spice mix it had (unless I'm misremembering). I'll try lachouffe though.

It’s lovely. One of my favourites and I also like be a lot of other white beer. BUT – they’re a little heavy to drink all evening.
>hi I’m a salty kraut jealous of superior Belgian brewing
Isn’t alcohol banned in Germany yet? Oh well, it’s only a matter of time.

You're shittalking us about muslims? Take a stroll through brussels first

Are you guys aware EVERY beer is a subclassification of either ale or lager? Stouts for example are actually a kind of ale...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_Brussels
youtube.com/watch?v=qrb02a1FzX4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Brussels_bombings
>The official video of the initiative was pulled from YouTube after March 2016's Brussels attacks.

Laugh with me.

And sour/wild beers, they are kind of their own thing, though many do include standard ale yeast in addition to their bacteria and brett

But still, the vast majority of the diversity of beer styles are ales, which I think was the point. Lager is a much narrower category

i got to try a guinness draught and a fullers london porter and i love them because they are so rich
can some al/ck/oholics recommend similar creamy beers?

Look for any American style stout, especially milk stouts

There's a type of beer called cream ale
I think you'll love it

Superior Belgian beer coming through

Attached: delirium_tremens_900.jpg (659x900, 123K)

will give it a go
thanks

Attached: nice.jpg (187x269, 8K)

I’ve lived in Brussels for a month and visited multiple places in Germany. Brussels is less kebabish, as well you know. Merkel fucked you lot up.

Anyway, the thread is about beer. Belgian classic beer is the best in the world. German is good but not as good. English classic beer is shit but our craft beer is fantastic. If you come to London visit Bermondsey, where there are several microbreweries.

Not quite a microbrewery any more – but I’m sipping Camden Hells at the minute, which is superb. I’ll have a Camden Pale after which is great too.

>Belgian classic beer is the best in the world
best classic beer for sure, but America definitely makes by far the best beer now

I'm not german im some rando commenting on the side

Fair enough but I really enjoyed Brussels. Then again I stayed in a pretty suburb in the east, away from the sand people.

Oh I plan to go some day, I'm just being a cunt.

Attached: Bells-Hopslam-Lineup.jpg (2592x1936, 1.31M)

US breweries need to focus on producing a quad as solid as this before they start throwing it in meme barrels.

Attached: 1520266935940.png (680x447, 200K)

Ommegang and Weyerbacher are both quite solid, and Tröegs is pretty good too.

But Quads lend them selves particularly well to barrel aging. This one is excellent

Good American quads aren't at all uncommon

Attached: 3 Sheeps Veneration.jpg (640x640, 114K)

AH SHIT SON There's a Yeastie Boys at my town's liquor store, and it's their last one (looks like it's been there for more than a year really), and I need to fucking get it! Thanks for reminding me baby.

Attached: yei nigga.png (768x273, 93K)

I drank this on lsd and then puked.
The taste was very unique regardless and imo incomparable to things like Kwak.

Attached: 1507901677500.png (448x690, 342K)

Goatse?

just eat a candy bar if that what you want, fuck

there are two breweries in my neighborhood that make a dozen awful beers of different styles a year.

>caring about beer.

just grab a bud.

Attached: budweiser-355-ml-5.jpg (458x458, 15K)

nah, I would rather drink excellent beer than shitty candy, there is no real connection. Adding extra fermentable sugar is the traditional way to make a belgian quad

Incoming best beer

Attached: stone-arrogant-bastard-ale.jpg (800x600, 94K)

Best beers I've had
>Smog Rocket - Smoky Porter
>Geuze Boom - Lambic
>Sinebrychoff - Baltic Porter
>Brugse Zot - Belgium Dubbel
>Oakham Citra - Real Ale IPA
>Sour to the People - Modern Sour
>Wiper and Hardshake - Milk Stout

Stone are a based brewery

>not famous for our lagers
>famous for bock/kellerbier
You are aware those are lagers right? Lager is any cool bottom fermented beer.

this fucking shit

runners up
Smog City - Cosmic Cold Brew
La Cumbre - Elevated IPA
Left Hand - Nitro Milk Stout

Attached: Oskar+Blues+Death+By+Coconut.jpg (1200x1600, 361K)