In the market for a chef's knife

Give me some recommendations.
Under $150 because anything more than that seems dumb to spend on a knife.
Pic only of illustrative purposes.

Attached: 26227.jpg (3840x2160, 314K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kFhMGJYhYpU
restaurantsupply.com/dexter-russell-31621-10-basics-series-cimeter-with-stain-free-high-carbon-blade
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I have wusthof classic knives and theyre fine.

I have a set of relatively cheap Chicago Cutlery knives but I get the sense that they could be better

Wüsthof Classic are fine knives

Some things to consider:

*What will you use the knife for.
*How does the knife feel in your hand.
*Do you have a good place to store your knife so you don't chip/blunt it?
*How will you sharpen it?
*Do you have a good cutting surface? (Board, counter etc.)

>What will you use the knife for
Chopping garlic, herbs, dicing vegetables, trimming meat
>Do you have a good place to store your knife so you don't chip/blunt it?
I have a wood knife block
>How will you sharpen it?
I have a honing steel
>Do you have a good cutting surface?
I've got an Oxo board

For the 437,346th time. Buy a 5 dollar knife and a 200 dollar knife sharpening system.

wouldn't it make more sense to just buy a $100 knife?

then what happens in 2 weeks?

if you need to sharpen your knife every two weeks (rather than hone it) you have picked a very, very shit knife

a month 2 months 4. I don't sharpen my blades maybe in a year. They still shave. But they're shit quality according to assholes.

Attached: blades.jpg (1200x1600, 244K)

>Buy a 5 dollar knife

You need a knife that isn't made with shitty steel otherwise it won't get sharp when you sharpen it, and you'll have to sharpen it more often.

OP, don't listen to this guy. But you will need to invest in some sharpening stones.

For anybody who wants to l2sharpen

From a knifemaking legend

with a high quality knife that is used often how often should you need to sharpen it? there's a shop near me that will sharpen an 8" blade for $8

Yeah, I have to spend 2 hours ever year to sharpen 15 blades that end up being razor sharp for months. Those blades were on sale for 3 dollars each.

This makes no sense at all.

Buy a cheap, properly forged knife and get decent sharpening stuff. If you have the patience to learn how to use wetstones I would recommend it but don't lose sleep over your pick.

>youtube.com/watch?v=kFhMGJYhYpU

Forgot to post the link

You really shouldn't. I have those same knives, they're fantastic for the money.
Learn to sharpen a knife before you look at $100+ meme knives.

I learned how to use whetstones AND oilstones when I was 15, back in 1987. That's fine if you work in a violin shop, but to use those in cutlery is just stupidity. Get one of those shitbox diamond wheels and a strop with jewelers rouge/polishing compound. It takes 1/100th of the time and effort, your wrists won't ache after an entire group of knives/gouges/tools.

Work smart, don't work hard.

Make sure you know what kind of steel the knives are made of as well, and learn a little bit about the different kinds of steel.

Depends on what kind of knife it is and what you use it for and what it's made of.

If we assume it's an all-rounder like a chef's knife or santoku that you use daily, twice a day for normal household cooking. Twice a year should do it - just hone your knife in-between.

I've think I have the $50 set (was a gift). It's probably worth taking in for a sharpening to see what it can really do. As-is I have to apply significant pressure to cut a tomato.

Well, it doesn't take mysticism or a decade to learn, the stones will last for quite a while and your knives won't get scratched. Sure, it takes a little extra effort but what's wrong with a little effort? He'll sharpen his knives once every half year, tops, anyways.

If you could learn it at fiften and I could learn it at 18. user will surely learn with the help of youtube and the www.

You need to choose a bevel, you need to work that bevel until the burr tears off, then you need to create a micro burr if you want to be able to cut tomato with your poor sharpening skills.(Everyone has shitty sharpening skills). A micro burr is created by a high coarse sharpening regime. You can't use like 8000 grit on your blade. Go for 4 to 800. Very easy on each stroke. Stoke -whip- switch , and stroke -wipe-.

Then put that on your strop with green polishing compound. You'll be able to saw through a tomato.

Yeah, you've figured it out.

As others have said, a Wüsthof Classic or a Le Cordon Bleu, maybe even an IKON, all in 9'' for better balance. Messermeister Elite, Meridian Elite or San Moritz Elite would also be very solid choices. Messermeister is actually the German brand Burgvogel, a pretty venerable and solid manufacturer here in Germany

also where the steel comes from is important. german steel is harder to sharpen, but holds an edge for longer. japanese steel sharpens easily and can become extremely sharp, but will dull quickly. i hear american knife makers are entering the field in force, but i dont know how the steel behaves.

>dat aggressive belly

It's probably good for rocking, but terrible if you ever want to do push/pull cuts.

>I don't sharpen my blades maybe in a year
Well, you seem to have a dozen of them, so you could get a fresh one each month until they're all dull.

op by a 20 dollar knife and a good sharpening stone and call it a day because guess what, as prep cook the best knives I've used were the obvipously cheap sht knives at the mexican retsuarn i work at that were metiqucoulsyly dharpened not he flashy jap shit knives at the shusui place iw orkec kq3g

No shit. I bought them as gifts and then my friend pulled a Conan the Destroyer over his head and pulled a sharpened blade over his head from the cardboard sheath I made for him. It took his thumb to the bone and we spent 6 hours in emergency getting him stitched up.

No more gifts. That shit inside the tonton in Empire Strikes Back? It exists in a human thumb.

a yellow utility handle, amirite?

literally this but in yellow hyoure right

restaurantsupply.com/dexter-russell-31621-10-basics-series-cimeter-with-stain-free-high-carbon-blade

my man :) you best recognize how hard it was to find thatoon oin 9 drinks

Built from the right stuff!

Attached: 2018-03-11 11_20_08-Dexter Russell 31621 10_ Basics Series Cimeter with Stain-Free High-Carbon Blade (408x481, 26K)

Surely you meant that the other way round? Most of the blade profile is totally flat, which is great for push/pull cutting, but rock chopping wont work at all.

yellow is for poultry, red for meat, blue for fish, green for veggies, white and black are allround.
>cimeter
its spelled scimitar, after the curved middle eastern sword. Jesus fucking Christ.

>its spelled scimitar, after the curved middle eastern sword. Jesus fucking Christ.
imagine taking pride in correcting someones spelling on a cooking board on Veeky Forums

pls grow a chin and have sex you turbovirgin

Worst of all the moron isn't even right. Cimeter is fine.

Attached: 1426397532309-0.png (255x255, 35K)

"Cimeter" is the correct spelling of the word "scimitar" when it pertains to the shape of a kitchen knife.

because people have given up correcting generations of morons misspelling the word.

fag

>pls grow a chin and have sex you turbovirgin
Imagine taking pride in having sex. Something even the lowliest ghetto apes manage.

Im an old man and I've never seen it spelled like that in my life. Also I couldn't give one rats ass.

Mac MTH-80

I just checked the kitchen berimeter. There's a storm co,img.

Refreshing to find a decent conversation on Veeky Forums every now and then

Supposedly a very good knife, but it looks so cheap.

Wusthof ikon classic is another opiton.

i've got a victorinox fibrox, fucking awesome for chopping through stuff that requires a bit of force carrots and the such

for every single other thing my 6.5" kiwi knife i got for $8 is the best purchase i have ever made. So thin. So versatile. No effort at all to get an edge back on it. I haven't sharpened it just honed it for a year and it's still like new.

It's 10" long, you still have 8" of near flat.

Victorinox is probably the best bargain knife out there, it's quality enough to sharpen rather than toss when it goes dull.

Seconding the classic ikon.
Contoured handles so your hands dont get fatigued from using them for a while.

I have the ones in the pic (8 inch chefs) and they're a beaut:)

Attached: wu8347_componentsx1000.jpg (1000x1000, 102K)

I recommend you stop being fucking retarded. It’s a sharpened piece of metal you dumb fuck. Please kys, you’re ruining the gene pool.

yes every single thing is exactly the same no matter the make, you sure showed us with your superior intellect.

I was looking for a place to find the second part of this pic, and this is quite convenient

The user who made pic related already did his documentation on knives himself

Attached: knives.jpg (1000x2145, 781K)