Occasional cook here. Also I hope it's OK to ask about this on this board. I'm usually just on /g/

Occasional cook here. Also I hope it's OK to ask about this on this board. I'm usually just on /g/.

Over the past 3 years, I started shifting my nutrition, which also means that most of the time, I cook for myself now. One thing that always bothers me my knives. I buy cheap knives and after a few months they're just unable to cut anything at all anymore. I saw some that people sharpen them with some wet stones on some weeb youtube channel, but is it worth it for cheap knives that will probably lose their sharpness quite fast?

Basically I'd like to take my knive situation to the next level. I can't afford too expensive knives but let's say 100 $ for a meat knife and an all round knife should be fine.

Can you suggest me something?

Pic semirelated, self made kimchi.

Attached: download_20180303_174441.jpg (2048x1536, 309K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-chefs-knife-for-most-cooks/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Take a look at something like wusthof's 3piece starter set. It has a chef's, serrated (great for tomatoes), and paring knife for $129. Maybe some other anons will have better suggestions, but I think that's a good place to start. A good knife will change your life.

dont put your knives in the dishwasher
>knife set
bad advice
invariably low quality/ ripoff/ loads of gratuitous bullshit.

find a knife shop and go and hold some chefs knifes go off the one that feels right $100ish will get you a very decent chefs knife. also look up how to hold a chefs knife and git gud if you're doing it the noob grip like everyone does

pickup a $10ish dollar pairing while you're there

>git gud if you're doing it the noob grip like everyone does
Could you please explain?

If you don't have the means or inclination to sharpen your current knives what makes you think buying new ones is going to do shit?

This is like fat people who blow $25000 on some ridiculous machine because "I'm finally going to be healthy now"

t. someone with only $500 worth of knives but $1000 worth of stones, strops, loupes, and compounds

oops forgot pic

Attached: image10.png (409x257, 49K)

read this article: thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-chefs-knife-for-most-cooks/

you don't have ti buy that knife, but use the criteria to give yourself an idea of what you're looking for.

also make sure to hold amy knife you're planning to buy before you buy it, to make sure it's comfortable for YOU

I never thought about wether I was holding my knife wrong or not. A quick google search suggests Im holding it correctly.

Attached: kershaw-knife-hold.jpg (298x159, 12K)

These are like $10 each and are surprisingly good. Get a wetstone ($50) and they'll last you a decade. I've had my knives 7 years now with no problem.

Attached: kai_pure_komachi_farbiges_messerset_1.jpg__663x372_q80_crop-1_subsampling-2_upscale-1.jpg (663x372, 36K)

> (OP)
>These are like $10 each and are surprisingly good. Get a wetstone ($50) and they'll last you a decade. I've had my knives 7 years now with no problem.
I'm sure I've gone 10 years on mine...
I have other knives, a huge collection really, but I hand these to guests who rave and ooh and ahh at how sharp they are, and then I tell them I've never once sharpened them in 10 years.

I guess I'll add:
Any knife will need regular sharpening. The harder the steel the longer it stays sharp, but the harder it is to sharpen.
These Komachi knives are intermediate, maybe a little soft but a good compromise.

Those knives look like utter shit. if they work halfway decently it is probably only because they are thinner behind the bevel than the usual Walmart shit. It's depressing to see how many people claim cooking as a hobby and go though hundreds of hours of prep and cutting, all with shit knives. Just spennd $100 on a really good knife, it will be a revelation and it will last you the rest of your days, and prep will be a pleasure instead of a chore.

oh man I just love having contaminants shitting up my stones

Be honest with me, how bad did I just fuck up?

Attached: knifeplanet waterstones.jpg (1631x505, 163K)

Are you sure the knives just don't need to be honed? Many knives stay sharp but get bent out of true after a while, especially if they're cheap knives to begin with.

You may just need to pick up a knife steel like pic related to get more use out of your knives. You'll definitely want one if you want to spend more money on knives anyway

Attached: 20100423-honing - carousel.jpg (610x458, 76K)

Great.

Now get a Victorinox Fibrox, or Wusthof Pro chefknife and you're good to go for years to come.

Attached: knife.jpg (1000x700, 33K)

For me, it’s OpenBSD. The best BSD.

sharpening and honing your cheap knife is more than enough for anyone who isn't a professional.

>cuck license

Op here, openBSD is the only acceptable BSD for a number of reasons. To begin with, it's the only BSD of which the developers actually use it on their own devices. Hence, it has a larger hardware support.

I will try to use my knives a little longer to get used to sharpen, so that I don't fuck up new, expensive knives. Should I rather get such a steel thing or a stone set?

Hoenstly both. But if you have to pick one and you're limited on cash, get a steel and home every time before you use the knife. Then get a stone later.

But it you were willing to spend $100 on a new knife, you should be able to get some stones and a honing steel for around $40-$50 at the absolute high end.

Thanks, but I already have pic related. I will probably try to practice on some older knives and cleaver before I use it on my baby.

Attached: tojiro gyutou 8.2.jpg (2560x1440, 366K)

the 100$ was upper budget end, I am honestly not sure if I need such an expensive knife.

How about second-hand knives? Someone is selling a WMF chef knife from 2004 on a local craigslist-like website for the equivalent of roughly 7 US $