What got you into cooking?

What got you into cooking?

Was it a family member? Out of necessity? Were you always fond of it or did it grow on you?

Attached: 0d55b51e-2317-407c-88ce-5287c7eb9c47.jpg (1080x1349, 409K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cookingcomically.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

my mom had a rule, if you cooked you didn't have to wash the dishes
i HATE washing dishes

uni and living alone

fasting.

My mom was a professional chef, who took up teaching in a culinary school after she had kids (for better hours, obviously), and my dad was a rancher who raised cattle, sheep, and goats. So, yeah, my focus on cooking started VERY early in life. I don't remember a time when it wasn't an interest or passion of mine. Mom started teaching us to cook as soon as we were strong enough to hold utensils. And dad started teaching us about agriculture as soon as we were big enough to actually help him. And, I apprenticed to a chef starting when I was sixteen (after school and on weekends), and continued until I was nineteen (full time), then went on to work in numerous restaurants throughout university. If I had the financing, I'd start my own small restaurant (emphasis on small, I've no urge to go big).

sweet way to get into panties at uni

I would enjoy that breakfast right about now.

>go to university
>get tired of walking to the "good" dining hall
>get tired of 3x buffet every day
>try a few simple recipes over the course of a month
>realize I've already surpassed my parents in cooking skill
>consider committing Sudoku over 17+ years of wasting youthful metabolism on shitty cooking.

got bored of moms same 10 dinners and basically just found foodwishes on here. from there, i just made dinner every now and then to help out mom, and now i have a few cookbooks and im better at eyeballing stuff.

I used to snoop around the kitchen while my mom was cooking, seeing all the pots and pans used for the same dish made me incredibly curious, but my mom had a temper while cooking, so I remember her telling me something like: "If you're so fucking curious why don't you come here and help me out instead?"
And I did, so it was a pretty nice introduction, plus Mexican cooking/recipes are all about "my granny/mom/aunt always did it this way" so it was also a surefire way to spark a conversation with my gf's moms, always made me look good I guess

Attached: 667f049d-cbf3-4ce3-befc-cc45de565b53.jpg (1080x1350, 303K)

My mom was a terrible cook. Everything must be cooked well done so it has no flavor. Uses water instead of stock or alcohol. I didn't want to eat her food anymore so I started to learned to cook as a teenager.

I was an asiaboo and wanted to try asian food
I didn't have any authentic asian places near me, only shitty chinese-american take out
Learned some recipes and just kept cooking, moving on to other cuisines

Same. When I was a kid my mother wouldn't allow me to cook anything even if she was a shitty cook that would overcook everything (literally opposite Jack). Left the house when I was 18 so I had to learn.

My mom never really cooked. I never really learned how

Last year I got tired of eating out and spending too much money. Also wanted the pride of making my own food.

Six months later I can make some pretty good shit

Very similar, personally. Have an upboat

I liked spaghetti and "went" to afternoon school when I was 13 so my schedule was completely different from my family so I never saw them. I had to eat so I learned.

My mother was an excellent cook so she taught me a bit and I like good food, simple as that

My old man because mom is a vegan and her food was bland as fuck.

Every female member of my family is a terrible cook.
Anything my grandmother cooks will give you either diarrhea, stomeach cramp or make you throw up. I am not exaggerating.
My mother just has no idea what to do with food in general and makes stuff that is mostly bland.
My gf is just happy that I cook becasue she is afraid to go to the kitchen.

My parents stopped feeding me in high school and I had to eat.

I started with pasta + prego and frozen shit and went on from there. By the time I moved out, I could make pretty decent food. I've almost mastered grocery shopping, so now I cook based around what was on sale.

Gotta eat to live, mane. It's a skill everyone should have. Also a lot more cost-effective (and fucking sanitary) to make your own shit.

My uncle liked to cook and made the best food I had ever had. I learned to discern quality and realized most restaraunts don't make very good food, so you have to do it yourself.

My mom.

Was tired of spending money on take out/ethnic foods and wanted to practice making them myself.
Now I can have a large supply of food for the work week, and impress art hoes with my cooking abilities.

My mother had me do the preparation part of some meals

I dislike standing out or interacting with other people, so I needed a unremarkable hobby that I could do at home and could use to answer "what do you like to do?" type questions.
I don't actually like cooking all that much, but I don't dislike it either.

My aunt taught me how to cook when I could barely see over the stove. I liked it, then in highschool I got into a little more when I reached that weird stage in highschool when you go "gothic" and research herbs and started to experiment with cooking myself.

I didn't really get "into" cooking until a few years later though, when I went completely vegan and had to learn how to cook myself in a house filled with people who ate like shit.

I have nothing better to do with my time and it’s a comfy pastime.

I've always been interested. Started off as a kid with tomato soup and spaghetti. It evolved over time with more and more complicated dishes.

That's exactly my situation now. I'm 18, at uni and can't afford to move out alone yet. She doesn't let me cook anything aside from the odd dish once a month, which almost always has been better than her flavourless cooking. She always manages to make everything taste just so bland. I wish I could get more practical skill rather than just reading / watching cooking stuff.

It started at uni with adding things to instant noodles, and trying to be creative with a toasted sandwich maker

The need to eat kinda got me into cooking

Wanring to get laid, it worked

My dad got me I to grilling and he also did a bunch of other cooking. I ended up moving back in with him when he got cancer so I cooked all the meals for us. Then I got a job as a cook at a restaurant where I learned a whole bunch. Got a second job at a restaurant as a line cook too. Now I no longer cook professionally, but I still enjoy it.

Unironically Shokugeki no Soma

>Out of necessity?

Yes. 99% of people learn to cook because they need to.

This is also the same reason all modern american rich white women are fucking useless in the kitchen. Spoiled white cunt's don't need to cook. They just order take out, sit around and blog about how they're entitled to shit.

>waah I hate you mommy
Urban asian male here. I just want you to know that you've probably called me your mom dozens of times on Veeky Forums because you apparently can't figure out any other way to explain away people who have different opinions than you. Gas vs. electric? Waah mommy mommy I hate you. What beer is best? Waah you don't like my favorite beer, mommy mommy I hate you. What's the best way to cook beef? Boo hoo mommy stop oppressing me mommy. This is you.

>modern american rich white women are fucking useless in the kitchen

You don't need the qualifiers, "american" or "rich".

Just "white women are useless" is accurate enough.

wtf are you ranting about my mom? My mother is Canto and can cook circles around any white cunt. I fucking love my mommy.

White women one the other hand, are pretty much only useful as jizz rags.

Mom was a pretty decent cook, always looking for new things to try from all over the world. Not that she cooked authentic, it was just the typical simplified/westernized recipes she got from her magazines but still. When I moved out for university I realized I just couldn't afford to eat out every day and have even remotely the same quality of food. I just can't fathom how people can live on just burgers and pizza every day. So there.

If Im a NEET might as well spend my time eating well instead of eating ramen and other cheap shit

the year before i went to uni my mum got me the fat duck cookbook. i had a friend who lived round the corner who used to come round and we'd cook these 3-day long recipes in massive quantities.

when i moved to uni cooking just became my thing. i spent all my money on it.

i was a fat kid but not super into food until i got that cookbook.

this desu. when I stopped being a fatass I started to appreciate food a lot more.

Parents aren't great cooks, but I had family members who were chefs. We would go over to their houses on major holidays for big family dinners and the food was OUTSTANDING. So I eventually pieced together that I might eventually get to that level and started cooking.

my father used to grill steaks and make all sorts of foods from different cultures, and my most fond memories are of us chilling out and cooking food together. Probably why cooking is so ingrained in me now.

>What got you into cooking?
Having to eat army chow in the field and garrison motivated me to learn how to cook when I had down time.

my mom took "hands off" parenting to the logical extreme.
useless whore.

all of the above
family member taught me, mom being a shit cook presented me with much needed impulse to improve. I always liked cooking, but I like it more now then when I was young. It's such a varied art, and the things you make are so wonderfully perishable.
think about it. a perfect steak is perfect for about five minutes... all those moments will be lost in time

is it the low testosterone that makes you urban asians such enormous manginas, I wonder

My mom was a mediocre cook. Run of the mill suburban housewife cook the flavor out of it. She has her specialty dishes tho.
I have an illness that decreases my appetite
I don't get hungry but i still need to eat
Only like food if it tastes good
I like it spicy but my family is plain
I like variety in my meals
Took a cooking class
Watch a fair amount of cooking channel and Gordon Ramsay videos.
I have random cravings so I grocery for what I want and cook it. I look for sales too.

My GF is good with baking and i bring up the cooking.

is it depression? pls be depression

Agreed. Modern white women just make for terrible mothers in general.

Living alone. I’m a shitty cook but I’m not picky when it comes to food

Nope. Crohn's disease. I'm all good in the head tho, aside from some psychopathic tendencies

well, fuck. it wasn't depression. good luck to you user
try the worms if all else fails

My mom wanted to teach somebody and everyone else I met puts a basic chicken in the oven and calls it cooking.

Nigger mothers are worse

As far as depression goes you might want to try making sweets or spicy foods. The sugar will give you dopamine and the heat will give you pain that will distract you from the existential dread.

My mother got me into cooking. After she kicked my dad out for no reason I found out that she's terrible at cooking, and it was a choice between cooking for myself, eating shitty corner store food all the time, or eating her food.

i got into cooking when i was young because of my father but i stopped cooking at some point and started again when i went to university.
always been into food though, dad was legit in the kitchen

>Urban asian "male"
Say no more.

Attached: 1479421185575.gif (538x572, 338K)

Miserable

cookingcomically.com/

>Urban asian

I believe the proper term is "Chinegro"

Attached: ZanLife.jpg (401x401, 32K)

I started as a dishwasher in high school and cooked to pay the bills in college, i just kind of fell into it. after i got a non cooking related degree I kept cooking anyways, I finished school 8 years ago and i'm still doing it.

I don't know why but this picture pisses me off.

My dad went into culinary and worked in a Greek restaurant until he decided the industry was ruining it for him and took up programming instead.

I started with baking easy shit like peanut butter cookies and learned muh cooking/knife handling techniques from dad.

The compliments I got in the beginning were enough to light the spark. Since moving out, 95%+ of my meals I cook myself. With practice, my food is much better (and cheaper) than going out.

>everyone else I met puts a basic chicken in the oven and calls it cooking.
Plebs
I personally use nothing but advanced chicken

lol you decadent

Yikes

>What got you into cooking?
Needing to eat

You have any more like that? For research

chocolate also helps, yes. thank you :)
do you FODMAP?

I don't follow any strict diet but I stay away or limit foods that hurt me. Like milk, nuts, and corn.