Fermentation General

Fermentation Station
This thread is for anyone that wants to discuss pickling, saurkraut, kimchi or food preservations.

Tonight I will be making a quick pickled kimchi come follow along and discuss what you have going on.

Attached: IMG_20180311_222054179.jpg (4032x3024, 3.73M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PrEC_81y6R4
amazon.com/Fermented-Vegetables-Creative-Fermenting-Chutneys/dp/1612124259/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1520909914&sr=8-2&keywords=fermented vegetables
phickle.com/soak-those-oats-fermented-oatmeal-is-better-than-your-oatmeal/
youtube.com/watch?v=iiNl0Jv6xTw
youtube.com/watch?v=9s4JWxJII5w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Sanitized my mason jars and washed my veggies

Attached: IMG_20180311_223218389.jpg (3024x4032, 1.53M)

Fascinating.

was able to can 20+ jars of Dill pickles last year, ended up giving about half away. am planning on expanding pickle varieties.

Attached: [b]ickles.jpg (4032x3024, 1.93M)

Brewing some kombucha myself

botulism?

Where did you get your scobie?

Keep the thread alive I'm peeling garlic and carrots the boring stuff now

Botulism grows in oxygen-free environments, dickfuck

Lacto-fermented or vinegar?

Just dumped a bottle of GTS original in a two quart jar along with the tea.

Dude, you're going to get listeria and salmonella from your poopy Mexican hands handling food dude, lmao.

Okay so basic peeling and picking is done quick ingredient list we got cukes
Korean chili powder
Fresh ginger
Garlic cloves
Fish sauce
Sambal
Soy sauce
Shrimp paste (recipe calls for salted shrimp but the store didn't have it and I use paste for my longer kimchi recipe so I'm sure it will be fine)
Some carrots
Cilantro
Scallions
This isn't a traditional kimchi with cabbage but you can add it if you want, pretty much any veggies will work, it preps about 30 minutes and is done overnight. I have a better recipe I can post for a traditional kimchi but I can only see it working in a thread if made ahead of time

Attached: IMG_20180311_231055881.jpg (4032x3024, 1.27M)

Why did you start a new thread you dumb cunt

When I get back home next week I was thinking of making suntea and turning that into kombucha if the weather stays warm

Vinegar.

The old thread was practically dead bro the OP finished up his beer and leek soup by the time I got back from the store. I saw no reason not to just do a fermentation general as we used to have them regularly and haven't in ages.
So adding 5 tablespoons of sugar and 1 tablespoon of salt to cure the cucumbers for about 10 minutes or so.

Attached: IMG_20180311_232706776.jpg (3024x4032, 3.59M)

no Napa. booo
post recipe for kimchi

Attached: 1519814901688.png (746x540, 368K)

Attached: Screenshot_20180311-044731.png (1080x1920, 368K)

Might make this ahead of time and post it but that won't happen for another month

Attached: Screenshot_20180311-044753.png (1080x1920, 356K)

My batch of "chili dillies" just finished. They taste most excellent. Crisp too.

Chilli dillies? Never heard of them

Okay so 1 tablespoon of Korean chili powder
4 tablespoons ginger
1 tablespoon of the shrimp paste
and two tablespoons of the soy sauce, sambal and fish sauce mixed together with miced cilantro and scallions. I'm going to let that rest and marinade whole I finish shredding the carrots then I will mix them in with the cucumbers.

Attached: IMG_20180311_235356333.jpg (3024x4032, 1.25M)

Mix everything together cucumbers, salt, sugar juices and all. Jar it up make sure everything is under liquid if it isn't apply a little pressure and the juices will come out. Be sure not to overfill it as the kimchi will produce gas so if you don't want to bust up your lids. I'm going away for a week so I'll probably need to burp them when I get back.

Attached: IMG_20180312_001738541.jpg (4032x3024, 1.19M)

>soy sauce
no thanks

Just dill pickles with a few thai chilies thrown in

Ah mind went to just pickled jalapenos. Still sounds good though I'll bet they are hella good fried up too. Usually for my pickles I just do bread and butter style but occasionally I'll do a 5% lacto brine with jalapenos in that recipe but I don't think I've done a dill with them yet I'll try them next time I make some.

Attached: 1520290747338.jpg (700x695, 115K)

You’re an idiot

I ordered this on Amazon yesterday so I can take my first crack at kimchi, has anyone used fermentation containers instead of plain jars?

Whoops forgot picture

Attached: 618BtKyCQ7L._SY355_.jpg (355x355, 18K)

youtube.com/watch?v=PrEC_81y6R4

It's 77 degrees Fahrenheit in my house almost all year long. It's very rare that it gets cooler than that. From what I gather, this is too warm for a good lacto fermentation to happen. What do people in stupid climates do if they want to try this stuff?

I had a pint a day kombucha Homebrew habit for a bit. Did sauerkraut for a bit too. Now I'm down to my sourdough starter. Got a nice pizza dough in the fridge.

>fermentation general
ALRIGHT. NOW THIS IS MY TYPE OF THREAD.

Gonna be brewing a stout Later on when it hits morning. Want to add some coffee. Best to add it during primary or secondary?

Only people that live in rural areas still use the large pots (hangari), and even in rural areas people use Kimchi refrigerators. Most people just put Kimchi in those rectangular plastic containers and put them in the fridge. Some people also use steel containers if they don't like the plastic flavor that (very slowly) builds up. Also health concerns.

Anyways, I have a Kimchi container like the one you have. That looks pretty normal.

Attached: kim.png (500x281, 267K)

split the batch in two and see for yourself.

Gonna try to make kimchi for the first time tomorrow, wish me luck

The authors of this book are jewish faggots but it has info on how to pickle almost anything you could possibly want and it's one of the more useful gifts I've ever received: amazon.com/Fermented-Vegetables-Creative-Fermenting-Chutneys/dp/1612124259/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1520909914&sr=8-2&keywords=fermented vegetables

Good luck, but you won't need it. It's actually super easy.

Who /sauerkraut/ here? Pic related is some juniper berries I found and added to a 1qt jar of kraut I made. Fucking delicious on the side with some sausages.

Attached: 20171230_144257.jpg (3713x2214, 2.67M)

You can just re-use large kimchi jars that you buy from the store, lid and all.

I got 2 gallons of whole milk last night because they expired the day before. They taste fine so I'm making loads of yogurt. I wonder if I'll even be able to eat it all before it goes bad

" Free from work *

Cooch

I tried lacto-fermenting achar (mixed pickled vegetables, with a spice paste) but it ended up turning into a boozy mess (the reicpe I was working with had a fair amount of sugar in the spice mixture, as well as chunks of pineapple in the vegetable mix).

I'm thinking of fermenting the fruit and veg in a simple brine, straining it once I'm satisfied, and then adding the spice mixture before letting it settle in the fridge.

Attached: 12405425675_c697ac0ca4_b.jpg (1024x683, 388K)

That's about the average temp in my house too, sometimes warmer. I've made several successful batches of sauerkraut and hot sauce. You just need to adjust for a much more aggressive fermentation - speedy initial CO2 buildup, for one, and my fermentation times are generally half of typical recommendations I see online.

Thanks, definitely going to try this with my next garden harvest.

Oh look everyone the Proud Boys have come to ruin the thread.

SOY!

>Boozy
Might have gotten infected with wild yeast maybe

So lacto fermenting it and then seasoning it and letting it settle? What percentage of salt solution we're you thinking 5%?

How long do you usually let the saurkraut go for? I made some but I haven't tasted it yet been about a month and looks like the OP first pic

>5%
Probably, yeah. Any thoughts on higher/lower percentages?

2-5% is average for lacto-fermented stuff I've been told you only need 2% for most veggies but honestly every time I've done a brine with that low salt it literally gets completely fucked I'm in a hot and humid area though so I have to keep an eye on them and I'm away too much for it this season. I would try 2% burp it everyday until it is more or less there like 3 weeks then add the chili so it can all finish together with the juices from the chili as well. It might get better a few weeks after that as the chili paste liquid gets into the veggies via osmosis

The brine salt percentage is irrelevant. The resulting global salt percentage has to be >1.8%.

You can also try using a little bit of diluted yogurt or kefir (or strain some yogurt for the whey and cultivate that) rather than using salt since the probiotics are already present it is just introducing the culture to a new medium

Only if you buy Kimchi. We make big batches at home because a typical Korean home finishes an entire container in 2-3 weeks

That's what I mean, buy it once or twice and then save the containers to use and make your own over and over

Depends, you can always taste it after about a week and see if it's suitable for you yet. I usually put mine in the fridge after 2-3 weeks to stop if from oversouring, after which it continues to improve. Probably reaches ideal taste after a month total.

To add to this, the premade kimchi jars from the store (at least at the local Korean grocery where I live) are glass. So you're getting a much higher quality storage container for free without risk of plastic byproducts in your kimchi.

Pic related best lactofermented food of all time coming through.

Attached: 240.png (300x485, 160K)

Is this why my fermentation cookbook recommends a higher salt% for cucumbers than other vegetables?

What I meant:
-If using just vegetables, salt must be >2% of the vegetable mass.
-If using brine, the salt contained in the brine must be >2% of the brine+vegetable mass.

i.e. 1 kg of 5% brine can be used for no more than 1.5 kg of vegetables.

phickle.com/soak-those-oats-fermented-oatmeal-is-better-than-your-oatmeal/

Has anyone ever been as far to want to go to try this oatmeal?

Are there any links to the old threads? Basically like all of them if possible... they're all so useful.

Honestly just invest in a book on lactofermenting vegetables. They'll have a ton of recipes you never even thought of and it's more convenient to have on hand when you're actually in the kitchen.

I tried soaked oats but the recipe called for yogurt, lemon juice or vinegar (something acidic, 1 tbsp) and letting sit overnight. It was ok-ish, I prefer the usual overnight oats recipe or just cooking them as is. But I can say I noticed I digested it better with the soaking.

On another subject, I have too much water kefir grains, what can I do with them other than giving them away?

Meant to post this hours ago but my power went out. Started making kimchi and pickled daikon

Attached: food.jpg (1536x2048, 552K)

i didn't fuck up!

Attached: kimchiiiiii.jpg (720x960, 96K)

As in kimchi with daikon, or was the pickled daikon something separate?

Anyone know how to make shibazuke?

Attached: shibazuke1.jpg (800x533, 85K)

I put some daikon in the kimchi () but the pickled daikon is in the ziplock baggies

Only thing I tried is soaking muesli in fruit kefir for 5-10min when I used to have breakfast. It gets tender, then sour if you let it ferment longer. Worth trying.

At work we've started doing a lot of cool projects.

Grilled corn chow chow, fermented jalepeno yoghurt, cultured cream, a variant of kimchi based on a curry coleslaw we make, fermented cherry tomatoes we blend into a sauce with our brisket juices, fermented romaine cabbage...

Latest project is fermenting corn which I want to blend and infuse into a vinegar.

If anything sounds interesting and you'd like me to elaborate, go ahead and ask.

Nice! What work? Aren't higiene regulations bitches?

tell me more about the curry coleslaw kimchi thing

Fernented jalepeno yogurt? Do you ferment the jalepenos separely and then blend them into the yogurt or what?

youtube.com/watch?v=iiNl0Jv6xTw

Found this to be helpful and interesting.

Just basic lacto fermentation for most of that? Do you ferment the jalapenos first then blend with yogurt? Because that sounds like itd be bangin

>made fermented yukon gold potato croquettes (put boiled yukons in mixer w paddle, and i think one quart of yogurt to 4 quarts potato and cover w cheese cloth let sit out for 1-2 nights depending in temp), small dice lacto fermented jalapenos, form w 1/3 cup, bread and fry

Help me! Need to pickle a few jars of a specific assortment of ingredients. If I can't get one of them fresh, is it okay if I continue as usual using canned material just for that one product? Assume substituting or omitting are non options. Thank you!

Im sure itll be fine, bro

>fennel, cauliflower, shallot, red and yellow pepper pickle mix

Yummm

Small restaurant in Western Australia. No issues with regulations.

Had our first stab at it last night. We make a slaw for our fried chicken that involves making a curry paste, deeply cooking out tomatoes and onions and then folding through capsicum, carrots and green cabbage. We call it chakalaka slaw. So I took some of the curry paste and blended it into a standard kimchi base recipe, replaced the green cabbage with brined nappa and added green onions. Pretty excited to see how it turns out.

Yeah, kinda. I do a 2% salt ferment on the jalepenos, blend them down with green onions and lots of lime juice and then fold that mixture through yoghurt. I originally made it for a chicken wing special, but now it's going on a pumpkin dish.

Attached: IMG_20180314_202344_775.jpg (1458x1458, 330K)

>a 2% salt ferment on the jalepenos, blend them down with green onions and lots of lime juice and then fold that mixture through yoghurt.
Fuck, that sounds good. I make my own yoghurt and sometimes there's just too much to eat straight. Would that go with birdseye chilis, do you think?

Only one way to find out, señor faggotini

Whats the best way to start learning to ferment stuff without investing a shitload in recipes and fucking it all up?

I don't see why not. Different flavour and heat withstanding.

Cheap ingredients, simple recipes, user. That and taking whatever you haven't used for meals out of your fridge and going ham. Those carrots, garlic and onions aren't going anywhere.

Aforementioned pumpkin dish. Twice roasted delicatas, fermented jalapeño yoghurt, grilled corn chow chow and toasted pepitas.

Attached: FB_IMG_1521036276060.jpg (1080x1080, 99K)

help me, OP. i started some sauerkraut about two weeks ago, but i fucked up and used iodized sea salt for my brine. i've been burping the jar every day (i keep it in my pantry), but i haven't really seen any bubbling. is it gonna kill me or nah?

Please don't tell me that's mache.

That shit tastes like cologne you'd find on clearance at CVS. I mean it's pretty much suicide, the herb.

Attached: It's Evil Don't Touch.png (480x360, 94K)

How do I make hot sauce that tastes like cholula or valentina? I made a lacto hot sauce and it's ok but it's way too sweet and even with vinegar added it's not the same

>lacto hot sauce
>sweet
nigga what did you do

Nah, we have a guy who grows amazing microherbs. These ones have an earthy grassy taste that helps binds the nutty pumpkin flavour with the sweet acid of the corn pickle.

How does it smell/look?

it looks fine. no mold or discoloration. it smelled like farts for the first week when i burped it, but that's starting to dissipate.

Salt water brine and like 5 days of fermentation with red jalapeños, came out salty sweetish and not as funky and acidic as I wanted

youtube.com/watch?v=9s4JWxJII5w

Rice bran pickles.

good thread, would like to try doing some saurkraut or kimchi when i get back in my kitchen

pls accept this Patti OP :)

Attached: IMG_20180315_031311926-1600x900.jpg (1600x900, 256K)

That's because complete lacto-fermentation takes ~3 weeks.

Honestly if you aren't seeing any overt signs of spoilage and it tastes OK you're probably fine to eat it. Although you'll lose any probiotic benefit.

anyone has a basic lacto hotsauce recipe to share?

>roughly chop peppers
>immerse in 5% brine
>weigh them down so that none of the peppers are floating around, exposed to air
>burp the container periodically, until you notice that they're no longer bubbling aggressively
>keep an eye out for kahm yeast (white scum) and skim as necessary. if you get moulds/growths of other colours, you might be in trouble
>wait a couple of weeks or months, depending on your average room temperature
>drain peppers, reserving brine
>add as much brine as you like to blend it to a consistency you like
>add something acidic (vinegar, lemon/lime juice) and fridge it to keep it stable
Pretty much all I did on my first two batches

dang. is it cause i used iodized salt?

some question:
-How do i make sweet/sour cucumbers/pickles
-can i make pickles from big cucumbers i sliced into strips
-what is a decent recipe for fermented cucumber i had one that just used added dill and onion but it wasnt all that great
-i once read somewhere that you can boil your brine and then add it to hard vegetables like carrots and green beans before closing the lid to get them nice and soft, since fermenting them will still make them feel uncooked. which is mainly a problem for the green beans.

Thanks. So you fold the jalepenos in only right before serving or do you store the yogurt in that state?