Coffee Thread

Teafags go back to Not So Great Britain edition.

Been drinking kicking horse coffee, alternating between pourovers and drip machine. I find a distinct difference between this and the store brand dark roast, wish I could source it cheaper.

I've also committed to trying several storage methods for my beans, call me a snob but I notice another distinct difference between storing each dose in an airtight and having one big resealable container. Gonna post pics of my autism stash later. For now got to shop a bit, might have some cuban style espresso.

Attached: V1_KHNB00253383_C1N1.jpg (514x1000, 132K)

Other urls found in this thread:

philsebastian.com/
youtu.be/wmCW8xSWGZY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>dark roast
>call me a snob
Ok, "you're a snob". That will be the only time you'll hear that from anyone, but since you asked me to, I'll try and help. You pleb tastelet.

coffee is awful compared to a nice cuppa tea

I'm so confused

what's this thread about? coffee storage methods? tea hate? cuban espresso?

take some adderall and try to start your thread again.

Here's how I just packed 10 doses of grizzly claw. If I open one a month later it will still be dark brown with the essential oils of the bean still visible on the surface, perfect flavor.

Whoops here goes

Attached: IMG_20180312_121446.jpg (1280x720, 382K)

>not allowing your beans to degas properly

No coffee should EVER be roasted dark enough for any surface oils. I don't really like anything darker than Tim Wendelboe's roasting.

Found this stuff in whole foods, is it good?

Attached: 8AA87F1F-502F-4BB0-AA99-638BD68A3159.jpg (1903x2046, 855K)

It's not the worst thing ever, but there's better coffee even at whole foods

I buy my coffee from local roasters, pic related. Great fucking coffee, if you go into their roastery they will not sell you coffee but they will give you the best shot of espresso that you will ever have in your life. These men are true masters of their craft. They go around to the stores they sell to at the end of the week and pull coffee that is still on the shelves and they replace it. They are that dedicated. They want their customers to have the best coffee experience possible. God damn I love living in the mountains.

Attached: Scott bros.png (700x200, 125K)

I recently got a hario v60 has a good choice been made

What brands should I look for? I saw peet's also, how are their blends?

Kicking horse is trash.

Peets is worse. You should try to find a mid to smaller roaster in your area, whatever I have at my whole foods won't apply to you unless you live near me.

Oh you mean like a small local roaster? I live in LA so I should be able to find one.
Also I wanted to ask, I french press my stuff, but this hand grinder I have is so much effort. What's a grinder I can get for like $100? I was looking at the refurb Baratza Encores

Yeah, they tend to carry the big national brands (Peets, Stumptown etc) and then a selection of smaller regional brands. Don't go too small with the roaster.

The Encore is a good grinder. Make sure you get it from an authorized dealer though. Part of the reason people love Baratza is the service in case something goes wrong.

How do you roast a coffee bean using your hands

This is my all time favorite coffee, so smooth and delicious

Attached: 81zGooIo8mL._SY606_.jpg (340x606, 72K)

Do you heat up the water in a regular kettle or electric kettle?

Attached: yanagi_wh_1024x.jpg (1000x1000, 42K)

I grow my own

Attached: 20121227_092430.jpg (3264x2448, 2.04M)

Big Bang is my favorite Peet's blend. Try that one. I think it's the best grocery store coffee in that price range. Also, they stamp the roast date on the front of the bag so you don't get suckered by the grocery store.

I know kuerigs are sacrilege or whatever but I got one as a gift. Are there any legitimately good k cups or is it all just stale coffee mixed with BPA that will make me a soyboy?

Coffee is beer, tea is wine.

Fire... at your fingertips!

Attached: Incinerate!_Slide_3.png (608x360, 211K)

yet good coffee requires thousand dollar setups while good tea only requires a handful of leaves and a pot of boiling water. who's the fucking poorfag plebian?

Anyone that says "source" instead of "buy" is a snob by default.

>degassing

Isn't that a misconception? I've made coffee using beans that I homeroasted myself on the day of roasting them, and the cup comes out beautifully.

>thousand $ setups
>letting companies rip you off with overly expensive espresso machines and grinders

A Moka pot, aeropress, french press, pourover device, viet filter, or turkish coffee pot won't cost you an arm and a leg.

If you miss crema there are espresso machines that just cost around $200, including manual pump machines like Flair and Rok.

This is pure trash.
It's alright.
Garbage.
Temperature accurate electric.
In the roasting process gas does get locked into the pores of the bean, as does during grinding (friction, heat). When you brew you should allow 25 seconds or so for you coffee grounds to degas in about 25-50 grams of water depending on how much coffee there is.

I don't really do aeropress anymore, I've gotten too good at pour overs.

Attached: aeropress.jpg (980x980, 109K)

Flavor cuck

Name a better

go away, adults are talking

>try all sort of beans with varying degrees of roastness (from medium to light)
>from le ebin single source south american jungle and processed through a hipster's rectum to from whatever the fuck island with each bean individually handpicked and roasted. I even tried civet shit coffee.
>go back to kirkland's $15/3lb beans
Is it all a meme unless you go full retard with dark roast?

no, your taste buds just aren't very good
be grateful, life is cheaper that way

but user I can decently replicate a dish the first try just by having one taste of it. How do I become coffee-woke?

How are you brewing?

French press (fell for the espro meme,) aeropress sometimes, but almost always french press. Pour over with a chemex is fine too but weekdays is almost always french press

Could be anything, then. Water temp, grind size, or steep time. You're generally gonna wanna go from 195 to 200 F, with a coarse grind and 3-5 minutes for the steep (to taste).

Doing that, you should be noting differences between coffee. It's not a meme, really - it more matters if you care about it or not. For perspective, I prefer to do coffees that are nutty/earthy in a French Press. It's better for coffees that are pretty oily.

I can tell between frenched, dripped, poured, espresso'd, and deconstructed coffee (a.k.a. instant coffee) but of different beans with the same general roast and the same process, not so much.

Right, that's what I mean. If you're using what I mentioned above you should be noticing how different coffees taste. You'll get ones that taste earthy or nutty, others that taste acidic and like citrus, some that taste naturally sweet and fruity.

Could it be the water? My girlfriend gets gassy when she drink from the tap but it doesn't bother me. Then again I drink from the tap whenever I visit LA no problems.

what do you guys think of this coffee
i've always wanted to try it

Attached: Black-Label-Society-Zakk-Wylde-Valhalla-Java-Odinforce-Coffee-604x604.png (604x604, 278K)

looks like it's trying to appeal to teenaged boys

kind of like most IPA these days

Could be the water, sure. Give it a test sometime with some pure distilled water and see how it turns out.

wow you fanboy over the sriracha of coffee and store it in mason jars haha ur such a snob!

That first /sip/ of the day....

Attached: 03245350-b4c4-4de0-b6c9-ef8464249df2_1.8122724f60dc4f937db1053cb190e74d.jpg (2365x2365, 499K)

A very fedora thing to say.

If you arent drinking valhalla java and blackbeard's delight, what the fuck?

Also anyone have that white nationalist coffee yet? Their website got taken down, but apparently you can still order it, but I dunno if its worth the effort, called "rising sun coffee company"

Its dark and fruity, probably my third favorite. Try it at least once if you drink dark roasts.

Best poverty coffee.

Its more akin to petroleum stout than an IPA.
The odin theme is because its a collaboration between deathwish and zakk wylde, which a teenager these days would scarcely be aware of.

Does anyone here work in coffee or is it just dudes using k-cups at home?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 8.58.50 PM.png (1394x1104, 2.74M)

working through samples today

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 9.02.06 PM.png (1524x990, 1.61M)

Do you ever drink your nice coffee through reusable k-cups? I stopped using a pot because I found myself too often not finishing it, but I have to wonder if all that fucking plastic hurts the flavor.

for starters try looking for your coffee someplace other than a fucking grocery store you fucking pleb. seeing as your fucking leaf, try 49th parallel if you are in BC, phil & sebastian if you are in alberta, dogwood if you are in manitoba, or pilot coffee if you are in ontario. or actually try pilot coffee wherever you are. they make some of the best coffee in north america.

Just get a porcelain cone for a pour-over.

Coffeefags, what is the best brand of mochajava?

no if i'm lazy I always have a couple bottles of cold brew hanging around or just hit one of the good shops in town for a cup of batch brew.

>tfw been doing fancy pour overs for months unawares
>drip coffeemaker breaks
>never replace it
>pour hot water into broken coffeemaker instead
>never hear of pour over until this thread
>read alton brown instructional article on it and have been doing it exactly as he describes by accident for months.

Attached: e8663d8db1b48400d608783bc0985c42--la-pipe-pipe-smoking.jpg (640x640, 100K)

>Is it all a meme unless you go full retard with dark roast?
Don't talk shit about my negrita
Its got a beautiful tarry flavour

Attached: negrita.jpg (550x951, 252K)

>tfw light roasts taste better than dark roasts but also give u stomach acid

pourover was just the normal way to make coffee growing up

the only reason it's considered "fancy" is that some hipster shops make it one cup at a time

>recently ditched instant coffee for real fresh ground french pressed
>enjoying it a lot
>but still making it in the "regular" style of mostly water with a dash of milk and sugar (the way other bongs make their tea and instant coffee)
>finally decide to get serious and make it in the proper cafe au lait style
>tastes glorious
>tried to make it the old water
>tastes horrible

I can't go back, I should have been drinking it like this all along.

I'm still struggling to get on the black coffee train though, tastes not good, I think I'll need to get fresh roasted coffee straight from a roaster (and purified water?) before that works for me.

the old way*

the best coffee to drink black isn't necessarily the best coffee to drink with milk, although there are some blends that are supposed to be "universal"

I'll take that in mind, I'm using Lavazza red brand beans at the moment and it's not working black.

My manual burr grinder isn't all that expensive though so I don't know if that contributes.

Pleeease coffeefaggotas recommend me a good brand of mochajava. I want to splurge and buy some beans online but don't want to waste money on dried out flavorless crap. Also what is best dark roast. Please help me coffee autistas I need your miracle advice.

Attached: download (5).jpg (275x183, 8K)

light roasts taste like dirty water you fucking savage

best darkroast is blackbeard's delight.

Thankyou, this looks good.

>fruit, berry, chocolate, spice, caramel

vs

>smoke

mk

this. 'dark roasts' are for fucking mongs who don't actually enjoy coffee only pretend to

What if I like both?

>phil & sebastian if you are in alberta
You wouldn't happen to know who sells that, would ya?
t. Calgaryfag that's barely getting into "proper" coffee and swears by Kicking Horse because it's just the best I've tried so far.

If it didn't come with one, pick up one of those pack-it-yourself strainer cup fuckers.
If you don't have time to sit and stoke a virgin flame to boil your water or whatever the hoighty-toighty fucks do, it's a decent way to brew a quick cup.

What liqour do you put in your cohee?

>Coffee is beer, tea is juice.
ftfy

Phil & Sebastian is roasted right in Calgary, numbnuts. They have 5 locations. And any half decent espresso shop will carry their beans as well (fuck you can find P&S in several shops here in Winnipeg). If you're too autistic to walk into a coffeeshop just order online for delivery to your home.

philsebastian.com/

o damn nigga, didn't realize. thanks

Fuck off I highly enjoy their smart ass blend

Post dem autismo kits.

>Lido E-T
>Chem scales (upgrading to an acacia pearl)
>Hario Kettle (im upgrading to a Fellow EKG)
>Reverse Osmosis water + remineralization kit
>Some good coffee from Camber Roasters (not pictured)
>Based v60 with this method: youtu.be/wmCW8xSWGZY

Attached: 619E0E79-C073-4841-A887-8A45F71CC316.jpg (4032x3024, 2.46M)

You fags probably despise their music but they actually have really good coffee

Attached: oakland-brand-organic-coffee.jpg (1200x650, 100K)

Shot of whiskey, sambuca, frangelica, chambord, grappa, drambuie, or white wine on the side. Or Irish coffee.

I have terribly high blood pressure, so I switched to Decaf. Its not great, but it helps. I was suffering hypertension (about 160 over 100) constantly, and caffeine was spiking it to 180/100 or sometimes 180/110.

Who here /cantdrinkcoffee/

Attached: 1457538667074.jpg (750x670, 89K)

America's Test Kitchen rated Peet's and Millstone whole bean as bretty good over others at the supermarket, with those brands retaining much more moisture than others tested.

Fuck ATK reviewing ingredients like coffee beans. Stick to hardware reviews; it's a lot less subjective, even if it is still highly subjective.

They do blind taste tests, and sometimes no items in the test receive a good rating.

Potboiled coffee made by my grandma is the best ive ever had and it was on a stovestop

500ml coffee cups
y/n?

Attached: tea.jpg (2560x1920, 1.41M)

I personally Don't fuck with the roasting shit, but being a britfag I do love me some Italian Roast Taylor's coffee. Nothing smells quite as nice as those ground up beans but into a french press with water at 70°C and having the rich aroma of the coffee hit your nose in the morning.

Why 70? It's all about them polyphenols. To keep short, They are really good for you and a good compromise between yield and variety of polyphenols you can get out of the coffee.

Attached: 81nKW4RqB2L._SX385_.jpg (385x385, 23K)

>70°C
>Italian roast
Wow. Over-roasted, yet under-extracted. Your coffee must taste like dirty mop water.

What if I like both coffee and tea?

Retard.

Bamp

nice

King State is a dude from Underoath and a dude from Anberlin

>had like 4 times my normal dose today
>crashed about 3 hours after the last
>tired, shaky, confused, nauseous
This is normal, yeah?