What is considered peasant food in your country or region?

What is considered peasant food in your country or region?

Attached: 1B5D7EA3-92C3-4B79-9410-CFEF5FEB6898.jpg (1200x784, 187K)

>BC, Canada
Kraft Dinner and fast food? Here poor people eat overpriced garbage. A lot of the meals I cook would be considered European peasant fare, like pasta e faglioli.

American cheese
Hotdogs
Mac and cheese
Oreos
Salisbury steak
Hungry man dinners
Soda
Energy drinks

This. Also at least in my area this also includes almost every form of fast food.

Attached: pintos and ham.jpg (1600x1200, 198K)

Attached: cabbage.jpg (960x720, 98K)

Mexican and Tex/Mex
Soul food
Grits

I actually really want to try borscht, ukraine is on my to-go list.

In norway it's just this shitty pizza for those who have given up on life

Attached: download.jpg (225x225, 14K)

Peasant food as in home cooked food. Anything else is just poor people food.

There’s different tiers of poor people food. For example I think that frozen pizzas are poor tier. My GF grew up poor and to her frozen pizzas are ok. However, she thinks that kfc is lmaopoorfaggot tier

Borscht is very easy to make at home, you don't need to go to Ukraine.

Tacos probably, ever poor ass family has a taco tuesday where they eat low grade hamburger, generic "taco seasoning" and a cardboard yellow corn shell.

Frijoles de la olla with corn tortillas.

Borsht is very easy to make from home. And on top of that, it is cheap and very easy to make WELL. I eat it at least 2 weeks out of every month.

But... As for UA, it's a must visit user. Id drop everything here if I could find decent work to move there. The food is fresher than most of what you'll find anywhere else. Nature is beautiful and the cities are too. And, of course, the girls are perfect too. Where are you from?

this is true an it's pretty delicious as well. made it from scratch a few months ago and it was piss easy

American here. I've seen many recipes for borscht and have made several for work as well as at home. It is not difficult.

I'm more a fan of hot borscht; though a small bowl of cold borscht is good now and again. For some reason cold borscht starts off really exciting and delicious then starts feeling unsatisfying after five spoonfuls, like you can't taste it and don't want it.

You should try solyanka. There are several kinds but I like the pickled foods, chicken and sausage variety. Also easy to make. I can give you instructions if you like.

I think spam has a bad reputation. I like spam though...

Try Xarcho for a real treat. It's pretty costly because the ingredient list is extensive but damn is it good.

Most of traditional French cuisine, I guess.

USA

Traditional peasant food stemming from Injuns and early settlers is corn based. Cornbread, grits, johnny cakes, etc.

Y'all have a good borscht recipe?Got me craving one

sips are NOT for peasants

Attached: sipbrosmelee.png (1269x711, 659K)

why are beets so fuckin' hard to cut? And the mess

Attached: big-mac-img.jpg (488x488, 65K)

for me, its the mcchicken

is fried baloney on white bread considered peasant tier? it used to be, i just don't know if it's gone hipster yet.

scrapple is tops

those are the souls of your ancestors.

>a sweet and sugary alternative to coffee for $2.99 a can
They kind of are.

Use a box grater.

This seems fairly universal throughout the United States, with many adding fast food in general to that list. Pretty much everything "do americans really" tier is considered trashy by anyone older than 16.
Some people consider rice, beans, and lentils to be peasant food, which it really is, but being able to cook at all is looked upon more favorably.

if you ever pay 3 bucks a can you're a caffeine junkie

I sterilize the sink and plug it.

Then I roast the beets and shock them in ice-water so the skin just pulls off. WEAR GLOVES, dollar stores sell plastic gloves 120 ct for 1 USD ffs. And yes, the old knucklebuster or a mandolin inside a sink. Nothing including you gets stained with this combo.

i wonder if europe has the same phenomenon. i mean, poor people spending significantly more than those who earn more.
it's a weird feeling, watching people who make 50 bucks a day spend 10 for lunch at fucking subway, driving a brand new nissan (why do nigs love nissan?)
meanwhile i bag my lunch and drive a 15 year old ford, and they act like i'm the reason they aren't rich?
i wonder if yuro's feel the same.

USA.
Rice, greens. dry beans.

>tfw 3/$5

Attached: 1497548558871.png (609x461, 265K)

Attached: currywurst.jpg (1920x1080, 281K)

I've never tried that but I fucking need to.

They're for white trash

Thx for this. My Romanian ex introduced me to borscht.. And now i get More delicious soups to make that she never showed me... That bitch :( she knew i had a thing for food.

Goulash, Hamburger Helper, Vienna Sausages, Top Ramen, Banquet anything, Dollar Tree frozen items, anything Hormel that isn't pepperonis...

Attached: hormel.jpg (600x314, 54K)

very overrated

>America
Normally I would classify "peasant" food as specifically just being food that is cheap, made with readily available materials, but still actually pretty good food, nutritionally and flavorfully. But the U.S. doesn't really have that kind of culture, for us, peasant food is mostly food that wage slaves with no free time, or will to make their own food eat. As such, peasant food here is more like "a cheap source of calories that can be prepared with absolutely minimal effort and time," that said, this isn't always the reason, sometimes it is less because lack of time and more because of a "food desert" situation, either way it ends up being mostly the same, because what is cheap and abundant in the U.S. isn't things like raw ingredients (indeed, these things are generally comparatively expensive in poor areas, an amusing irony is that peasant food of other nations generally looks absolutely decadent to poor citizens of the U.S. purely by virtue of being concocted from fresh produce.) but rather shelf stable boxes of starch, salt, and sugar.
As such, peasant food here is stuff more like kraft mac and cheese, hamburger helper, ramen, and other such things.

I don't think it's gone hipster, it just died out. I don't know anyone who eats that anymore. Like spam outside of the Pacific

Food deserts are self-inflicted. Attempts to get grocery stores into those areas fail, because the people living there actively don't want to make their own food.

>food is mostly food that wage slaves with no free time
The peasant blacks in my neighborhood have plenty of free time but don't cook.

I've also noticed that phenomenon. I'm not sure why, but they seem to regard a bank account balance above zero as a reason to spend money. I think they believe it'll be gone two days before they get paid no matter what, so they have to spend it now.

Kind of troubling.

i used to work with mentally disabled people of various levels of functioning, some almost completely normal
they all got social security and spent every penny within a week of getting it. it blows my mind how these people squander everything they have. sometimes it was buying cartons of cigarettes, sometimes it was cell phones and electronics, sometimes it was treating their "friends" to expensive things/meals. I couldn't tell them how to spend their money, and of course they probably wouldn't listen to my suggestions, but i wish some scrutiny was mandatory for folks like this. social workers can only help so much when they are addicted to spending money they dont have and when every scumbag they know will exploit these people for their money.
/blogpost

Romanian borsht, HA. Dude, you need to get a Ukrop girl to show you the real deal.
And try the green borsht as well. Do you ever eat mamaliga with twarog and fried pork fats?

NUHH UHH
NUH UH
You did not just say that

Attached: Source+i+am+desperately+looking+for+the+sauce+to+this_86e03b_6009859[1].gif (270x480, 980K)