Whiskey

Do you ever actually grow to acquire a taste for whiskey?

I've been drinking it straight for 3 months now and I still get that shuddering feeling when k drink it. Is it even possible to overcome this and start enjoying the taste like with black coffee?

Attached: SetWidth300-15-rocks-large.jpg (300x298, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_whisky#Regulations
whiskyanalysis.com/index.php/database/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Drink better whiskey.

I have enjoyed whiskey since the first time I drank it. I genuinely enjoy whiskey and no amount of "alcohol tastes bad" memeing is going to change that. I really enjoy bourbon but rarely drink it, single malt scotch is the best.

What sort of whisky have you been drinking.
In my opinion you need to spend at least $60 a bottle to get decent scotch.

you had to overcome the taste of black coffee?

chase jack with blue sips. it's like they were made for eachother.

I get that shuddering feeling the first few sips as well. But I still enjoy it for its alcohol content and the taste and feel in the mouth and throat. After the first sip I usually settle in and do really enjoy a glass of whiskey.

This is not true. Pic related is about $40 depending on where you live in the states but it's pretty damn good for what it is.

Attached: Speyburn.jpg (540x720, 134K)

Is that so? Perhaps I need to spend more than because the average bottle I buy is usually €30.

Don't act like the first time you ever drank black coffee you didn't think it was bitter as fuck. You're not impressing anyone

I'll agree that there are a few gems in the lower price range but if OP is drinking cheap Johnny walker, Irish whiskey and anything from Jim Beam neat he won't enjoy whisky.

I agree with you. He needs to be willing to spend more $ to get at least get a taste of the range of whiskies that are absolutely amazing.

bull fucking shit, my dad has been drinking Clan MacGregor for as long as I can remember and he absolutely loves it

>87$ for a handle
Such is life in the tax hell that is Norway.

Some lucky people are just born with the tounge of the pleb.

I don't drink whiskey but some one gave me a bottle of JD black label. I feel like I should mix it with coke or something, it's not particularly good.
kek

It never really gets any better desu
Whiskey is really overrated. Basically vodka except aged in a barrel for a few years to make it taste like tree bark

Im from MT though and one of the reasons whiskey is so popular here is because it warms you up. Also in groups if youre male and dont like whiskey youre a pussy so everyone sucks it up to get drunk despite people clearly not enjoying it

when i wanted to try it as a ten year old, yeah it was bitter. once i reached a proper age to have it, it was not. i'm not trying to impress, frend. are you sure you're old enough for whisky if you aren't old enough for black coffee?

where can you even find a tounge outside the greater portland scene?

I'm not a whiskey drinker by any means but i'll never try johnny walker or jack daniels, with the exception of jack daniels honey. I might try that. But if i ever drink whiskey or buy it ill first look up reviews from the experts.

>the absolute state of whiskey soyboys

Attached: 1476485047572.png (500x412, 282K)

Well that's simply not true

>$35 Laphroaig 10
>$47 Laphroaig QC
>$44 Ardbeg 10
>$42 Highland Park 12
>$46 Glenfiddich 15
>$47 Macallan 12
>$37 Balvenie 12 DW
>$50 Talisker 10
>$55 Caol Ila 12
>$52 Lagavulin 8

you sound like that xdcd faggot

you sound like a soyboy who drinks whiskey to feel manly

you just re-iterated the xdcd strip, proving my point, then added some fad "dig" you can't even use properly for good measure.

I don't even need to insult you. you make a mockery of yourself willingly

>the absolute state of this user
go drink whiskey you will grow some muscles eventually!

Attached: LaughTillCryChair.png (209x155, 70K)

is japanese whiskey any good?
any recommendations?

Make strong Manhattans to ease yourself in. A splash of vermouth, a dash of bitters. Yum yum.

I did, Jameson. Oddly, I drank it before but didnt really acquire the taste until I began using it as a topical anesthetic for tooth pain and would swish and hold it for a few minutes.

I need to try different stuff though.

Is bourbon whiskey?

Try whisky flavored things. I only got into coffee after appreciating it as an element in other things.

Jack and Coke are both too sweet and the combination together only exist because both are so popular.
Mix it with ginger ale, just as easy and you'll actually complement flavors instead of candied liquor.

I'd try something like Glenfiddich 12 or Glenmorangie 10. If you can't get into that maybe give up.

Baltic land calls out to you

This guy knows what's up. Jameson did it for me, now I don't mind the taste at all. To be fair, Jameson is very easy to drink. Bushmills is another good example.

Dahlwinnie is really easy and smooth to drink. If you need a more sweeter smoother drink that resembles whiskey, Diplomatica Reserva Special is a good brown rum.

r8 what I'm drinking now

Attached: TB2BmC2aByN.eBjSZFkXXb8YFXa_!!731440825.jpg (750x750, 180K)

>Chinese whisky

I had a hard time even finding this online. why don't you tell us how it is instead?

Well you'd struggle to find a better whisky for approx $5, I'll tell you that much. All the chinese whisky I've had is mild, unoffensive and easy to drink. It doesn't have much depth to the flavor but it's enjoyable enough straight.

Recommend me a good whisky glass to buy, or a good brand

buy a bottle of makers mark or jameson, that's pretty much your tasty cheap whiskey right there. for every day drinking it's jim beam for me though.

Also, does it actually matter that much what kind of glass you drink your whisky from? I like using just a simple tumbler glass like pic related but i don't know if i should use other glasses to get a better taste or anything

Attached: tumbler.jpg (700x863, 204K)

It definitely does. I use a tumbler for the everyday cheap shit and a nosing glass for the high end shit. What you want is to concentrate the aroma towards your nose and still have some surface area to release as much aroma as possible. Look into the Glencairn (personally not a fan) and various whisky snifters (Spiegelau, Schott Zwiesel, generic nosing glass).

I already have a Glencairn glass, but not an official one. It's a cheap glass that was included in a giftbox but it does seem to have the same shape as a Glencairn glass, so i guess this will work too? I'm guessing only the shape matters and not the quality of the glass?

Guess i'll look into buying a decent tumbler glass aswell for my daily drinking, does the quality here matter that much or should i just buy something that i like the looks of?

Blue label is a great one. A bit expensive but the taste is superb!

Tullamore Dew is shit. Old Crow quality at three times the price.

user, drink whatever the fuck you want. Only a pussy drinks what other people think he should

So I just discovered that my local liquor store sells Kilchoman Machir Bay for 40€ and Sanaig for 46€. Feels liek heaven.

Nachtmann

Attached: kilob.non26.jpg (900x1200, 440K)

Is bourbon whiskey what?

You just answered your own question.

I've been drinking whiskey for 15 years and it really never goes down "easy", whether straight or on the rocks.

What I do is have a large cup, fill about 1/4 with water, throw some ice cubes in, pour in desired amount of whiskey, then add some diet Coke.

I also make an effort to chug a shit ton of water before I start drinking, as an attempt to limit the next day hangover, but I don't think it helps much.

The guy who invents the alcoholic drink that allows you to get silly drunk without the next day hangover is gonna be a billionaire

What are you drinking? Please, list off all the brands you’ve been trying.

YOU MUST DRINK ALL THE SHOTS.
1oz each, drink them

Attached: UFXGWT6_20171227205742970_20171227215357794.jpg (502x466, 106K)

The first time I tried black coffee as a kid it was a diner while on vacation. My mom and dad were very surprised and even the waitress was too. She even stayed to watch me try it. I had a sip and it was bitter and hell and I made a face, to which everyone laughed. But I did find it enjoyable and slowly acquired a taste for it, espeically over time to where 99% when I drink a coffee or espresso, its black.

It wasnt so horrible that I hated the taste and hated drinking it and thought to myself "not again". Same with whiskey. First time I had it, it was really strong, but I enjoyed it and every so often like to have my whiskey straight up, and I never make a face or whatever.

If youre still doing that with black coffee or whiskey after trying it so many times you probably just dont like it at all. Might as well move onto something else. Or try it in a different way. Dont drink it thinking its going to be unpleasant. Drink it thinking about why it tastes good, what tastes good about it. The way it feels and smells. Etc.

First of all drink decent whiskey..

Second and most importantly... if you don't like the taste don't drink it.
Drinking whiskey isn't "alpha", but forcing yourself to drink whiskey to seem alpha is beta as fuck.

What is Basil Hayden, Old Grand Dad, or Bookers.

You do realize the higher marks of Jim Beam are good don't you?

I can drink vodka and gin straight but not whiskey.

I hate the wood taste.

If you're serious about learning whisky, you need to buy 3 bottles of Laphroiag, drink them like you drink normal whisky in succession.

That will burn your phenol sensitivity out of your mouth.

>makers mark
groce desu, nice sweet smell but I thought it had a nasty gasoline aftertaste. OGD is better and usually cheaper.

kek

>try Hibiki Harmony at a bar
>best whisky I'd had at that point
>buy my own bottle
>it's just decent
What the hell happened?

drinking jack daniel's and wild turkey right now
what are you boys up to

Canadian whiskeys are always much smoother than Bourbons. Scotches have their own unique flavors that differ quite drastically by maker. Stay away from cheap Bourbons, they tend to be quite harsh. I like Canadian whiskeys, even something cheap like Canadian Reserve, tastes like caramel.

Depending on how long that bottle was sitting on a shelf in the bar after it was opened, as it oxidises the taste can change a lot. Yours might do the same if you don't drink it all too quickly.

There's probably other factors about being out having a good time, maybe a bit drunk already when you had it makes your memory and senses play up.

You overpaying for one glass caused you to perceive it as better than it actually was.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_whisky#Regulations
>To improve marketability, it may contain caramel colour and flavouring, in addition to the distilled mash spirits.
I'm being a fucking snob, but I don't want artificial flavoring in my whiskey.

Pewds did a video on whiskey from Japan. Granted they were all expensive but its a start

are you blended?

fucking pewds dude

Do you drink other spirits or are you just going straight into whiskey? If so try starting off with something unoffensive, like a generic bourbon so you get used to the alcohol burn, and the oak. Imo don't worry about buying more expensive because generally speaking, you'll probably be paying for better and more complex stuff, which is pretty much wasted on you right now. Try a few bourbons, don't spend too much (seriously, at this point something like jim bean is fine, assuming that's cheap where you are), and once they start smelling and tasting sweet to you then go back to the other stuff again.

Enjoy your journey, take it slow, and remember most importantly:

If you guys could recommend me one expensive bottle of whisky (somwhere between €100-€300) what would it be?

I normally don’t buy expensive bottles, but i like the idea of having 1 expensive bottle that i only drink on the most special occasions.

>La frog 10
I do enjoy many whiskeys but this I cannot drink for the life of me.

You never do because whiskey is a shit drink that only insecure incels and old people enjoy. It is the fedora of drinks.

Pic related. It's all the anons in this thread that are shitting on OP for not being as "manly" as they are.

Attached: MD3scMjJ2MGW1U-I1CS9hw-wide.jpg (300x400, 23K)

Whiskey is incredibly good if you pay $40+ a bottle, hth

Look at your liquor store's sales and use this site to find the best buy whiskyanalysis.com/index.php/database/

nobody actually enjoys alcohol. they just lie until they believe their own lie so they dont get yelled at by meatheads who think alcohol is a hobby

Attached: 4ecef4cd2f1eaa306b6ae7500fda55474ad14589bf3b37b1f02401ef7e7075bd.jpg (533x700, 84K)

Order from Germany, that's what I do. t. Finland

I found OGD BiB to be unremarkable and, in my opinion, overpriced at something like $27. I prefer both Maker's and WT101 and they're both under $20

What is the best first whiskey for one who never drunk anything but champagne, wine and rum?

Attached: img382.jpg (347x337, 17K)

Alcohol actually kills muscle cells.

Is bourbon whiskey whiskey?

EXPOSED

Whiskey/Scotch is such a fucking meme.

I'm almost 100% Irish and that shit literally taste like super overpriced, super pretentious water left to soak in a leather boot.

Beer is more flavorful, has a greater variant of tastes and has a smaller price tag.

Prove me wrong.

I'm Canadian and I can't stand Canadian whiskeys, the closest I came to enjoying one was that crown royal northern harvest when it was a meme last year but I still like most mid shelf American bourbons like Buffalo Trace and Woodford Reserve better

I never understood the practice of forcing yourself to imbibe something until you enjoy it. Why bother? Why not just eat/drink other things that you actually do like?

Anyone else try pic related? Smells like pickle juice and cleaning fluid to me.

Anyways, I bought Redbreast 12 yr on a whim and it's some of the best shit I've ever had. Any other recs? I bought Writer's Tears as another irish whiskey to try, but haven't opened it yet.

Attached: defiant-american-single-malt-whisky-1.jpg (1000x1000, 84K)

I’m from Belgium and all types of beers and trappists (or whatever you call them in english) taste like shit to me, whereas i love the taste of whisky.

Perhaps we all just have different tastes

>thatll be 60 dollars plus tax and tip for your saccharine firewater

Attached: 41E5B5CE-7561-451D-8434-8AC621749EAD.jpg (466x517, 79K)

you don't tip at a liquor store

There are tons of better alternatives for less than Speyburn 10, even in Norway.

It's not a start, he knows nothing about whisky and he shares absolutely zero information about the whisky he tries. He takes a sip, makes a face, says "nice", "oh that's nice", "interesting", then he moves on to the next one, pouring it into the same glass without even rinsing it out first. Check out Ralfy on youtube, his reviews are informative. He's also a pretty cool guy.

Beer is not more flavorful than whisky you fucking idiot, regardless of whether you actually enjoy the flavor or not

How can I prove you wrong when you're so indisputably right. It's impossible to change whiskey/scotch flavor without diluting it, but there are so many different styles of beer alone that you could walk into any given liquor store, pick a random six pack, then do the same thing next week and have a completely different experience.

When I was 16. Whisky is one of those things that just clicked for me from day 1.

Maybe in the US, but while it's not amazing, the Aldi single malt stuff is definitely drinkable.