Vegan & Vegetarian

I haven't seen any of these threads around here. I don't know what Veeky Forums in general thinks of vegans and vegetarians or those that, in general, try not to consume products of animal origin, but here goes:

>Lentils or beans
>General opinion on avocado
>General opinion on mushrooms
>What did you eat this morning
>How to not die of malnutrition by eating only stuff that doesn't come from animals
>General cooking tips for eating vegan or vegetarian
>What to avoid

I am looking for some Veeky Forums-like insight into what a vegan is supposed to eat
>inb4 fpbp
>inb4 fp is eat meat

Attached: 1464741202304.jpg (1600x1280, 2.11M)

>Beans, but it's a close call.
>Good in moderation.
>Favorable.
>Leftover pasta fagioli from yesterday.
>Take B12 pills.
>Don't try to replicate your favorite meat-based dishes with vegan/vegetarian substitutes. Instead of fake meat + two sides, focus on one-pot meals, bowls, stews, curries, perhaps accompanied by rice or another carb.
>See above.

>I haven't seen any of these threads around here

Dumbfuck newfag.

I’m not vegan, but I cook for one sometimes. Right now I’m eating some black beans with coconut rice that tastes great, though would have been better with some ham in the beans.

Fantastic. The best food. Eat lots of them.

avoid fake meats, they're spitting in your face and if you want to eat meat bad enough to degrade yourself like that you should just do it

avoid processed shit like vegetarian hot dogs, just enjoy whatever you like

I went from nearly obese to normal BMI and I've never felt better since going vegetarian, just ate what I liked to eat and avoided sweets, now ill try to cut off eggs and dairy too, especially dairy to see if it will help me with back acne and shit

I'm a newfag. I admit I've never been on Veeky Forums before, I mostly browse Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums, sorry.
Anyway a quick catalogue search did not reveal anything.
>rice
Yes, I avoid rice like leper because I don't know how to cook it. I always mess something up and it burns. Meh.
>mushrooms
What is your HONEST opinion on canned shrooms?

redpill me on b12

So I should literally avoid the soy meme. Got it, I never was a big fan of soy anyway, never liked the fakeness of it.

Just buy a rice cooker. Even a cheap one will do. You can use them for things besides rice.

>What is your HONEST opinion on canned shrooms?

Not as good as fresh or rehydrated dried mushrooms, but better than no mushrooms at all.

If you're vegan, eat lots of yeast products like slow-fermented bread, unfiltered beer, nutritional yeast (this one is key, tastes like cheese and is LOADED with B-complex vitamins), Marmite, etc.

If you're vegetarian, just find a way to work 1-2 eggs per day into your diet and you'll be fine from a B vitamin perspective. Most modern people are not even close to being malnourished from a protein standpoint so I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

This, fake meats are some of the worst industrial trash you can put into your body, as is fake dairy like Daiya. Tofu is also trash in the sense that it has almost no trace nutrients in it, it's just a brick of protein. Tempeh is a far superior food in all aspects.

Attached: BR013.jpg (650x650, 47K)

>redpill me on b12
You MUST have it, or you'll become very weak and then die. Vegan B12 can only be obtained by taking a supplement or eating foods with large amounts of microorganisms in them, see:Otherwise, it can only be obtained from meat.

Who gives a fuck? Don’t eat them because they taste like shit

I eat meat regularly but Quorn is damn tasty apart from the fact it's shit for you and devoid of all nutrition

B12 deficiency leads to Anemia and neuronal damage, but your current reserves should last you a couple of years.

Quorn is the least meaty and least tasty of the meat substitutes

Thank you. I am vegan but I am not an insufferable little prick (as is the norm with these people, trust me I know). Just yesterday was a colleague of mine's birthday and they served pizza at work, full on attack pizza with meat and cheese, and while I didn't eat much, I never refused.
That means a few times a year I will eat meat and cheese due to important birthdays and stuff + I never say no to my host no matter what. It's a thing of etiquette and good behaviour.

Yes, I do enjoy unfiltered beer and I drink one perhaps once a week at least. Even normal beer I enjoy a lot.
So blue / mold cheese also stacks b12? If I am to eat some cheese, it's always mold cheese. My favourite.

I asked because caned mushrooms is simply the cheapest way to get a steady supply of shrooms into my kitchen. Fresh shrooms just shrink so hard when cooked, it's not even funny.

Anyway I have a few more questions. I feel like I'm always eating too little. Not that I'm not getting full / satiated, but I feel like what I eat lacks bulk for my stomach to digest. I have a chronic fear of getting stomach ulcer (my dad has it). What should I bulk with? I can't eat beans 24/7 3 meals a day.

Dairy products in general are pretty rich in B12, yeah. If you're only vegetarian and are eating milk products + eggs you should have no problems with a deficiency.

You can also just use instant rice. In my country pretty much all supermarket rice is 8 minute rice (we are all terrible cooks). Assuming you can boil water it's hard to fuck up.

>it's hard to fuck up
You are severely overestimating my cooking capabilities.

I'm full vegan, as I I don't ever use animal products if I can help it (leather and fur included). As of late I have become quite paranoid that people called me sickly / pale, which is why I made this thread in the first place. I want to eat right and not die at 30 because I forgot b12, for example.

I think it’s fine if a person doesn’t want to consume animals, but they need to fuck off trying to get others to adopt their ideals.

don't let your dreams become memes vegan-kun

I'm never doing that. I think a person shows a lack of education when they're trying to impose ANYTHING they deem "correct" onto others, be it vegan, or eating meat, or not drinking alcohol, or whatever lifestyle they chose.
I am not consuming animal products for my own reasons (mostly spiritual in nature but also to remove body odour) and my reasons are my very own. Telling someone to go vegan is like trying to convince them that my favorite colour is the objective best colour.

what do you mean?

>You are severely overestimating my cooking capabilities.

Throw instant rice in plenty of boiling water, wait for timer to ring, drain. Comes out decent every time. It's not "proper" rice, but it's perfectly edible (I generally like Pandan 8 minute rice).

You could replace part of your diet with Huel (or Soylent I guess, but I prefer oats to soy) if you're scared of deficiencies. It's complete.

like don't get caught up in advertising instead of objectivity

Just switched to a vegan diet in the last couple weeks after trying tons of other diets. Low carb definitely helped me lose weight but was a bit difficult to keep up with and often felt pretty weak.
Honestly a vegan diet is the easiest diet I've ever tried and am still losing weight.
Pretty much as long as you're eating healthy foods and not too many grains just eat as much as you can and you'll be golden.
I recommend looking into the Nutritarian diet plan. Maybe you won't be able to completely go for that but if you learn to center your diet around that you'll feel amazing.

I made cheesecake out of cashews and silken tofu, with a date and oat crust.

Attached: 0305181851c.jpg (5312x2988, 2.82M)

Pic is a seitan Greek lamb-style roast I made

Attached: 1123171618a_HDR.jpg (5312x2988, 3.39M)

After roasting

Attached: 1123171823d_HDR-2124x1195.jpg (2124x1195, 716K)

In a gyro

Attached: 1123171848_HDR.jpg (5312x2988, 2.52M)

Less healthy cheesecake, made of cashews, coconut cream, coconut oil, with a crispy toffee crust

Attached: 0226181607e.jpg (5312x2988, 2.03M)

I'm staying away from oil myself but that looks incredible.

Roasted rudabaga and parsnip potato chowder with seared, marinaded king oyster mushroom medallions and buttered pasta

Attached: 1111171706_HDR.jpg (5312x2988, 2.08M)

Wakame, miso, and sake marinaded green jackfruit ceviche

Attached: 0716171822f_HDR.jpg (5312x2988, 2.84M)

All of these look amazing. Thanks for posting.

I've been considering going vegan because I've developed a massive fear of food poisoning. It's pretty debilitating actually, I've been too scared to eat much lately. I should probably just see a therapist or something

i know some people who've gotten food poisoning and from what they said, it sucked but then it was over. none of them died or had lasting issues. stare your fear right in its fucking face and eat something. keep staring it in the face. you can do it if you stick to it.

My cousin got it recently and almost died, he apparently would have if he didn't get to the hospital fast enough. It doesn't take much to spook me, I have really bad anxiety issues. I'll probably get over the fear eventually.

>Don't try to replicate your favorite meat-based dishes with vegan/vegetarian substitutes. Instead of fake meat + two sides, focus on one-pot meals, bowls, stews, curries, perhaps accompanied by rice or another carb.

This is what always kills me. My GF is Vegan and I just eat whatever I feel like, but if we go to a vegan or vegetarian place I hate it when the only options are replications of dishes that generally have meat and dairy. I get why lifetime vegans want this shit, I can eat a real Ruben though so I don't want one made out of firm tofu and cashew "cheese" sauce served on a dry flavorless roll.

I'll go to an Indian vegan place and annihilate some curries though. You don't need meat to make a dish tasty, but if you spend all your time trying to make a meatless version of a meat dish you are going to be forever disappointed.

Go vegan. There's shit in basically all the meat we have and plus it'll help your immune system.

>Lentils or beans
They're both good, i use red lentils for ragú and green lentils for mushroom sauces. Kidney beans for chilis
>General opinion on avocado
Great but expensive, look out for sales
Great
>What did you eat this morning
Oatmeal, 1 cup of oats, 1 cup almond milk, half cup water and let it cook on low heat until thicc. I usually add fruits, cinnamon and some sweetener
>How to not die of malnutrition by eating only stuff that doesn't come from animals
Eat balanced and take your B12
>General cooking tips for eating vegan or vegetarian
Use a nonstick pan
>What to avoid
Pseudoscience

Attached: photo-dec-17-6-15-07-pm.jpg (2448x3264, 2.33M)

>I haven't seen any of these threads around here. I don't know what Veeky Forums in general thinks of vegans and vegetarians
Fuck off and lurk more

Fennel celeriac with orange and cashew crème fraîche
Made all from scratch today

Attached: IMG_20180314_141611.jpg (3456x4608, 2.25M)

Another gyro, made with soy curls. The tzatziki is made with homemade strained soy yogurt.

Attached: 1119171716_HDR.jpg (5312x2988, 2.42M)

Batch of quinoa tabbouleh

Attached: 0704171847d_HDR.jpg (5312x2988, 2.64M)

Roasted cauliflower and asparagus

Attached: 20161102_183610.jpg (4160x2340, 2.48M)

Sweet and sour popcorn cauliflower

Attached: 20160618_202650_HDR-1.jpg (4160x2340, 1.57M)

BBQ pulled king oyster mushroom sandwich

Attached: 0129181826b.jpg (5312x2988, 2.8M)

Roasted cactus and vinegared okra, cornmeal and buttermilk breaded and deep fried

Attached: FB_IMG_1517765942142.jpg (1707x960, 173K)

Green lentil and yellow potato curry soup

Attached: 0712171955d_HDR.jpg (5312x2988, 2.4M)

Bean chili, cornbread muffins, and breaded and fried tomatillo

Forgot pic

Attached: 0212171835c_HDR.jpg (5312x2988, 2.22M)

if your host offers you a cockmeat sandwich you'll gobble that right up won't you?

fair weather vegans are so pathetic

>I don't know what Veeky Forums in general thinks of vegans and vegetarians or those that, in general, try not to consume products of animal origin
If they aren't smug assholes about it, then no one cares.

I use both.
Useful in certain dishes.
Lovely. I only avoid fishy ones.
Breakfast burrito.
Use supplements.
Fermentation is your friend. Making use of fermented ingredients can replace the savory flavors produced by meat.
Processed vegan/vegetarian food.

Vegans and vegetarians can eat whatever they want. I eat vegetarian roughly 3 nights a week to cut down on grocery cost, and I generally make hot salads, pasta, soups and curries on those nights. There's the occasional sandwich as well (a homemade vegieburger or a something involving portabello or eggplant). Eat whatever you want.

>So I should literally avoid the soy meme.
Soy isn't terrible for you, but it needs to be used in moderation. Part of the problem is that everything has soy (or corn) in it. I enjoy tofu, but I don't eat it more than maybe once a week at most. I don't think of it as "fake" anything. It's just tofu.

>What is your HONEST opinion on canned shrooms?
I only keep them around in case I run out of the real stuff. Canned mushrooms don't have the same flavor or body as fresh, and fresh mushrooms add a body and richness to your cooking that you will be sorely lacking when you drop the meat.

Soy is not 'fake', it is a legume. It can be used in 'fake' meat analogues, but yhays5 totally different from like edamame or tofu. Tofu itself is basically soy cheese, it is just soy beans blended with water, cooked, curdled, drained, and pressed.

Tofu is good if you know how to cook it. You almost want to use it like havarti in terms of cooking, if you get extra firm

>Soy isn't terrible for you
ISHYGDDT

Attached: 1516282910174.png (626x384, 186K)

>I am looking for some Veeky Forums-like insight into what a vegan is supposed to eat

Meat, you fucking soy fag.

The reason you're a "soyboy" isn't because you had some tofu once. It's because you sit on your lazy ass never exercising and listening to Jordan Peterson tell you in his fay Kermit voice how you're actually really manly, and the reason you keep getting cucked is because women just don't understand how masculine your soft ass is.

> Being so brainrotted by dairy estrogen and meat growth hormone that you listen to random unreliable broscience instead of spending ten minutes on pubmed

if I were vegan I'd kill myself and then eat myself to not be vegan anymore

>lentils
shit
>avocado
tastes good but bad for you
>mushrooms
god tier, healthy and tasty
>what did you eat
coffee with cream and sugar and short ribs
>how to not die of malnutrition
you don't. or alternatively take vitamins
>cooking tips
learn how to cook Indian food, also don't be vegan that's fucking retarded
>what to avoid
plant based diets

Attached: crusades.jpg (412x597, 41K)

> tfw my dad had nearly four digit triglycerides and LDL higher than the US is old, and the only reason he isn't dead is that he went on a whole foods ppant based diet that also cured his diabetes despite eating a lot of potatoes

Jordan Peterson isn't terrible for you, but it needs to be used in moderation. Part of the problem is that everything has postmodernism (or cultural marxism) in it. I enjoy Jordan Peterson, but I don't watch it more than once a week at most. I don't think of it as "fake" anything. He's just an academic

>my dad ate like a slob before
>now he's healthy because he no longer does

whatever, I mean I don't even care if people go vegan. It's kind of like homosexuality, just more stuff for me.

We have these shitty food-hipster bait threads here every fucking day. Fuck off with your vegan shit, (you) soyboy!

Attached: 32229793.png (546x700, 308K)

For me, it is the McSoylent. The cuckold's choice of meal replacement beverage.

Attached: 1509108648086.jpg (587x2494, 280K)

How do I eat less red lentils? I am fucking obsessed with them. I eat them 3 meals per day. Today:

Breakfast: Almond Milk poached Red Lentils on Toast with a grapefruit that I cut into segments, then I used the segments to scoop up lentils
Lunch: Red Lentil Sandwich, with a bag of chips that I opened, poured lentils into, then left to sit in the fridge at work
Dinner: 300g of dry red lentils cooked
Snack: As a snack I take individual cooked red lentils and cut open grapes, then force the lentils into the grapes and eat them

they are so fucking good but I am shitting 4 times a day

Attached: smoke.png (300x250, 44K)

So you’re a fat cocksucker regardless?

I shit every two hours at work, it's glorious

Coworkers probably think im a chronic masturbator, but no, I'm just addcited to beans

I'm on a no meat no dairy fast for lent. Been eating big portions of spinach and cabbage and bread. Lots of oats and barley as well. Fresh almond milk is fantastic. Turnips and potatoes have been good too. I eat vegetarian meals all the time, because I just like vegetables. Split pea porridge and lentils are usually a big part of my meals during the time but not so much this year. Im not worried about b12 because I eat meat on sundays

it's a thing of etiquette and good behaviour (something Veeky Forums sorely lacks, I forgot to mention)

My local kroger has small avocados for 69 cents each and they are perfectly ripe

kek

The true virtue of a vegan diet: plentiful poops that clean up easy