Risotto

Is there a way to make this dish less boring? Considering how much time/effort is required to make it "right" you'd think it'd taste a bit better.

Attached: 20151019-miso-risotto-recipe-5-1500x1125.jpg (1500x1125, 207K)

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/02/sea-scallops-leek-risotto-recipe.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

i sort of feel the same way.
i think the only reason i make it, rarely, is that it goes really well with what i usually serve with it.
homemade seafood stock, drinkable white wine, shallot, good butter/lipid, fresh herbs is the only thing i know to tell you.
i love crab or crawfish tail risotto with a nice moisty piece of baked flaky white fish and some asparagus barely blanched or roasted.

You can make it in a pressure cooker in 7 minutes.

Proper stove top pressure cooker, not one of those sissy ones.

i was fp, not op, but i have a question.
do you have to experiment with the amount of liquids you need for your elevation and humidity, or does it basically just either need more or not when you use the same amount as if doing it the hard way?
i have a hard time believing it comes out as creamy in a pressure cooker.

Where is Risottofag when we need him?

Attached: BatSignal-600x455.jpg (600x455, 14K)

fuck it. i'm just going to look up recipes and try this soon. i'd like to know for myself how it turns out.

Please tell me you guys are cooking the rice very briefly in butter before adding HOT stock or broth incrementally until it's creamy, and not just making porridge.

The only surefire way to make sure you add the correct amount of liquid is adding small amounts and tasting when you can tell the rice is almost done.

Butter? My aunt taught me to cook the rice in a 1/4 cup of milk before adding the wine.

If it turns out the way it should I can't judge, but without being there to see and taste I can't tell.

This has just been the best way to do it so far. To me you sound dangerously close to porridge already though. If you like I can give you a skeletal framework on what I usually do.

no. it's literally just not worth the time and effort. make something better instead like paella

Truth is, IDK how it's meant to taste since I've only ever had it made her way (and by extension, my way). Let me run you through my way:

>heat oil in a bigass wok
>diced onion in, sweat for 2 mins
>add diced garlic and cook that for 2 mins
>add rice, let absorb oil, cook till a popping sound is heard from the rice
>add milk, let it cook/absorb into the rice
>add wine, let it cook/absorb into the rice
>start adding vegetable broth in small amounts, letting absorb/cook out
>do this until rice is reasonably close to done, then add veggies and shit
>cook out the last bit of broth and bam, risotto, garnish and serve

Not sure if there's ever a supposed to with food.

I don't agree with until popping. You're puffing the rice. I mean this is different and interesting, just I just don't agree. I'll try it for fun next time.

I don't like letting it absorb milk rather than stock or broth and wine. I think the rice kernels are going to absorb and taste like diluted milk instead of stock or broth. I'll explain why it's pointless later.

The broth or stock should vary in type depending in the type of usage, but should should always be hot and as you said added in small increments to prevent the starch from seizing up. This way the rice has a distinct texture from other cooking methods and isn't just a porridge or pudding.

IMHO garlic should be added near the end, pasted if you have to (the flat of the blade worked back and forth makes this quick). Pepper as well, it becomes bitter with cooking more than a few minutes.

I agree with the rest of your post though unless I've miss something. It's hard to tell without being there and showing.

This is bizarre.

yeah, i guess i'll let the rice do it's thing for a while and then let the pressure go and see how dry it is.
i'm really interested to see how it turns out.

Your way sounds fucking gross. KYS autist

milk? the fuck?

how is risotto boring again?

Mild-tasting food is the hallmark of european italian food. It's meant to be boring.

shipped back to india and has no internet connection I hope

I just tried risotto for the first time, posted here a week ago. pic related, inb4 autistic plating. Anyway, it was this recipe from seriouseats
seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/02/sea-scallops-leek-risotto-recipe.html

I really liked it. Obviously it wasn't perfect consistency b/c it was my first time making it. Next time I need to pay more attention to cooking out all the broth between additions

Attached: risotto with asparagus octopus.jpg (4096x3072, 2.89M)

> risotto
> boring

I hope you live forever son

Attached: I Understood That Reference.gif (500x269, 883K)

ehh have better starting broth to begin with? i like it with mushrooms and lobster

fuckin a, scallops. i like bay scallops better than the larger sea scallops, but that looks fantastic. and yes, the plating is a little goofy. i bet it all tasted really good all the same.

thanks, they were very delicious. I left them in the fridge overnight and salted them heavily beforehand. helps immensely with the sear.

I usually add wine into mine while cooking the onions and garlic. I fill up a glass and just take my time with a radio show or yell at my girlfriend.

yes. when that top layer of moisture is pulled up to the surface and steams off first, it leaves it primed for a good color and texture. yours looks wonderful.

>milk
Is this some fucked up middle America version?

to be clear, i've never salted them for that long.
but, i do put a nice dose of salt on mine about and hour before i sear them and then rinse them. are they still flaky and not chewy if you leave them for that long with salt?

I put them in the fridge overnight (no salt)
then about 20 minutes before they went on the heat I hit them with a heavy dose of salt

They were not chewy at all, it was almost like eating a nice small flake fish. Just...*perfect*. I'd pat myself on the back if I could do it again; the entire dish was a first for me.

ahhhhh right on.
i'd pat you on the back too. if i wasn't busy eating your scallops.
thanks for clarifying.

Attached: 53yehr.jpg (209x242, 7K)

Risotto shouldn't taste bland at all. Make it with better stock, taste as you cook for seasoning.
There's tons of variations and flavors you can add to it.

This is just what I had lieing around.
>Saffron
>Italian Sausage
>Lemon
>italian parsley
Are the main flavors of this dish.
If risotto doesn't taste rich and very savory you're doing it wrong.

Attached: saffron and sausage risotto 1.jpg (2016x1512, 407K)

I knew he'd show up eventually

I might be the best at risotto on Veeky Forums unless some accomplished chefs are secretly browsing.
I know the dish like the back of my hand.
I've made it with
>arborio
>carnaroli
>vialone nano
I still have some flavors to explore tho and I will be making some more in the next couple of months.
Expect Risotto Al Nero, a Mushroom Risotto, and a Pumpkin Risotto this year.

Attached: saffron and sausage risotto texture.jpg (2016x1512, 445K)

Can't tell if this is serious or not, either way that's a terrible method.

Id put my risottos against yours.. Parsnip puree is really good in risotto, or like herb purees are fantastic.

One of the better variations ive done is toasted sunflower seeds, sunflower seed puree, veal stock, whiskey pecorino, lemon juice salt fin herbs TT.

I sold it with pan seared/basted wagyu striploin, a banyuls (its kinda chocolaty wine vinegar) seasoned veal demi, pickled chanterelle and micro arugula

How do you make your ordinary risotto? Like if i gave you alliums, butter, stock, wine, parmesan, a pot, and a stove

You can have cooking oil, too

damn both you nigs sound hardcore
i love risotto but never tried to make my own cuz im a mediocre cook

roasted garlic
chives/green onion
cheese (not just parmesan)
sun-dried tomatoes

not fair user i can tell you've worked in a kitchen before.
I haven't. Wtf is whiskey pecorino and how do i obtain it?

>these same ancient photos
Autism

While your risotto sounds excellent I'd need to see your execution, and see how consistently you can make it.

thats because people complain at me for making the same things over and over, which is why i haven't made a new risotto pic since the saffron risotto.

Its just one of those things you do over and over again and fuck it up every possible way and eventually tou het a feel for it.

Its definitely one of those “simple” complicated things

>How do you make your ordinary risotto?
>like if i gave you alliums
just say onions twat.

>olive oil, sometimes accidulated butter or beurre blanc
>sweat the onions
(i keep my onions very finely diced so they basiclaly melt as they're sweated)
>toast the rice
>add white wine
>add 2 stocks per cup of rice in the pan
>cook until its al dente
>add in parmigianno reggianno and butter (occasionally beurre blanc or accidulated butter)
That's typically how i'd do it nothing to fancy in terms of execution.

i'll use the accidulated onion butter or beurre blanc for more delicate risottos like a Pistacchio Risotto I made.

I'll definitely take your puree idea, i've never incorporated anything like that into my risottos. The closest hting was a pistachio paste I made.
I guess that would be similar to the (sunflower seed puree)

Attached: Pistachio Risotto 2.jpg (2880x1620, 1.03M)

Basically the same method here.. i say alliums cause some people like to use leeks or whatever

>small dice onion, boil for 2 minutes, drain
>pan, hot oil, rice and onions into oil simultaneously
>deglaze with like a cup of white wine, cook down, stir
>~a cup stock, cook down, stir, add another cup and cook down and stir
>keep doing this til its al dente
>hit with more stock but dont stir now and turn up the heat so the bottom layer overcooks
>throw in a splash if stock and your butter, scooping and breaking open all that overcooked rice spilling out all the starches (that step is key)
>enough parm to tighten it up and taste good
>lemon juice salt herbs etc to finish

Everybody has their own way but the fundamentals are always the same. Also the sunflower risotto wasnt actual risotto, it was all sunflower seeds as the “rice”

>hit with more stock but dont stir now and turn up the heat so the bottom layer overcooks
WHY?
If you're trying to overcook the rice then I'm still the King of Risotto here. Overcooking risotto makes it too dense.

No, got sent to hell where the bastard belongs.

Yours or his?

thank you. night.

turn that shitfuck corkscrew all the way next time.

>ITT: user posts the traditional way to make risotto and Veeky Forums shits on him for it

You're not going to puff uncooked rice in a saute pan.

he's thinking of some other south american or other shit.

>you'd think it'd taste a bit better.
Have you tried putting seasoning, vegetables and/or meat in it?

Socarrat.

>Socarrat
this clowns trying to turn creamy risotto into something it's not.
Risotto doesn't need a socarrat it's not paella.

He could just make Risotto Al Salto, but instead he's trying to burn the bottom of a risotto. Ridiculous

>tripfag
opinion discarded.

fair enough.

Seriously there's a risotto dish called risotto al salto, its a great way to use leftover risotto and it's similar to a socarrat, i recommend it.

What do you mean, “what”?

Nobodys burning anything to anything. The very bottom layer of rice overcooks and releases starch. The rest stays perfect..

The real challenge for you is this: make me a creamy, flowing vegan risotto wihout this method

Make it with steel cut oats instead of rice.

>vegetable broth
Does this mean unsalted?

>I might be the best at risotto on Veeky Forums unless some accomplished chefs are secretly browsing.
>I know the dish like the back of my hand.
get over yourself you dumb nigger.

try adding sqash,slightly fried and diced bell pepper,some good meat,black pepper,hot sauce

get a fucking proper pan buddy. you shouldn't be burning any part of the risotto. Unless you actually plan on serving that you just wasted your product.
I make very creamy risottos already and the entirety of the rice dish is perfectly cooked.

>hot sauce
baka

Attached: Mirepoix Risotto.jpg (960x540, 336K)

>risotto
>milk

Attached: IMG_407.jpg (248x189, 15K)

he specifically said he's not talking about burning you pompous ass

he said he's specifically overcooking one layer of the rice in the pan. which is fucking wrong.
you dont need to do that to release a lot of starch.

it doesn't sound like it's so disastrously wrong that personal preference can't account for it. and it's not burning.

Risotto is easy as fuck.
Add saffron or other seasonings as anons have mentioned.
Add a fancy mushroom

I agree just stirring frequently will release a good amount of starch

i've been insulted, i've had people hate everything i do based on a "personal preference"
Yet we have someone who is actually overcooking a risotto and he's getting defended for cooking it improperly

you don't actually have to stir frequently at all

just cook the rice through and stir at the end while you're mounting in whatever else you're finishing with

Add gorgonzola and cream cheese. It's delicious.

he's doing it deliberately so as to retain the outer starch layer of some of the rice while dissolving a portion of it into the sauce. i understand the idea and the truth is most people overcook the whole thing.

This is wrong agian imo. But i've heard some chefs defend it.
I think you're going to get better consistency and texture by stirring it continuously. I will let mine sit unstirred for a few minutes while i prepare something else but i go back to stirring it.
>retain the outer layer of starch
Wtf are you talking about i dont even get the logic of it.

because you can get a very consistent and creamy starch by stirring alone.

rice is made from two layers of different starches which have different properties. the outer layer of the starch is less soluble, but when it does mix with water it is what produces the thickening in the risotto. the inner layer dissolves more easily but does not thicken. in order to protect the shape and bite of the rice you do not want to dissolve the outer layer too much - however, you do want to dissolve some of it to produce the sauce. there is a balancing act when you make a risotto and lot of different methods to get to a good result

stfu risotto fag, you know nothing and can't cook for shit desu.

why would you put saffron on a plate like that, the shit is disgusting on its own. Just because it's expensive doesn't make it good.

>I might be the best at risotto on Veeky Forums unless some accomplished chefs are secretly browsing.
I know that 99% of Veeky Forums are alcoholic fast-food enthusiasts, but there are plenty of professional chefs here.

because i didnt know what to do with the presentation
you know all of the people you're replying to aren't risotto fag right.
I'm here now dumbass.

Attached: peposo 2.jpg (2016x1512, 463K)

yeah and their intentionally overcooking a part of their product everytime they make risotto.
It's just saddening.

>their
You realise you only spoke to one, right?

looks like a big slopovshit

thanks man i love memes

Go back to stacking shelves.

Attached: 1520626466400.jpg (480x476, 38K)

Don't have time for that, have to focus on acing more culinary classes.

Put your trip back on and stack some shelves.

Attached: 1518558629910.jpg (423x615, 20K)