Are cocktails a meme?

are cocktails a meme?
I've never had any I grew up in a town with one bar and it only served beer.

Should I try making a white Russian at home? it sounds appetizing.

Attached: Irish-coffee-GettyImages-86161328-58af3cc33df78cdcd840913f.jpg (600x400, 25K)

mixology is a meme but cocktails are good. drinking liquor at all if you aren't taking shots is technically a cocktail.

Cocktails are pretty good but easy to fuck up.
White Russians are hard to fuck up, just don't drown it in the milk/cream.
Screwdrivers are pretty good too
Go to a brewery if you have one that serves good liquor, they usually have good cocktails on hand.

I looked up screwdrivers, and those are what I drank in the forest to make vodka palatable as a teen.
Thanks for the advice, but I'm set on making them myself instead.

are those mixing cups a meme?
(all I know about cocktails is from movies kek sorry)

Do you like getting drunk? Well how would you like to get drunk... on something that tastes... different?

Sounds gay.

The classics aren’t a meme-they’re simple to make and taste good.
The million and a half frou-frou things are memes-most of the shit is really just variations on a few basic combinations. Know those and some ratios and you can make a lot of things very easily.

As for equipment, there’s no need to get too fancy. Most of the shit you need you either already own or can pick up for cheap. A cocktail shaker is nice, but I use a cocktail strainer more, and it’s 1/4 the price.

Basic mixed drinks:
Highball (whiskey & ginger ale)
Rum & Coke
Screwdriver (vodka & OJ, use vanilla vodka for a Creamsicle)
7&7 (Seagram’s 7 & 7Up)
Mimosa (OJ & Champagne)
Moscow Mule (Vodka & Ginger beer)
Gin & Tonic water (add lime juice to taste)
Vodka Cranberry
John Daly (half sweet tea, half lemonade, add vodka to taste)

Basic cocktails
Old Fashioned (8:1 whiskey to sugar syrup, add a dash of bitters to taste, stir over ice and serve)
Manhattan (2 parts rye whiskey to 1 part sweet vermouth, add orange bitters to taste, stir 30 seconds and strain, maraschino cherry garnish)
Whiskey Sour (4 parts whiskey, 2 parts lemon juice, 1 part sugar syrup, shake vigorously over ice until shaker is frosty and strain into glass)
Dry Martini (4 parts dry gin, 3 parts dry vermouth, 1 dash bitters, stir until cold and strain)

The best advice anyone ever gave me: always use fresh ingredients, ESPECIALLY fresh vermouth.
Vermouth is a wine, and like all wines it spoils quickly once open. People using spoiled vermouth has wrecked the reputations of a lot of fine cocktails, especially the dry martini. Buy smaller bottles of the stuff and don’t be afraid to throw the shit out when it goes bad. Cheap vermouth that’s fresh makes much better tasting cocktails than expensive stuff that’s spoiled.
Keeping your vermouth in the fridge will give you a couple more days, but it’ll still go bad in a week or so no matter what you do, and dry goes bad quicker than sweet does.

White Russians are great, tastes like a milkshake, and will get you super drunk, just don't drink more than one or two, all that cream sugar vodka and 80 proof liqueur will make you vomit fountains.

White russians are pretty gross desu. In fact, most single combination drinks tend to prolong the taste of the alcohol without making it any better in my experience.

just put your mouth on it

Oh dear, I could drink White Russians just like Big Lebowski, as in all day long. Except it's got be one of the most calorie dense liquids known to mankind, IRL he would be a 500+ pound fatass. So yeah try it, just don't make it habit.

Why would cocktails be a meme?

I like this pasta

That wasn’t pasta.

A really well made Long Island Iced Tea is amazing.

You fucking faggot its called an Arnold Palmer not a John Daly.

Also A Dry martini should be 2:1,4:3 is over kill. 4:3 should be what the ratio for a manhattan.

Cocktails aren't a meme but large amounts of sugar with alcohol is a meme. Don't drink the white Russian it's anti american drink cocktails, not cucktails.

Add red grenadine to a screwdriver until it's turbogay pink. Like LASER BRIGHT fucking pink.
It tastes like creamsicle and girls go nuts for them. The only other fast panty-dropper is V8 fruit drinks because they bury alcohol taste, like fucking 80% vodka in a 12 oz glass tastes like a normal drink.

Thats just a vodka sunrise.

Oh I'm sure I didn't invent it or anything, just didn't know the name. When I was bar tending all I had to to was make a free one and I sold about every other woman in the bar on them, sure we gave away $3 (it's not a normal bar, it's super cheap) but we made $60+ and the tips went up.

what are some good american cocktails? also what is the american version of white russian?

The bar I worked at wasn't exactly world class, it was average age of 50 until about 10pm (inexplicably then it was 20 somethings and eurobeat all night). Dark wood from floor to ceiling and 99% shots and beer crowd.
I tried hard to push cocktails, fresh organic ingredients displayed on an ice bed front and center changed some minds. With my blog post out of the way:
6 mixed berries crushed
pick a reasonable soda and liquor combo
shakey shakey
pour through strainer over fresh ice
add 2 berries to garnish

No user just pour liquor down your throat. If cooking should have taught you anything its that mixing ingredients is futile and doesn't change taste of individual things.

The autism on this board is killing me.

I drink my liquor straight, rum and vodka. But different people have vastly different tastes, hell I know a guy that drinks 3oz of fucking Metaxa (???) with two small ice cubes exclusively.

I'm not saying you can't drink liquor straight (personally the only way I drink liqour.) I was sarcastically telling him not to try new things and just dump it down his throat since obviously mixed drinks are a meme.

You forgot to use Sarcasm Font™

An Arnold Palmer is just the tea and lemonade, dipshit. There’s no alcohol in it. A John Daly is a play on the AP, made with alcohol and so named because JD was a fucking drunk.

The Manhattan has been 2:1 for over a fucking century, unchanged.

The original recipe for the martini was actually 1:1, basically a Martinez without the maraschino liqueur. For a sweet martini you use Holland Gin (aka Genever, and sweeter than dry gin) and sweet vermouth; for a dry martini it’s dry gin and dry vermouth.
I like a 1:1 sweet martini; for dry I happen to think 4:3 tastes a little better with neither spirit overpowering. A 2:1 martini has the gin drowning out the vermouth. This may be more palatable when your vermouth has already gone bad, but at that point you’re much better off just getting a small bottle of fresh vermouth and making it the right way with fresh ingredients. At any rate, you’ll hate it less than trying to mask the taste of spoiled wine with good gin.

I don't think you can do the white Russian without sugary liqueur. Else it'd just be vodka and milk. Maybe someone can help out on this front. In truth though, sugar with alcohol in general just leads to obesity and lots of really bad hangovers. I recommend dirty and dry martinis. White tequila mojitos with diluted agave as a sweetener.

I think the best American cocktail is a variation of the bloody Mary known as the Caligula. Uses lots of fresh herbs and vegetable juice. Extremely refreshing cocktail.

The Caligula

1.5 oz white tequila
2.5 oz gin
Muddle one jalapeno and a sprig of cilantro in a frosty shaker. Puree 1/6th of a field cucumber with three cherry tomatoes. Worcestershire sauce to taste. Splash of olive brine. Shake vigorously with ice. Rim the glass with black pepper. Pour and strain. Ideally you'd want to juice the veg but not many people have a juicer.

Skip the milk and just drink black russians.
>Vodka+Kahlua

you literally can't go wrong

Martinis, Old Fashioned's, Gin and Tonics, Vodka Rocks, Scotch neats...stick to these and you won't go astray

this is true. Amazing in the fact that in a glass 9/10's full of shitty well liquor with a 1/10 splash of tea+simple syrup, you can't taste any liquor.

Only fags call it mixology. It's cocktail bartended, as opposed to beertending.

I was gifted a bottle of orgeat for christmas and now I can have mai tais whenever I want.
Anyone else tiki?

>Anyone else tiki?
no, sorry. im not a fat old man who dresses exclusively in hawaiian shirts despite having never visited hawaii

I design cocktails, OP. Ama if you care.
I used to make orgeat. I fucks with tiki. Swizzles are superior, usually have less sugar and often more booze like a zombie.

sounds nice, user. I'll take 1 and keep 'em coming!

En American version of a White Russian would be bourbon instead of vodka. Bourbon can be astringent so I'd go

1.5oz bourbon
2oz heavy cream
Splash of vanilla extract
Built over ice

American version of the white Russian? I would say a "coffee cocktail" perhaps. It's a style of drink called a flip. It has no coffee.
1 1/2oz cognac
1 1/2oz ruby port
3/4oz simple syrup
Whole egg

Dry shake, add ice, shake, double strain into a port class or snifter, grate nutmeg. Fucking tastey.

I'm telling you fuckers, just leave out the milk/cream and go straight for the black rusin. trust me, i've had like 5 of them already

Sounds fucking awful, user. Zero balance, I dont need to try it and i can already tell. Bourbon and heavy cream? Vanilla extract? Where is your sweet balance.

A coffee cocktail has no cream and skips the bullshit coffee liquour

i'm down with the whole egg, but there is something neat and simple about just vodka+kahlua

Simple, sure, cocktails usually take work. Vodka and kaluah will get ya drunk, not the worst thing but it's artificially flavored.

Mixology has sorta become a thing at hipster bars, but it's also pretty fun to get into if you have the disposable income to buy obscure liquors or are willing to make your own. You can experiment with a lot of interesting flavor combinations. Classic cocktails though are super basic and no one is going to turn an eye if you order a White Russian, or martini, or Manhatten, or Cape Cod, or margarita, or what have you.

23 checked

Because they are an imitated behaviour. Like practically everything in any culture, they are a meme.

>cape cod
Who the fuck orders a cape cod? Really? That's a highball, not a cocktail. Same with a white Russian, btw. You could debate that if you really wanted, but it's just a highball. No need to mix anything, it can even be served separated so the person drinking it mixes it themselves.

Moscow Mules, Irish Coffees, and (well-made) Mojitos are the only cocktails I can't leave a cocktail bar without. Just bought everything to make Mules and I'm stoked as fuck to start learning how to make cocktails.

Vodka, lime, ginger beer is the traditional recipe. It's again, more of a high ball. If you like a Mojito try a Southside next time you're at a decent spot.

reminder: a moscow mule isn't the same without the copper plated mug. somehow, either the scent/flavor the copper gives off when reacting with the ethanol makes it complete

Yes you should expand your horizons OP

>Even tho White Russians are for Lebowskie Tier alcoholics

Where did you grow up?

Son I'm not sure you know what a brewery is.

>knowing this little about someone this based

Attached: 110316_ms_john_daly_ice_cream[1].jpg (1920x1080, 122K)

Son I know exaclty what a brewery is because my best friends dad has one.

How fast does vermouth go bad if I refridgerate it?
I'm just getting into mixed drinks after drinking cheap vodka like a college freshman for the last 5 years, what are somd good staples? I've got Gin, Vodka, Rye and corn whiskeys, sweet vermouth and angostura bitters.

I like to drink more than I should and I like to do it as fast as possible. White Russians involve milk and cola I believe, and it’s not something I’m interested in. I drink beer, tequila shots, and whiskey sours. All three go great with each other. When I go somewhere warm and sandy I drink lots of Pina coladas, maybe the odd margarita, but that’s about it.

>cocktails a meme
Cocktails have been popular across the entire world since 1920. They are drinks representing socialite culture, businessmen, office workers, party people, youth, women, travelers, diplomats, the wealthy, and those in culinary industries such as chefs and critics. It is far bigger than shit on Reddit and Tasteshit, and if you haven't tried them before, you should start now. Start with the easy mixed drinks (mostly one liquor with one or two juices or sodas), and move onto the more elaborate classics made with fresh fruit, high quality liquors, and elaborate syrups and bitters.

>should I try making a white Russian
Do you like Starbucks latte drinks? If so, sure. It's easy to get right. I recommend equal parts decent vodka or soju (or diluted grain spirit) and kahlua, then two parts milk, cream, or almond milk. Shake with plenty of ice (get a metal shaker, they are hard to substitute).

>are mixing cups a meme
Yes. Measure alcohol in ratio parts, not precise measurements. I use shot glasses. Elaborate recipes might require a kitchen spoon set at most (tea and table spoons). Measuring cups are only necessary if you need to make a giant jug of something.

>Highball (whiskey & ginger ale)
>whiskey sour with no egg
>martini dryer than the desert
>vermouth is a wine

Could you be a bigger dumbass?
Highballs are made with soda water.
Vermouth doesn't go bad quickly because it's fortified with substantial amounts of liquor, raising the proof and protecting against contamination which is what spoils things.

Just use Martini-brand vermouth. It's fine.

Let's say you make it with a shot each of kahlua (91 carbo cals), vodka (only alcohol cals), and two shots of milk (36 cals). That would be 127 calories, excluding the almost negligible alcohol calories.

Note: your body cannot store alcohol as energy, it pisses it out through the liver and kidneys, but the process of metabolizing alcohol puts your digestive system on pause until the alcohol is finished, making it easier to retain food as weight instead of metabolizing it for energy.

if you think mojitos are good, try old virgins and aku akus. Even better, try them with Ron Zacapa or Tanduay.