Ok for anyone have experience making mapo tofu. I went to the local asian store and bought these 3 items...

Ok for anyone have experience making mapo tofu. I went to the local asian store and bought these 3 items. All the recipe videos says to use douban jiang and crushed szuchan pepper corn. but then i saw the sauce (left one) is that just the combined of the middle and right one? So when i make mapo tofu i can either use the left one or middle+right one?

Attached: mapo.jpg (2508x3052, 1.95M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rrib8x0CKb8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I've made this a couple times the past week and it came out really well. You're missing an important ingredient, fermented black beans. Also I'm not sure why you bought the thing of the far left. All you need is the Toban Djan. The peppercorns are used to make an oil and garnish (toast them then crush them up).

fermented black beans are essential
a tiny bit of ground pork is also nice every now and then

I should mention, the fermented black beans is all you're missing from what you'd get at an asian grocery. You'll still need chili powder, soy sauce, chili oil (might need to get at asian grocery), ginger (fresh), garlic (fresh), and a little ground pork as suggests.

pro tip: "good" authentic mapo doufu, even, isn't good

it's just greasy, shitty tasting tofu. every other culture's tofu dish is better including made up american ones.

mapo tofu is a literal meme dish. it's just greasy hot tofu. it's nothing.

Oh, I also forgot about the small amount of potato/corn starch used to thicken it up. If you follow this tutorial exactly, your mapo tofu will come out really well, even if you don't have a wok.
youtube.com/watch?v=rrib8x0CKb8

Tofu fucking sucks, the only good use for tofu is deep fried and sliced in fried noodle/ rice dishes

you've just been memed by anime dumb weeb

Attached: FriedTofu.jpg (2592x1944, 1.78M)

Actually it does taste good. Maybe you're just a pretentious faggot?

It is very likely OP just recently watched Shokugeki. Also deep frying is shit.

someone just read F/SN

You don't deep fry it, you buy it fresh deep fried from your local tofu shop, and add it sliced into fried rice/ noodles. It has a really nice light chewy texture, with pockets of air like good sourdough, rather than being gelatinous and dense. You can just slice it and add it to things rather than worrying about heavily flavouring it so that it is even vaguely palatable. It's already nice. The texture of regular tofu is just not pleasant to me, i noticed that slimy/ gelatenous things are popular in China, but I don't like them. It's like verging on 50s aspic nightmares.

it may taste "Good" to you but it's nothing special it's nothing to pursue. it's nothing with mystique that people want it to be

its greasy tofu with shit, cheap, garbage ingredients. it's shit that poor people eat because they have to.

Sichuan cooking is actually special though, because the ma la it uses is unique to that cuisine. If mapo tofu is the first sichuan dish you eat, then it is special too. Greasy isn't a fair criticism either, the oil is flavourful, and being bothered by it is because you're fat, not because the food is bad. Lots of the best Indian curries also have a pool of oil on top. Mapo Tofu also deconstructs the false western notion that many people hold about tofu, that it is a. healthy, and b. for vegetarians.

I'm not sure where you get your tofu, but most American tofu doesn't have any flavor or scent. What is the point in frying something that has no flavor?

What the fuck are you going on about? No one suggested this is some unique and mysterious dish besides you.

I get my tofu from a local chink tofu shop, and the man there fries it fresh daily. It's cubes that look like pic above. It changes the texture, as i said, making it aerated like a good sourdough loaf, with a light chew. Nothing like pan fried tofu at home.

>Sichuan cooking is actually special though

not what was being discussed

OK, so within the canon of sichuan food, mapo tofu is not special, but within the canon of amerifat anime weeb no 22s food of tendies and mcdonalds, there are no other sichuan dishes, the ma la taste is totally unique, and the dish is special.

Hell, for fucking almost anyone outside northern China, Mapo Tofu is different from anything they would have ever eaten before.

You forgot the namesake ingredient, mah poo

To make mapo I always used

White Miso
Gochujang
Soy Sauce
Mirin
sesame oil
Douban jiang

Then like ground pork or beef, green onions, tofu.

Enjoy your coronary heart disease

Not a big fan of it either. I mean, the taste is passable, but if you use silken tofu like a lot of recipes recommend, it just has this nasty slimy consistency. Also szechuan peppers are kinda shitty tasting.

That looks fucking disgusting. I hope your nuts get crushed when your fat girlfriend sits on them so you can't breed

thanks user, making this tonight

imma probably add kimchi also

yeah cool, that's not mapo tofu though

>people only know about an extremely common dish because of a cartoon
Range ban on flyover land when?

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 38K)

To make texas chili always used

cream
sriracha
pizza sauce
chicken strips
bacon
corn

Then like potatos,sugar,sage,italian sausage

Attached: 1446840345879.jpg (382x382, 21K)

I hope a chunk of Szechuan pepper lodges itself on your uvula

>Miso
>Gochujang
>Mirin
shamefur dispray

Not even joking, take some Italian sausage out of the casing and put it in with the rest of the chili meat when making actual chili. Its comes out really great.

Those are all common ingredients in mapo. Have you people never actually had mapo?

maybe in shitty asian fusion restaurants, nip and gook shit has no place in superior chinese cuisine

Attached: 1497820030799.jpg (492x449, 48K)

(1/2)

Attached: Dunlop Fuchsia - Land of Plenty A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking (2003, WW NORTON & COMPA (977x1321, 195K)

(2/2)

Attached: Dunlop Fuchsia - Land of Plenty A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking (2003, WW NORTON & COMPA (969x1335, 196K)

Why would you use all those ingredients? It's like you're just throwing shit into the mix because you have it.

>4 tablespoons cornstarch
The rest of it is similar to what I use, but what the fuck is with 4 tbsp of cornstarch.