Redpill me on american cuisine

redpill me on american cuisine

hardmode: no meme answers (yes, we know that americans eat burgers, shut the fuck up)

Attached: usa-node-picture.jpg (510x273, 60K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymotion.com/video/x2iiu5d
youtube.com/watch?v=moylLCWwEG8
allrecipes.com/recipe/166638/baked-buffalo-wings/
youtube.com/watch?v=gWKOUxF-Dso
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

you know Epcot in Disney World? think that
>melting pot of all the world's cuisines
you can find pretty much anything here except sheep lung and kinder eggs

There is no cuisine. It is just immigrants bringing their food over but making inferior versions of it

Don't ever say 'Redpill' again if you want people to think of you as an adult.

Otherwise, the only cuisine in America that matters is Cajun and Creole.

dailymotion.com/video/x2iiu5d

most of our recipes suck because our food culture is basically whatever farmers could slap together
we've basically got either food from other countries or ethnicities, or just focus on doing the dishes we do have really well. It's going to vary from coast to coast but you're going to run into a lot of stews and sandwiches just with regional ingredients

I don't know if you people have Netflix, but you need to watch The Mind of a Chef, but if you want to learn any culture.

The difficult thing about American cuisine is that it's basically family favorites from all over Europe. Although this will be an unpopular thing to say on Veeky Forums, slave food provided the foundation for a truly American-based cuisine.

However, what we see after World War 2 is a shift from those traditional Europe dishes to more meat based. Now you have a developed nation with literally more money than they can spend and they want meat. So we develop an entire culture around that and it takes off, snuffing out the vegetable-based diet of the past 400 years.

But one key element always stays the same. We retain that foundation of slave food. Family barbecues become popular as do drive-in barbecues. Soon, Ray Croc would transform the drive-in barbecue into the backbone of the American lunch.

While Europeans would have eventually figured it out (and Native Americans were grilling as well) Americans would have been making boiled steak puddings for decades longer if it hadn't been for the enslaved's taste for charred meat.

It's a country with a ton of land, a lot of different people, a lot of different cultures, a lot of different food, on a board with a lot of shit-posters.

Most of what you'll see is from the flood of small-minded zombies from overpopulated and declining urban wastelands. Please ignore the feeding troughs for the damned.

You're absolutely not wrong.

youtube.com/watch?v=moylLCWwEG8

anyone here make good buffalo wings? Why the fuck are they not popular in other parts of the world? They are amazing. Only had them in Buffalo and some bar in Toronto. So. Fucking. Good.

Use the other stupid fucking recipes, but mince a jalapeno pepper if you want something great.

B U R G E R S
U
R
G
E
R
S

Attached: 1500600854716.jpg (1914x900, 539K)

We take the general concepts of food from other countries and make them better.

....what recipe? It's just equal parts franks and butter, with fried wings ya?

>and kinder eggs
I saw a Kinder Egg commercial on TV a week ago.

The "No Kinder Eggs in America" meme is officially dead.

>All these people saying Amerigano cuisine is nothing but bad ethnic food and cajun
Thats what you fucktards get for shitting on flyovers. Country style cooking is wholly american and fucking amazing.

There's so much more to put into that shit. cayenne, ah fuck. I spent 3 days parsing the recipe with ingredients. Let me do it right, and I'll give it to you. I needs mayo.

they're kinder joys, not kinder eggs, retard. kinder joys separate the chocolate and toy portions by housing them in different parts of the plastic. it's not a legit kinder egg. it's just nutella with a spoon and a toy.

Do you guys bing watch shows?

wicked. thanks man.

would I really fuck them over if I baked them?

not at all. There's a simple buffalo coating, then there's a dipping sauce.

allrecipes.com/recipe/166638/baked-buffalo-wings/

Cool your dipping sauce with some mayo or someshit. I'll work that recipe back up.

seems easy enough. thx pal

Attached: 1024x557_BuffaloSlider_silo_tan.jpg (1024x557, 80K)

American pizza is better than Italian pizza and that will never not be true.

buckets of hot wings, blue cheese and fries with a side salad

You have it the other way around. Slave food is Southern food created by white Southerners and Indians. Fried Chicken originated with Scotch-Irish immigrants and Barbecue was taken from native tradition of cooking meat. Africans only in part contributed to Southern food, particularly in spices, some vegetables like okra, and rice.

and they only have maybe 3 or 4 different styles to compete, while we have one for almost every state in the union.

It's very regional. Different states might as well be different countries when it comes to food.

soft pretzels
cheesesteaks

we take things from other cultures and do them either way better or way worse

>American pizza is better than Italian pizza

t. no one ever

American creations or changes vary so highly in quality from abominations to putting the original to shame.

For instance most Italian pizzas are a shame.

>American food tends to be sweeter than elsewhere. I know it plays into memes around here, but it's true, we throw HFCS in everything. It's what happens when you subsidize corn on the level we do. An exception is starches though. Regular bread isn't sweet here, neither are potato based dishes generally.

>Again, I know it plays into shitty "Do Americans really...?" memes, but portions are large in the US, especially if you go South. Drinks are also very big. Unlike a lot of cultures though, it's not considered rude to leave food on your plate, and it's actually normal to have leftovers boxed up to go at restaurants.

>Americans love cheese. We put it on lots of stuff, but with the exception of cream cheese, it's generally on savory dishes, not sweet. That said, the types of cheese we use are pretty limited, you see a lot of processed cheese foods and firm, salty mild cheeses like cheddar.

>Drinks are generally cold unless it's coffee (and even then, iced coffee is very popular). Nearly everything will come with ice in it by default.

>If you're going to an "ethnic" restaurant in America, just silently add "-American" on the end in your mind, i.e. an Italian place is going to serve Italian-American food, a Mexican place is going to serve Mexican-American food and so on. Pretty much all food served here gets localized.

depends on where you are, where the immigrants are from and how recently they came over

I come from a Portuguese area that is all first generation immigrants so the food is the same as in the old country

>hard mode: disqualifying any distinctive American foods
That’s fucking stupid.
It’s like asking what’s so great about French cuisine if you disallow any butter, cheese or French cooking methods.

But it’s not just about burgers and BBQ. America’s a huge country and has a number of distinct regional styles that have extensive menus. Some of the most famous regional styles are Coastal Seafood, Cajun and Creole, Deep South, Tex-Mex, and Chinese American, just to name a few.
Here where I am in the Deep South, we have fried chicken and BBQ yes, but also other distinctive dishes like red rice, collard greens, hoecakes, cornbread, biscuits, Low Country Boil, Brunswick stew, liver mush, pecan pie, hummingbird cake, and the list just goes on. And each other regional menu is similarly deep. You could eat a whole week of just regional dishes from each style, not repeat a thing, not eat anything from other regional menus, and you’d enjoy yourself the whole time.
Famous dishes include the aforementioned BBQ pork and fried chicken from the Deep South, Crab cakes from the Atlantic Coast, Blackened Redfish and Red Beans and Rice from the Gulf Coast, Chili Con Carne and BBQ brisket from the Southwest, or Fish tacos and Cobb Salad from the West Coast.

another thing is that a lot of traditional recipes and ingredients are still lost or in the process of being rediscovered. there's so much variety and depth that the cuisine doesn't have a clear continuity or easily understood identity/history/tradition.

Try J. Kenji Lopez Alt's recipe for oven baked wings. It uses baking powder and the results are great form what I've tried

wew this

>slave food
because Africans came over knowing how to barbecue

they picked it up pretty quickly from natives in the caribbean colonies so w/e

Shut up you fag, redpill is a fine word, and Cajun food is a tiny scrap of America cuisines and dishes.

the pinnacle of american """cuisine'""

Attached: sloppy-joe.jpg (460x305, 73K)

It's so extensive and regional people can't pin a dozen or so items and say "that's America on a plate". That's when American culture thrives, when it's regionalized. It tends to go to shit when it's nationalized and has to placate to far too many different tastes. This goes for everything, not just food.

This nigger never actually went to italy let me tell you that

There is no "American" pizza, it doesn't even make sense. Even the most flyover of flyovers has 337 variations in it's town

Apple sauce
Apple butter
Bookbinder soup
Breakfast burrito
Brunswick stew
Buffalo burger
Buffalo wing
Bull roast
Clam chowder
Pecan pie
Cheese steak sandwich
Chicken nugget
Chicken parmigiana
Chicken sandwich
Chili
White chocolate
Crab cakes
Coleslaw
Creamed corn
Fajitas
Fried chicken
Grits
Lasagna
Lobster Newberg
Lobster roll
London broil
Macaroni and cheese
Milk shakes
Peanut butter
Peanut butter cookies
Pepperoni
Pulled pork
Pumpkin pie
Steamed clams
Stuffed ham
Bergenost
Colby
Monterey Jack
Swiss cheese
Ambrosia (fruit salad)
Angel food cake
Apple dumpling
Banana split
Bananas Foster
Boston cream pie
Banana pudding

fuck your tomato bread. Italian food is the most overrated cuisine on the planet.

>Swiss cheese

That's a wee bit silly, ya know.

It's only called Swiss cheese, just like German chocolate cake, or Australian Shepards.

>Swiss cheese is a generic name in North America for several related varieties of cheese, mainly of North American manufacture, which resemble Emmental cheese, a yellow, medium-hard cheese that originated in the area around Emmental, in Switzerland.

That would be Japanese.

Believe it or not, I actually studied the origins of American cuisine. It's a very long story, so I'm gonna boil it down for you guys:

>initial colonization begins
>settlers from different places flock to the shiny new continent
>huge variety of regional cuisine develops depending on available resources and dominant nationalities
Corn bread being so prevalent in the Southern US is a fine example for the former, as corn was cheaper than wheat down there for a long time. And old habits die hard.

>life on the frontier is rough, you gotta make do with what you have
>limited equipment, limited resources, dangerous environments, lots of travelling
Some speculate that this contributed to today's fast-food culture in the US, but I think that's far-fetched. Instead, these attitudes are what spawned so many variations of old-world food. American pizza probably started when some Luigi was lacking ingredients and had to experiment and substitute.
Native Americans probably had a big role to play as well, as the settlers could copy the natives and improve on that.

>things calm down, people truly settle down
>trade routes and communication channels are established
And here we have the reason why you can go to any US state and find a broad selection of foods from all over the world. Local cuisines mixed with each other and then went global.

But the regional cuisines stayed and are here to stay. So, what can we draw from that?

>While not the most creative of cuisines, the creativity is definitely there.
>American cuisine is a mix of old-world styles, but with drastic changes made, giving it its own identity.
>The simple dishes are a fine example of ingenuity and hardiness. Historically speaking, this simple-but-effective-and-delicious development is similar to German and Polish cuisine.
Hope you learned something!

Attached: forked.jpg (515x515, 94K)

Thank you user

Attached: 1520305074428.jpg (690x750, 71K)

The correct name would be "Swiss style cheese then". I've also seen Americans post about "Polish kielbasa" and "German Bratwurst" manufactured in America. The name is very misleading and, to be frank, dishonest.

You have Americans whining about cultural appropriation, but then they pull shit like that.

lol those sausages have been being made by Polish and German immigrants for the past 200 years. You know, my ancestors who were intelligent enough to leave the european shithole long ago.
PS: our beer is better than yours too.

>Some speculate that this contributed to today's fast-food culture
Americans work longer hours and are "rich" enough to afford having meals made for them on a regular basis while the family unit has broken down somewhat

That's all nice, but it doesn't change the fact that the way you're naming these products borders on lying.

The label doesn't mean that's where it came from but rather what style it is. They're made by the descendents of Polish and German immigrants so no, it's not lying

You're welcome.

They're made by Mexican illegal immigrants working below minimal wage at food factories. A country's name is a geographic indication. There's a reason why we protect regional produce in the EU.

The chocolate tastes like a softer kinder bar, which is pretty cool. The toys suck more than a normal kinder egg.

You know what the fuck I meant, stop trying to split hairs. The EU isn't entirely made up of the descendents of immigrants like the US so that's a retarded comparison

You could just name it, you know, "x style sausage" and everybody would be happy.
How's that wall coming along?

Because most people aren't autistic enough to not get that from the packaging and need selective labeling

I don't know I'm not a Trumptard

>Trumptard
I agreed with you up to there, go back to Facebook with that boomer normie tier insult.

>be from whatever shithole country
>move to America
>forget how to make shithole country food upon arriving
lmao

Attached: 1520479240931.png (1280x720, 1.63M)

No dishonest, practical.
Emmentaler is a legally protected appellation, so Americans had to make do with describing it how they could, and the name stuck.

Stop trying to pretend you’re German, Mohammed.
You’re not fooling anyone.

I saw kinder eggs at the store yesterday ya dingus

No such thing.
The USA us a living celebration of diversity.
We have elements of all cultures, black, Mexican, Islamic and Jewish for example.
It's I possible to sum up.

Italian-American food is basically Campagnian food with fewer vegetables (which were harder to come by in NYC) fewer varieties of cheese (because imports were expensive) and a lot more meat (because meat was cheaper in America). The meatballs in spaghetti and meatballs for instance are huge compared to their mother dish

Attached: 56389489.jpg (620x413, 218K)

Sure there is, it’s just not nearly as publicized as all of the European-derived dishes.
Bison, elk, raccoon, opossum, prairie chicken, turkey, whitetailed deer and all sorts of native fish dishes are unquestionably American, as are corn, squash, beans, potatoes, pawpaws, pecans, persimmons, wild rice, bay leaves, blue crabs, lobster, crayfish, tomatoes, hot peppers and blueberries.

Wanna try that

Attached: i got this pic from reddit.jpg (768x1024, 195K)

That actually tastes good. I highly recommend it.
>that first salty /sip/

Real "American" cuisine is what Native Americans made. Everything else is what immagrants brought with them.

Attached: Native American.jpg (204x248, 9K)

>Corn/maize
>Succotash
>Longpig
>Johnny Cakes

Attached: 1520873753295.gif (409x304, 2M)

this video makes me want to try american cuisine
youtube.com/watch?v=gWKOUxF-Dso

>does this blanket smell like smallpox?

"Native" Americans are immigrants themselves. They just came earlier.

Attached: 1509931963528.png (516x501, 452K)

Europe is no longer allowed to use tomatoes or potatoes, sorry guys

honestly the south is the only region worth checking out as far as a culinary destination goes

Attached: 1411516487003.png (1800x1259, 672K)

Don't know why but kind of want

Greek salad
German chocolate cake
English muffins
french dipped sandwich
cobb salad

America invents everything good.

>Regular bread isn't sweet here
wat

>that image
Unless he shot someone with it, it looks like some jackass having way too much fun with his shotgun. Can you imagine going to the firing range with something like this?

Attached: Data Laughs.gif (200x150, 767K)

jesus christ it's just smoked meat
dumb gooks.

they don't really do that in korea though

You fucking morons ruined this thread when you ignored Willie Maes.

You're all fast food human soylent green.

You honest to god don't know how fucking uninformed you are every single day.

Everything is bigger in America.
Except beers!

Attached: 1488561309598.png (812x806, 797K)

Who lived on that land before native americans?

pigeons and bison

The Great White Buffalo and Crow, the Trickster

>native americans?
no such thing.

You guys didn't hear? The Ojibwe tribe considers that term highly racist. They're "northern indigenous-Americans" if I remember properly.

Which is why I insist on being refereed to a "non-indigenous Alpine American"

Not human
inb4
>injens arent either

>the Trickster
You know of Zales?

Attached: Salish.jpg (1024x576, 68K)

who lived on europe before europeans?
>pigs, elk
>umm those are not human sweetie ;)

and now you are aware of how retarded this argument is

Actually, most modern Europeans (except for Basques) were immigrants as well. It was just a longer time ago, and killing the existing natives off is more tolerated when it’s your tribe doing the killing.

>no meme answers
Then don't ask meme questions, you fucking idiot.

Thats what my southern roomate thinks, but he is very very wrong.

The south cant cook to save their lives.