Do you wash your rice?

Do you wash your rice?

With short grain/Japanese rice you do it to wash out the starch, but is it needed for long grain or basmati?

Attached: headerrinsing-rice.jpg (620x458, 127K)

>eating rice when youre not a gook
what for?

It's more about what you're coocking than what the rice "needs". You don't wash the starch out of risotto, but you do wash the starch off before frying rice.

I usually wash my basmati rice before boiling/steaming.

I wash my rice until the water is clear

I wash all rice and not just because of the surface starch but because I don't know who had their grubby hands on it and some people don't poo in the loo.

>With short grain/Japanese rice you do it to wash out the starch, but is it needed for long grain or basmati?
What?
I've never seen(heard) such a thing.
Is it Japanese food?

Entirely depends on how sticky you want your rice to be. he more starch left the more sticky it will be.

Yes, though rinsing multiple times, soaking, and then drying aren't necessary like with sticky rice.

Leaving the starch on makes it mushy and weirdly gooey, not pearly and pleasantly adhering to one another. Clean rice is nice.

i tried not washing my rice once, to see if it was just a meme.
the rice tasted disgusting.
it's not a meme, anons.
was your rice.

I agree, but I can imagine how someone might want some of that effect and so they would not clean the rice as thoroughly.

I wash my rice except when I'm lazy and tired.

I don’t because the last step of processing fortified rice is they spray the vitamin and mineral water on the grains and dry it. (Washing removes most).

only use Dawn though.

>fortified rice
why...

Yes, it reduces the chance of the pot boiling over

That's only 1 type of fortified rice, MOST fortified rice is extrusion based and thus is not coated at all since the vitamins were added to the rice kernel itself, not coated afterwards.

this

>willingly eating the governments fortified chemicals
bro dont. value your life

This is an America board so let’s keep questions and answers based. In America most fortified rice is powdered coated or spray coated natural rice grains.

Because most people in the US don't buy fortified rice.

Fortified rice is for people who can't afford to eat anything but rice, or mainly rice.

In the US most people use rice as an accompaniment to a main protein.

In the US, 90% of rice isn't fortified.

Yeah and i do it by hand. A japanese guy taught me this at a youth hostel many years ago. Stir it around with your fingers. Rinse multiple times.

It will take you 10 years to master this technique.

Attached: 1517906725035.jpg (900x750, 82K)

That's bullshit

>Do you wash your rice?
I was always taught that this was like step 1 in preparing rice.

No it's not. Fortified rice is mainly used in Brazil, India, Pakistan, etc.

90%+ of rice sold in the US is unforitifed.

The fortification is only needed if your diet is so devoid of nutrients and minerals that you are an African child in those charity commercials or a morbidly obese person who eats nothing but Twinkies and mayo.

Rice is bland, featureless anti-food. The only purpose it serves is to supplement your meat and vegetable dishes with additional calories. Why would you then pour those additional calories (starch) down the drain?

Eat at my restaurant and guess what you get...

Attached: 47B01984-703F-4576-8CF1-0C9B42F8B195.jpg (1223x1218, 652K)

>place delicious salmon on top of bed of rice with a few bits of diced broccoli in it
>juices from salmon soak down into rice creating an excellent flavor
Or you could just slurp it off the plate after I guess.

lmao, so you buy shitty rice, therefore everyone in the US eats it?

Attached: 2018-01-14 09.57.17.jpg (4032x3024, 3.26M)

You don't have to use your fingers, vigorously swirl it in your cooking pot and it should only take around 6 drains to get it clear. Soak for an hour or so, drain and let dry before reintroducing the amount of water to boil. Bring up to a boil, cover, lower heat to a simmer and allow to cook for about 10 minutes. Take off of the heat and cover the lid with a towel and let sit for 10-20 minutes. Perfect sticky rice.

Attached: 1520003290156.gif (250x277, 1.88M)

Learn some self-respect and serve your salmon over roast veggies the way it was supposed to be.

Short grain rice has more starch and will clump together. This is desirable to some degree in Asian cooking.

The Japanese do not export any of their rice.

And that rice comes from the same field, enjoy the colors and the kanji that a food psychology consultant’s focus group picked as the one that made them feel exotic inside at 8 times the cost. Kek.

>The Japanese do not export any of their rice.
Not true, they don't export a massive amount, but they DO have rice exports.

Not to mention many of the varieties of rice have been brought to the US and a grown in california.

>extra long grain
>short grain

>same field.

Its like you don't even know how rice is made.

If you ACTUALLY think these two rices are identical you're literally insane.
I mean, come the fuck on.

That image is haunting. It looks like the role-playing Eric Cartman getting ready to talk about sex with sushi on Dr Phil

the veggies are roasted though...

Doesn’t matter, it’s all from Sacramento...

Yeah, you’re right, that expensive rice had classical music played to it in the fields and it was massaged daily and watered with beer...

>spending over an hour preparing fucking rice

>rice breeds don't matter if they're grown in the same area

are you actually an educated adult?

Fine... “ and to your left we have Calrose Short #348, and to the right, Carolina Gold #13, whew lad, that’s a huge economic difference just by crossing the freeway.

Not that user but they're different breeds and types of rice, each with different texture, taste and cooking method. Are you retarded.

Attached: 45711b72f1c189367fd58c9cc8d5f114.jpg (929x800, 79K)

So what...

thinks those baby carrots are grown that way...

so they can all be grown in the same place without mixing breeds...

Holy shit user you're retarded.

So saying that two rices are grown in the same place is retarded.

They're not the same, who cares if they're grown in the same place? They're still vastly different rices.

that's a DOTA2 pro for you

Adjacent fields... the main crop is medium grain rice. The coops pay the 2500 member corporate farms to produce market demand goods, the mills are set up for medium grain, marketing overseas, etc.

The expensive rice doesn’t develop from superiority in all cases, it’s just if you decide to grow forbidden rice in your paddy, you will need to find a contract Miller that can proceed your snowflake crop, because the coop is running medium grain (Calrose). So going against the grain drives up costs which is passed on to the consumer. Focusing on the grain size or “rare” variety of white rice that was harvested by the same Mexican guy driving the same harvester, loading it on to the same bank out wagon, and loaded into the same green trailers is silly and shows just how uneducated consumers are.

(At least with international rice, premium rice comes from different soils, waters, temp, altitude, or remoteness).

Attached: EB53626C-BAB5-49EF-AE07-B09EB7BE5126.jpg (1232x1162, 517K)

>rice thread
>suddenly angry rice farm employee rages at strangers for having the gall to purchase a different kind of rice than he picked that morning
well, this is certainly a break from the norm

Attached: 1350029702177.jpg (776x602, 98K)

Obviously no one meant the same field intermixed. Same place as in 'same climate' as in county or state in some cases.

I'm not spending the hour staring at it, prep and cook time is only 15 minutes max. The rest of the time you don't have to worry about it and it's worth the effort lazefag.

This. All you do is rinse it off for a minute or so, throw it 1 part rice 2 parts water into a pot, heat until boil then cover and reduce heat. 10-12 minutes later it's done.
Shit is the simplest thing around.

i do but only because i want the seeds to be separate when i eat it

And that’s what they want you to think...

>what is spic

White people have a pretty weird mental image of the real world. All blacks eat watermelons (therefore watermelon makes you poor), all asians eat rice (so eating rice makes you want to attack pearl harbor), and all spanish speaking people eat spicy food.

Also you can't ever eat arugula or kale because that's for the liberals

>weeb gets so rustled that he spends five minutes taking a picture of his shitty weeb rice

LMAO

that's not how it's supposed to werk
rice collection and packaging is done with machines, at least in my third world eastern european cunt

great food

yes but like other user said it depends on what dish you cook for

ew how nasty, don't you have a spoon

it soaks any flavours you throw at it, it's delicious with tomato sauce

takes me about half an hour to fry mine

look at the date on the picture

>a white person posted that
>white people are all racist
>only whites do this
>only whites do that
Who is the real racist here.

How's it feel to be racist?

Why would they want to bomb Pearl Harbor? There are more japs in Hawaii than there are white people.

The rest is true though. Don't even act like it isn't.

I usually use Jasmine rice for the regular side of rice with Asian cooking. Washing allows it to clump together, so you can pick it up with chopsticks. I wash by hand using both swirl and finger method.

For sushi etc, I use calrose rice, and washing is essential.

For sticky rice it's 1 cup rice to 1 1/3 cup water.

Mushy gooey rice is never applicable.

creeps me out when someone on this shithole knows how to cook sushi rice.

Trial and error but I've mastered it now. Turns out better with my hours long stove top method than it ever did in my rice cooker, glad it broke.

time traveller

Don't talk about rice cookers here or you'll get jumped on. I don't know if you're just making glutinous rice or sushi rice, but do you fan your rice adding mirin on your rice if you're doing sushi?

based Chuan

>waah someone stereotyped me mommy make them stop
White people cannot into bantz either

Yes. Seasoning the rice is just as important.

Thats literally what spurred the post that youre responding to. Are you retarded or just illiterate?

>The Japanese do not export any of their rice.

Japan is exporting rice.
Last year, Japan exported 26.1 billion yen of rice.
The export value of Japan has been increasing year by year.

Attached: 米輸出.png (689x768, 137K)

>Eat a shit ton of Japanese short grain rice
>never once rinsed
A-am I gonna die?

It's just to remove starches, stops clumping and it's supposed to taste fresher or lighter I suppose. The starch won't kill you.

If yoiure doing this for the sole purpose of not having sticky rice, just make a pot of it and let it chill in the refrigerator for like an hour

this guy understands agriculture

Rate my rice

Attached: rice.gif (1800x1014, 1004K)

>not eating risotto

Attached: FB_IMG_1521384833983.jpg (720x720, 48K)

I'll wash it 3 or 4 times beforehand if I'm using a rice cooker, otherwise I'll wash it with some hot water in a strainer after cooking it.

Pearl Harbor = The Residential Hub of Hawaii responsible for 98% of the population in 1941.