/rum/

I want to learn more about rum. What are good rums beyond the mainstream Captain Morgan, Havana Club, etc?

Attached: rum_lam1.jpg (540x720, 33K)

it got that nice smoky favlour and tastes like a good rum you feel me
if you want i can give you the brand name you want it?

inb4 meme rums. ageing makes no difference at all.

>Immediately starts with "aging is meaningless"
So much for no memes

Smith and cross is my go to rum

Thanks for the recommendation, this one looks good. Do you think this is more of a sip-by-itself rum or better in a cocktail?

Plantation and diplomatico are great

Kraken is my favourite. It's smooth

Attached: 659472_a_the-kraken-black-spiced-rum.jpg (385x400, 51K)

Best rum

Attached: cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpg (960x1280, 91K)

Is it a meme?

Attached: bottle-shot-gunpowder.jpg (1000x1278, 64K)

>implying there's anything better

Attached: old-mr-boston-dark-rum.jpg (400x400, 23K)

Mount Gay is pretty fucking good.

Pussers is top shelf, like a smooth aged whisky. Really good booze,not so much flavour

But I like Dark Rum, Old Monk, Hercules etc. Cheap, plenty of flavour, medium smooth alcohol.

Coruba, ok not as often as above

Goslings, not so much, good aroma but terrible booze taste

Terrible tier bacardis, lambs captain morgan etc

I prefer central American to Caribbean rums. Flor de Cana from Nicaragua especially. You can get handles of the four year aged for like twenty dollars in Texas and it's good for everything: fruity drinks, Cuba Libres, on ice or neat. The best I've had is Ron zacapa centenario from Guatemala, aged 23 years.

>aged meme

It's true that a lot of the white rums are also good. Puerto Rico has legal standards (like bourbon does) so you can't go wrong with Castillo despite how cheap it is. Appleton was my gateway rum in 2004 but it has shitty quality control.

this is the best here

Attached: 44dafab6-6dfa-43ae-80f8-b44bd7092994..jpg (380x380, 21K)

I'm fond of Diplomatico and Ron Centenario myself. Also like the 1671 from Captain Morgan. It's "limited edition" but I haven't had trouble finding it.

>Ron Centenario
Costa Rican, right? I drank bunch of that whilst there but honestly the guarro was so much cheaper and adequate didn't have as much as I should have. If I recall correctly it's on the sweet side but smooth af.

Navy Rum is the only kind to drink. I like making Grog with it. This is a historically correct recipe dating back to the height of the Royal Navy. It was devised as a way to get sailors to drink lime juice to avoid scurvy, but it's actually tasty AF. Historically Sailors got 1/2 pint of rum total every day. This was divided into two 1/4 pint rations a day. You can scale this recipe to reflect this.

Classic Navy Grog:
1 part lime juice
2 parts demerara brown sugar
3-4 parts Navy Rum (Lambs and Pussers are the best, get 151 for the most authentic experience)
8 parts hot water

Combine all ingredients in a mug and stir until sugar is dissolved. Put Master and Commander on the TV, and Enjoy.

Attached: master-and-commander.jpg (830x585, 59K)

Alcohol rations long predate the issuance of lime juice to sailors

Yes, but once lime came around, mixing it with rum made sense as a way to get the sailors to drink it.

I don't think I said anywhere that rum was issued because of limes.

To be fair Rum was a primarily British ration. Rum was used mostly because the plantation owners in the West Indies convinced the navy to buy their product, leading to lucrative contracts. When available the Navy actually preferred issuing beer, but it had a shorter life than Rum. In the East Indies Arrack was issued, as it was regionally available. Brandy was also issued.

OP here. Thanks for all the great recommendations, this certainly gives me a lot to consider and I look forward to trying these. his is an interesting recipe.
This is interesting. I would be interested in learning about other cocktail recipes or other recipes for food/drink involving rum.

Zaya 12 year is a really good rum.

Ignore this pleb , Kraken is sugary candy shit designed for manchildren.

Attached: 152360_0_1_1[1].jpg (800x1200, 63K)

i actually like Bacardi Gold for sipping. what higher-tier rums should i try?

Kraken is a good mixer for Stormys and Storm Wall Breach.

>rum
It's a poison that will destroy your liver and give you cancer. It will also make you delirious and drinking too much at one time will kill you.

Seeing a lot of positives here, but are there any downsides?

I like the cut of your jib.

no joke, kraken made me gay for like 4 months in 2011.

This is by far the best rum I've ever had. I can't understand why bundaberg don't sell anything outside of Australia, their rums are legendary.

Attached: unnamed.png (273x539, 148K)

I had that stuff in Singapore and wasn't particularly impressed, given how much it cost

Then again a bottle of Tiger is like $16 USD in Singapore so maybe you guys don't pay much for bundenburg in Australia

how do ya'll find American (i.e made in Puerto Rico) Havana club?

Any rum made in venezuela is god tier

Santa teresa, cacique, diplomatico, carupano

This guy is right
>t. knower

A nice sipping daark rum is Zacapa

I just got some rum to try today, nothing special, a small bottle of dark rum. It just tastes like almost every other drink I try, almost identical to Scotch.

Is this just me having shit taste?

More information required, although being unable to distinguish rum and scotch is a very bad sign for your tastebuds.

This is very good stuff for the money.
"Barbancourt is made directly from sugar cane juice rather than the sugar cane by-product molasses. This is similar to the rhum agricole of Martinique, which is strictly controlled by law. Fermenting fresh sugar cane juice provides a more flavorful product."

Almost like cognac.

Attached: 5e4655df12ecea478d3bb30e66fbff7a.jpg (736x920, 80K)

i fucking love this stuff

Attached: rum_woo8.jpg (900x1200, 219K)

This. Particularly Santa Teresa.

>Kraken is my favourite. It's smooth
Kraken is an unknown origin rum blend to which coloring, flavoring, and fake aging is added. It's by no means not utterly smooth and delicious, however, but it's kind of a known thing that it isn't specially made and has no historical island nature associated with it, just simply good marketing and science.
Little does most rum drinkers know though, that it is actually more the norm that rum is produced with offshore sugarcane and distilling like that and simply bottled and branded after import. It's commonplace now.

Barbados and Hispanola, are the exceptions, of course, but, if you just accept that as a horrible secret you now know to be fact, just enjoy what tastes good to you and most importantly is accessible to you. In the US, the availability among those not actually traveling to the Caribbean is way way up thanks to direct importers like Total Wine. Read rankings on the shelf or check websites for awards rankings, is just one place to start. As a traveler and S. Floridian, I have my favorites, and none of them are white rum, which I never buy.

I love Barbancourt as my #1. I have felt that way for 30 years, as a matter of fact. In my regular rotation it's the darkest and most aged of most brands. I equally like Flor de Cana, Appleton Estate, Mount Gay, Zacapa. There are subtle differences in flavors from previously used casks in some brands, touches of sherry or cognac, or some of the more caramelly or fruity or spicy scents of the molasses from aging. They're all good. This is a thing with dark rum, as it is almost always smooth and flavorful. Go a little less aged for mixed drink fruity cocktails, but still stick with dark.

>Almost like cognac.
it's like drinking a fucking snickers bar.

Your frame of reference makes me think your palate is limited, inexperienced or otherwise worthless.

If you're really interested, pick up a book like Smuggler's Cove by Martin Cate.
I personally like Rhum Barbancourt, the 3 star. It's grassy, sweet, and complex. My secondary would probably be Mount Gay Eclipse. I'm not a fan of Sailor Jerry or Captain Morgan (they taste like bubblegum) or spiced rums. If you want a cheap blended, go with Gosling's Black Seal. For a nice molasses funk, go with Meyer's Dark.

Old Grogham required tars to mix their rum with water. Water aboard ship was stagnant, disgusting crap, so they added lime juice to cut the flavor (limes were ubiquitous in the caribbean) and sugar to cut the lime. This is why we get the name "grog". It was a necessity, not a desire.

my afrocentric gentleman

Sip some nice, dark rum as accompaniment to a piece of Valrhona chocolate.

Thanks for the book recommendation, this looks right up my alley

I've had regular bundy, but I didn't really get into the smoky/rubber note, which I've heard is their DNA. If I don't like that, should I bother with this?

/thread

Attached: Screenshot_20180318-161742.png (1080x2220, 446K)

Haven’t tried drinking rum yet except one of those bacardi rums which i can imagine is probably shit tier and no good indicator of what good rum tastes like.

How is the taste compared to whisky like? I’m thinking of getting into rum a bit but wondering if i should just stick to my whisky or not

OP here, I've made a purchase. I was split between Barbancourt, Cacique and Wood's, but I've ultimately decided on Wood's based mainly on the price. It seems to have a lot of praise like the other two but I don't want to spend a lot on my first proper rum. Of course, if I enjoy Wood's I think I'll try Barbancourt next. Thanks again for the great recommendations anons, this has been a pretty friendly and helpful thread.

How does Don Papa rum rank?

google agricultural rum and learn

if it's made with juice it's not like it's agricole rhum, it's agricole rhum

out of the way you pleb scum

Attached: diplomatico-reserva-exclusiva-12-yo-venezuelan-rum-70cl-40-abv_1.jpg (1000x1000, 132K)

Try this. Its the best for its price. Diplomatica reservia special. Gonna pour myself a glass now.

Attached: rum_dip1 (1).jpg (900x1200, 88K)

Lol we used to drink jagertea, tea mixed with spices and stroh rum. Its so strong.

My man, you got the taste, also, we posted the same drink. Cheers!

you two have to kiss

Are Plantation rums any good?
What's the difference between Spanish and British style rums?

Ron Centenary of may be the smoothest sipping rum at the best price. Good as mixer too.

Centenario. Sorry.

Did exactly that with a few beers thrown in literally all night until about 9am then tried to go skiing in Kitzbühel. It was insanely cold and we were very very drunk. We didn't last long.