Are table manners getting worse?

Are table manners getting worse?

Attached: table manners.jpg (2560x1440, 577K)

>go out for dinner with friends
>one of them wears a toque at the table
>two of them keep taking out their phones
>collectively we tip $3
Yeah it's pretty bad out there.

I don't get it, if that's supposed to be a list of things you shouldn't do, why are the first four things there?

Are those "very important" items meant to be things Brits are told not to do in the US?

>eat smelly food
Ahh yes, I'll have the baked potato with salt. No butter or parsley, other people might detect it.

That section is pretty clearly for public transport. Note how it says "train" on the side.

literally never gone out to dinner or on a date where i was the only person with my elbows off the fucking table
everything in this pic was embedded into me as a child in the south. i've been to millionaire real estate asian families houses where they didn't have fucking social etiquette taught to them, it's disgusting

>slave state hayseed doesn't realize different countries have different systems of table manners
You definitely made an ass of yourself in myriad ways and they were too polite to say anything

Ahh, I thought it meant train yourselves to not to talk loudly, push in towards the table, eat smelly foods, or somehow create elderly people.

they pushed too far with what was considered "proper" by making it something ridiculous
there were so many arbitrary rules for sitting at a table, and they only served for people to act elitist for their proper table sitting education

how can you expect actual rules to be enforceable when you make up all those bullshit ones
>you're eating wrong, you're supposed to have the fork in your left hand
how about you fuck off with that shit?

>queueing

Eh. Elbows on the table isn't an issue these days.
Also where can I get the video of this cutie teaching me how to eat in public?

FACT: your level of table manners are proportional to the amount of times you spend eating dinner with your family. When was the last time you ate at the table with mam and pa?

Everything to do with polite behavior is on the decline. If you're polite, it's considered a sign of weakness so everyone acts like an asshole in public at all times now. That's why I only go out in public when it's an absolute requirement and always pack a handgun. The US is basically like living in a free-for-all South American prison nowadays.

>The US is basically like living in a free-for-all South American prison nowadays.
Foreigners be warned, this man is full of shit. It's only like this in crime-ridden inner cities and even then it's not that bad.

I just got back a few weeks ago from New Orleans on vacation, everyone was super nice and courteous, and not just in establishments...in the streets too. It's important to note that I am the whitest person on the planet.

>Foreigners be warned, this man is full of shit.
Bullshit! If it wasn't for the internationsl political and economic repercussions most 1st world countries would have issued travel advisories and warnings for many areas of the US.

Re-read my post. Don't summarize the US as decayed inner-city. If it wasn't for the national/international political and economic repercussions we'd probably go full Escape From New York on areas like Detroit, New Orleans, St Louis, Rockford, and Chicago.

Went to this ethnic "soup shop" where these white kids eat good foods. Well, never again. I couldn't hear myself think from all the fuckers slurping all the time. Made me nauseous. When I asked a dumb millennial next to me to cut it out, she eye rollled and said "you're suppose toooooo" with so much fucking attitude. It disgusted me so much I left without tipping.

When I was a kid I used to shout at people if they spoke with a full mouth

>this man is full of shit.
no shit
People on Veeky Forums don't get out of their houses, all they know about society is from social media and sensationalist news.

Whats a french leave and hwo do i do it

>being polite, it's considered a sign of weakness
>packs a handgun
you are an inner city shitskin. living in a city must be hell on earth.

A decade ago.
I’m not a fucking man child that lives at home still

I’ll be honest, I have a terrible back so I have my elbows on the table frequently.
Also taking out a phone in the right context is fine. I google shit that my table mates and i are discussing, but I put it away once that’s done and has contributed to the conversation. Mother fucks that leave the phone on the table like their just waiting for it to vibrate is not cool.

Attached: 72EC9DCA-60A5-4036-8003-49A4D6434B68.jpg (888x1024, 80K)

What if someone eats with their family every day, but their family has no manners either?

Only the Sith deal in absolutes.

>not having elbows on table
beta

>admits US is decayed prisonscape
>d-don't try to say many parts of the US are a decayed hellhole we manufactured and advisories should be issued
Nice contradiction, /pol/tard, how about taking logic 101 at your community college where you can go into debt forever?

>confuses the cement prisons that few million live in with the other few hundred million people
>contradiction
You're the one having some serious problems with logic, and perspective.

>impolite
>not hold op

Blame the ching Chong nips for that they actually think slurping is proper and means the shit water with a fucking leaf in it is good. Personally I don't understand the point of soups. I have never had soup in my life, if I'm eating food I want food not a drink.

Who gives a shit? I can understand some of these like being loud, but things like 'elbows on the table' are so arbitrary. If my date is acting uninterested and I get a text, I'll pull my phone out fuck off.

>name dropping

Hands are superior to spoons.

/r/thathappened/

>reddit
You should go back

>elbows on table
My dad used to get on my case about that all the time. It just seems so arbitrary.

yes

>never eaten soup
You're subhuman.

I know mine are, but I’ve also kind of given up on life.

>you're not suppose to slurp gook soup

Taking in air with food helps you taste it. It's the same concept as inhaling while sipping wine or tea.

The asians have it right. Sorry about your outdated table manners. Now stop eating, the plates are going to be taken away because the king has finished. And stop using that fork with five tines, it looks too much like a hand. Civilized people only use ones with four.

Attached: Get Down On Your Knees And Tell Me You Love Me.gif (232x181, 1.13M)

Reminder youre not supposed to drink during a meal, Only before and after. I was taught this as a child. Learn some manners anglo

what's this image from?

>Are table manners getting worse?
How fucking DARE you, don't you know diversity is our strength?

this, most of the rules for utensils come from the fact that there was no stainless steel back then and using the wrong metal for the wrong food would lead to stained silver or chemical reactions that make the food taste eww

those hidden signals about what side your glass is on or what the angle between fork and knife are - nobody gives a fuck, except maybe in high-class restaurants, and even then I'd think its better to use words (especially if you are lefthanded, which would have gotten you burned at the stake in the good old times)

>food should stay on the plate or in your mouth and should only move in that one direction
>dont make unnecessary noises
thats fucking it all other "rules" are just gatekeeping to the secret club of people who have too much time to care about minor details

Without a doubt, and it's only going to get worse. The Chinese for example have ZERO table manners, at least the mainlanders (sorry Hong Kong). They, burp, fart and behave like animals at a table and fuck keeping your mouth closed with them. You eventually get used to it but they are fucking savages.

>BURPING IS A SIGN OF RESPECT AND THAT YOU'RE ENJOYING YOUR MEAL

Here you're a cunt, go fuck yourself.

Attached: 1520709388410.jpg (283x313, 19K)

lets see those titties, sweetcheeks

Leaving without saying anything to your host or party members

>Table manners
You're acting like lower-class peasants are expected to behave like nobles. There's no reason for tasteless brutes to emulate the upper class. They'll always be dogs.

you seem to compensate by gulping semen by the gallon every day, fag.

>he doesn't drink protein shakes

What's it like being a lanklet?

You haven't eaten dinner with your family in ten years.
You have bigger problems than an adult living at home.

>ameriniggers eat pizza with bare hands
>thinking they can talk about table manners

Savages.

Attached: 1494451904751.gif (400x296, 443K)

Attached: 1520479240931.png (1280x720, 1.63M)

go get some hot and sour soup right now you fucking scum

Death to american pig

It ain't the victorian age anymore.
Asian here, I just ate without elbows on the table because of the way we ate at the dinner table.
But why is that rude today anyways? If you have the room, fuck it if it's not at a fine dining place with 3+ forks, and knives with multiple cups.

>i've been to millionaire real estate asian families houses where they didn't have fucking social etiquette taught to them
Unless they're smacking or chewing with their mouths open or crowding you physically, there shouldn't be a problem because most traditional asians eat with chopsticks only so you don't need a lot of elbow room reserved for each person, it all depends on the person's level of comfort.

Phones would depend on the amount of people in your group. You can't expect everyone to not be a little introverted socially but still like to go out with people they know especially if a lot of the group don't have similar interests.

Slurping, that is a cultural thing. You can take it two ways: A) the soup/broth is so good that they can't wait to get it into their mouths and bellies
B) it's another way to cool it down
This method works for both drinking from the bowl and a spoon.

For eating food in confined spaces though, try to not eat food in general. Most places like trains even state to please not do that.

Why is having your elbows on the table rude if you're at a big table?

My room mates leave their phones in their pockets and don't start eating until I arrive at the table. They chew with their mouths closed and ask nicely to pass things around. Once we're off the table we shout "nigger, get some parm at the store and make sure it's the good kind you human trash". I got good mates and table manners with all of our families are good.

the rich had to cut off their elbows as payment to become rich
now they envoy the poor for still having elbows

i pulled this from r*ddt but the story i heard was about the same of not having clean arms/elbows.

basically the JEWS did this

Attached: jews in food.png (876x487, 59K)

I helped my Sister in Law plan her baby shower, and I literally did not get one, fuckign RSVP. at least 20 people showed up. All of her friends are fucking single mother ghetto rats. She kept stressing that there wouldn't be enough food, and I was like, well if they're hungry tell them they should have fucking RSVPd like civilized humans.

kys faggot

Attached: 1512151311373.png (600x600, 122K)

>eat smelly food
That's what mints are for, if I can't enjoy the stinkiest cheese from the French alps at dinner then when can I?

You're much more likely to knock over the drinking glass of the person sitting next to you if your elbows are on the table.

I work as a waiter, the amount of people i see eating with their mouths open, unnecessary amounts of slurping, and talking with their mouths full is disgusting.

i eat soup with a fork

Who the fuck has a glass that close to the edge of the table beyond an infant?

other way around for me, they are pigs

>hurr you didn't put it on Facebook. Who uses mail anymore. What's RSVP. What's wrong with me bringing five of my friends and their kids that none of you have ever met. Its a wedding you should be able to eat all you want and their should be an open bar.

I'm 28 straight white and male and I cannot wait for the end to come.

The manners haven't really changed, people just ignore them.

He said knock it over, not knock it off.

mexicans are notorious for slurping loudly and making noises with their mouths. at least the mexicans i've met which is a lot

>french leave

Had to look it up and it was precisely what I expected.
Kek.

>tfw do it all the fucking time

I just assume people don't notice me and fuck off. Maybe say bye to a few people I like but I'll be fucked if I'm doing the rounds shaking everyone's hand

>single mother

I'm not sure those types of people know how to think about the future.

yes americans are degenerate

ackshully, etiquette can vary depending on what cuisine you're scarfing down. Since you said ethnic "soup shop," I'd assume it's a place that follows some sort of Asian custom. And yes, that millennial (and also if you're not 39 or above, you're also a fucking millennial) was correct. You were literally suppose(sic) toooo(sic)

I visited family in south Atlanta and ate several times at local diners. The main impression I took away was that every single black person was literally yelling at the top of their lungs at other black people. It's like they have no inside voice.

Is this just a "deep south" phenomenon? Cause the restaurants are so fucking loud it's hard to enjoy a nice meal in the environment.

>deep south phenomenon
no it is a critical mass phenomenon. once enough of them congregate in a given area, they instantly go into yelling mode. no one knows exactly why this happens but you can view this for yourself by visiting any northern city ghetto. unfortunately there is just a fuck ton of niggers everywhere in the south so this effect is pronounced. tldr: niggers

t. ill mannered millennial

what the hell is a french leave?

A french-canadian

no that's a french leaf

>he forces what he thinks is "right" etiquette in situations that doesn't call for it because he only knows one set of table etiquette
how does it feel to be an uncultured etiquettelet?

If in America you follow American customs, numbnutts. That means no slurping.

Irish exit

It's an "ethnic soup shop" in america. Do you go stabbing your raw fish on rice with your chopsticks on a sushi place in america just because it's in america you absolute mongoloid?

I eat my sushi with a fork.

>eating raw fish on shitty acetic rice
$300 you filthy gaijin, you pay now!

a chopstick is just a single tined fork.

You're suppose to eat it like southern fried chicken, with your fingers.

fork is fine, and is actually better than stabbing food with your chopsticks

>Is this just a "deep south" phenomenon? Cause the restaurants are so fucking loud it's hard to enjoy a nice meal in the environment.

No. It's pretty common in Chicago, Detroit, etc. They just tend to yell at each other even when they're not bad or angry. It's just their "natural" tone of voice.

Manners are for the weak, the ubermensch makes their own rules.

I'm glad you didn't witness their propensity towards violence.

Actually 2 people did get into a fight outside olive garden, and we were threatened by a couple of black teenagers out on Peachtree street. One kid said "give me your watch" but in a semi joking/non joking manner that could have escalated badly. But I suppose you get that from any major US city, esp being asian.

There are none now. No one teaches their children how to behave at all. Everyone born after 1990 has the worst table manners ever. It is like watching wild animals eat. They eat with their hands, use electronics the entire time, get food everywhere, and talk with their mouths full. I don't even think any of them has seen anything other than plastic/paper cups, bowls, and plates.

From how this thread reads, this is rampant all over.

It is what autistic children do. They sort of disappear when you turn your head from them and everyone is like, "where did ___ go?"

I actually tend to forget dining etiquette is even a thing, so I'm going to guess yes.

>French leave is a departure from a location or event without informing others or without seeking approval
You guys don't ever do this... r-right?