Curry

Someone pleas tell me how to make a decent curry.
Whats the trick lads?
My homemade curries never taste like the ones you get in the indian

Attached: 1521048249553.jpg (640x640, 122K)

Other urls found in this thread:

myindiantaste.com/chicken-coconut-curry-recipe-chicken-with-coconut-milk-and-spices/
youtube.com/watch?v=TRytpPd9nSI
youtube.com/watch?v=sWsKBODMCAA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Japanese curry is superior.

Attached: 41ybjZ4G01L.jpg (443x500, 24K)

Use more spices

Ghee

What seems to be the problem? Is it lacking flavour? Or is there something missing?
Fuck off weeb

Maybe start by describing how you make curry? Like which curry are we even talking about here? I always use plenty of onion, turmeric, chili

they honestly are inferior to indian curries, no offence to japan though

You're off to a good start with these. Also time is a factor. They simmer that shit for ever. And don't use garlic.

I Just use schwartz curry powder and tomatos with whatever meat and vegetables I have.

I want my curries to taste good, and they're missing whatever makes the fastfood curries nice. I'd love to make a vindaloo or Jalfrizzi

Indian restaurants use a fuck load of dairy: heavy cream, whole milk, ghee, butter.

Uhm, yogurt?

Chicken thighs, bone in. Turmeric. Cloves. A bit of coffee for depth in tomato-based ones. Coconut milk. AND DON'T TRY TO HEALTHIFY IT. Sadly, a good curry is a baaaaaad curry.

That too. But the point is, if you want to perfectly replicate Indian restaurant cooking, you'll probably have to use more dairy then you think you'll need.

Coconut milk is healthifying it, you beaner.

Fry your spices first in a dry pan no oil for 30 seconds or so stirring until they are fragrant, then add onions & garlic, then add everything else and slow cook, brown your meat first too for a few mins, best to use use a fatty cut such as lamb neck or duck.

Precook your meat.
Use gharabi/onion base gravy.
Blend a mixed powder.
Use a lot of oil, then half as much again.

Cooking takeaway style curry is all about method.

whole cumin seeds, powdered tumeric, cinnamon, nutmeg, whole mustard seeds are a good start once dry fried crush them in a pestle & mortar, then re-add to pan, worlds apart from using standard 'curry powder'.

Coconut milk has no nutritional value and is high in saturated fats.

jap curry is good, but i don't think it's better

I am make this tomorrow OP
myindiantaste.com/chicken-coconut-curry-recipe-chicken-with-coconut-milk-and-spices/

Why not just use cream?

Google BIR curry method.

And get ready to do some groundwork.

I got a recipe off one of my asian friends that's pretty good.

cube a chicken breast
dice an onion
get some veggies (I use carrots and potatoes)
put some oil in your saucepan and cook up the onions.
add your chicken and cook it
add a can of coconut milk, a couple tbsps of curry powder, and your veggies
simmer for 10-20 mins
add some some hoisin, soy, and oyster sauce to taste.

Coconut milk has a pleasant flavor and the consistency is different than cream.

You can masturbate to this as well as learning from it:

youtube.com/watch?v=TRytpPd9nSI

Does it have an Indian DADDY? I didn't click the link.

*thai curry

DONT wash your hand after going poopoo

This The reason it tastes richer from a restaurant is because it has pureed onions, garlic and ginger throughout the sauce.

You need to create this base sauce of onions garlic and ginger. Read the curry secret by Kris dhillon it explains everything

>
>I Just use schwartz curry powder and tomatos with whatever meat and vegetables I have.
Might want to use the curry powder as a start, but supplement some fresher aspect you want to highlight. Add a gnob of ginger, some garlic cloves, and suate that curry powder in oil all together while you sweat some onions or peppers, and then maybe enhance the curry powder with _more_ of a spice, like a pinch of cloves, or cardamom. Any spices that are pricey, you can already assume will be the smallest percentage of that curry powder blend you purchased. If you do this often, it is indeed better to buy separate spices.

>I want my curries to taste good, and they're missing whatever makes the fastfood curries nice. I'd love to make a vindaloo or Jalfrizzi
I wouldn't be entirely positive fast food isn't using boxed mixes. There's a reason the recipes seem nearly identical without personal chef preferences.
Look at Madpur Jaffrey videos! She'll show you the steps of pasting and sauteing those spices. She's the masterchef of this cuisine. Vindaloos _should_ be pork as is traditional for the original recipe before the muslims ruled that region and more traders (portugese). Pork goes so well with tangy vinegars best, though beef is okay too pickled. Try making it from cubed pork loin, which you cube and marinate. To drippings saute onions, peppers, and I like some hard winter squash in there. If you want it really good...you should add tamarind for nicer sour-ness.
youtube.com/watch?v=sWsKBODMCAA

Jalfrezi, ehh, it's an alright dish. It's not fancy.It's really just butter-fried leftover pot roast&potatoes, kind of a roast beef hash, plus a load of cumin. Could try the Sharwoods simmer sauce. But before you dump in the sauce, nicely dust your beef, lamb or chicken with flour, and brown on all sides. Lower heat, simmer with your sauce. Finish up with a good amount of cilantro, lemon zest, sliced red or green chilies, to make it pop.

I swear I have the same issue with Indian curries specifically. I'll follow old punjabi ladies on YouTube step for step - whole spices in ghee, frying off dried spices, seasoning with further spices at the end - and they just lack a certain 'richness'.
The only Indian curries I can make reliably well are the 'dry' lamb keema and also gobi, so you might look there too.

this

it's not bad but literally every other cuisine with curries are better

I'm sorry you're so stupid.

>and don't use garlic
Lmao

>chicken thigh chopped small and tossed in cinnamon and ground cardamom
>brown in ghee, set aside and add sliced onions, cook til soft
>add a tbs each of minced garlic, ginger, turmeric and lemongrass, cook for a minute
>add a couple tbs of tomato paste along with 2 tbs of curry powder, sweet paprika, black pepper, and salt and cook for another minute until everything clumps together
>add 2 cups or more of chicken broth, add chicken back in and simmer until thickened
>add a bag of frozen peas, when cooked through add half a can of coconut milk and garam masala to taste
>juice from half a lime at the very end

Don't use garlic? The fuck'sa matter with you