What are some of chef john's best recipes...

what are some of chef john's best recipes? made dinner for my family using his italian meatball recipe and i was told they were pretty good

Attached: chef john.jpg (1024x682, 160K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wJtEmLCtfVQ
youtube.com/watch?v=WxysE5M2GOw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Peanut butter cookies.

His Spätzle are god tier. I've had it in actual authentic restaurants in Austria, and they're not as good as the shit I make with his recipe.

I made his cider glazed pork chops and new york cheesecake for some friends last year and they really liked it. At least, that's what they told me.

I made his yogurt paprika chicken and it came out great. It was with one of my chickens, so they tend to be more tough since they're walking around all day. The yogurt marinade tenderized everything and kept it moist. I've done this with rabbit too and it works out well.

the Goulash was great.
and the no flour decedent chocolate cake
and the double cooked potatoes
and the spicy aloli

Spicy Thai Basil Chicken
It tasted 100x times better than I thought it would.

Spicy italian sausage and white bean chili. I made it a few weeks ago based on his recipe.
Came out really well, I'll definitely make it again some time.

Attached: Sausage and white bean chili.jpg (2024x1518, 1.33M)

His Syracuse salt potatos recipes is excellent for watching football games with others. His torrone recipe was expensive and involved a lot of time and effort, but it was great. I honestly don't think I've ever had a negative experience making or eating one of his recipes.

I made his Irish shepherd's pie - pretty good desu

His pomegranate molasses lamb roast was great, I use that marinade on anything lamb and/or pork now!

>His garlic parm hot wings are really good, the par-boiling makes them so fuckkin tender and flavorful.
>The Jamaican Jerk wings are great too.
>Chicken-parm casserole is bretty gud

Made the nipples of Venus, spicy caramel chicken, sticky glazed pork chops, pad krapow gai, chicken tikka masala, taziki sauce, and some others.

Spicy caramel chicken in particular is crazy delicious. The pad krapow gai is insane tasty too. The tikka I made a double batch and ate for two weeks.

Foodwishes is my go to if I want to make anything I check there first. He's not very elaborate but is uncompromising on some shitty shortcuts that people often take. Great editing, focus on the food rather than a vanity project like other food stars.

His Hungarian goulash is probably my favourite recipe of his that I've tried.

Yeah that one is so good it's insane. I buy a heap of Thai basil from the azn market and make a big batch every so often.

The Nashville hot chicken he does has a buttermilk marinade that makes it stupid moist and tender despite it being fried chicken.

His red beans and rice is one of my favorites.

My favorite recipe of his by far:

youtube.com/watch?v=wJtEmLCtfVQ

Gotta say it's his Peposo recipe. I love red meat and red wine and black pepper, this is those 3 things in perfect harmony. I've made it both the long way and in a pressure cooker, either way it comes out amazing. Not a big fan of polenta though, I just serve it with crusty bread and some greens.

His shakshuka's the best one I've tried so far. Also I love his croissant recipe, I never thought I'd be good at them or be able to make them quickly

It's simple, but his soft hard boil egg recipe.

I guess maybe it's something you learn in culinary school or on the line, but I've never done those things so I never learned. Going from having hard hard boiled eggs and hating them all my life to suddenly realizing how delicious perfectly steamed eggs are and how easy to make once you master the timing is such a blessing.

9min gives me fully cooked but still a little custardy yoke. 7.5min gives me molten yoke goo. So simple but without someone showing you how not likely something you'll ever master.

His flatbread recipe is great. Even though it's just flour, water and salt baked in a pan, it's shown me how you can have some great bread in less than 10 minutes total. It's nice to quickly just whip up a fresh pita when I'm hungry, without having to wait for my oven to heat up.

Beef & Guinness stew
is so fucking good

There's a pasty place near me that scandalized Britain for a bit, so I went there and their pasties weren't as good as the ones I made from Chef John's recipes.

I'm going back for the sausage rolls, though.

His sentence pronunciation is so fucking annoying.

don't worry mate, you'll grow to love his pronunciation

His oven baked wing technique is amazing. The easy honey sriracha sauce he makes is pretty tasty as well

Attached: hswings.jpg (1224x1632, 507K)

His honey glazed ham recipe is awesome as well. Genius putting the anise and cloves and shit into the steaming liquid

Attached: image1(1) - Copy.jpg (1632x1224, 535K)

Sopa De ajo has been working really, really well for me
Chicken and sausage orzo is better with farfalle and without chicken but it's a very solid technique video
Same for billionaires Frank's and beans

agreed but the videos are still very good

I love his narration style. His shakshouka is great, and so is his spanish garlic soup, green goddess dressing, and clotted cream.

i know there is no point to a sticky but a Veeky Forums list of essential recipes would be cool, especially with this guy having over a thousand videos

One does not pronounce sentences.

His pasta fagioli has worked it's way into my rotation, it's fast and very tasty. Honestly every recipe of his that i've tried has been good.

>Chicken and sausage orzo

His ultimate pasta-simmered-in-broth recipe is this.

youtube.com/watch?v=WxysE5M2GOw

He is usually great, but his bolognese sauce video is crap. You can't cook ground meat for as long as he does without it becoming mush. The flavour of the mirepoix is lost that way too

I'm on the other side, I hate bolognese where the meat has a bite to it. I want the meat and sauce to melt into one.

You want flavourless salty mush?

It's not flavorless and it's not really mushy either. It's actually a deeper flavor in my opinion. And I prefer when the meat and sauce are one as opposed to chunks of ground beef in tomato sauce. I don't recall how long Chef John said to cook it but my mom is Italian (not italian american) and she has always simmered it for 2-3 hours at least. Same for my relatives in Italy. If you want a meat sauce with more bite, a ragu is the better option I reckon.

Do you have a link to a good ragu recipe?

Chennai Chicken Wings

Check with Chef John.

I saw some of his older vids, and he's not doing it so bad there. I think it's an effect caused by overexposure to cayenne.

I'm making shepherd's pie tonight and I don't know whether to listen to John or Ramsay

I made his Peruvian turkey for thanksgiving and it was pretty good, but I tried the same rub on some rotisserie chicken after and liked it better. I guess that's what the recipe started as so no real surprise.

Chef John's recipe is great, but he says to put cream cheese in the mashed potatoes for some weird reason. I don't think that bit is necessary at all.

I don't cook. I don't even like food. I only watch his videos to hear his quirky voice make those oddly timed up bends.

The pasta salad he makes is really good. I've taken it to several BBQs and gotten rave reviews. It's not drenched in sauce but the noodles are coated and it has a nice heat to it. Highly recommended.

His spaghetti carbonara is good and has the benefit of actually being the correct way to make carbonara.

His stroganoff is legit, I never make enough of that shit and I'm always disappointed there's not more.

I made a ton of the chicken tikka too. It's a great recipe to double up and enjoy all week.

Attached: IMG_20171105_161850.jpg (4160x3120, 3.32M)

Agreed. They don't need it. I actually think his recipe is a decent base but it's definitely not his best one. I recently made his sticky garlic pork chops and besides needing a bit of a cut in the sugar department it made some incredibly fucking tender porkchops.

Dude I love your plates and shit. Brand?

The brand is Sango. I got them at either Target or Bed Bath and Beyond years ago. Nothing fancy, I think the set cost like $40-50.

i keep seeing this peanut stew he made pop up, i've never watched it but i make west african peanut stew sometimes. the recipe i use is perfect so i have no interest in it, but maybe give it a shot if you've skipped it before.

also i've been making refried beans myself since watching his refried bean video, simple stuff, a little time consuming, but worth it.

Thanks, broski.

Why is there too much gravy?

Second that recipe, had great success with serving it to friends.

Because like Chef John I too just kept scooping more and more on. Also it's just how I like my curry. I mix it all together until the rice blends with the sauce and is held in suspension. I do the same with Thai curry, just a preference of mine. You don't have to serve it with as much if you don't like.

I made those refried beans of his for a family in Mexico when I was traveling there. Blew them away, like anywhere else I guess most people just buy shit at the store rather than make it.

he has really nice eyes

I made his italian sausage ragu and it was fucking amazing. Real simple too.

His mustard chicken thighs are pretty good, and super convenient

Pizza sauce and sourdough (including starter) were great. The Torrone almost turned out well. He fucked up by saying you can use ANY rice paper when in reality it has to be ultra-thin. It did taste amazing though, but was also a pain in the ass to make.

Honestly, my dumbed-down advice that could fit into a Veeky Forums sticky would be to check Serious Eats and America's test kitchen for some basic tools, and to just marathon all of Good Eats and use Food Wishes as a basic repository of information. Any dipshit with an internet connection, a kitchen, and a couple hundred bucks to buy some basic tools could be a decent cook in a couple of months if they did this. Problem with stickies in Veeky Forums is that if you recommend a pan, knife, standard pantry ingredients, or recipes, you're gonna get shitposters and spergs like the autists who argue over metallurgy for knives, cast iron evangelists, and bullshit CoastieVs.Flyover/ AmericaVs.Europe/VeganVs.Edgy conservative whining over recipes and ingredients.

Attached: 1518913940491.jpg (807x659, 66K)

>metallurgy of knives is unimportant

Disgusting

I want to have a chef john date night where I cook myself a nice romantic 6 course meal exclusively of chef john recipes.

What should I have for my:
>appetizer
>soup
>fish
>salad
>main course (both the meat & side)
>dessert

I'm taking all suggestions.

Attached: 1520464926011.jpg (649x676, 99K)

Mustard Grill Porkchops
Strawberry Shortcakes
Cider Pork
Sorta-Porchetta
Toasted Corn Salad
Chicken and Mushroom Enchiladas
Tamale Pie
One Pot Chicken & Sausage Orzo
CHEF JOHN'S BREAKFAST SAUSAGES

DESU senpai, I almost only make Chef John dinners.

It's somewhat important. It's one of the factors that goes into what makes a decent knife, but you're just proving my point.

>doesn't understand the braise

>has any madman done it?
>what was he thinking?
>what if it’s actually tasty

Attached: 984E89BD-5825-4FD2-A5DA-CB3072E94967.jpg (1280x720, 117K)

I know people made it and tweeted it at him, but I don't know if any Veeky Forumss tried it. I assume it would taste pretty much like any other meatloaf. Don't compact it too much and with a good sauce it would probably be tasty.

>In turned myself into a meatloaf morty