Where do you guys get your recipes from?

Where do you guys get your recipes from?

Attached: allrecipes.png (475x377, 51K)

I get most of my recipes from BOFA

Cookbooks mostly.

if it's regional/cultural i look online/the library for older cookbooks and take bits and pieces from each to keep it traditional but not shit

on the fly i look for any website that isn't allrecipes and skip the 50-paragraph intro that whatever dumb roastie wrote on her blog and adjust what i need to

I only use Allrecipes for Chef John's recipes. Otherwise I check Serious Eats, Bon Appetite, or Epicurious.

Well, recently I've been getting them from my grandmother's recipe collection since she passed last year. She had an entire section on hot dog recipes, who does that?

Attached: IMG_1513.jpg (3264x2448, 1.3M)

My grandmother gave me a biscuit recipe from her childhood. No ingredient amounts, no temperatures, no times, just:
>flour
>water
>lard
>baking powder

Granted, she's also an 85 year old woman who likes to spend her birthday at Dollar Tree.

My grandmother was a baker mostly, and fastidious about everything she did. every recipe she didn't clip out of a magazine or save from something else was typed up herself on index cards with a typewriter. Several of them very are clearly dated, but they're all reproducible, at least.

Attached: IMG_1482.jpg (3264x2448, 1.7M)

Once you understand the science involved you don't really need to follow recipes anymore

WHAT IS BOFA!?

bofa my nuts!

lol

>makes shit mods to the recipe
>blames the recipe

google for the most part

Attached: 1493801742289.jpg (623x768, 194K)

I see this happen A LOT on recipe sites. For some reason, they change half the ingredients and then complain that it sucks.

GialloZafferano is very extensive and useful. I end to use it.

I agree, but sometimes having some kind of guideline or reference is nice.

When I see a dish I want to try and make I look at a bunch of recipes in books and on the Internet and then from that figure out what I want to do

My mother does this. She'll have no idea how to cook something, but feels like it should taste a certain way so she riffs it and it turns into a disaster. It's never her fault, the recipe 'isn't flexible enough'.

I don't really talk to her much any more.

saveur.com and that's only when I do something I've never done...but it has good stuff. I'm not advocating it...but it worth a look if you want to try some new shit.

>Where do you guys get your recipes from?
southern living
epicurious (gourmet magazine and bon apetit archives are there, carefully curated by Gourmets originally best editors Ruth Reichl or Sara Molton types)
martha stewart

^^ these three are the _only_ completely tested recipe sources, fully tested fully vetted recipes. If you are a newb cook, without the ability to spot some usual and standard methods, ratios of ingredients and other bullshit you find elsewhere, it wouldn't be a bad idea to use these as your baseline search, and then read a few more and compare.

I never use allrecipes. It's just a web crawler that scans websites, and just reposts blogs and other shit ideas from home cooks. Think untested. It's a rare day I'll find what I want there and only there. Typically some ethnic thing. For some ethnic foods, thinking of that(!), knowing who the lauded historically accurate cookbook authorities are for that culture is useful. There is the Diana Kennedy of Mexico, the Madhur Jaffrey for India, Darina Allen for Ireland, etc...and once you know who the top authorities are? You can add their name to google searches, provided you don't own their stuff already. There are some shit producers of shill constantly churning out for deadline *cough* so avoid them. For the most part if James Beard liked them, worth a try. There are niche authors for small locales, like Lady Darling for the Bahamas or Steven Raichlen for all things BBQ.

> (OP)
>Well, recently I've been getting them from my grandmother's recipe collection since she passed last year. She had an entire section on hot dog recipes, who does that?
Those look tasty though, ROFL

I've got my grandma's recipe book too. What's cool is her handwriting :) I get nostalgic at Christmas and inspired to make dark fruitcake or green jello salad with cottage cheese.

I made that one specifically and it was. Could use a little longer cooking and maybe some extra cheese on top to melt. there are a bunch of others. one's for weiner chips, which is just slices hotdogs and onion rings fried in pancake batter. Don't get me wrong, they all look good I just found the divider labeled hot dogs in her little box of index cards amusing.

a couple summers age I went to a church for a free meal. As I was walking up to it I noticed a grill in the back. they made hot dogs. buy the time I got there the buns were gone so I had to use hamburger buns. which is fine with me. but they had this red sauce that wasn't ketchup and I have no Idea what could of been in it. did she have a mysterious hotdog sauce in those recipes? could you share some other recipes you found of hers.
wow Hot dog Surprises is innovative. Is it good?

I wonder if she often bought 2 for 1 packages of Hebrew National before you grandkids came over..
Maybe she was perfecting her recipes over the years to enter some national cookoff. Both of those seem pretty unique...
My grandmother had a small 8x6 three ring binder. It had a nice canning section with a lot of german and midwest european favorites, and a holidays Tab section, where she wrote out her usual shopping lists and menus. I had 7 aunts and uncles, so with all the grandkids, she had a major undertaking. She started baking pies and putting them into the deep freezer weeks ahead.

that recipe calls for chili sauce. I thought it might just mean hot sauce, but thee tablespoons is a lot of hot sauce. I went looking in the condiment aisle and there is in fact something simply called chili sauce. it smells like a slightly more vinegary ketchup and tastes somewhere between ketchup and cocktail sauce. I have to assume you had some rendition of it.
>Is it good?
see it wasn't bad. I honestly don't care for the chili sauce, it's just a bit too tart and acidic. it was a very strong note in the end result, ketchup probably would have blended with the rest better.

Attached: IMG_1526.jpg (2448x3264, 1.47M)

she didn't really, but when she was younger her and my grandfather apparently entertained a lot, and the neighborhood often got together. I imagine a lot of her recipes for things like this were for lunches, cookouts and parties back in the fifties. She also had a good number of drink recipes. Pic related is non-alcoholic but most of them are not.

Attached: IMG_1480.jpg (2448x3264, 1.43M)

your probably right about the chili sauce. I've seen it in the stores but never tried it. the sauce I tried looked home made and it was probably a home made version of it.

>when u splic the buns

look buddy you try not to make a typo on an index card with a typewriter and then when you do, see how much you care if you can still get the gist of it.

Also maybe drink a lot more than your grandkids would think years later.

Attached: IMG_1491.jpg (3264x2448, 1.48M)

>over

Attached: IMG_1492.jpg (3264x2448, 1.13M)

I make threads asking for them. So far, I have very few recipes, and so my guests do not enjoy my cooking. I figure in a few years of making these threads, I will write a cookbook with the best ones.
>pic related

Attached: OurStorySoFar.png (1904x1454, 879K)

1929, Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms, Folio Society 2008, p. 20:
I had drunk much wine and afterward coffee and strega and I explained, winefully, how we did not do the things we wanted to do; we never did such things.

Grandma was drinking with the best!

ROFL. I would so go to a 24/7 potato pancake diner.

Make an archive of all your nana's cards

>coffee pasta
you. I like you.

I get mine from all over. old family cook books, old books from the early 1900s, mags, internet, newspaper. I'll share one for chocolate covered creams. this is from the family cookbook but it was most likely a mainstream recipe from the 70s. you can use what ever extract you like best. I've always liked raspberry or orange, and maple too. black walnut is excellent also.
fondant
5 cups sugar
1 cup Rich's non dairy creamer
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup butter
1/2 tsp cream of tartar

mix all in a heavy bottomed pot and cook to soft ball stage (237degrees) stirring occasionally

pour on to a large cookie sheet to cool completely to room temp

next is to "work" the fondant either use a putty knife and keep folding or put in a kitchen aid mixer with a dough hook. it will CHANGE. it will lose it's gloss and the texture will change completely after working it. it might take awhile if doing it buy hand (20-30 minutes)

after the change happens add some flavored extract and keep folding. taste it to make sure you added enough flavoring. sorry I don't have an amount to tell you. try a couple teaspoons first. and add some food coloring if you want the cream to be colored

then scoop and dip in melted chocolate. add a teaspoon of oil/lard to your chocolate to make it shine.

these are really tasty

maybe one day. a number of them like that one with multiple sides (she has a thumbprint cookie recipe that's two cards taped together with recipe on front and back) I made into PDFs so they're not super Veeky Forums friendly. I also only snapped pics of ones that immediately caught my attention. I'm thinking of scanning them and making them up all nice eventually to preserve her little box of recipes as it is. They're also not all neatly typed up. Pic related was the weirdest one I've seen in what I've gone through. I had to send a pic to my mom to figure out that second ingredient. for the record that's
>1oz Sherry
>1 dip egg nog icecream
>1/2 cup milk
>nutmeg
sherry eggnog float, I guess?

Attached: IMG_1497.jpg (3264x2448, 1.33M)

Post the pdfs then atleast senpai

dinotendies

Veeky Forums don't like PDFs much. as a fa/tg/uy I am disappoint.

Just upload them on a site and post the bin here

I had a hunch those were all the same guy

One other user contributed recently. Pic related was not me, but I am proud that someone joined in.

Attached: First Copycat.png (1341x278, 123K)

It's nice to see Veeky Forums develop memes that rise above the usual garbage we find in here

I come up with new ones everyday.

Attached: ignis.gif (540x401, 1.98M)

It's genuinely weird to break the anonymity in such a brief and way, especially since it's based entirely on trust and is completely meaningless. It's like two drops of water splashing out of the ocean, only to fall back in the next moment.

reddit etc.