Tfw fell for the Reuben meme

>tfw fell for the Reuben meme

Attached: A0E1B627-B260-423C-9E83-42745D14B596.jpg (410x410, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

marthastewart.com/317103/homemade-corned-beef-with-vegetables?amp
marthastewart.com/1090478/reuben?amp
seriouseats.com/amp/recipes/2016/12/homemade-fermented-sauerkraut-recipe.html
epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/russian-dressing-51182860
mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0311.htm#3
mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0514.htm#3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No, you fell for the "fell for the meme" meme. Reubens are based.

A real reuben is served open face, otherwise its just a corned beef sandwich.

This is also how I judge a dinner, if it does this propperly.

Yeah no.

this

found the retard

>dinner
>propperly
>incorrect Reuben assumptions
literally retarded
That Reuben is out of balance and should have less meat. Also, judging by the color of the bread and the texture of the cheese, that mountain of flesh is lukewarm at best.

Fuck is wrong with you. Ruebens are great

*What the fuck* is wrong with you.

Reubens are great but often poorly prepared. I haven't had a satisfying Reuben in 10 or 12 years. They're always lukewarm like ops or the bread is falling apart or not even rye. Or there's no sauerkraut because the restaurants chef doesn't like it. I have given up finding a good Reuben so I just make them myself.

Do you have a go-to recipe? I'm interested in making my own as well.

i like how american's idea of rye is still pretty much white bread

more like Jewben

That's not true but I did come across a brand like that years ago.
Reubens are an acquired taste because of the mix of pungent flavors.

Not him but I use Martha Stewarts recipe for corning the brisket and making the Russian dressing. I buy a good quality Emmenthaler cheese, make my own sauerkraut using a serious eats recipe and either make (if I have time) a rye bread or buy a a quality rye from a bakery. I'm pretty anal about my reubens because they're my favorite sandwich. The nice thing is you can assemble s bunch of them freeze, thaw and grill.

marthastewart.com/317103/homemade-corned-beef-with-vegetables?amp

marthastewart.com/1090478/reuben?amp

seriouseats.com/amp/recipes/2016/12/homemade-fermented-sauerkraut-recipe.html

Wow, thanks that was very helpful!

I wonder if Russian dressing is the original dressing and not Thousand Island.

They have pretty good Reubens at Jersey Mike's. Its not on the right type of bread though (on a white bun) but it comes out hot and theres a good ratio between meat-cheese-kraut-sauce.

Reubens are fucking amazing but I can see why someone wouldn't like them. The saltyness of the meat and sourness of the kraut can throw a lot of people off. A good Reuben can be a dish to die for though.

>implying Reubens are a meme
Reubens are top tasty and they always have been retard.

Attached: 1517854081718.png (2844x3152, 382K)

i take the side of open faced, though i know it's not the authentic reuben

Something suspicious with OP's Reuben. The meat looks tough and really thinly sliced. It might even be deli meat. Because I am not often in New York jewish style deli restaurants where I can trust the Rueben might possibly be made well, so I don't order it out often or I'd be disappointed too. I prefer when I make them at home, too, of course.

Shopping List:
Corned beef brisket cooked in pressure cooker or braised in roaster until graininess level of fall apart tenderness. Cooled. Sliced thickly against grain.
Fresh krispy kraut, the kind refrigerated in a glass jar and has caraway in it, not in the bag, drained and patted dry.
Swirl rye is fine, pumpernickel is fine. If you can slice it yourself, OP's bread is a little on the thin side.
Swiss cheese, two thick slices, one for each side of bread, a type of moisture barrier. I like lacey swiss but prefer kerrygold swiss and you want that aged funk of sharp swiss and will on purpose extend it past the bread crusts.
Russian dressing (I might mock up my own with mayo, chili sauce, horseradish, grated onion, etc). Here's a recipe:
epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/russian-dressing-51182860
I always have chili sauce on hand, because I can it :P If you don't have chili sauce, kick up your ketchup with allspice. You can omit the dressing from the sandwich and serve it on the side to add a bit, as you go bite by bite.

Start your sandwich in a lightly (don't overdo it) buttered skillet over low-medium heat. A really nice crust is wanted and that cheese needs to melt, so laying down both slices in the butter while you build your inside layers being messy in the pan is nice, and then fold them together once built. Patience, Grasshopper. Wait for the cheese to ooze out, and the bits of sauerkraut to brown with the cheese maybe even crisping up frizzled corned beef. Do not cover pan, let that steam get out!

Enjoy with pickled tomato, maybe oven-fries, cold eggy pickly potato salad

reubens are easy and top tasty so long as you can find good corned beef, or if ur a peasant, make it.

Attached: reuben.jpg (612x612, 128K)

You're probably the type of person that would prefer a chorizo or some other bland mexican dish.

First post best post.

>implying you cant like reubans and chorizos at the same time

fuck *reubens

how is a reuben a meme?

You just outed yourself, Redditor.

jersey mike's is garbage

Place called Refuge in the Bay Area makes a great Ruben. Dark rye, house made thick cut pastrami, and crisp slaw. I think the place was on DDD for fucks sake if that means anything.

As a jew this sandwich triggers me. It poses as authentic jewish food with a jewish sounding name but mixes meat and cheese together, which is unkosher. I have no problem that anons in thread who enjoy this sandwich but on the other hand it strikes me as a food catering to goyish tastes and just one more example of the death of jewish cuisine in america. naturally i'll get criticized of hypocrisy, bigotry etc. etc. but truth is jewish intermarriage is above 50% and in a few generations the community as i know it will be, for better or worse, be extinguished as a demographic group. this sandwich makes me feel nothing but sadness.

>meat and cheese together is unkosher
I thought kosher just means it didn't touch any pork
Why the fuck do religions have so many retarded ass rules ffs

this is a jewish free board

Well yeah no pork is probably the most important in the hierarchy of kosher eating. Most murrican Jews nowadays will eat meat and milk together and may not even know that this is a rule. It's only a more conservative tradition desu. And, yes, I realize it's retarded, but I'm sentimentally attached to tradition and Jewish cuisine is what it is because they were working within these arbitrary rules (though it's heavily based off eastern european cuisine desu)

Take a look at
Exodus 23:19, & 34:26 and Deuteronomy 14:21.
It is forbidden to cook a kid (ie a baby goat) in the milk of its mother.
This - ultimately - is the basis of not eating meat and dairy together.
Over many years, rabbis have used this as a starting point make a more general prohibition.
Bizarrely, in most modern observances, fowl is taken to be meat. So chicken parmesan is forbidden even though chickens don't make milk.
None of it makes sense.

kek, pretty good
7.5/10

>no pork is probably the most important in the hierarchy of kosher eating.
is it?
the camel, the rock badger and the hare are mentioned before the pig.
mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0311.htm#3
mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0514.htm#3
It seems important now because of what people commonly eat now.
Pork is common place but who the fuck eats a rock badger?

>the camel, the rock badger and the hare are mentioned before the pig.
That's interesting I never heard that before. The thing is most jews in america including myself aren't particularly well versed in our own religion and its texts but are more familiar with the traditions and old wive's tales passed through family tradition. So
>It seems important now because of what people commonly eat now.
is probably correct. We probably think the prohibition of pork as central to kosherness because that is the animal that is most common around us nowadays. Of course it was a way to distinguish jews from nonjews too. Even so many Jews will eat pork nowadays too so its also becoming irrelevant.

It was mentioned on maybe Weeds and Big Bang Theory but in reference to a cheeseburger so it has come up in pop culture.

Hahahahahhahahahaa
youre wrong

You sound like an even more jewish version of Larry David.

Maybe in like fucking Iowa, in places that have actual good food it's absolutely subway-tier garbage.

Objectively 20x better than Subway and its great for the price and that you can find them often.

Russian and Thousand Island are the same thing. Some people say shit like "Russian dressing has horseradish and Thousand Island has relish" but I've seen recipe for Thousand Island with horseradish and recipes for Russian dressing with relish. They're the same thing.

This is my perfect Reuben recipe
>excessive amounts of corn beef, sauerkraut and sauce
>2 slices of swiss
>splash of mustard
>smear of garlic on the bread when your toasting