The other day I heard some people with foreign sounding accents talking about how Shake Shack isn't a "real burger"...

The other day I heard some people with foreign sounding accents talking about how Shake Shack isn't a "real burger" because the patty isn't thick enough. Not exactly sure where they were from, somewhere in Central Europe I imagine.

A question for you folks in the great land of abroad: do foreigners think a thicker patty makes a better burger?

Or do they believe that Americans believe this, and they feel that espousing this belief makes them seem more American?

Please note, I can tell which of you are simply Americans LARPing as foreigners. I recommend you not try that as there will be consequences to your misbehavior.

Attached: 20100709-burger-shaping-13.jpg (500x334, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

johanjohansen.dk/2016/02/16/original-burger-louis-lunch-burger-copycat-recipe/
thrillist.com/eat/nation/best-burgers-in-america-burger-quest
burgerbeast.com/2017/05/01/burger-beasts-top-25-burgers/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Europeans are insecure and mostly retarded. It’s best to just ignore them while they are slowly replaced by Muslims.

bong here.

if you go to a posh pub the chances are you will get an enormous burger with a very thick patty cooked pink. we also have a number of fast casual chains like honest burger which do the same thing. it is definitely considered to be the upmarket form factor for a burger in this country.

>Or do they believe that Americans believe this
i think most of us believe that americans are fat idiots and so their opinion is always going to be wrong regardless of what it is. so if we maintain that a thick burger is better, that probably has something to do with americans thinking thin ones are better, if you see what i mean.

Everyone in the entire world who isn't American all have the same opinion on burger thickness. And our opinion is "shut up and fuck off".

Great thread. Are burgers really all you can talk about?

Nah thick meat patties and high stacked fat burgers are the worst. I'd rather eat McDonalds than some stupid inconvenient hipster burger.

t. european

That's some tasty salt you guys have

Attached: 922528465a61f7dad59b2f066d34d0b2.jpg (500x375, 197K)

Well, if they had German accents they are probably correct since they invented the hamburger.
Since I wasn’t there I can’t really offer a definitive answer.

>eats nothing but meat pies and fried food Muslim treat boxes
>durr ur fat innit
It’s hilarious how delusional bongs are.

Is that due to the historical origins of burgers in great britain? Namely that they were introduced by Ramsay and this influenced the successive generations of burger styles?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 116K)

HOW COULD THESE HAVE GONE UNCHECKED?!? THIS IS HELL!!!!!!!!

What's going on with his face? he looks like a fucking balloon.

Same.
t. American

no, we've had fast food burgers since the 50s. i think blame probably lies with the rise of the gastropub, which occurred while ramsay was still focussed on fine dining. thin burgers just don't fit in with the turn of the century gastropub aesthetic of rustic, 'proper', generous plates served with chunky chips and onions cooked in beer and all that bollocks.

Since Americans invited the airplane, does that mean we're the only ones that make good ones? I'll go with it but I feel that's going to be a tough sell to the rest of the world.

This cunt complains about burgers every time they're that big and he has the balls to make something like that?

Attached: 1451103236233.jpg (118x126, 2K)

Holy fuck. Veeky Forums. Must be dead

Serb here. Our burgers are also usually quite thin. I've never had burgers with a similar texture anywhere else, though. The meat has a high fat content and is mixed for a long time which gives it a very soft texture. It's common to put onions in the mince but you can also just get some diced onion on the side like you would with cevapi. The burgers are also almost always grilled as opposed to pan fried, even at cheap street vendors.

I can't get the same texture at home no matter how I make the mince. High fat content, medium fat content, coarse grind, fine grind, 15 minutes of mixing, 5 minutes of mixing, doesn't matter. One of those things that you just can't get the same at home.

Attached: file.png (1200x630, 1.24M)

Euros over-work the meat which essentially turns it into a meatball upon cooking. I've seen it happen in the U.S. too but it way more uncommon. Ground beef, if it's 80-20 or 70-30 (doesn't matter) will plump when you cook it. The only reason to make a giant fucking burger is if you have 9 other things cooking at the same time and you can't cook to temp without the assistance of time.

Attached: Eddie.jpg (480x360, 15K)

So much vitriol in this thread

Try using papain (papaya proteinase) in your mince and let it break down the protein for a while before cooking.

Thanks for the tip. Do they sell it in a powder or something or do I need to add literal papaya to my mince? Though I'm 100% certain that that's not how they achieve the texture here at least.

excellent post

>Europeans are insecure and mostly retarded. It’s best to just ignore them while they are slowly replaced by Muslims.

Attached: 1495969716413.jpg (613x1024, 135K)

I don't know that a thicker patty makes a "better burger"; a burger should not be judged on patty size alone or any simple parameter like that.
Sometimes I want a big thick burger patty, other times I want a few small in n out style ones stacked up with cheese - when it comes to greatness however, there's more to it than that.

Often times, however, someone who doesn't know how to make a burger will wind up with some thick puffed up patty, but again, that doesn't mean it will be bad per-say.

Attached: The Mexican.jpg (750x737, 48K)

Ausfag here. Basically anywhere you order a burger you'll more than likely get a thick patty. McDonald's has offerings for thick patties, but the Big Mac and similar are still the thinner ones. I personally haven't tried any thin patty burgers but I do enjoy thicker burgers.

Double checked

For what it's worth, I'm a burger, and I do kind of look at thin pattied fast-food burgers as not being "real" burgers.

>I'm a burger, and I do kind of look at thin pattied fast-food burgers as not being "real" burgers.
Same. I'm not a fan of these super thick "patties" either, that thing in the OP looks like a meatball. I feel a proper hamburger patty should be at least 1/2" and no more than 1" thick.
But that is just like my opinion.

there's a difference between thin patties like mcdicks and from an actual restaurant/home. I like mine kind of thin, but just for portions if I know I won't finish a big one. Added benefit of fast cooking and you can stack multiple for thicker burgers

Respecting your double dubs

Also respecting these double dubs
Respecting these year of the dub dubs

OP, first of all, the burger sandwich was invented in New Haven CT, yes, the USA.
johanjohansen.dk/2016/02/16/original-burger-louis-lunch-burger-copycat-recipe/

Secondly, there's zero wrong with Shake Shack. This pic related, is how a burger should be ordered at Shake Shake, one patty, and a cheese stuffed mushroom on top of the burger. It's amazingness. For the meat itself, I like the maillard sear of a smashburger, who I find similar, but that mushroom beats all.

I've had burgers alll over Europe, (traveled to 28 countries) and the overall majority is not anything to write home about. They're a bit behind the luxury featured burger culture in the US to the degree that we are, but they're copycating somewhat. We are having it: 1/2lb burgers in house baked buns, toasted buttered, and great fresh coarse grind multiple cuts of meat, lots of good toppings. From Shula burger's wine country to bacon jam'd RokBgr to Louis Lunch's first burger in america vertically flame grilled with the pub cheese spread (new haven) to hand trimmed and aged prime in a Ray's Hellburger topped with bone marrow, the prime burger cooked over oak at every major chain steakhouse or new burger chain, there are local favorites in every city that figure it out well.
Enjoy this top 100
thrillist.com/eat/nation/best-burgers-in-america-burger-quest
Enjoy this burger reviewer with lots of pics for next time you're in Miami...most of these burgers pictured are insanely large. I say get a "frita burger with maduros"
burgerbeast.com/2017/05/01/burger-beasts-top-25-burgers/

Attached: shroom burger stack.jpg (800x600, 87K)

OMG double dubs checked

That's actually true.

Commonly sold "Meat Tenderizer" powders contain Papain as a primary ingredient, but they're also salty so replace a portion of the salt with the tenderizer.

Attached: 81WC6phS1UL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 207K)

Attached: 1518801867358.jpg (728x640, 500K)

He discovered botox.

Americans are insecure and mostly retarded. It’s best to just ignore them while they are slowly replaced by monkeys.

based shake shack. best burger I've had was at a steak house in seattle. it was a simple really thick dry aged medium cooked beef patty with tomato jam, real aioli, and a semolina bun. That's it.

Spent 5 years living all over Europe and never had even a decent burger from a local place. A few things all Euro burger have in common: too big or too thick, use of either a sweet sauce, too spicy sauce, too much sauce, always entirely too much arugala, a bunch that is too tall or large, and they're never grilled.
All that being said, Cevapcici from the Balkans is fucking great and beats every American fast food place except for Whataburger.

no, germans did not invent the hamburger. the hamburg steak, which is like a burger patty, was brought to america by german immigrants. it was made into a sandwich in america so workers could eat it standing up with their hands, and they called it a hamburger because it was like a hamburg steak. hamburgers are american.

>Slowly

I do not eat beefburgers

le 56% talking

Attached: 1495137819193.jpg (800x604, 110K)

Nobody care about burger, it's just fast food here