Let's Talk Pico

Anyone make their own?
Here's something a little different with the use of pineapple and fennel root. Otherwise pretty standard.
>tomato
>onion
>fennel root
>pineapple
>garlic
>serrano chile
>lime juice
>cilantro
>smoked salt
Normally i enjoy a lot of cilantro but i went easy here so as to not mask the more subtle fennel root.

How 'bout Veeky Forums?

Attached: 20180320_152135.jpg (2576x1932, 1.8M)

10/10 would eat

Is pico just fancy salsa

Looks and sounds disgusting.

Americans need to get their own culture and cusine

I like mine on the oniony side. terragon and apple are good mixups.

I use chardonnay vin. cause im a fuckin whiteboy heretic

>i have never been very adventurous in any aspect of my life...especially food. New things are intimidating. I associate pineapple with easter ham and pizza. Im not even sure i know what fennel root is. Ill stick to my jar of Pace thank you.

I like the idea of tarragon and apple

Pretty sure there’s already a food gore thread. Check the catalog next time.

My only problem is mixing the pineaplle and tomato in there, seems like they play the same role, sweetness and a bit of acidity. I usually make one pineapple salsa and one tomato pico. Also grilling the pineapple first is tits.

>my juvenile palate still thinks tomatoes are icky

>reading comprehension

No, it's a type of salsa that's chopped instead of ground/blended/pureed

type of tomato* salsa

I just buy a cup of it in the store because it's less work and ultimately cheaper. Especially if I get it somewhere like a farmers market, whole/natural foods store, etc, where it's all top quality and would literally be more expensive to buy the individual ingredients and make my own.

Kek

>tomato and pineapple
It works. The pineapple is not overwhelming. Its a basic pico with a little sweetness...not a pinapple salsa with tomato. I like the idea of grilling the pineapple.

I prefer smoked jews. But apparently it's some sort of taboo to cook them up.
Maybe that's just the German half of me speaking.
They go good with hummus.

Pineapple and tomato serving the same function in a salsa is why you can use a mixture of the two to give it a different flavor profile while not throwing off the balance.

Actually no. Pico de gallo is served fresh using raw ingredients. It lasts 2-3 days. Salsa means sauce and is generally a cooked and/or canned preparation of similar ingredients and lasts for weeks to months.

Id take a dick for some of that. Looks good.

Who puts fucking celery in salsa?

Are you fucking retarded? You CAN roast or grill your vegetables before you grind/blend/puree it into salsa(traditionally the ingredients are ground using a molcajete), and that's what I usually do, but you can absolutely use fresh vegetables for regular salsa, and salsa is pretty much never cooked once the ingredients are combined unless they're being pasteurized during the canning/bottling process. Pico de gallo, which is also called salsa fresca(fresh sauce) or salsa picada(chopped sauce) is a chopped raw tomato and onion salsa, thus the two common names (fresh and chopped).

>pico fresh
>salsa cooked
Succinct and accurate
>pico fresh
>salsa cooked
Incoherent and autistic

The only ones I had were not very mety, tasted good but there was not much to eat

Salsa doesn't have to be cooked.

if you're talking about pico de gallo then yes, every single time.
don't see a reason not to do it yourself.
i go with the classic, just
>tomato
>cilantro
>onion
>chili
>limejuice&zest
>cilantro
(>garlic)
this is true

>this is true
If I put raw tomatoes, raw garlic, raw onion, and in a food processor with some cilantro and lime juice, and never cook it, it's called salsa.

and raw jalapenos*

>tomato
>onion
>jalapeno
>cilantro
>lime
>salt

that's all you need bud

>its called salsa
Its called crappy. You forgot salt.
>salsa doesnt have to be cooked
Correct but more often than not it is.

>celery
Thats fennel

But saying "salsa is cooked" is wrong because there are plenty of salsas that aren't cooked, and most salsas made at home are not cooked.

I beli3ve what started this was user saying salsa is "generally" cooked which if you consider salsa production as a whole meaning home factory and restaurant salsa then statement is correct.

Pico de Gallo is a fruit and vegetable salad, not a salsa. What most Americans think of as Pico de Gallo is actually called Salsa Bandera.

My go to right now for pico:

>tomatoes
>onion
>lots of chilies
>an avocado (just the one I'm not making guac)
>garlic
>lime juice
>fresh cilantro
>salt
>black pepper

Then I top it off with this chili powder that I picked up driving through New Mexico.

I've also used this concentrated chili mash in vinegar that my buddy got from his family in Mexico. That shit is stupid hot but has great flavor.

I also make my own tortilla chips. Brush some extra corn tortillas with oil, cut into chip shapes, throw on a tray, and bake at 350 for 10 min or so.

You are a terrible person.

You don't understand America even the tiniest bit.

Most restaurant salsa is fresh, not cooked.

At a restaurant, some of the salsa is fresh, and some is made with cooked ingredients, but the salsa is never cooked once the ingredients are combined. Salsa is really only cooked if it's bottled or canned.

You are right that pico de gallo is not a salsa but that doesnt mean its not pico de gallo.

Correct. And the vast majority of salsa produced globally is bottled or canned.

Boku no pico?

>Mexicans call pico de gallo various names such as "salsa fresca" "salsa mexicana" and "salsa picada"
>pico de gallo is not salsa

Fucking mexicans

Mexicans are the reason america is great again

>pico de gallo
>with all that extra shit
>mexican
Pico de gallo is just cilantro, onions, tomatoes, some lime juice and salt
Fuck off you mung

Attached: 1521504273324.jpg (297x170, 11K)