How many industry anons on Veeky Forums?

how many of you actually cook professionally, whether you're a chef or a line cook? i see a lot more home cooking related threads than i used to

Attached: 6.jpg (300x257, 4K)

chef de partie at a thai street food chain here

I'll bain marie your ass, smart mouth

Boil me, daddy.

Former dishwasher/ grill cook. Really thankful for the experience, but also really happy I'm not doing it any more. Working at a car dealership is so much nicer.

Attached: 1521116267350.png (960x918, 772K)

where at?

Used to be a line cook at an Austrian restaurant while at the same time being a line/prep cook for a British restaurant. Now I have an office job. I don't regret it. I learned a helluva lot and I was young and it was an adventure.

Now I'm just a home cook, but I still enjoy serving large crowds during parties.

I was a line cook more than a decade ago. Still think I could jump into any kitchen and pick it right back up. Once go complements to the chef by the mayor of the city and a state senator while working at a nice seafood place. I worked at chi-chi's when they shut down. I now run a cabinet shop making kitchen for rich people who will likely never cook in their kitchens.

send me some rich people equipment ill put it to good use

Chef de partie, about to get a promotion to soux chef though. Fucking sick of my life, there's no staff in the kitchen, so it's me and my head chef working 7 days a week for the next 5 weeks. Already on 13th day of work and ready to die

Wish I could. I would love to have a 48" Wolf range and 3 separate ref. One freezer, a fresh food column, and a fucking 7' high wine cooler. In my kitchen. These people spend more on just their kitchen than I payed for my 3 bedroom house.

WHY CAN'T SERVERS LEARN TO RING FOOD IN CORRECTLY REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Can someone explain how different home cooking is to professional cooking? Other than you only cook parts of dishes

Are you fucking serious?

Reminder to send your really bad ones to your dish guy and switch them out at some point in the night, the shit stuck at the bottom are pretty hard to clean properly.

Used to be a dishwasher but moved up to line cook half a year ago. Its alright but my drinking has been getting out off hand.

Attached: morningoptimism.jpg (640x249, 20K)

Worked for seven years as a host, busboy/barback, dishwasher, prep cook at outback steakhouse. Fuck that shit never again. Flirting and pussy grabbing the hot bitch employees was great though.

worked as a dishbitch for a year
comfy as fuck and everyone was really nice
I would do it again and immediately regret it

Watch the blood pressure lard lad, I just want to know how hard it would be for an enthusiastic amateur to transition to a professional kitchen

I'll bite. When I cook at home I am making one meal and dropping the whole thing at once. I can take time to taste and get the whole meal right. Cooking for tons of people with different meals while others come in is different. So much more to think about. You can have dozens of tables orders on the grill and it has to come out with the oven shit. Everything gets staggered so a crazy good memory helps. It can really be stressful. If cooking at home stresses you out you are doing it wrong.

Ever seen a new guy breakdown and quit? That was my favorite part about it.

I make pizza.

i work as a kind of line cook at a diner inside of whole foods. everyone is a degenerate and i have nightmares about it almost every night.

Yup, the industry is filled with homos, drug addicts and single moms.

I love it when people just straight up disappear in the middle of the shift and you're like where'd they go and everyone is like "I dunno".
Dish is life.

Is this normal for every kitchen or just ones with less cooks? I imagined some would have dedicated chefs for each dish so the staggered orders wouldn’t be so bad

this, professional cooking is 50% cooking ability and 50% having the ability for timers in your head for every meal
i get stressed out at home just thinking about it, one of the big reasons that the "all chefs are alcoholics/drug users" meme exists

>I imagined some would have dedicated chefs for each dish
most restaurants have lots lots more dishes then chefs, gordon ramsey tv specials where they only serve 3 mains are very very rare

do you think helping make multiple course meals for 300+ people on Friday and Saturday night would be easy, let alone comparable to cooking at home?

I worked in restaurant and inn kitchens during high school, college, and afterwards. It was hard, dirty work and I don't miss it.
I'm glad I did it, I'm an awesome cook and my current job hardly seems like work.

Professional food is the difference

I hate all the food service industry pros on this board. I think you are all ruining it. Look I live alone and I'm just trying to have fun and learn, fuck off.

>i hate the only people who contribute anything worthwhile to the board

Fuck off.

>I think I have an elite job that warrants shitting on amateurs

Fuck on.

LOL making shitty "AMAs" is your idea of contributing?

fuck you
get a line cook job

I work as an assistant manager in a shitty sandwich shop
And by assistant manager I mean I do the same thing everyone else does I just count money at the end of the night and get paid slightly more
It's fucking hell because every rich yuppie expects perfect food out of a business run by teenagers and high school dropouts with no where else to go

If you’re into wine, a 7’ wine cooler isn’t that big of a deal. That affords you the space for a few case or two of your favorite wine a year and allowing it to age for a few years before drinking. That will typically turn a $30 bottle of wine (the right kind, not any $30 bottle) into a $100 bottle of wine. Really rich people don’t think twice about adding an entire cellar room with racks of wine and other stuff.

Line cook worked up to Head Chef at Japanese restaurant. Easy shit but very fast paced. Was nice until the owners decided to start opening for lunch and took away all the prep cook time. We also had people walking out left and right for a time. Funniest story was when we had a guy training to become a kitchen manager, he was doing great until the day before his first full shift in charge and he got picked up for a competitive Super Smash Bros sponsorship and peaced out.

I left to start managing at a pet supply store. Don't make as much money now but much easier job and loads more PTO and actual benefits. Trying to get into programming currently, learning coding at home. I don't miss the restaurant at all except for the rice dishes I would concoct on my breaks.

Attached: 1519818733864.jpg (376x273, 85K)

Hey same guy as . I did the same shit before I started my big boy restaurant shit. What shop you at? I managed at Which Wich and then Einsteins for a while. Shitty stuff. You can make some decent money if you stick to it but damn get ready to burn your body out. Consider retail if you get tired, you're in the same pay grade but considerably easier work.

>competitive Super Smash Bros sponsorship
fuck this gay earth

I work in a chain that exists only in Oklahoma and a few stores in Kansas
The company is set to exist for only about 10 more years as they have no interest in upkeep on their 20 year old stores and have just recently laid off a 1/4 of their general managers
I'm about to quit for a warehouse job making twice as much money as I do now

at least they have jobs and pay some taxes. so like, shut the fuck up.

I cook unique food such as gyros, chicken pasta dishes, korean tacos, etc. at a place that is a small restaraunt/bar. Have a blast, but pay is shit. At least the waitstaff are all nice and know what the fuck they are doing.

Worked the line for three years. It's just not the sort of work one stays in unless they are really passionate about it. Lifers are fucking crazy.

I work everything at a pretty authentic Mexican restaurant where I live. I actually really like my job and about to upgrade my certified management tomorrow so I can run a pop-up this summer.

git gud faggot

>Lifers are fucking crazy.
or can't get any other work

sure do what's up

Attached: tenor.gif (300x224, 1.53M)

I’m a line cook at a Ramen shop

If you’re not Mexican it’s not authentic

I'm a line cook at a gastropub and part time I roll sushi at a small mom and pop joint.

I just got a job at a Japanese fusion place, I start today.

I was a line cook. Cooking for 200 nameless faceless people sucked, cooking for my family is the highlight of my day

Attached: 1520815370241.png (225x227, 119K)

what do you think about butchery and charcuterie ? i'm interested but still don't know

Swedish sous chef here
work at a south american barbecue bistro

read "Kitchen confidential" by Anthony Bourdain and you'll know

Yeah, I work in a small two man restaurant with 60-odd seats. 2pm starts and two days off a week is a god send after the last few years, and we have a lot of freedom to experiment with new ideas and dishes. I'm having a lot of fun, the best experience I've had since entering the industry 4 years ago, to be honest.

Pic related is something I came up with in February. Smoke washed mushrooms, fried fungus branches, pork jus & smoked brown butter emulsion, grilled pickled pearl onions and dill.

Attached: IMG_20180213_233529_575.jpg (1080x1080, 123K)

Uh. What percent of that is meant to be eaten.

dude nice, would definitely chuck this into the wheelbarrow when raking leaves

What are fungus branches?

Is fusion just a trendier way of saying inauthentic/westernized?

Aha, it was for a theme dinner, so I went with this forest idea. You can eat all of it, sans the sprig of rosemary that you can tear off if you'd like. It was charred (but not in that photo) to create an aroma. Wanky idea, but it was fun.

Shredded, dehydrated mushrooms that I deep fried. Like salty, earthy mushroom fries essentially.

Baker/Pastry Chef at a hospital, for the last year. The hospital and the Sodexo-type GM and Exec Chef running the kitchen are all about scratch-made and fresh cooking for the patients and a cafe for workers and visitors. We put out a lot of really nice restaurant-quality food. Just the other week, I was able to replace a Sara Lee Angel Food cake, we were ordering frozen for patients, with a scratch recipe of mine I can make in batches on the regular. I work 40hrs a week, 6am-3pm(plus OT), with full benefits. Feels good, man.

be honest now, did you seriously just grab a handful of shit from the trash can and throw it on a pan?

Worked in the industry until age 25, when I decided I needed a real career.

I can see Alton Brown is using social media again.

Been cooking for five years. Worked at pubs to dine dinning. The only thing I can't stand is elitist and drugged up waitresses. Passion is vital put your head down and do your best. Honestly just work and don't worry about money there is no point you will always be broke unless you just nolife it and work 70 hours a week or more. I think in order to be successful in this industry long term you need hobbies besides drinking drugs and casual sex. Be responsible for your own actions and you will always have a job in a kitchen somewhere.

Smash is serious business, son.

Attached: Ssbmrank2017_4.png (728x945, 1.1M)

Get off the internet, mom.

I worked as a sous chef at Burger King near my house for a while, but that cooking business is so crazy, and I was afraid of becoming a heroin addict and getting a bunch of shitty tattoos, so I went back to the seminary

>The hospital and the Sodexo-type GM and Exec Chef running the kitchen are all about scratch-made and fresh cooking for the patients and a cafe for workers and visitors
What the fuck kind of hospital is this

>dine dinning

Attached: frogbayne.png (700x775, 908K)

Whats the right kind?

kek'd

lol m2k

Funny story, I played smash with his first gf back then.

The hospital is part of a small organization, that I won't mention, that is more focused toward the overall quality of patient care. We have 3 full-time dieticians that work with our chefs to prepare menus for patients' individual health concerns. Everything from low-carb, high protein, and liquid diets. We even make quick meals for people who get treated in the ER. Brick pizza oven, open saute station and grill, and we have a little Korean lady that makes sushi in front of customers.

That's fine, I'm american.

I have an interview tomorrow for a dishwasher position. I said I had open availability any shift, no matter the day of the week or time. Did I fuck myself? It's for part time, but it seemed like the kind of part time that was just barely under full time.

I worry about damage to my hands. I've been a dishwasher before and working on Father's Day really fucked my hands up, especially since I never got a break since I was working full time, every day back then. It really seems like I'll get this job, but I still worry about my hands. Will they think I'm a little bitch if I say I can work Friday and Sunday nights, but need Saturday off to give my hands a break?

If it's a busy restaurant you and your hands are pretty fucked, yea

Don't you wear gloves?

IDK, it probably will be busy at nights. Well, I have until tomorrow to think about what to say so I can protect my hands, like having Saturday off in between Friday and Sunday.

Typically not. Do they help? I'm not sure they did when I used them, but IDK. What do you think? I think, for me, the damage to my hands was more the constant exertion/strain to my fingers during a rush vs having constantly wet hands, but IDK.

Try wearing marigolds. Detergent wrecks skin.

I've never seen a dishwasher wear gloves. They're often there, but they are dirty inside and smelly and your hands will just sweat.

Better sweat than all the chemicals in the dishwater, trust me.

Line cook at Neapolitan style pizzeria in Tampa

Attached: 1521553367782.jpg (640x640, 52K)

Am a craft beer and cocktail bartender-- do I count?

atta boy. good luck user

line cook at a cafe/restaurant

I live in lakeland, im coming for you, and im informing your social circles you know the anonymous hacker Veeky Forums.

Pasco county here. I'm doing it too.

I used to work as a kitchen hand/dishwasher at a cafe. They were training me up to be the main cook but I wasn't keen because from what I understood I wouldn't be getting any extra money just less breaks and more stress. It was a disgusting kitchen and I hated everyone there. I mostly did the dishes so much because I wanted to be anti social plus everyone was lazy. If I didn't do things they just didn't get done, or done half assedly. For example we used to serve some things on these wooden boards like pic related. They would get rinsed with cold water and then re-stacked and used again. They smelt like literal rot. I was the only one who actually cleaned them and even then the boss taught me to use disinfectant spray and wipe it with a tea towel and that's it. Cafe culture is disgusting and it's seriously over priced. I would never go to one now. One of the chefs used to handle raw chicken then go about her day and never washed her hands. I also saw her lick her fingers once. She never followed any of the recipes and then made up bogus excuses as to why they didn't turn out properly. ;_; She hated me because I'm a turbo autist. She said I was disobeying her but all I said is I will only do things if I can follow the recipes because it's a big drama when things go wrong. It's traumatised me to getting another job honestly.

Oh the pic. And yes a family did come in and complain of food poisoning once from one of her soups. Because they were selling week old soup that gets heated and chilled daily in a bit vat. All the food is so old in the cabinet and no one really knows how old but it's old. The only fresh things were the scones and muffins. If you go maybe ask them what was baked today and avoid paying for overpriced food you would have binned if it was in your own home.

Attached: trauma.jpg (574x459, 26K)

the dishwashers at my restaurant are all lazy and slow and chef is always yelling at them for clean plates

though to be fair the servers and prep cooks just throw shit everywhere without any consideration for space or correctly stacking plates, so it's a bit of nightmare they have to deal with.

I'm a mutt from Kazakhstan (yes potassium etc) and I work in a Middle Eastern restaurant. When people ask me where I'm from I'm suppose to say Lebanon and when they ask me what I recommend I say Falafel because of the profit margin I guess.

I study physics, I shouldn't have to put up with this bullshit.

I'm a sous at a hip little place in our downtown arts district.

I was at Armature works today...

OP here
so fucking good. god damn get yourself some coppa some spicy soppresatta some prosciutto (the real parma shit not boars head) there are so many good charcuterie