Bone Broth - htf to make it edible?

So my doctor wants me to consume a 1/2 cup of bone broth a day.

I've just been drinking the stuff cold and straight because I can't find any way to make it good. If you haven't had bone broth it tastes like the bones of a roast chicken smell after deboning. I don't want to think about the beef version.

It's not the worst flavor but it doesn't seem to get disguised by anything. I was expecting a hearty sort of broth, and figuring on a hot broth drink daily. It's very not that at all.

I'm no sissy, almost anything I don't outright like as food I enjoy the experience- froglegs to sushi to squirrel stew, I'm not squemish, I just don't find this particular flavor palatable.

So Veeky Forums what fun things can I try or mix with my bone broth to make it palatable- or dare I dream, even good. Bonus points for something simple I can do daily- making a pot of rice taste like bone broth is pretty much the opposite of the goal.

What do?

Attached: fucking YUM.png (744x578, 714K)

Other urls found in this thread:

brodo.com/
balancedbites.com/content/easy-recipe-mineral-rich-bone-broth/
youtube.com/watch?v=bDWZZ4wxREM
youtube.com/watch?v=HiIx6FBxHvk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Your doctor is a retard for recommending it and you're a retard for drinking it. Anyway, if you insist on drinking it then mask the taste with half a pound of garlic or something.

What the fuck is bone broth?

have you tried collagen supplements, like the great lakes green canister shit? they have a mild but faintly offputting taste if mixed with water but are just fine in OJ, coffee, protein shakes, etc. Probably easier from a logistical standpoint too.

???

>Heat it to boiling
>add garlic powder
>hot sauce
>sesame oil
>remove from heat
>add green onions
>minced garlic
>drink

Wtf are you on about this shit is good it does not smell nasty you are either drinking that powder shit or your making it wrong recipe I use to make mine came up with your own messurements

Pot roast
Beef bones with the merrow
Chicken thighs
Garlic
Onions cut in half with there skins
Celery
Carrots
Parsnips
Himalayan salt
Braggs Apple cider vinegar
Pepper
Red pepper
Something spicy
Sweet potatoes
Water
Slow cook for 48-72 hours

Also forgot to mention remove shit from the liquid then let it cool and wait for the geletin to set remove fat and save

You need to activate it

>when u have a tough day at work and crack open an ice cold bottle of bone broth
OP is a clinical fucking retard

what can I say it helps. maybe if you're not suffering crippling food allergies that have your fucking intestines torn to shit it doesn't do anything for you, but it's helped me.

yeah see the question was about putting all that shit in to make it good. pretty sure if you left out the 15 other things the beef bones would make some pretty not-good broth.

>I just don't find this particular flavor palatable.
>So Veeky Forums what fun things can I try or mix with my bone broth to make it palatable- or dare I dream, even good. Bonus points for something simple I can do daily- making a pot of rice taste like bone broth is pretty much the opposite of the goal.
I think maybe try another brand...
A squeeze of citrus can finish a soup well. Latins love limes, a bit more on the lemon in europe.

Take a look at the menu as New York's bone broth restaurant called "brodo" for ideas on what goes into making your own. There are mix-ins and things they sell to top the broth, from ginger to coconut milk to fresh parsley to oils like chili oil, rosemary oil, etc. You could snip some dill or other herb on top of a serving. Instead of just drinking broth though, just add things that you like in soup. Veggies won't bother you.

brodo.com/

Good luck user!.

The fuck are you a vegan

>I think maybe try another brand...

there's a thought that hadn't occurred. I mean it smells and tastes like freshly stripped chicken bones from a roast chicken so I assumed they all tasted like that.

fuck I might buy six different brands, try making some of my own and pull out the wine glasses "flight of bone broth" thing.

Bone Broth is really good. I use Diane Sanfilippo's recipe: balancedbites.com/content/easy-recipe-mineral-rich-bone-broth/
I don't like broth out of a can or carton, by itself bu if you make your own it is so good especially first thing in the morning.

just make a simple soup out of it and keep it in the fridge, eat it alongside dinner
this aint rocket science

So what the fuck is it? Why don't you make a stock and use it in your normal cooking?

most of my normal cooking doesn't use stock. I'm a spice, dry rub and bake my shit kind of guy.

this is a good way to do it
i usually add salt/freshground pepper/garlic powder

it has helped me too

it really does repair shitty gut lining and restore gut cells. Make sure you incorporate probiotic rich foods like yogurt/kefir/sauerkraut before any fibrous foods to restore gut flora balance

nah you're good man just what i was saying was
WARM IT THE FUCK UP IT'S PRETTY MUCH SOUP DO NOT DRINK STOCK COLD UNLESS YOU ARE AN OTHERWORLD DEMON PRIESTESS

Well it sounds like a good opportunity to get into sauces to me. If it has ground up powdered bone type of stuff in it, that might get a little funky, but I would imagine it'd still be good reduced and used as the base for a lot of different sauces. Seriously, what is this stuff? Stock and broths have been used for millennia, but if it's some weird health fad, it's probably fucked up in some way.

>but if it's some weird health fad
it's just something that is rich in glutamine instead of going out and getting refined packaged pill / powder form glutamine.

It's like eating fruit to get vitamin C instead of eating vitamin C tablets.

>WARM IT THE FUCK UP
yeah that just intensifies the "flavor" by making it more olfactory. I will try it again though and add some shit other anons have suggested.

Find a new doctor.

Yeah, I get that, but are you making it or purchasing it pre-made? Pic related is the start of some beef stock I made a while ago. I've seen people mention bone broth here and there, but no one really seems to know what they're doing with it and it makes me wonder if they know what it is either.

Attached: FullSizeRender3.jpg (4032x3024, 2.61M)

This thread is fucking incredible.

>How do I make my chicken soup better? I'm adding literally nothing and drinking it cold.

buying premade. I don't do enough bone in or roast chicken to keep myself in stock but I'm going to try making it myself next time I do a whole chicken but I can't figure on alway doing it myself.

Do you get that from a butcher maybe?

Here's the result of my beef stock. It's great for braising, sauces, soup and stew, but I don't know what people mean when they are talking about bone broth. Is it just bones simmered in water for a long time?

Attached: FullSizeRender12.jpg (3024x4032, 2M)

Typically, yes. I got that batch from an Asian grocer, but I've since found a butcher that is more reliable.

It's just bones simmered in something acidic to partially break them down. The result is a very thick, gelatinous stock.

It's a stupid fucking seppo term for a stock or, simply, a broth. I can look past pronouncing caramel as 'carmel', but calling what is literally one of the oldest recipes in human existence a bone broth and acting like it's a new development in cooking is hands down the most retarded thing that country has done apart from invading Iraq

yeah and why the fuck do they call risotto risotto it's just fucking rice

well it also makes it so you're not drinking cold slime goop too, so there's that as a plus.

ITT: a young person discovers how chicken soup is made apart from a campbell's soup factory and struggles to deal with the implications

OK. So long as it doesn't have powdered bone or something like it, then it's perfect for any kind of liquid base. Roast off some meat trimmings (brown it if you want the color and flavor). Saute some aromatic vegetables like carrots, celery, leeks, onion, and bell pepper. Add the bone broth and let it simmer for a few hours. Add in some other aromatics like garlic and herbs for richer flavor. If you're doing a dark brown from heavily roasted meat, add some tomato or tomato paste. It'll taste like a plain soup at that point. Reduce that by half for a good sauce base or make a soup out of it.

>Reduce that by half
Meaning simmer it until the volume is reduced by half (it's a long time for a lot of it). It's worth it for an awesome steak sauce on the fly though. I freeze some reduced stock in ice cube trays and plop one or two into a pan when I want a sauce.

Buy a day old rotisserie chicken from the deli at your local supermarket. They're pretty heavily discounted, you can use the meat for chicken salad sandwiches and then simmer the carcass in a crockpot for 24h

Animal bones of your choice (beef/chicken/pork) with a bit of meat and fat still sticking on it
Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste.
Ginger, garlic, leek, and other spices you like - optional
Some vegetables which nutrition you'd like as well - optional. I like carrots and celery for this.

Cook inside pressure cooker for around 1-3 hours, or inside slow cooker for 24-48 hours.
Discard solids, unless you'd rather eat them.
Serve warm or cold.

>Tfw the day old rotisserie is a rarity at the HEB.

your doctor is a fucking quack

I drink a bowl of bone broth every morning. There are many types of collagen and you can vary what animal bones you use. I mix it up. This week my stock pot is full of cows feet. Last week it was chicken feet. I once tried fish heads, but you have to put a heavy lid on them as they can explode. All of are bone broth, but they are so uniquely and differently yummy. And their collagen types are different, which is what you should do, get all the types into your gut.

I think this kind of soup would be good for you OP. It's a pretty old one by Chef John but it's still a good one. It involves making a bone broth from browned chicken wings. Enjoy. youtube.com/watch?v=bDWZZ4wxREM

This thread inspired me to try out one of my countries traditional Moari dishes called the "Boil up". It's pork bones, sweet potato and watercress all boiled together with water! They seem to discard the liquid afterwards but it seems like a healthy soup and very easy to prepare and consume! Serve it with traditional fry bread and your choice of premixed bourbon and cola.

Attached: boil up.jpg (320x240, 31K)

this.

Why hasn’t anybody mentioned eating out at a ramen place yet? They make the broth from pig bones. They add veggies, eggs, pork, and flavors.

You'd get the bone broth right from the source wouldn't you, you dirty bitch.

The difference is that stock is specifically a broth made from bones. There was already a term for it, because it is a core ingredient.

> when the marketing is so pervasive in society that even doctors are falling for health food memes

Did your doctor also say to drink ipas and kombucha too? Make sure to only eat grass fed butter too, yep the most expensive brand will help you the most. Also get your green smoothie drink while wearing vibram five fingers while doing CrossFit, oh shit sorry that was last decades memes I forgot.

Consume san pedro cactus as a fluid and compare the tastes. Tell me which is worse.

Unless you are buying bone broth, that is literally just naked bones boiled in water (which is what I bet you are doing) it shouldn't taste bad.

Bone broth is just a meme term for REAL broth/stock made with actual bones/marrow/meat along with the traditional vegetables and herbs/spices etc...

Just buy a stockpot and make your own dude. Getting fucking scammed buying """bone broth """ especially in powder form.

wtf are you even doing you can make good bone broth by just simmering the bones and add some leek, celery, peppercorns and carrots the last 4 hours. then just add salt to taste.
i cant believe how you can fuck that up.

Just have oxtail soup instead.

Retardese for stock. Since we are about 3 generations out from the last one that made everything from scratch people are resurging it and calling it a new development. Get ready for flavorless gelatin becoming all the rage in 2020

Leave the bone out of it if that's not the part you like.

youtube.com/watch?v=HiIx6FBxHvk

>tfw workmate laughed for like 20 seconds when I told him I was making chicken stock later on
>thought I was taking the piss

Cooklet here, I've attempted broths twice and I never got a nice thick jelly, at worst all the water evaporated and I get a weak ass tasting broth.

What am I doing wrong?

hey
make rice with it
like cook rice but use stock in place of water
it's really good

Personally I much more prefer bone hurting gut broth

Well since you told us nothing about how you do it, Im going to go out and guess its because youre following a broth recipe and not a stock recipe. You need bones and cartilage to get that sweet meat jelly. Also a tsp of apple cider vinegar will help break it all down

>The people who would rather buy Great Value stock than put in the 20 minutes of effort
>The same people who think a pan sauce is some arcane mystery lost to the ages