Turducken

Who's tried making it? Was it worth the effort?

Who's heard of it?

Who's ordered it at some restaurant somewhere? How much was it?

Apparently it is kind of an american dish although it's origins go back to France...

Credit for the creation of the turducken is uncertain, though it is generally agreed to have been popularized by Cajun chef Paul Prudhomme. The most common claimant is Hebert's Specialty Meats in Maurice, Louisiana, whose owners Junior and Sammy Hebert say they created it in 1985 "when a local man brought his own birds to their shop and asked the brothers to create the medley".

Get this!

In his 1807 Almanach des Gourmands, gastronomist Grimod de La Reynière presents his rôti sans pareil ("roast without equal")—a bustard stuffed with a turkey, a goose, a pheasant, a chicken, a duck, a guinea fowl, a teal, a woodcock, a partridge, a plover, a lapwing, a quail, a thrush, a lark, an ortolan bunting and a garden warbler—although he states that, since similar roasts were produced by ancient Romans, the rôti sans pareil was not entirely novel. The final bird is very small but large enough to just hold an olive; it also suggests that, unlike modern multi-bird roasts, there was no stuffing or other packing placed in between the birds.

Thoughts?

Attached: Turkducken cooked 2.jpg (1200x701, 158K)

It tastes good, without any doubt. But it's overkill. It's a lot of poultry that tastes good, but very similar. It's not like you'll be getting a bite of everything on a fork. Nevertheless, I'm okay with three birds if you limit it to that. My question is, how would one sous vide this bitch without having an industrial size sous vide machine?

I have made one when I was into fucking around with meat glue.

It’s pointless and the birds are properly cooked at different temperatures so that introduces a whole layer of complexity to contend with. But it’s fun as a novelty.

Haven't made a turducken, but I have made a cherpumple. It was a glorious mess.

Wtf is a cherpumple

I had some duck for the first time recently and it was super chewy for the most part. I can't even imagine how the texture would be for everything in a turducken.

In Greenland, there is a dish called kiviak, made by killing 400 auks and jamming them feathers and all into a seal carcass, then letting it ferment under a rock from three months to one and a half years before eating the birds whole.

Attached: Kiviak 1.jpg (367x290, 28K)

Turducken is idiotic. The best thing about a roasted bird is the crispy brown skin, but with a turducken only the turkey's skin is browned. The duck and chicken will be like boiled.

oh god this is worse than the Icelandic dish with the rotted shark.

It is meatier than chicken or turkey and still can be very tender but you have to cooked it less - generally on the point between rare and medium rare.

> turkey, a goose, a pheasant, a chicken, a duck, a guinea fowl, a teal, a woodcock, a partridge, a plover, a lapwing, a quail, a thrush, a lark, an ortolan bunting and a garden warbler
Tempted to try a gooridge, a woodpart, a gook, duckcock or a phuck

you just need a good circulator and heat the water up beforehand to above your cook temp in anticipation of the temperature drop when you put in the meat. Although, If I were to do this sousvide I would probably cook each bird separately so I have more control over how each is cooked, and then assemble during finishing.

It's an affront to nature

I’ve never actually made one, but have eaten it plenty of times on Thanksgiving/Christmas. We just get them from Hebert’s, have lots of family in LA. Really good, but it’s mostly a novelty. It’s sorta too much. I feel like we serve it “just because.” They’re not cheap, but I don’t recall the price offhand. Between $50 and $100. The stuffing is the best part imo.

The largest item on any menu in the world is roasted camel, prepared occasionally for Bedouin wedding feasts. Cooked eggs are stuffed into fish, the fish stuffed into cooked chickens, the chickens stuffed into a roasted sheep’s carcass and the sheep stuffed into a whole camel.

American baseball great, Babe Ruth, was rumored to have eaten this entire dish in one sitting by himself before hitting 3 home-runs in a World Series game.

Attached: babe.jpg (254x198, 7K)

Why is it called "turd"?

kek

I've made one, definitely not worth the effort. Deboning the birds is a pain in the ass, and the end product is more of a novelty than any kind of flavor enhancement from mixing the three birds.

>a chicken, a duck
I bet a chicken stuffed inside a duck, eaten wrapped in crispy duck skin with the chicken skin removed, could be tasty. who will buy my chicucks?

Hakarl?

Or raw/overcooked.

>you will never create a turducken with a giantess, a normal woman, and a midget
why even go on with this so called life?

Attached: 1271317113494.jpg (200x202, 9K)