How Obesity Leads to Loss of Taste

sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/03/180320141339.htm
>Previous studies have indicated that weight gain can reduce one's sensitivity to the taste of food, and that this effect can be reversed when the weight is lost again, but it's been unclear as to how this phenomenon arises. Now a study publishing March 20 in the open-access journal PLOS Biology by Andrew Kaufman, Robin Dando, and colleagues at Cornell University shows that inflammation, driven by obesity, actually reduces the number of taste buds on the tongues of mice.

>A taste bud comprises of approximately 50 to 100 cells of three major types, each with different roles in sensing the five primary tastes (salt, sweet, bitter, sour, and umami). Taste bud cells turn over quickly, with an average lifespan of just 10 days. To explore changes in taste buds in obesity, the authors fed mice either a normal diet made up of 14% fat, or an obesogenic diet containing 58% fat. Perhaps unsurprisingly, after 8 weeks, the mice fed the obesogenic diet weigh about one-third more than those receiving normal chow. But strikingly, the obese mice had about 25% fewer taste buds than the lean mice, with no change in the average size or the distribution of the three cell types within individual buds.

>Obesity is known to be associated with a chronic state of low-grade inflammation, and adipose tissue produces pro-inflammatory cytokines -- molecules that serve as signals between cells -- including one called TNF-alpha. The authors found that the high-fat diet increased the level of TNF-alpha surrounding the taste buds; however mice that were genetically incapable of making TNF-alpha had no reduction in taste buds, despite gaining weight. Conversely, injecting TNF-alpha directly into the tongue of lean mice led to a reduction in taste buds, despite the low level of body fat.
Obese people are literally killing their tongues.

Attached: 94858_60_news_hub_multi_630x0.jpg (630x448, 49K)

Obese people are the only ones who would contest that they're not massively desensitised to food in general, and that regular people appreciate flavours and tastes much more

Nature's way of telling the fatties to stop eating. Unfortunately nature's got nothing on the mcchicken the best fast food sandwich.

So what? Then they should be able to eat bland lowcal food and enjoy it while losing weight.

Nah, if your senses are dulled you'll chase more intense stimuli to get the same pleasure that you're used to. You won't be satisfied with basic food, you'll want it to be even sweeter, saltier, and fattier.

This. Fatties crave the sugar, fat and salt fat more than trim people do. Fucked up taste buds would explain this.

That and the sensation of being full

Try going to a nice place with a fat fuck, especially one with multiple courses. The first course arrives and no matter how carefully you explain that there are like five more coming and they can always order more, they'll bitch and moan later about small portions and muh hungry

The idea of having a little food and then stopping to breathe and talk for a bit drives them into a blind panic

My sense of taste was pretty numb back when I ate a bunch of sugar and sodium.

As a former obese waste of potential, I can attest to this. Food is so much better now, and sweet/rich foods can only be tolerated in severe moderation. Life is so much better when you choose to stop being retarded.

I have been fat and am trim now. By bro is still fat. When I visit with him it's striking the difference in portion size between the two of us. His plate is really almost twice as much food as mine. I have an obese friend who has been pretty consistently ordering two entrees when he goes out to eat because that's what he needs to feel full.

> crave the sugar, fat and salt fat
And at some point it doesnt really matter how good these are as in the quality of the slob they are stuffing in their mouths, anything will do as long as that craving is satisfied.

I used to eat several packs of storebought cookies like oreos, chips, cinnamon buns etc a day when i was a fucking fatso on my way to meet my inner Amerilard but now i cant even tolerate that trash, if i have to eat something sweet i have to either make it myself or buy it from a decent bakery and even then i cant just gorge down, few bites and i'm satisfied.

Attached: 1424285541527.png (500x489, 53K)

>"Even My Tongue is Fat: The Story of Pawnee"

>eat fatty, salty foods
>can't taste much after
wow it's like I never noticed

>I used to eat several packs of storebought cookies like oreos, chips, cinnamon buns etc a day when i was a fucking fatso on my way to meet my inner Amerilard but now i cant even tolerate that trash
I hear you. Now I've been trim for a long enough time that I walk through the supermarket and look at all the shitty desserts and snack foods and wonder who the fuck buys that shit? Then I go to visit members of my family and see examples of that stuff in their kitchens, and I remember it used to be me just a decade ago. I've just been away from it for so long I forgot I used to eat like that. And that stuff is bad - not just unhealthy, but it doesn't taste good, either. Same thing I noticed when I stopped eating fast food. A lot of foods tailor made for fatty tastes don't taste good anymore once you're not a fatty.

>How Obesity Leads to Loss of Taste

Now you understand why 'Merican blacks always complain that "white people food has no flavor."

Attached: African American Obesity Epidemic - out of control.png (210x138, 6K)

I don't understand the rivalry between black and white americans, both of you are always trying to show off how much hot sauce you can "handle" dumped over your foul bachelor slop

But then when presented with food that contains actual flavors you make loud gagging noises and ask if it's going to give you food poisoning

You have everything in common with one another except your skin color, enough with the petty squabbling. It's holding you back as a people

Sincerely,

Asians

Attached: Beef-Rendang-Entertain-July-2016-Raya-Recipes-Reinvented.jpg (700x400, 1.04M)

>You have everything in common with one another except your skin color
Try getting a bone marrow transplant from a different ethnicity

>Sincerely,
>Asians

lol. I'm fucking chinese you tard. Why did you assume I was white?

>Fucked up taste buds would explain this.
That makes a whole lot of sense.

How does that little dick taste? Post peen.

absolutely.
i used to feel sensitive about eating "white people food" until i realized it was just a bunch of fat blacks with desensitized tastebuds.
boiled peas are absolutely delicious.