Sour Beers

So, I brought it up to the clerk at my local liquor store that they don't have any sour beers, and should get some, and he said to suggest some and they'll try and get some. I'm only tangentially familiar with sour beers, mostly getting them when I visit friends in a nearby city, so I had no names or brands off the top of my head. Later when I asked my city friend, he suggested Dutchess, but no more. So, what are some good sour beers I can suggest for my local packie to pick up? I'm in Northeast USA btw, if that matters.

Attached: Duchess-de-Bourgogne-sour-beer.jpg (236x458, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_breweries_in_California
brewbound.com/news/number-permitted-us-breweries-surpasses-7000-2016)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just start on any berliner weisse or gose, or a light crisp lambic... duchesse is jumping in at the deep end and tastes like balsamic vinegar gone bad

just add a splash of white vinegar to your poured beer
it's literally no different

If you're going to call it a packie you might aswell admit you're from massachusetts. That being said I too am looking for enjoyable sours, but god damn are they hard to find in local stores. Rodenbach classic is what sparked my interest in them, so I'd say give it a shot. Great Divide's Strawberry Rhubarb isn't bad either. If you enjoy the taste of sour patch kids Collective Arts Mash up the Jam might be worth trying. I know roughly dick all about beer though, so take this with a grain of salt as im sure these arnt super well rated on BA.

I didn't know Dutchess was considered a sour beer. I like it a lot but i don't know much about differnt types. does this count as a sour beer?

Attached: 1521474419606.jpg (1368x704, 369K)

bump

Many people of my favorite I love love this vinegar piss

could you elaborate on why you compared Mash up the Jam to sour patch kids?
i seek out drinks that actually taste like candy and this is brewed nearby but it's kinda a bitch to get to

It was the first thing I thought of when I originally drank it. I haven't had sour patch kids since last summer though so it might not be a 1:1

Dutchess and Rodenbach are both pretty good and can generally be found at specialty stores. If you get Sierra Nevada, try to find thier Catus Gose, that stuff is great and doesn't have the markup most sours have.

Short of that, your best bet is find a brewery that does sours and get a re-usable growler to fill regularly.

Lastly, make sure to ask around anytime you get beer. Most people have never even heard of sour ale and the more people that hear of it, the more will want to try it. You will be taking a small step towards fighting the cultural homgination that shoves pisswater in every store or bar.

Tfw it's such a pain in my ass to stick sours and no one tries the ones I do.

mash up the jam sounds kinda cool, imma check that out

>Homgination
Hahaha! Priceless advice from a 12 year old.

Do you know what a typo is edgelord?

yes that is definitely a sour beer

I do
>Dutchess
>Catus
are two more good examples. Furthermore, where do you live that "most people have never even heard of a sour ale"?

if you are in MA go to a store called the Craft Beer Cellar and ask an employee what's good. There are a bunch all over the state. They're pretty good in my experience.

If you ever see sour beers from Alvarado Street Brewing, get them. They very rarely disappoint.

Sick as a dog, excuse my typos. I live in Northern California.

Sour beers suck.
Taste like vomit.
Can't stand it.

Sour beers are as good as the above haiku.

Bel Air or Rheingeist

Fucking love them. Hard to get where I live, sadly, and way overpriced.

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René is a fairly common, reasonably priced one that's pretty good.

This has got to be bait. Someone, living in Northern California, saying things like . What a fucking joke you are.

this stuff is delicious

Attached: hanssens-artisanaal-oude-gueuze.jpg (800x600, 427K)

so is this

Attached: DSC_0704-1000x1000.jpg (1000x1000, 164K)

bump

How so? Am I just going to the wrong places or not talking to enough people?

Had this one today. Literally nectar of the gods.

Attached: aviary-image-1521718331708.jpg (1500x2000, 1.55M)

What's wrong with what he said? Sounds pretty typical.

Claims to be from NorCal. OK. Rather than doing the heavy lifting, I'll refer you both to:
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_breweries_in_California
Most have at least 1 sour beer in production. Do your homework. Figure out which ones do.

Now, let's consider the following statements made by user:
>Most people have never even heard of sour ale
>taking a small step towards fighting the cultural homgination that shoves pisswater in every store or bar

So, that brings us to the following points:
1) Literally lives in an epicenter of beer culture (and we're not even talking beers from Oregon or Washington making their way into NorCal),
2) The rest of the country is following along and producing new, NOT culturally "homginated" beers (given that nearly 7000 breweries were open/permitted in 2016: source: brewbound.com/news/number-permitted-us-breweries-surpasses-7000-2016)
3) What fucking bar/stores are you going to where your only choices are "pisswater"?

Hence, my commentary and opinion.

I'm also in NorCal and I agree with both you and him. I work at a place that does local wines and craft beers and we still get people coming in and asking for bud light, and a place we often feature from right down the road makes awesome sours. Pretty sure he wasn't talking about NorCal when he was talking about shitty beer culture.

if you're in norcal, these are the sour producers that make any sort of volume:

russian river
sante adairius
rare barrel
almanac

for the most part, all of these are good. TRB is pretty pricey, almanac is more affordable and available, sante beers tend to be my favorites. russian river is more oldschool, and hit or miss.

Add Alvarado Street

OP said they're located in the Northeast...

It tastes like alcohol what's the difference

to add, consider requesting belgian sours. some of the more popular/available ones are:

tilquin
fantome
cantillon
drie fonteinen
boon

If you're legitimately interested in expanding your horizons on sour beers, download UnTappd to your phone. You can search for specific beers, breweries, and venues. You can also generate a wish list for specific beers that will alert you any time that beer is put onto draft at a restaurant/bar associated with Untappd.

>Duchesse de Bourgogne
My nigga

Ah, ok, I understand where you are coming from now. My point was not that the people who take time to do research do not know about sour ales as much as the bulk of the beer buying public here still does not know about sour ales. Despite being in a pretty good place for it. But by talking about it more, you get the word out and (hopefully,) eventually getting sours more readily available for all of us.

Dogfish Head's Seaquench is like a babby's first sour beer.It's very nice,

bump

Attached: sourmonkey.jpg (1800x1200, 507K)