When Brits do the dishes after cooking a meal, do they really refer to the dish soap as "washing up liquid...

When Brits do the dishes after cooking a meal, do they really refer to the dish soap as "washing up liquid," or is it another one of those "cold on the cob" fake Britslang things?

Attached: Doing-the-dishes.jpg (500x418, 116K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=a4-CcJBYBns
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I thought they just bin their dishes

Washing up liquid or fairy liquid

it's very much real

Had no idea that Yanks didn't say washing up liquid.

Too many syllables.

Agreed, really common usage over in UK.
No one seems to use the term dish soap here.

Not sure what you mean by "Cold on the cob" though... That's a new one to me.

>fairy up liquid
ftfy

>brits insult how americans talk ever
lmao

>washing up liquid

one wonders how they managed to hold a global empire together

that explains the aluminium thing

Attached: vhgfgh.jpg (540x720, 81K)

Just to give some context, fairy liquid is one of the most popular brands of dish soap in the UK so it's become a synonym for dish soaps in general.

Kinda like people referring to any cola as Coke

Attached: 309610-Fairy-Original-750ml.jpg (800x800, 68K)

This. No worse than calling tissues Kleenex.

It's a liquid you use to do the pots. How is this weird?

It’s baby talk, like most British vernacular.

Southerners are stupid because they’re all descended from people who came from the British isles.

no

Oh do you rinse after washing the dishes or just let them dry with soapy water on them?

>My heritage is akshually British :)

Attached: 1519576515388.jpg (650x488, 35K)

Tfw most southern states whites are technically a minority.

Lrn2 geography USAfag, Mexico and Africa aren't part of the UK...

Attached: a53.jpg (500x333, 32K)

>bandaid
>chapstick

No, my ancestors came over from Hesse in the 1870s, which is why I’m not an Anglo retard.

My heritage is GERMAN. Do you hear me? GERMAN. My gramps totally betrayed the white race, 14/88! Hitler was actually right all along. Have I told you about my heritage yet? Those damned brits...

Attached: 1510495082867.jpg (1024x1559, 334K)

I’m obviously talking about white Southerners, all of whom have Anglo and Gaelic surnames. They took the British inbreeding ball and ran with it. And if their British genetics are irrelevant because they were born in America, then that must mean the Paki genetics of every disgusting Muzzy born in England are irrelevant, and they’re just as British as Nigel and Ethan.

Aha

Attached: 956de9m3sog01.jpg (1200x655, 116K)

I guess that means that all of those Somalians born in Sweden are no different from white Swedes, right?

Sorry, but yes.
Btw your toad in a hole is getting cold.

i think it's weird to call it "dish soap". soap is something you put on your body. dish soap is a detergent

My family is 100% German and I can trace all of them back to the same village. My grandmother was raised speaking German in America and never became fluent in English.

When Brits clean dishes after dinner we refer to it as 'washing up', therefore the soap we use is called 'washing up liquid'. 'Washing up' is no stranger than 'doing the dishes'.

The toast sandwich isn't a real meal, it was mentioned in a weird recipe book but never commonly eaten. Stargazy pie is a real meal but hasn't been commonly eaten since the 19th century. Jellied Eels are a real meal but haven't been common since the 1950's. Black pudding is real, still popular today and delicious.

All soaps are detergents.

shit you got me

We call it dish soap

Apart from Coronation street, EastEnders, Emmerdale and the like...

Whole different usage

....wait, why the fuck am I in an etymological debate on a cooking board anyway?

Do British people really wash up with Danny Dyer?

No,

He leaves greasy streaks on the glassware and all your food just tastes like disappointment afterwards

youtube.com/watch?v=a4-CcJBYBns

Opra' AHHHHS

>all your food just tastes like disappointment
seems par for the course as far as brit cuisine goes

Go home hank.
your burger and "fries" are getting cold

>he thinks I'm american

swing and a miss ol' feller :^)

>Jellied Eels are a real meal but haven't been common since the 1950's

LOL

>brit cuisine

Brits dont have "cuisine" just traditional fodder.

They actually cook very well, when emulating the cuisines of other nations but their indigenous recipes are inedible.

It's been adapted now using those other cuisines techniques and methods. Some decent starred British restaurants now. British home cooking is still garbage though.

>Some decent starred British restaurants now

Undoubtedly, serving other nation's cuisines. Bong food is disgusting, truly vile.

No... I said British restaurants. Learn to read.

You mean French fries and Hamburgers, or "frikadellen" as the Germans call them?

Ah no then. All bong fodder is vile. Just grease and stodge, wouldn't feed an animal on the shit those cucks eat. Truly, truly filthy people.

Only poor people do dishes, most have a dish washer. I assume they must have these in US? Or do you just use Mexicans?

That sounds really incestuous.

I call it fairy up liquid

Yes from when you had a single bar of soap in your home, it washed the dishes, your clothing, your arse, your hair, and the floor—in no particular order...

Fairy is a brand, but its still washing up liquid.

Aw man, now you've made me want toad in the hole. Why must you torment me!

>gastropub
>digestive biscuit
Why does England have such fucking retarded names for their food and food "culture"

I've read the entire thread now and seriously do they really call it washing up liquid, I can't tell.

I know, it's pretty ironic, they talk like fucking children

yea

>mfw Americans call bubbly scrubbly soap and grope "washing dishes"

Attached: 1515908073018.jpg (680x383, 26K)

Yes, it's washing up liquid. Liquid you use to do the washing up.

those don't strike me as remotely retarded

Bong here, there's no such thing as cold on the cob

So I guess the Civil War wasn't the only time Europe got their ass kicked by African migrants.

Yep, it's washing up liquid. Or we just say the brand

Kek

>American for 4 generations
You're not fucking German then are you mate

we also call the 'fire appliance' as fire truck

Who the fuck is still hand washing dishes in 2018?

>British home cooking is still garbage though.
If you mean the average British home cook is shit, then yes. But there are plenty of people here who are actually good at cooking traditional British food, which can actually be amazing. Heston is a great example.

I'm 60 years old

I do my pots and pans by hand.

Always said washing up liquid

>aunt has five kids
>she is a full stay-at-home mum
>literally unable to cook anything beyond frozen oven stuff
>frozen pizza, frozen chips, frozen peas and sweetcorn, frozen chicken nuggets, frozen breaded fish/meat
>unable to cook anything that requires any technique or fresh ingredients, beyond maybe toast
>the kids have all developed extreme picky eating habits and won't even touch anything that isn't on the list above
the home cooking problem is definitely real

Attached: ramsay.png (300x291, 117K)

You can't act like this isn't a huge problem across the US too. The difference is the US is such a large country that there are still pockets of culture dotted around with people who have inherited decent cooking practices from their foreign parents and grandparents. We only have the Indians and Pakis who are only just beginning to integrate with this generation, and the Europeans who have yet to begin integrating and passing on their cuisine. The US was built on immigration and diversity while Britain has remained largely anglo for most of its recent history.

Do they not have those in the US? We say both of those in Canada.

You mean fire apparatus. A truck has a ladder on it.

we def. say gasropub in usa. and all grocery stores do have digestive biscuits

Ausfag reporting in. Thought the same too.

Don't do the second one around Asians or they'll chimp out.

Most people, because unless you're shit at life it's faster and cleaner than the dishwasher.

>which can actually be amazing.

It is universally shit. Britbings eat shit, no exceptions. The full lard breakfast, the Sunday meat bake, the wrap a turd in pastry, the lard paste tubes and mash.. Filth.

You can't sanitize dishes in a sink like a dishwasher does. Civilized people clean all the visible food off their dishes and silverware, and then run them through the dishwasher.

Pots/pans/knives/anything wooden gets hand washed. Everything else goes in dishwasher.