Is there a bigger fraud in the culinary world? People meme on Jiro but this guy is just a scam artist

Is there a bigger fraud in the culinary world? People meme on Jiro but this guy is just a scam artist.

youtube.com/watch?v=wqDaZsgR5zg

Attached: 1516678393530.jpg (1920x1080, 99K)

What’s the scam? He cooks food and people eat it, what’s fraudulent about that?

I would do unspeakable things to his wife while he watched.

This, he may pretentious about his cooking but no scam to be seen

If you take this view, chefs can't be scammers unless they're serving "authentic" Kobe beef or something. What he's doing (and Jiro, for that matter) is still a confidence scheme.

He portrays himself as a genius and people are taken in by the act so they're happy to part with their $300 or whatever it is for a taste culinary brilliance. But the truth is that they're eating poorly cooked eggs with odd tasting herbs.

How does he portray himself as a genius?

>He portrays himself as a genius
What? Just opening a restaurant or having standards doesn't mean this you know.

Attached: 1521389709422.jpg (763x771, 60K)

How many times have you eaten there?
Why did you feel scammed?
Oh, wait......

You're right, it doesn't come across in the video. But if you read his book "Noma: Time and Place in Nordic Cuisine" you will see what I mean.

Is the title intended to remind you of "TARDIS: Time And Relative Dimension In Space"?

They're both great dude, sorry you can't afford it

>standards

Forced exclusivity combined with eccentricity is not a standard, it's a mechanism to angle in the jetset foodies. It's not a risk free trick or easy to pull off, but it's a trick nonetheless. Hell, Jiro probably didn't even consciously try to do it ... he's just that autistic.

You need a basic level of quality/consistency and good marketing to pull it off, but once you do you're the emperor with no clothes. You'll be portrayed as better simply for being more exclusive.

I respect someone like Masaharu Morimoto more than Jiro. Someone like Ramsey more than Redzepi. Delivering quality to as wide an audience as possible is a greater achievement than upselling to jetsetters.

And so you lay bare the fact that all your knowledge of food comes from tv chefs.

>confidence scheme
Isn't that practically all super-expensive restaurants though? e.g., paying 300 bucks for a steak just because a fancy pretentious chef says that's how much it's worth really isn't that much different from Redzepi's eggs.

i always hated the idea of "the customer cooks the food" like those hot rock steak places. why the hell would i pay five times as much for a meal that i cook myself, when i can just as easily make at home? i don't go to a restaurant to cook eggs or steak, unless i'm getting paid for it.

At least by taking modernist cuisine to its logical extreme, he seems to have triggered the decline of that whole fad

>you have to try their food to know if it is good or not

DUDE LETS BARBECUE SOME LEAFS

you have to understand these are people so rich that doing anything with their hands is a novelty to them

Salt Bae

They both have a bunch of quality restaurants and were chef's at quality class restaurants before they got on TV. In Ramsey's case one of the greatest collections of quality restaurants in history. To put down Ramsey as merely a TV chef is fucking retarded.

Jiro and Redzepi are just as much media whores as either of them ... but they sell mystique as a marketing tool. Ramsey and Morimoto are entertainers for the masses, while delivering quality food in their restaurants without artificial exclusivity.

I have more respecting for craftsmen, than "artists" who target the rich.

I didn’t say Ramsay was merely a tv chef, I said all your knowledge of this subject comes from tv, and so your understanding is shaped by factors that have nothing to do with the quality of the food itself - and you’re forming biases on very limited information.

What does their quality have to do with the artifice of their marketing?

What kind of retarded question is that? Your whole point is about redzepi being deceptive about the quality of his food.

Right, so again, what does the quality of their food have to do with the quality of their marketing?

You tell me you dumb fuck. Where are you going with this?

That it has nothing to do with the quality of the food you moron.

people taste the food you absolute imbicile.

not everyone lives in their mom's basement for their entire lives. some people actually go to restaurants instead of watching videos about them

So? I never praised their marketing.

Do you even know what a confidence scheme is? When done properly, the mark doesn't even know that he's been scammed. Same thing here. They're so convinced of his talent that he could serve up ape faeces on a plate and they would go home happy.

Have I eaten a fried egg before?
Yeah, once or twice.

This guy is legit and original but he spawned a bunch of shitty impersonators.