Which one do you use for general use most

Which one do you use for general use most

Santoku or Chefs?

Attached: misono-ux10-vs-santoku.jpg (499x333, 131K)

I have both and both are equally sharp so I use both equally

use da choppa

Attached: knoife.jpg (680x510, 57K)

I prefer the chef’s knife - more versatile

What can it do that the santoku can't?

chinese meme is actually my favourite

Attached: 71po4FIoKBL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1071, 96K)

Niggers.

I don't like having both because then i find myself over thinking their uses.
I prefer santoku only because I've been using one for years but unless you're a pro chef making hundreds of different plates a day, you're never gonna be in a situation where the other knife would have been better.

What qualities does the santoku have that the chef's is missing? Everyone always says "it's good for chopping vegetables", but so is a chef's knife.

Santoku is great for limited space, when you are afraid of big pointy knives (i.e. you are a woman) or when you want to chop onions. Chopping onions is the one thing santokus are really good for, because for that you need to work with the tip a lot which is much easier with a short knife. But unlike a petty knife a santoku has enough knuckle clearance for work on the board and the blade is also wide enough for scooping up the diced onion.

See

Also a santoku’s blade profile is flatter making it good for cutting veg because you can more efficiently push cut with that flat profile as opposed to the belly of a chef knife. The belly of that chef knife is better suited for rocking, the type of cut you will typically apply on proteins or anything hard I. E. Not vegetables.

A push chop is more efficient than a rocking chip because you’re only making one directional cut, as opposed to the blade essentially rolling over the item and making a series of radial directed cuts with rocking. If you’re cutting hundreds to thousands of veg, you will slow yourself significantly by rocking instead of a chop with a flat blade.

The benefit of rocking the blade therein being leverage

>a santoku’s blade profile is flatter making it good for cutting veg because you can more efficiently push cut with that flat profile as opposed to the belly of a chef knife

I hear what you're saying, but I unironically walk into work 5-6 days a week with pic related in my bag and cut tons of vegetables using a simple push cut without issue; well, the only real issue is slicing up bunches of green onions, but you get used to it pretty fast.

Attached: coltello-cuoco-global-g-2-20-33cm-104995[1].jpg (1200x706, 47K)

>The benefit of rocking the blade therein being leverage
There is no leverage because there is no fulcrum.

Rock chopping paired with blades with bellies have the advantage that all the downward force you exert is concentrated onto the tiny spot where the blade contacts the board. If you add in the forward and backward sliding motion of normal rock chopping that means you can cut pretty much anything, even with a comparatively blunt blade. Which is the state most cheap European knives are usually in, sadly.

Blades with flatter profiles like French or Japanese gyutos rely much more on push- or pull cutting motions and have to be sharper.

I feel like you're both agreeing with that user and missing his point. If all the force is concentrated in a tiny spot then you need to rock the knife in order to cut through anything wider than that spot, and I think his point was that rocking the knife takes a whole lot more of effort than a straight cut.

Personally, I'd say that the difference between the two really comes from just using your wrist for the one, and moving your entire arm when you rock the knife. The latter definitely has more force, but I'd also argue that it's less strenuous.

>The latter definitely has more force, but I'd also argue that it's less strenuous.
That would be two advantages - you meant more strenuous I presume.

Arguing about it is pretty moot IMHO, because it mostly depends on the stuff you need to cut - once it exceed a certain size you need to lift the blade off the board anyway, even if you wield a 10" blade. If the produce is flat and low rock chopping can work pretty well, especially if the produce is on the firmer side (like slices of celerica or turnips) and achieving precision is also easier with rock chopping I have found.

>you meant more strenuous I presume

No, I meant less strenuous. It's like trying to whisk something just using your wrist instead of distributing the work to your elbow and shoulder.

Then you should have said "... AND I argue ..." instead of " .... BUT I argue ..." Easy to misunderstand otherwise.

Yeah, I see how my grammar wasn't great. Sometimes I don't reread what I post because I can still beat recaptcha.

I did NOT fucking believe the captchas could get worse

I've found that if it asks for a bridge you can always hit "skip" because they apparently have no idea how to identify a bridge yet.

Chef as I don't have a Santoku.
I do have a Chinese blade though, but that's mostly for fun and easy veggie scooping. As it's in many ways the same as a santoku, I think I can safely say I don't see the point of using one. If those dimples actually worked, maybe, but they don't.

Get a Veeky Forums pass guys. I recently had to because - of a country- or IP ban - and I feel it was well worth the money. Cant imagine having to solve a shitty captcha for every post anymore.

Not him but the length makes it easier for cutting stuff like say, watermelon. Nothing wrong with an santoku but, hey, sometimes you need a long knife.

I don't get it. Solving capchas is half the fun of Veeky Forums.

Attached: 1453838786235.jpg (500x500, 27K)