Can you give me tips for making a great Wiener Schnitzel? I guess the most important thing is to get quality meat...

Can you give me tips for making a great Wiener Schnitzel? I guess the most important thing is to get quality meat, but how do I bread and prepare it?

Also, what ist the best side to go with it?

Attached: wienerschnitzel.jpg (424x283, 84K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tGoDlBAzJIY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Dont cheap out on the fat when baking it, its closer to deep frying than normal pan frying.
In my country the breading can be bought in the store, but if i had to make that myself my best guess would be cubing some buns and drying them on the lowest heat in my oven, put result into ziplock and roll over that with something. Dont forget to atleast put salt and pepper in your breading, if you want to try varietys, i would start with differing spices in the breading instead of sauces.
Make sure your fat is really hot

In my opinion Calf > Pork

1. It's only a Wiener Schnitzel if you are using calf meat, otherwise it's "Schnitzel Wiener Art"
2. Use butterfly cut, it should be roughtly 4 mm thin. Remember to beat it slightly
3. Please don't fuck up the breading. It's flour-egg-breadcrumbs, don't press the breadcrumbs onto the meat. Bread it slightly before throwing it into a pan to get the best result
4. Make it swim in clarified butter on a pan ~170 degrees Celius warm, the breading should be loose

I am 100% behind this guy

beat the meat very thin to get a nice and crispy schnitzel

Attached: klopfer.jpg (492x492, 16K)

I agree that veal is the correct meat for Wiener Schnitzel. However one thing I noticed abroad was that the kind of meat they sell as veal is often quite a bit darker, almost like beef, than the kind you get in Austria. I guess this depends on when the calves are slaughtered.

If you can't find veal like pic related I'd rather suggest to get pork loin and butterfly it. It won't be a true Wiener Schnitzel, but pork is the most popular meat used for Schnitzel by far.

Also the classic side dish to Schnitzel is potato salad.

Attached: 205001885-keule-fleisch-kalbfleisch-roh-zutat.jpg (960x540, 42K)

>Also the classic side dish to Schnitzel is potato salad.
I second that, but make that bavarian potato salad, with just onions, stock, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. No mayo!

t. Bavarian

And here is how Figlmüller's make their Schnitzel. They are probably one of the three or four most renowned Schnitzel restaurants in Vienna.

youtube.com/watch?v=tGoDlBAzJIY

I eat my schnitzel with paprika sauce, spaetzle, an red cabbage. fite me

Why dont you add some avocado and some Sriracha too, you fucking Philistine?

Yeah, that's the best way to make potato salad. I think adding mustard helps flavor wise.

paparika schnitzel best schnitzel, and then you use the spaetzle to soak up the extra sauce
this image is actually an example of terrible schnitzel, spaetzle, and cabbage, but you get the idea

Attached: o.jpg (1000x747, 88K)

Nothing wrong with adding some mustard.

I am a Bavarian/Silesian mutt and I have to admit the Silesian style potato salad my mother learned to make from her grandmother is still better. It is basically 2/3 boiled diced potatos, 1/3 peeled and diced sweet apples, diced pickles and hard boiled eggs and whole pickled pearl onions. That stuff is absolutely mouth watering.

Oh, I thought you meant you eat breaded Wiener Schnitzel with Paprikasoße and Spätzle. The kind of Schnitzel dish in the pic is OK.

yeah, just flour, no egg or breadcrumb

Panko makes it better.

Attached: 91AvSNrd-2L._SL1500_.jpg (1247x1500, 308K)

I spent several years cooking schnitzel in a very popular restaurant, I'll help you out.
People had a choice of ordering veal, pork, or chicken schnitzel, but if I were you, I'd go with pork. Veal is delicious, but it's fairly expensive, and I don't know if you'd want to spend the kind of money it will take to get a thick enough veal cutlet to pound out. At the restaurant (And now, I do the same thing at home), I cut 1 1/2 inch thick cutlets from a whole boneless pork loin. It's worth it to buy a whole one and size your own cutlets. You can freeze extras for later use.
>pound out your cutlets till very thin and large. Thin enough that you're afraid if you pound them any thinner, they'll tear.
>tear up some good, white bread and pulse in a food processor or blender until you have crumbs. Make sure you have enough, you don't want to run short. Put the crumbs in a shallow dish large enough to hold the schnitzel. Toss in some salt and pepper. You could also add a little paprika, but not too much, you don't want to over color the breading.
>crack several eggs into another shallow dish and add a big splash of milk, and mix well.
>dip your schnitzel in the egg mixture, then place in the breadcrumbs and pat to coat, making sure every area is well coated.
>set schnitzels aside while you heat your pan, this will allow the breadcrumbs to bond to the meat.
>heat enough clarified butter in a pan big enough to comfortably hold one schnitzel at a time. The clarified butter should be about 1/2 inch in depth.
>once your clarified butter is hot enough (you can test it by frying a cube of bread), gently lay your first schnitzel in the pan. Cook until golden brown and crispy on one side, then turn using tongs and cook the other side. Remove from pan and place on a wire rack over a baking sheet in the oven. The oven should be heated to 225F to keep the schnitzel hot while you fry the others.

>>continued

>Use a mesh skimmer to remove debris from the pan between schnitzels.
>serve schnitzels with lemon wedges (Remove seeds), as is traditional. Or you can make a mushroom sauce (jagerschnitzel), a pepper and onion sauce (paprikaschnitzel), serve topped with a fried egg, capers, anchovies, lemon and parsley (Holstein schnitzel). I prefer traditional weinerschnitzel or Holstein schnitzel myself.

Not OP, but many thanks cookfriend.

Wait, so you cut almost 4cm thick cutles and pound the shit out of them? No butterly no nothing? How the hell is that supposed to work?

Good post. Everyone on Veeky Forums could make a shnitzel now (and several different types) if they had the motivation to waddle out of their mom's bf's basement, go to the grocery and turn on a burner.

>how does that work?
It's called a meat mallet and elbow grease, silly. There's no reason at all to butterfly them.

Thanks for the quality post

Attached: 1420327181321.gif (352x326, 2.1M)

wow thank you user

Bumping for quality thread.
Also, cookbro, if you're still around, what sides did you serve with schnitzel?

Not that guy, but we usually eat schnitzel with either spaetzle or pan fried potatoes, plus a green salad or cucumber salad. But some people I know like eating red cabbage with it instead of salad.

I already need a massive pan for one schnitzel, how am I supposed to fry potatoes too?

in a separate pan?

make spaetzle instead

be sure that you make it clear you're making a Schnitzel, not a pork tenderloin, otherwise Veeky Forums will throw a bitchfit about flyovers.

What if I'm making a torta milanesa? Or chicken parmigiana?

>hurrr if only there were books of recipes somewhere everyone would be able to cook food

go fuck yourself hipster twat

My point is that various countries pound meat thin, bread it, and fry, and they all have their own names for it.