ITT

Expensive food you have never tried. Those who had can comment on experience

Attached: 2422_1_.jpg (900x900, 85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

g.co/kgs/S2eLX3
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Tastes like salted jelly

Attached: Truffe_noire_du_Périgord[1].jpg (800x600, 188K)

foie gras
white truffle of alba
caviar
jamon iberico de bellota
that's it
they are all amazing and worth the price every once in a while

There are thousands of expensive foods that I have never tried.

>shark fin soup
>ortolan bunting
>amethyst bamboo salt
>lion meat
>pufferfish
>that one bird nest made out of saliva that people eat for some reason
>hundred year aged balsamic
>moose cheese
>panda dung tea
>Japanese white meme strawberries

Just off the top of my head.

>panda dung tea
kopi luwak coffee?

you can get salmon roe pretty cheap and it tastes about the same.

No that is horrible advice. Salmon roe is much larger than caviar. Get tobiko from your local Asian grocer instead.

Oh hell no. Salmon roe is okay as a topping for certain foods, but it's NOTHING like real Caspian beluga or even American ostetra.
Tobiko? Seriously? That's a fucking condiment.

I accidentally bought this from a vietnamese grocery and it's been sitting in the back of my fridge for four years.

Attached: nuoc yen.jpg (206x245, 13K)

Open it

lol, you triggered a bunch of fish egg lovers. nice!

user...

Dekopon. cant find it in the uk

>shark fin soup
tastes more like the other ingredients. sharks fin has no taste. the texture is like a fibrous mushroom. its expensive only because of chinese tradition. youre not missing out much.

birds nest soup. basically just rock sugar+ water +birds saliva. the saliva has no taste, it has a squishy texture. youre not missing out much again

> Japanese white meme strawberries
ok this is fucking nice tho and pretty

I've had salted truffle chips/crisps. Tastes a bit like Asian mushroom and mild onion.

31 years old.

Never had lobster. Not knowingly.

Tastes like a meatier, drier, less sweet version of crab. Definitely tasty but overrated.

rodent shit coffee.

nip meme beef

The only seafood vr ever had was fish sticks when I was a small child. What am I missing?

It's overrated. If you buy it in a restaurant, the amount of meat you get from a whole lobster will never be justified by how much you paid. It's also nothing special in taste, unless you make it into a tuna salad-esque meal.

Eat mussels, that's the tastiest shit.

tasty dirt, almost like the smell after it rains in a forest or something

the best class of protein out there

disagree with this so much.
caviar,foie gras an truffle is never worth the price.

Worms and mercury.

Don't go out of your way, you aren't missing anything

Foie isn't that expensive and neither are black truffles when you consider the quantities normally consumed. White truffles will rape your wallet, that's true

Caviar I agree on, although I do enjoy it as long as someone else paid for it

foie is just straight up shit and truffles aren't anything special so why pay for those when you can get better tasting stuff for cheaper.

>foie is just straight up shit

Really? You know how i know youve never had A grade foie?

>seared
>patè
>torchon
>pickled
>all kinds of dessert applications
>all kinds of sauce applications

God's gift to earth.

Spread that shit on a piece of toast, with some crème fraîche and chopped onions - hnng.

It may be expensive, but combine it with the right things, and you won't be disappointed.

>ortolan bunting
i love salmon roe. nice and big and they pop and youg et that salty fishy taste

You're dumb

These, a lot of these things are a fucking letdown for sure. Up in Maine I handed a guy 5 in cash at the harbor for a lobster I picked, literally took it off the boat, that shit is 10/10 and easily fucking worth. In another context, like paying 5-10 an ounce at some "fancy" restaurant for shitty fucking Canadian lobster? Miss me with that bullshit.

Caviar is another thing that generally shouldn't cost that much, it's kind of like the pig's thigh bone, but with fish. In the sense that if you're in down town new york, you're probably paying 20-30 dollars for that shit, because someone has to bring it there and stock it, an it's a niche item they're not moving a lot of. However, I can just walk into my local butcher and get one for free, because they process a shitload of pigs there and nobody wants them. Again it's just supply and demand, rare != good, but it does equal expensive.

Fresh caviar is pretty good, same with lobster, lobster bisque is great.

>(((White)))

Ftfy

Unless you actually see a raw nest being cooked, all you get from those canned ones are just watery syrup.

Foie tastes like buttery corn/potatoe

>free pig bones
plz tell me you make dank pork stock all the time

>paddlefish

Attached: ba44bd2117bec1d2d360682b0cf150ab-awkward-photos-funny-pics.jpg (675x491, 31K)

huh?

Literally 100% fat. Just cut a big portion of fat off a ribeye, and take a bite. It's that.

I prefer lean cuts, but my girlfriend likes fat and loved it. She says it was the best steak she ever had. Just depends on your preference.

Attached: 20170929_180637.jpg (4160x2080, 3.59M)

Alba truffle smells like piss and tastes like any other truffle

It was salty and kinda fishy. It was alright.

>my gf said it was the beat she ever had
That might mean something if she's eaten many steaks
I've known a few people who liked something simply because it cost a lot; order this shit at a kbbq joint and cook it rare, and eat said unrendered fats with a smile on their face
That said no offense to either meat, just the consumer

Caviar is definitely more of a supply than demand issue, but if you can adapt to it it’s pretty good although the cost isn’t worth it. I live in Florida so grey mullet roe is much cheaper than elsewhere during December making it absolutely choice, although it isn’t really caviar per say. Foie gras is worth the price when buying direct but restaurants where I live tend to use absolute shit tier product. Now a real classic product would in my opinion be high quality country ham sold on the bone. Benton’s country ham has reopened after a fire and 70 dollars for 15 lbs of meat that has been aged just under a year is well worth the price. Legit a months worth of breakfast with eggs, but the real value is that it holds for multiple months and can be consumed rather sparingly. I’m also going to hazard that for the price this beats prosciutto.

I've never tried Dom Perigion or Crystal champagne and always herd they're "not worth the money."

Anybody ever blow $$$ on a bottle and was it worth it?

Attached: How Blacks Show Off.png (500x499, 377K)

with truffles its more about the smell witch is goat (some people hate it) its really earthy and rich idk with what to compare it to
where i live white truffle pasta costs like 25-35 euros and black about 15-20
whats the cost in the USA?

>Benton’s country ham
Probably the best cured ham you can get in the US but objectively it really does pale in comparison with a european spanish or italian cured ham.

Japan's Georgia Coffee. From what I understand it's absolutely amazing.

I've never had sushi.

not champagne, but years ago a friend of mine was given Johnny Walker Blue as a gift and I had a couple glasses. I certainly wouldn't pay for it, 2bh.

Tried this. Low acidity and sweet taste. Tested like normal coffee with creamer and sugar, but watery consistency of black coffee.

Not bad by any means but I'd still prefer plain black coffee.

Blended is never as good as single malt desu.

Huh?

save up for your first time. go to a nice place, preferably a place that does omakase. I know too many people who had shitty cafeteria or chinese takeout joint "sushi" and then decided they hate it. In the west, it's really kind of a higher end food so its better to shell out some more cash for a good experience.

That's a very comfy smell desu.

It's good, but not worth the price. Even at the grocery store. Granted, I live in the midwest, not on the coasts. It may be a lot better fresh.

My friend's dad let me try from a $200 bottle of Irish whiskey one time. It was delicious, but, given that I drink in significant quantity, I'd never risk buying that and accidentally drinking too much when fucked up. Definitely not worth it, though.

kys

>I know too many people who had shitty cafeteria or chinese takeout joint "sushi" and then decided they hate it.
I love Chinese buffet sushi, but never have been to a true sushi restaurant. It's on a list of places I'd like to go sometime.

Never had true traditional balsamic vinegar that comes in those distinctively shaped bottles.

Attached: aceto-balsamico-tradizionale-di-modena-dop-affinato-11-1.jpg (465x542, 106K)

Balsamic vinegar is fucking amazing with house made bread at nice Italian restaurants

I can't imagine "fish eggs" taste good, just seems gross

lmaoing @ ur life poor fags

Kopi Luwak g.co/kgs/S2eLX3

Attached: IMG_2267.jpg (533x800, 89K)

Pretty accurate. Salted jelly bubbles. It pops under your teeth or when squeezed by tongue, which is kinda funny (but not unpleasant) feeling, the flavor is quite mild, slightly fishy but generally "cold and wet" is definitely dominating over any actual *flavor*.

Definitely not worth the hype. Could be a kids food if it was sweet&fruity instead of salty&fishy, but as I said, the flavor is very weak.

Had them a few times, never really found them noticeable in the slightest to be honest, basically same to me as if the dish hadn't had any.
I also don't have a sense of smell and others are saying its mostly about the smell so that might be why

Not overly expensive if you just get a small amount. Very good grated into risotto, tastes earthy and lovely.

Fugu
I'm surpirsed that nobody mentioned that yet.

lol looks like a nutsac

>eating shit

Attached: op the retardinho.jpg (473x473, 368K)

I've never had real crab. I've always wanted to get a bucket of alaskan king crab legs and go to town but I live in flyover nowhere so it's like fucking $50, and I know it's not THAT good

Yeah I've heard that USDA Prime is far better for an actual steak because the intramuscular fat content of Matsusaka/Kobe beef is so overwhelmingly high, kinda like drinking straight drink flavoring concentrate instead of diluting it with water. Japanese meme beef is usually served sliced thin in sukiyaki for exactly that reason

I get that Italians feed the pigs a particular diet that simply isn’t available in the states, but for the price point benton beats everything else you can get shipped in.

Crab is significantly better and a bit cheaper.

It's deluxe shit, you're just mad that you can't afford it.

Foie Gras is incredibly rich, less like meat and more like a very buttery pate, with a nutty flavour. It's pretty good honestly.

Foie gras is delicious meat butter. But highly depends on how it's made

Iberico Ham.
I just can't imagine it's worth the expense

I buy some once a year or so along with some jamon serrano, chorizo, morcilla, etc. It's not something that's worth doing on a regular basis, but as a special holiday treat it's definitely worth it.

>eating-shit.j-
Wait, I think I have this one.

Yep, here we go. This is you.

Attached: eatingshit.png (575x709, 366K)

Foie gras tastes like high grade liverwurst. More fat and a milder, more delicious taste, smoother mouthfeel. Great with french bread or crackers. You can get a quarter pound of foie gras for about 7 bucks if you live in a decent-sized city.

You might want to discuss this with your doctor.

he might just be black

Depends on the preparation but it is an acquired taste for sure. In the Mediterranean regions for example bottarga instead of caviar reigns supreme equally expensive but as I am a med (greekfag) I do like it a lot (Greek version is called avgotaraho and its whole flathead mullet ovaries encased in beeswax. I also enjoy tarrama salata (grey mullet or carp or cod roe blended with bread or potatoes onion and lemon juice until creamy eaten on bread or by dipping raw cucumbers and tomatoes). Truffles have a really awesome smell. Russian king crab is also quite a delicacy but way to expensive to actually enjoy (about 40 euros for 200grms)

Attached: avgotarracho1-thumb-large.jpg (620x414, 24K)

I tried this, not intentionally though, my house is infested with mice.
Tastes bad man.

1) is $50 everywhere that's not alaska
2) it is that good.

once a year i go to vegas and binge for a few days at the buffet for like $40/meal. i only eat crab legs, prime rib and desserts.

Where do I even buy caviar? What's the cheapest type? I don't want to shell out too much so do you think I should just purchase salmon roe or something instead?

Attached: .png (1409x779, 199K)

Shark fin tastes nothing, its texture is like a thicker and firmer cellophane noodles. The soup taste like chicken broth and sometimes they put crab meat in it. They prepare the soup like a goopy thick snot. Its expensive since its usually served at weding dinners. It's not worth the price it imo.