How do you cook balut?

Can you co/ck/s tell me the proper way to cook balut? I accidentally bought a bunch of fertilized duck eggs from my local Asian market, and I'd rather they not go to waste.

Once I realized what I had, I went ahead and boiled one up and ate it. It wasn't bad, but the white part was really tough, which I understand means that it was overcooked.
Advice?

Attached: 9103467843_2b39b27373_b.jpg (1010x1024, 271K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/C1EwhDGdv14
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

fuck it and tell me if its awwwright

It's a fertilized duck egg. It's already been fucked.

>step one: get a pot
>step two: get a steaming basket
>step four: put egg in basket
>step five: put small amount of water in pot so it’s around 1cm shallow
>step six: put basket in pot
>step seven: turn on heat, let it boil, and cover pot
>step eight: mastrubate to Catriona Gray for 15 minutes
>step nine: get the eggs out if basket
>step ten: fucking kill yourself for being so fucking retarded to not know how to do such a simple thing

So I should put the egg in with the cold water, bring it up to a boil, and then start the timer for 15 minutes? Or do I start the timer when I start the heat? Be specific! These things matter user...

Come on user...you can do better.

Your reading comprehension is awful. You steam the egg. You don't put the egg in the water.

I know that. My question is about the timing. When do I start the 15 minute timer?

Once you have steam going.

this ought to be self-evident; if you started the timer at any other point then it wouldn't be an accurate representation of the cooking time. You want the egg in the hot steam for 15 minutes.

I usually cook it tong zi dan-style (in virgin boy urine).

>step four: put egg in basket
>step five: put small amount of water in pot so it’s around 1cm shallow
>step six: put basket in pot
>step seven: turn on heat, let it boil, and cover pot
>step eight: mastrubate to Catriona Gray for 15 minutes

You said to put the egg in the basket, put the basket in the pot, turn on the heat, and cook for 15 minutes

With retarded instructions like that, you don't get to pull the "self-evident" shit. When boiling eggs, some people put the eggs in cold water and start the heat and the timer at the same time (20 minutes for hard boiled). Some people start the timer once the water is boiling (7 minutes for hard boiled). Some people bring the eggs and water up to a boil then turn off the heat and cover for a certain time (10 minutes for hard boiled). Some people boil the water and THEN put the eggs in for a specific time. I'm in THAT camp personally. The times are essentially the same whether you're boiling or steaming right? So forgive me if 15 minutes seems like a long time. I was just looking for clarity.

So speaking of...you didn't clarify whether or not you put the eggs in the steamer while you're bringing the water up to a boil, or if you add the eggs in AFTER the water starts boiling. These things matter for consistent results.

>You said to put the egg in the basket, put the basket in the pot, turn on the heat.....

No, someone else said that. I just helped "translate" for you since you seem stupid. If it were me I'd just tell you "steam the balut for 15 minutes".

>>When boiling eggs, some people put the eggs in cold water...
I'm well aware of how egg-boiling instructions could be confusing because of the reasons you describe. But I'm not sure why you're bringing that up here. Steaming an egg is a totally different process since there isn't any cooking happening until the water is actually boiling and creating steam. It doesn't matter if you put the egg in a cold steamer or if the steamer is already going--so long as you start the timer after the egg is in contact with steam it doesn't matter.

>>The times are essentially the same whether you're boiling or steaming right?
not really, no. Steam has a lot higher internal energy than boiling water does thanks to the heat of vaporization. Remember physics class? Yeah, it's relevant.

>>whether or not you put the eggs in the steamer while you're bringing the water up to a boil, or if you add the eggs in AFTER the water starts boiling
It doesn't matter. The egg won't start cooking until the water is boiling because there isn't an appreciable amount of heat transfer happening with the egg just sitting in the steamer over warm-but-not-boiling water.

But if you want to be pedantic about it you add the food once the water is boiling--you know, just like any other steaming recipe.

Start the timer when you take the egg out duh

>boil for 20ish minutes
>hold egg upside down with something that protects your hand from heat
>tap the top with a spoon until there is a hole on top
>drink delicious broth
>pick out chunks and eat them
>serve with rau ram
>dip the rau ram in a blend of salt, pepper, and lime juice

It looks disgusting but actually tastes pretty okay.

You're correct. Other poster is a tard.

20 minutes results in a tough white part. It's really hard. Is that normal?

You think eggs magically start cooking in a steamer even if the water isn't boiling? Damn, I'm really glad you aren't a doctor or engineer.

well to be fair, I don't do a whole lot of steaming. Especially with things like eggs that won't lose flavor into the water when boiled. So no need to be such a fucking asshole about it. Seriously, why are you here if you just want to call people stupid? Does it make you feel better about yourself? How shitty must your life be for the highlight of your day to be calling someone you don't know stupid on an anonymous Mongolian throat singing forum. Excuse me for taking the things I'm familiar with and trying to apply them to unfamiliar cooking techniques.

Just saying "Steam for 15 minutes" would have sufficed.

How do you gauge exactly when the water starts to boil? Is it when the first bubble breaks the surface? is it when it starts to boil vigorously? Wouldn't it make more sense to let the water get up to a hard boil first and then add whatever you're steaming?

Are you talking about that part on the bottom? It always seems to be that way but maybe I just suck at cooking.

So you just pee on the eggs yourself?

Attached: smug.jpg (463x483, 21K)

Yeah, I heard that it can be tough if overcooked. Mine was tough, so I thought I'd come here for some advice.

>I know...I know...
>wrong place motherfucker.

>How do you gauge exactly when the water starts to boil?
Whenever I can see vapor coming out the vent in the top of my steamer.

>>Wouldn't it make more sense to let the water get up to a hard boil first and then add whatever you're steaming?
Yes. That's why I stated:
>But if you want to be pedantic about it you add the food once the water is boiling--you know, just like any other steaming recipe.

...but in the end it's not like it really matters. As long as user starts the timer once the water boils the results will be consistent enough. What next? Are we going to weigh the eggs and make micro-adjustments to the cooking time?
>>wait! this egg is two grams lighter! Better steam it for 14:55 instead of 15:00!

I'd be concerned about the embryo being under cooked if the white part wasn't solid.

Don't be so melodramatic.

>Seriously, why are you here if you just want to call people stupid?

I'm here to discuss food and cooking, which I enjoy. But when I see idiocy I don't mind calling it out. Note that I'm also helping you by answering your question, so don't take it as hostile.

>Just saying "Steam for 15 minutes" would have sufficed.
I agree. I have no idea why someone greentexted you that silly detailed procedure when they simply could have stated "steam for 15 min".

Anyway, since we're answering questions and all that: it sounds like from your OP that you already know the problem: you cooked your balut for too long. So why ask us at all? Why not simply cook the next one for a little less time than you did on your first attempt? It sounds like you already know the answer.

Is it common to eat the white part even though it's so tough?

Well I have zero experience with balut, so I don't even know for sure if the white part isn't SUPPOSED to be hard. Is it common to eat it that way? I also, don't want to eat an under cooked duck fetus because I'm trying to obtain a softer white.

I've seen some Asians do it but they don't seem to mind extremely chewy food. I don't bother eating mine.

I've only had it twice, and both times I wouldn't describe the white as being "hard".

Anyway, it doesn't really matter what other people like or what's traditional: if you like it hard then cook it hard. If you want it softer then don't cook it as long. If you're worried about health risks of undercooking then use a thermometer.

>youtu.be/C1EwhDGdv14
Shit looks disgusting

Do you boil the water, then add the egg and boil for 20 minutes?
Or do you put the egg in the water and start the 20 minute timer and heat at the same time?

Don't forget to ask:
1) the mass of the egg
2) the temperature of the egg before it went into the water
3) the purity of the water
4) at what elevation the cooking was done

We wouldn't want to miss any potential sources of inconsistency, now would we?

gottem

New to this thread. The white part should be very firm to but not tough. That's overcooked. All the filipinos I've met eat the whole thing, including myself.

We roll crack the egg, break off the top, , season the liquid inside, and slurp it out, then we eat the egg.

So you're saying that I can steam an ostrich egg in Colorado for the exact same amount of time as a quail egg in Florida? WOW! it's like cooking times and temperatures don't matter! If you don't have anything constructive to add, fuck off

this guy is a fucking creep

Has there any been more definitive proof that Asians aren't human and lack souls?

Has there ever been more definitive proof that you're white bread and judgemental?

huh?

You don't "cook" balut. If what my mom, who grew up in vietnam, has told me is correct. Balut, or hot vit lon in Vietnamese, is fermented duck eggs so you gotta go through a lot of steps to make them.
>1. Select eggs that are fit for incubation. Eggs should come from mated flocks, and be not more than five days old. They should have thick shells without any cracks.
>2. Preheat the selected eggs under the sun for three to five hours.
>3. Heat some unpolished rice in an iron cauldron or vat until it reaches a temperature of about 42 to 42.5 degrees C (107 to 108 degrees F).
>4. Put 100 to 125 eggs into a large cloth made of either abaca (sinamay) or nylon.
>5. Place a layer of heated rice at the bottom of a cylindrical bamboo incubator basket (45 cm in diameter and 60 cm deep, Fig.1 and Fig. 2(1166)), and place a bag of eggs on the rice. Alternate the bags of eggs with the bags of heated rice. Eight bags of eggs will fit into the basket. Bamboo baskets can be arranged either in a single row along the wall of the balutan, or in double rows placed in the middle of the balutan. Rice hull is firmly tamped down between baskets as an insulator.
>6. Turn the eggs at least two or three times a day ( Fig. 3(862)).
>7. Heat the rice in the morning and in the afternoon on cool days.
>8. Candle the eggs on the 7th, 14th and 18th day to select infertile eggs; D1 (dead embryo on first candling) and D2 (dead embryo on second candling). The infertile eggs, both D1 and D2, are removed, hard-boiled, and sold as a snack.
>9. Eggs containing a normal embryo candled on the 16th to 18th day should be hard boiled and sold as balut or hot vit lon.

Maybe the Filipinos cook it but from what I know (which is mainly from what my mother has told me) the Vietnamese just slurp it up raw.

you bake them. you put them in a stone crock, in the oven, set it to 350, crawl inside, and close the door on yourself wtih the crock. cook until crispy, then scatter the ashes at sea

Someone at work gave me three of these, still in my fridge. Then I was given what was called Tea eggs by another person WTF

Attached: Tea_Eggs_Snack_Shop.jpg (220x165, 11K)

Tea eggs are just normal eggs that have absorbed flavours from the soup and are actually nice tho.