What does it mean to be crazy or insane?

What does it mean to be crazy or insane?

I don't know, can someone please explain?

it doesn't mean anything, fool

It means that others think you are crazy or insane.

In the DSM-4:

“A mental disorder is a clinically significant behavioral or psychological syndrome or pattern that occurs in an individual and that is associated with present distress or disability or with a significantly increased risk of suffering death, pain, disability, or an important loss of freedom.”

Connections in their brain are skewed and vastly differ from the regular person. They think differently, in a warped sense, an extreme extension of creativity.

Maybe its just me but I love finding logical connections within word salads of crazy men.

>an extreme extension of creativity.
This has always struck me as an unhealthy way of thinking about insanity. An extreme extension of creativity is exactly the antithesis of insanity, IMO, and insanity seems like an inherently destructive thing.

I used to spend time with an old hobo woman who only spoke in word salad
It was nice, because we didn't really need to talk
I'd just sit and talk a bit with her, bring her a few yogurts and milk-rice and she'd be tracing "CHILD KENNEDY" in the sand as many times as she could before the wind blew it away
I think that's the only thing I ever saw her do
Sometimes I really wonder what "child kennedy" meant to her

Being crazy is not perceiving the world the same way the majority of people do
It can be a big deal or not

To not be one with reality, to be with one's delusions and believe that they are fact.

Are the insane spooked?

not more than anyone else I think
being spooked occurs on a case by case basis

>word salad
Pro detected

"mal-adaptive" behavior

Take it as a shoreline, you can dip your toes in the water and that's fine but if you keep going out you'll surely drown.

The connections they make may be sensible at the start, maybe a bit weird, but by the end of it they're so far out that nobody can make any sense of it. Its too much, relies too much on personal experience or obscure fact.

I didn't claim to be a pro.
A pro what by the way ? Hobo whisperer ?

>Its too much, relies too much on personal experience or obscure fact.
Again, this doesn't at all sound related to creativity.

Not that user, but maybe creativity in the sense of joining previously unrelated ideas/concepts (with 'good' combinations being sane and 'bad' combinations being insane).

>but maybe creativity in the sense of joining previously unrelated ideas/concepts (with 'good' combinations being sane and 'bad' combinations being insane).
Those bad combinations strike me as inherently destructive. There simply seems to be a contradiction in terms.

Someone that denies the truth is one trait

Insanity means lack of sanity. If sanity is represented by coherent mental process, art cannot be associated with insanity at all. It doesn't matter how crazy you may be, your art must be controlled and focused. The eccentric artists and savants tend to describe their art as the only connection they have to the real world.

I know we are discussing creativity, however I want to make it more broad by referring to talent in general. That insane hobo speaking in world salad may have some insane, arcane talent somewhere in her small range of abilities. More than likely she has no abilities or talent because she has no grip on the world.

It means, at least, to be unable to function in industrial society.