John Green x Africa

How can people take crash course seriously when he says things like "These days, we tend to think of writing as the most accurate and reliable form of description, but then again, we do live in a print-based culture. And we’ve already said that writing is one of the markers of civilization, implying that people who don’t use writing aren’t civilized, a prejudice that has been applied over and over again to Africa."
Writing is the most accurate and reliable description of history. Also why is it acceptable to alter what we view as civilized people to include literally everyone.

>How can people take crash course seriously when he says
Wow, are you suggesting people are dumb? How can this be? Find out more after these commercials.

Africa was not civilised though.

>crash course
>serious

Africa either had very minor civilizations with basic writing systems, or relied on a tiny upper class that knew how to write Arabic, Portuguese etc. who governed the vast swaths of illiterate Yam and Goat farmers.

Regardless, that rationalization is shit and Crash Course would be 100 times better if it simply didn't include the PC bullshit skits.

It's just a trend of politically correct historiography. Like all other trends in history, it'll either fade out due to the inability to correctly portrait history or it'll have its foundations strengthen by its use. Let's hope it's the first option.

Don't be mad a John Green for trying to do what most people are doing nowadays, be mad at yourself for not understanding it.

Let's just remove the standards for what makes someplace civilised until everyone feels included, guys!

Seriously though, west Africa did have some stuff going on, but it wasn't much. It was all fleeting based on the gold trade and didn't make any real attempt to administrate or organise. It's PC to overhype their accomplishments.

>or it'll have its foundations strengthen by its use.
this honestly terrifies me
I don't want
>WE WUZ KANGZ to become reality

>people still don't know that crash "course" is a literal joke channel
In the 2nd SECOND fucking episode of their current series on philosophy, they tried to claim that Aristotle was sexist because of the phrase "Man is the rational animal" EVEN FUCKING THOUGH ARISTOTLE HIM FUCKING SELF USED THE WORD "ANTHROPOS" MEANING FUCKING HUMAN

FUCK this channel makes me mad. In their episode about Alexander the Great they spent half the fucking thing talking about how historians were sexist. The worst part about it is that there is NO indication that there are other ways to think about this shit, they do that thing every sjw does of present their opinion like they're teaching you facts, the main reason so many college students are becoming libtards (not liberals, libtards) is because they hear about the stuff in a classroom and automatically trust their instructors. Crash "Course" "World" "History" is just a manifestation of this.

>don't be mad at him for doing the same bullshit as everyone else
not exactly bandwagon fallacy, but you're essentially defending what he's doing because it's a current trend, i.e "everybodies doing it XD

>jon green
>implying all of africa is and always has been illiterate
>literally generalizing an entire continent and millennia of history in the name of political correctness
this nigger is one step from 'africa is a country' mentality
fuck

I hate when people mix up history and politics. Unfortunately this happens all the time.

I wish there was a rule where you couldn't mingle modern politics with history

>And we’ve already said that writing is one of the markers of civilization, implying that people who don’t use writing aren’t civilized, a prejudice that has been applied over and over again to Africa.

WE

>actually believing that
>actually also believing this
>complaining about historical accuracy
Actually correct
Same bruv innit
For PLEBS

Much of Africa literally wasn't civilized, tho. That's not an insult, it's just a fact.

>for you

Where is your evidence? You're completely ignoring African civilisations.

WUZ

>much of Africa wasn't civilized
>"how could you say that there were no African civilizations >X0"
What would you know about the requirements of civilization when you can't even read?

>taking the Internet this seriously

I'm gonna have to stop you right there m8y. Deuces.

John Green
>western opinions on africa are racist bigoted propaganda
>western opinions on eastern europe are spot on

LITERATE

>implying Slavs aren't africa tier niggers

>10,000 of human civilization
>Africans still believe in witch hunts and burning each other for minor infractions
Sooo civilized.

Surly famine in Africa must be because of the climate

>10 000 years of human civilisation
>westerns forget that they pissed in cans

Oral cultures did alright without writing, but anything of scale really needs it to function.

The most accurate indicator of whether someone is civilised is whether they live in a city or not.

Rustics need not apply.