Did some Templars really worship Baphomet? Why?

Did some Templars really worship Baphomet? Why?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_popes#1st_century
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baphomet#History
whynotcatholicism.net/view/the-early-church-was-catholic
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Super religious organisation
>One of the Main motivations to join is religion
>People who can write and such who can send letters away to the pope
I am more curious on how exactly they were supposed to keep it secret.

Because the Roman Catholic church is evil, corrupt and satanic.

Popes are antichrists.

Thank God for the Reformation which brought a revival of pure early Biblical Christianity.

What exactly is the baphomet?

>Pure biblical Christianity
The ones who believe in free faith or the ones who don't? Or maybe the ones who good deds may affect your afterlife or those that don't? Or is it maybe those that think the Church can work together with the state or not?

>that delusion
You're a literal heretic, dummy.

Conspiracy scapegoat.
The joker for every conspiaricy theory that needs some bigger evil to make things look less half baked.

Only one pope is the true antichristo. Other ones have been corrupt, but a lot have been quite good.

>a few demonic members of a military order represent the entire Holy Catholic Church
hurrrr

>Popes are antichrists
durrrrr

>And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Matthew 16:18

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_popes#1st_century

>early Christianity
>biblical

lololololololololololololololololololololol

implying

What's wrong with worshipping Baphomet. I worship both him and Yawheh.

baphomet is the realest nigga i know

old thread isn't even dead yet

No. It was just French slander to have an excuse to rob them.

Love Jack Chick.
>Baal worship isn't about worshiping Baal, it's actually about this other evil thing!

No, baphomet didnt even exist until some king pulled the name out of is ass.

>retards itt

"Baphomet" = Mahomet = Muhammad. The Knights Templar, sworn to defend Jerusalem agains the saracens, were trained to "worship" baphomet in the event they were captured by the saracens. The training would show a Templar initiate how to go through the mechanisms and ceremony of worshipping according to Islam while maintaining their true Christian faith in their heart.

This is a position accepted in mainstream scholarship.

Why are YOU pulling stuff out of your ass?

The name Baphomet appeared in July 1098 in a letter by the crusader Anselm of Ribemont:

Sequenti die aurora apparente, altis vocibus Baphometh invocaverunt; et nos Deum nostrum in cordibus nostris deprecantes, impetum facientes in eos, de muris civitatis omnes expulimus.

As the next day dawned, they called loudly upon Baphometh; and we prayed silently in our hearts to God, then we attacked and forced all of them outside the city walls.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baphomet#History

TIL that Peter was just one out of hundreds of antichrists.

WAKE UP

HURR DURR

>Get captured by Saracens
>"I-I worship Baphome- I mean Mahomet now! Just like you guys!"

I don't think this was a very solid plan.

I thought it had something to do with the Templars running one of the first banking systems, to which the king of France (I think) owed a lot of money. So he decided it'd be easier just to burn them at the stake (on a Friday the 13th) instead of paying back the debts.
And apparently they were accused of things other than "worshipping 'baphomet'" like sodomy and other old timey charges

Early Christianity was an esoteric, spiritual path intended to allow followers the tools to navigate blamelessly through the world and eventually become Christ-like by achieving theosis.

Modern non-denominational Protestantism is about trying to arbitrarily follow the Bible without understanding why you're doing so, and using stupid shit like "what would Jesus do" to absolve oneself of actual spiritual growth.

Literally just one of the many perversions of Satan that unintelligent Christians think is infesting D&D games.

Why the fuck would the Saracens care if the Templars worshipped Muhammad?

1. Muslims themselves don't even worship Muhammad, so pretending you do doesn't even make sense from an Islamic point of view, and

2. No one would've fucking believed you were sincere even if you DID try. You were literally a member of a Christian Holy Order whose existence is dedicated solely to fighting Muslims. If they captured you and you all of a sudden start saying "g-guys I was actually a Muslim all along, please don't kill me!" they'd probably laugh and then execute you from being a dishonest apostate.

Seems reasonable. Some Saracens capture you, you "pick up" on something they say, and ask them to tell you more about this Mahomet fellow, he sounds familiar. They say it's actually Mohammed, you say that you've been an idiot and accidentally elevated this Mohammed guy to the status of a deity the same way you accidentally elevated Isa to the status of a deity, but now you know better thanks to their education.

Meaning all of everything the Templars did around Baphomet was utterly useless, and no different than Steve Buscemi wearing a baseball cap backwards.

A lot of the time the Saracens demanded conversion or death. That's what the reference would be.
But Templars trained to resist that.

It wouldn't be useless if you were able to point to other Templars invoking the name of Baphomet. Then the Saracens would at least have a reason to believe you were genuine in your belief and we're legit stele open to the "clarifications".

Baphomet is just a corruption of the name Mohamed isn't it?

No. Abu fiama(t).

>The training would show a Templar initiate how to go through the mechanisms and ceremony of worshipping according to Islam while maintaining their true Christian faith in their heart.

The problem with this theory is that almost nothing about Baphomet or these rituals even remotely resembled Islamic worship.

Which makes this even more baffling, since it's not like Templars had to throw up their hands and shout Baphomet or anything to get offered this choice, nor would anything they learned be of any relevance since choosing conversion meant you usually went through a few weeks of religious education before being made to do some public conversion ritual, which hardly resembles anything like a secret prayer to a goat head idol.

That doesn't make any sense. It's not like the choice to convert wasn't withheld or kept secret until you shouted the secret word.

>which hardly resembles anything like a secret prayer to a goat head idol.
Because that part was made up. Templars just had shit like being told to spit on the Cross and deny Christ. If they refused, they were admitted fully. If they did it, they were sent off elsewhere since they weren't fit for combat.
The "Baphomet" part was most likely veneration of St John.

It's the difference between "oh, I'll convert" vs "actually, I have been converted all along, I just accidentally worshipped the way dumb Christians do. " not necessarily the best idea, but ine understandable from the regular Christian hegemony.

>"oh, I'll convert" vs "actually, I have been converted all along, I just accidentally worshipped the way dumb Christians do."

That doesn't make any sense

>"Save me Jebus"
>Not a solid plan
pick one.

Didn't really work for Templars anyway, since they were executed on sight by most Muslim armies, since they were basically elite shock troops who couldn't be left to live and possibly escape.

It was probably a war cry originally, perhaps influenced by their Muslim adversaries and allies sort of like Wahai Mohammed for WW2 British paratroopers, which got mutated by common Western European myths about Islam/Paganism revolving around idols, Muhammad, and general fear of non-Christian contamination.

Oh okay, you're right vs You were right all along, I was just stupid about understanding you. It didn't work as points out but I can see the reasoning.

But there is no reasoning there. What would their Muslim captors care about how they thought they were wrong about religion? A captured Templar either got the axe or he accepted conversion. Wearing a towel on his head, carrying a cartoon scimitar over his shoulder, and walking up to some Arabs saying "Hello there, fellow Baphometans, ready to kiss the feet of some statues?" wouldn't do them any good.

That actually sounds a lot more reasonable.

>no different than Steve Buscemi wearing a baseball cap backwards
thx 4 le keks fampai

>Wearing a towel on his head, carrying a cartoon scimitar over his shoulder, and walking up to some Arabs saying "Hello there, fellow Baphometans, ready to kiss the feet of some statues?" wouldn't do them any good.

I need a drawfag, stat!

What? The Templar pretended to worship Baphomet and spat on the cross to prepare themselves for what the Muslims would force them to do if the were caught

this seems like an all round really trivial thing to do.

They really thought the Muslims would bother with renouncing their faith, and making them destroy Christian icons, rather than just killing them, so think of it as a way to prepare for torture

Catholics decided what was canon, if it weren't for them retarded Protestant would be reading apocryphal books like they were gospel and become total Gnostics.

So... better?

>Conspiracy scapegoat.
I hope that wasn't an intentional pun.

this

Also:

this

Also:

This. If only more people understood this fact.