Favourite castle?

Favourite castle?

I haven't built it yet.

I've always like Elsinore

I hate that basic outline. It just triggers me for some reason

Nearly a century later, still seeing battles...

Crusader Knights were God Tier castle builders. Malta today stands Christian as a result of their fortifications.

Posting this because it's nearby and aesthetic as fuck.

This shit right here is next level though.

>tfw I've been building a simple wooden shop for 4 years

With Soviet and Polish troops entering Berlin in 1945, civilians moved into the Zoo tower to escape harm.

>Soviet troops (150th and 171st Rifle Divisions) attacked across the Moltke Bridge covering the River Spree. This was defended by German infantry and rockets, who were under pressure from Soviet tanks crossing the bridge, until the heavier anti aircraft guns from the Zoo tower could gain line of sight through the smoke. They destroyed the tanks and left the bridge covered in destroyed vehicles, which blocked further vehicles from crossing the bridge.[14] The heavier 12.8 cm FlaK 40 anti aircraft guns obliterated Soviet armour, particularly when hitting it from the side.

With thousands of civilians crammed into the facility, conditions in the Zoo tower towards the end were close to unbearable; it was crowded and had little water, and the air was hard to breathe. As the Soviet armies advanced inexorably towards the centre of Berlin, around 10,000 German troops retreated to the Government district. The tower was never successfully assaulted, therefore it was still able to provide anti-tank support to the defenders in the Government district. For example, during daylight hours on April 30, the Soviets were unable to advance across the open areas in front of the Reichstag to attack the building because of heavy anti-tank fire from the 12.8 cm guns two kilometres away on the Zoo tower.

>Soviet troops, not wishing to attack the facility, arranged the surrender of the troops inside. Colonel Haller, negotiating on behalf of the tower, promised to capitulate at midnight. This was a ruse to allow for the forces in the Tiergarten area to make a break out through the Soviet lines and away from Berlin. This they did, shortly before midnight. The civilians then left the facility.

It took the British until 1948, three attempts and over 60 tons of TNT to demolish it.

how the fuck are you supposed to attack those

Ask the Romans :^)

let me guess, something like treachery?

No, building a mountain to launch a frontal attack.

>building a mountain

u wot

They built a ramp. When the Jews saw the Romans are breaking in, they collectively killed themselves.

>that town section

hngggggggggggggggggggggggggggh

Cringe

Liddesdale was described as the bloodiest valley in Britain. It was at the nexus of the murderous clan feuds which fed the Border Reiver conflicts and rent this lonely part of Britain for 400 years. The Hermitage stands as a lonely reminder of that bloody past: massive, sinister, brooding, a dark H-shaped monument to power, politics and cruelty.

When it comes to aesthetics, this is probably the best good looking castle in Slovenia.

Teutons were quite good at building castles.

And then there's cool stuff like this. The Predjama castle (jama is Slovene for cave and pred means before or in front of - the castle lies at the entrance to a cave so I'm sure you'll figure out the name).
As the legend goes, a man called Erazem Predjamski owned the castle back when Matthias Corvinus was fighting his war with the Austrians. Erazem decided to join his cause and he became a sort of a brigand. The emperor learned of this and sent a small army to catch Erazem. The army set up camp outside, knowing that Erazem and his people had nowhere to go. After several months, they were just about to leave - thinking that the inhabitants of the castle were dead -, when Erazem stepped up onto the walls with grapes. This was in very early spring, mind you. I've forgotten a few details of the story but at one point, he supposedly had a whole roasted pig thrown to the enemy. The trick to his survival was the cave, as there was another exit on the other side of the hill.
Unfortunately for Erazem, one of his men was bribed and he gave a signal to the enemies who then pelted the room Erazem was in (some say it was the toilet) with rocks from their catapults.

And by the way, that little door under the castle is the entrance to Slovenia's longest cave system.

Forgot the image...

Once the largest castle in Germany, blown up by the French in 1797

Sexy beast.

De Haar

I took part in a fake battle as an archer in that castle when 13.

>mountaindust
a hell of a drug

always good

Well at least we call it a castle

Marienburg castle is far more impressive in person than it seems in pictures.

Many castles have the opposite problem where they seem more impressive in photos than in real life, but Marienburg is HUGE.

>those fries

absolutely disgusting

I remember doing something similiar around that age there. I was throwing javelins though.
True, it was difficult for me to choose a picture to post since all of them looked less impressive than wha I remember from seeing in person.

nice

the Citadel of Aleppo is one of the oldest and lergest in the world. you can't really get a significant amount of it into a non-aerial photo; this is just the front door.

I hope it's doing okay.

tfw it started as a roman encampement

The madmen built a ramp up a mountain so they could bring their towers up.

Love this one

SPQR was not playing around.

couldn't someone climb up the mountain and roll boulders onto them

The idea is to have full coverage of the foot of the walls. There's nowhere for attackers to hide.

Neusvhwanstein is a pearl of opulence. I love the Byzantine frescos depicting Norse mythology. Its like the /pol/ castle.

IMPENETRABLE

desu

Reminder that tower house> castles

>None of my favorite castle from my childhood
Too bad the base I grew up on is a refugee camp now.

So aesthetic

The castle is located at the entrance to the cave so I'm pretty sure it lies deep enough that only parts of the castle could actually get hit (although I think it would be hard to aim the rock and push it just hard enough so it wouldn't fly too far and miss the castle completely). In addition, the castle back then was much smaller so no part would actually stick out.

And besides, if anyone wanted to roll rocks down onto the castle, one would have to somehow get those rocks through the woods and onto the top which would probably take a while.

Bumping with another Slovene castle.

No

I;ll never understand the destruction of the flak towers.

They'd be perfect museums.

The British had nothing better to do then blow up anything and everything left standing after their RAF Campaigns wrapped up. Hell, they even tried to blow up a German island of Heligoland just because.

My guess is it was Anglo impotence after being made irrelevant by the US and USSR: Pick on the one country unable to fight back.

It's not

t. /k/

So impractical

Glorious Massimiliano D'Absburgo

Seemed to work well enough to me...

>almost lost if not for the help of an army of literal ghosts

Man, it looks beautiful.

>filename
rude

Did you die?

That wasn't because the fortress itself was poorly designed, that's because it was laid siege to by an army at least 20x larger than the garrison force than had flying beasts at their disposal.

mah nigga

Castelnaud was pretty good as child, they even have some siege engine demonstration.

Being french is awesome when you love castles

but this is top tier patrician taste.

I just hope it doesn't get destroyed by ISIS

its actualy more realistic than OP castle

>ywn live in mont saint michel

JDIMSA 2bh familia

is this your case ? lucky bastard, hope you like tourist in summer tho

I-I'm not living there lad.

Shot someone in the knee...

>Living Dead meme: the user

So good they based a board game on it.

And it's Civ 5 wonder is OP as fuck

oy vey

You mean millennium.

All of the castels posted itt look like they could be Barbie houses

What's the difference between a castle and a fortress?

After siege guns became a thing "castle" started meaning something growing ever closer to "palace."

They have to get food and stuff up there, so there has to be a way up.
And if there is way you can attack them, it's just a matter of how many people you lose until you're inside.

Mont St Michele or Chenonceau

Couldn't the bad guys just have a bunch of wyverns fly up out of the reach of arrows, and just drop boulders or pots of scalding shit.

At the time of the Battle of Helm's Deep was also the Fall of Osgiliath, which was a FAR more important site.

In fact, I now suspect that Tolkien made the two battles simultaneous to explain why the fell beasts didn't do as you stated.