What are some Veeky Forums approved documentaries?

What are some Veeky Forums approved documentaries?

The World at War is the GOAT WWII doc

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_at_War

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UA730QtjOBE
youtube.com/watch?v=m0mrOeJwXBI
imdb.com/title/tt0426688/
youtube.com/watch?v=OuuthpJmAig&list=PLfLzvgzsb9TifHZ7atjvqaLinfp1lfs3R
youtube.com/watch?v=bGbu16FU2j8
youtube.com/watch?v=wJ1uo5jvpe8
youtube.com/watch?v=oSnJbudcpPw&list=PL_Ldqm6SirJo21lB7pKPnsZqukGY-HMSg
youtube.com/watch?v=GQoe-3Va2oU
youtube.com/watch?v=2R6mTTrOlzE
youtube.com/watch?v=bh6AjrloXOs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The Great War

WWII in Colour
PBS Napoleon

I'd even recommend Phantom India for a very good depiction of post imperial India.

It's all right mostly because of the people they interviewed but overall I found it pretty disappointing.
Not as good as The Great War which showed a lot more even about countries like Belgium. WaW completely wasted the first Nazi-Soviet campaigns on talking about power shortages in Britain. Can't call this series a real success but still better than all modern documentaries about WWII.

The Great War is probably your best bet at WWI documentaries in English.

>tfw never a good 4:3 bluray release

There's another The First World One which is also good, has great music and features this.

youtube.com/watch?v=UA730QtjOBE

But it's shorter.

I love the opening to the first episode, so haunting. Great delivery.
youtube.com/watch?v=m0mrOeJwXBI

Breddy good

imdb.com/title/tt0426688/
2003 The First World War is better
the one from the sixties is closer (in time) to the war so brings that to the table (e.g. witnesses) but the 2003 one delivers a better and more well researched history

I have to say I did not particularly love TWAW... It is okay, but it felt very, I dunno, basic? Like with the exception of a handful of episodes (like those Brit-centric in Burma), it was your "everyday WW2 history". Obviously I am judging it from the POV of a somewhat knowledgeable person when it comes to WW2 thanks to popular history and media and games and the like.

>The World at War is the GOAT WWII doc

Seems a lot of people don't know but the Russians complained until they produced an Eastern Front documentary too.

'The Unknown War' 20 parts
youtube.com/watch?v=OuuthpJmAig&list=PLfLzvgzsb9TifHZ7atjvqaLinfp1lfs3R

Mein Krieg: My Private War (WWII Eastern Front Doc)

youtube.com/watch?v=bGbu16FU2j8

Essentially 6 Germans talking over their home movies of the Eastern Front.

This is a much watch documentary about China from its warlord period to the 21th century. It may be a little biased sometimes when it comes to Chiang, with old accusations. But overall is a much watch. Also highly recommend The Last Emperor of China set in the same period, just with more PuYi.

Forgot pic

Zeitgeist :^)

Sworn to Secrecy/Secrets of War, narrated by Charlton Heston.

Civilization
By Kenneth Clark
The Curse of the Mona Lisa
By Robert Hughes.
t. Art history fag

it's filled with soviet propaganda and doesn't mention any of their attrocities but magnify the german ones by 100x. Great footage though.

Any good documentaries focused on the Pacific Theatre of WW2?

Death of Yugoslavia is a BBC doc and gets interviews with almost all of the leaders involved, which is amazing. However it was broadcast in 1996?

I hope someone can recommend me a doc on the Balkans afterwards, I.e NATO bombing of Serbia, but I guess the violates this board's "25 year" rule.

>first episode is literally "June 22 1941"

Holy shit you are't kiddig. Fuckers help Germans start the war, butcher people however they please, are Nazis' best friendos and now they think people will just forget about it. Savages.

I read somewhere that they mention that Katyn was committed by the Nazis and that's reason enough for me not to watch it. At least with volume. I'm sure it has lots and lots of cool rare EF footage.

Been trying to find a seeded torrent of The Curse of the Mona Lisa for ages.

It's on Vimeo

>it's filled with soviet propaganda and doesn't mention any of their attrocities but magnify the german ones by 100x. Great footage though.

You'll never find a Eastern Front documentary that isn't somewhat propagandized.

Russia's War: Blood on the Snow was pretty objective imo. It showed that both the Nazi Germany and USSR were fucked up regimes and the true victims where the ordinary people that got caught up between the two powers.

>Mein Krieg: My Private War (WWII Eastern Front Doc)
>youtube.com/watch?v=bGbu16FU2j8

Anyone know what they're wearing at 8:45?

The Second Russian Revolution for the last years and fall of the USSR

>Death of Yugoslavia

>vietnam: A Television History

>last Days in Vietnam

one of my professors was invloved in the making of this doc and they interview some of her family members in the later parts. great stuff

Does it start in 1941?

Ken Burns Civil War

I just watched this and quite liked it

youtube.com/watch?v=wJ1uo5jvpe8

It's about colonization of Africa

It starts with the Russian Revolution and ends with Stalin's death.

4 Years of Thunder (WW1 aviation)
youtube.com/watch?v=oSnJbudcpPw&list=PL_Ldqm6SirJo21lB7pKPnsZqukGY-HMSg

So a bit like Bloodlands: the series? I guess this is it in a condensed form.

youtube.com/watch?v=GQoe-3Va2oU

Deep Water
The Wildest Dream
Beyond the Edge
When We Left Earth

Is this Veeky Forums approved?

youtube.com/watch?v=2R6mTTrOlzE

David Starkey: Monarchy
The British empire in colour

Both are fine. And History of Britain hosted by that funny bearded dude.
On the other hand Simon Schama's series sucks.

The interviews were pretty cool, but overall WaW was too basic for just about anyone slightly interested in WW2.

My personal favourite is Soviet Storm, even thought it's a lot of soviet propaganda, but it goes into details and is very fun to watch.

Great series.

I have a request for someone who knows soviet songs well:

youtube.com/watch?v=bh6AjrloXOs

In this episode, at 30:43, does anyone know which song starts playing? Thanks.

Death Of Yugoslavia was great. By far the most comprehensive documentary on the war I have seen. BBC also produced a multi part documentary on the Kosovo war, I'm pretty sure by the same production team. If you haven't seen it, I would highly recommend it.

link?