What are some persistent and demonstrably false myths about East Asian history?

What are some persistent and demonstrably false myths about East Asian history?

Japanese guns all sucked ass.

Buddhism made everything more peaceful.

which ones were good?

>Chinese always relied on huge numbers in war.
>Korea was an eternal Chinese bitch (well, true past the 1100's.)
>E. Asia paused their civilization and wasnt "advancing" any further after 1500's
>LE BAMBOO JAPANESE ARMOR/LE SHIT STEEEL KATANA :DDD
>DUDE CHINESE CIVIL SERVICE EXAM IS JUST MEMORIZING THE CLASSICS :DDDDD
>Vietnam is a Southeast Asian civilization.
>The Great Wall didn't work.

There was that heavy machinegun they were using, I don't recall its name.

It was relatively slow firing but allowed for almost continuous firing without melting the barrel.

Some Arisaka guns were good, especially if you're looking for bolt-action with low recoil, then the 6,5mm ones are great.

Other than that they're all shit.

The latter two are correct, the third is kinda unfalsifiable.

The Type 99 was, bar none, the best bolt action rifle of WW2.

They had some pretty great light machine guns too, as good as the bren and all for instance.
And yeah the arisaka is overall a very solid gun, it's usually regarded as the strongest bolt-action rifle of its time.

>There was that heavy machinegun they were using, I don't recall its name.
type 99 lmg?

>it's usually regarded as the strongest bolt-action rifle of its time.
>citation needed

when it comes to stopping power, arisaka changed in its lifetime as it progressively received bigger and bigger round because it was seen as NOT enough

But the Great Wall did work. The meme is that it has been a continuous wall ever since Qin Shihuangdi. The Great Wall as we see it is a product of the 1500's.

Everyone points at the Mongols for evidence that it didn't, but niggas forget that at the time the wall wasn't even manned/didnt even stretch northwards.

Not to mention the policy of dynasties from Han to Song with the Nomads was to have your own nomad/nomad allies to keep em off and have short surgical/genocidal wars to punish them. That or just pay them to leave. Works as well and they seem to be happy with Chump Change.

Only the Sui hid behind the wall. As for the Ming, they both relied on the wall AND expeditionary armies that patrol it. It never fell actually and was only breached when the Ming dynasty crumbled and a suddenly Ex-Ming General of the Northern Garrison let the Manchus in.

>Vietnam is a Southeast Asian civilization.
Honestly I don't know why 'Southeast Asia' is a thing at all. Thailand/Cambodia/Burma, Indonesia/Malaysia, and Vietnam have always been separate regions. The only thing the former two have in common is that they were influenced by India, and Vietnam has nothing to do with either of them.

He means the woodpecker, Type 92.

Let's say it like this.
If the great wall didn't work would Almost every Dynasty to ever rule China build some new things to that wall?

Likewise.

I view the region as more of a Venn Diagram between Sinitic and Indian Civilization. Sprinkle a dash of Romance for the Flips.

>If the great wall didn't work would Almost every Dynasty to ever rule China build some new things to that wall?
Did the majority of dynasties add shit or just renovate and fixed what needed to be fixed?

That's not what he meant you dunce.
The action of the Arisaka was so overbuilt it could withstand stupidly overpowered loads.
I think one gun mag tested it out and it could withstand 125,000psi.

Strongest bolt, not strongest it terms of firing power. There are multiple tests of overpressure ammo being fed to the arisaka and the bolt of this rifle is typically seen as near-impossible to break. It will just keep firing.

Of course, in terms of firing power, the type 99 is pretty typical of any other rifles.

Arisaka and Type 99 LMG were very good

Think they added to it.
Or not really, seems like they picked new locations for it once in a while.

Qin & the Pre-Imperial Warring States guys laid the foundations.

Sui & Ming made serious additions (Ming connected them).

The rest renovated them.

The Foreign Dynasties were hit and miss. The Tuoba Wei did major additions in the Desert Walls, the Yuan Mongols manned it again, the Qing Manchus thought the whole fucking thing was stupid but preserved it as a "national" monument.

>I view the region as more of a Venn Diagram between Sinitic and Indian Civilization
I wouldn't really think of it that way. Vietnam is basically an extension of East Asia (as far as I know they actually called themselves Han in the past), while the rest of the region consists of Therevada and Islamic offshoots of Indian civilization. There isn't really that much overlap.

It's not that the Chinese didn't influence the rest of Southeast Asia, but that Chinese civilization wasn't adopted there like it was in Vietnam. Instead it was mostly commercial and political influence, a lot like that of Europeans (before colonialism) and Persians.

I suppose LE PEASANT SOLDIERS.

Nobody really used them. The closest were armed civilians in Old China who were gathered by prefects to hunt down criminals. And these were willing guys since the rural Chinese were empowered by law to be responsible for their own policing in the vast countryside. You were allowed by law to own a weapon and maintain a village armory so long as you don't have "prohibited military weapons" like crossbows, and later on, guns.

Pic related. A Duan Jian (short sword), which was popular among civilians for its compact size.

China did not start lagging behind Europe until the industrial revolution.

OH And I suppose "LE ASIANS ARE SOULLESS ANTS WHO OBEY GOVERNMENTS ALWAYS."

Confucianism may make that seem true. But Confucianism has the caveat that "it is just to replace shitty leaders."

Not to mention look at fucking E. Asian history, plenty of individual initiative and rebellious moments there.
>Chinese revolts being a fucking institution.
>Samurai
>Daimyos not obeying central authority all the time.
>Armed Chinese Civilians forming private military organizations and hiring themselves out hoping to notice the eye of the formal military, gain a rank, and enter lucrative government service without going through formalities of army ranks and bureaucracy.
>Japanese Peasant collectives in the late Ashikaga that were Pseudo-Republics.
>Chinese merchants establishing merchantile trading posts and merchant colonies overseas in southeast asia even if the government frowns at them for doing so.
>Ronin.
>Youxia.

Vietnamese here. We see ourselves more related with other East Asians than Southeast Asian. Our culture is pretty sinic and our language is heavily influenced by Chinese. We used to write in Chinese characters until the 1800s when Alexander de Rhodes invented Chu Nom.

It drives me nuts when people lump Vietnam in with the shitty Khmers, Laotians and god forbid, the Flip seaniggers.

How do you feel about your culture adopting the Latin Alphabet?

And how common is stuff like pic related in Vietnam? I suppose it is not common at all, but, still interesting to know.

>Korea was an eternal Chinese bitch (well, true past the 1100's.)

I would say starting in the 1400s they were. Goryeo was always a militaristic country. And keep in mind that the Goryeo army was like one day's distance away from an invasion on Ming China over territory, but Yi turned the army around, overthrew Goryea and set up Joseon, the biggest Chinaboo country in history.

It's a stupid meme to generalize modern East Asian culture.

Even nowadays it's only a result of logistical and communications technology that the societies seem more homogenous and the regions under the authority of the central government.

Only during the age of East Asian dictators did the power of the central government begin to grow.

Even nowadays, Beijing wants to be allies with Myanmar, but Yunnanese authorities don't so they support Han rebels in Myanmar.

Same for Okinawa in Japan or Deuju in SK or Kaiousing in Taiwan.

The Viet was doing good for about the first three paragraphs and then it went full Flip (Most powerful race).

Small penis. That only applies to Indians.

You just don't want to ackowledge the Flippo-Korean Hyperwar. The history is there if you'd just open your eyes.

I'd like to explore her southeast civilization.

sideways vaginas

khmer and laotians are pretty cool man, why the hate?

As much as I would like for us to use a Sinic Asian writing system, it would be far to difficult to transition back. The modern Vietnamese writing system is pretty intuitive if you get the hang of it, but I would like to use a Sinic writing system developed for out language, like how the Korean alphabet was developed.

Vietnam was never a empire though. To be honest, my people never had imperial ambitions, aside from kicking Champa ass. My people never invented any crazy technologies, but most of our great peoples are warriors and generals. Interesting fact, Vietnamese society was possibly matriarchal before Chinese domination. One of our great peoples were the Trung Sisters, female generals who kicked out the Chinese.

that blog is fucking embarrassing. jesus.

It's moreso because I identify my country more with East Asia than Southeast. Laotians haven't really done anything in regional or world history of note, and Khmer are big assholes when it comes to Vietnamese. Vietnamese blood was spilt liberating their country from the Khmer Rouge and they repay us by treating us like evil imperialists. They're always going "M-Muh Khmer Empire! We wuz Angkorz n shiet! Then the evil Vietnameses came!". Quite a few Cambodians in Cambodia hate Vietnamese for the Vietnamese-Cambodian war. We literally saved their country from a genocidal regime.

>Vietnam was never a empire though

Idiot. Yes, it was.

That picture makes me want to be a happy little samurai

>be Japanese in WWII
>feel the need to express my delight for my empire's military victories
>stand still like a duck and flap my arms up and down in a weird oblique manner

Asians have the weirdest physical tics. I live next to a few old Chinese people and they just walk around with their hands behind their back and grumble at me all the time with that typical Asian old man frown. And the way they cross their legs is hilarious.

We never were kid. The only time it was an "Empire" was when it was a Japanese puppet state, under the name "Empire of Vietnam".

We were a well defended kingdom, but never a empire.

t. ethnic Vietnamese.

>Vietnam
>East Asian

come on now.jpg

Most diasporas are fucking cancer.

>cute little Jap kids
>cute little kid samurai armor
>cute little kid samurai swords
>cute little kid hats and fans

This is too fucking adorable.

>pinoys
kek

Idiot. Vietnamese alphabet was created long before the 1800s.

>Chinese always relied on huge numbers in war.
I really hate this one.

>when Alexander de Rhodes invented Chu Nom.
He got rid of Chu Nom, he created Quoc Ngu.

Have you seen the sizes of armies fielded in the 3 kingdoms era?

>le soulless insect chinks

I blame /pol/ and the one anti-Chinese shill who spams the same exact shit twice a week

A large population is going to lead to large armies. What's so bad about that?

>Maghreb
>Middle Eastern

>Balkans
>Europe

WE WUZ CHINKS

Are you seriously blaming "Asians are soulless insects" on /pol/? You do realize that this has been a thing since before Veeky Forums was created, right?

What other East Asians? The only East Asians Vietnamese are related to are Cantonese or Hokkien who are already quite close to Southeast Asians in terms of phenotypes and culture.

WE WUZ CHINESE N SHEIT

>want to discuss myths in East Asian history in Three Kingdoms or Sengoku period
>thread devolves into Vietnam bait

why

>all those smug anime girl

IT AINT ME

Actually yes, I've been here since /new/

When /pol/ was created about 1 year in the shill began his spam campaign of posting a red haired Uighur boy getting pummeled in the middle of an ethnic clash, said shill took great pains to emphasize how "red haired" and "white" the child was. Point being that "evil soulless chinks are gonna get the white man". This went on for a while until he started changing it up with a photo of a rhino poached in Africa. From there his threads spammed about the alleged sadism the Chinese have towards animals. Next was the fun "piss eggs" and "gutter oil" phase for about a year or so. Nowadays it's a bunch of old videos of catfights between women caught in love triangles. He coined the "subhuman insect" meme in his OPs and over time it took off. Especially when /pol/ entered its "China will annex Africa" phase.

Same guy, always retorts with some kind of "50 cent party" conspiracy theory when called on his autism and retardation.

yeah the funnest part is that all of those really happened, china is like a human zoo

"Asians are soulless insects" has been around ever since WWII, or possibly earlier from the Boxer Rebellion. It all stems from the idea that Asians throw themselves at machine gun fire because they have no regard for human life. Apparently only Americans and Europeans are allowed to deeply care about the fate of their people.

Yet you fat American fucks will go full butthurtmode if people post random news about Americans doing retarded shit every blue moon in bumfuck nowhere
Sounds sheisty

I need a source

well played

>>DUDE CHINESE CIVIL SERVICE EXAM IS JUST MEMORIZING THE CLASSICS :DDDDD

That's true, though.

It's been around earlier, its one of the reasons Asians were barred for legally immigrating to the USA, and barred from citizenship.

That's not really true tbqh. Perhaps in terms pf GDP per capita China was doing alright, but in terms of tech and science, China was already falling behind by the 1600s.

Now granted, European technological dominance wasn't overwhlming until the mid 1800s as the Chinese did have some technologies Europeans wouldn't aquire until then, such as borehole drilling and the Bessemer Process, but Europe still had the upper hand for the most part. Just look at all the European science and technologies Ferdinand Verbiest introduced to China in the 1600s

"""Rape""" of Nanking

But China is a major market for ivory, often gained from illegal poaching.

If that's where the meme comes from it makes no sense. The russians basically did the same thing

Yeah, but right along with that there's been an idea that the Russians themselves are somehow "Mongoloid", "Eastern" or Asian at least on the inside, if not racially. I'd argue to an extent today, it might be true that Russians have more in common culturally (on the level of expectations in dealing with everyday life) with the Chinese that with Western Europeans or Americans.

In the reactionary post-neo-Confucian era

Ming was the only true china.
everything went to shit after that.
t. gook.

hello takemoshi hideyori.

I think it's not just because of their behaviour in war, but their culture and values in general. East Asian cultures generally put emphasis on hierarchy and loyality where the West is more about equality and individualism.
It's just natural that such a mindset gets warped to "soulless drones that live only to serve their superiors" by outsiders.

>John Heinrich Rabe and various other foreign witnesses lied for no reason

They see westerners as a bunch of rude and wild folk with an utterly selfish and arrogant lifestyle

bit like the pot calling the kettle a negro desu

sounds like asia has a spook problem

chinese here. Viets are honorary east asians.

Well it would be if the thing wasn't clearly some sort of militarist rally, that makes it kind of creepy

All Japanese weapons are complete garbage.

Who is this semen demon ?

"no"

Man, reading filenames must be so incredibly difficult.

On Veeky Forums it was not heard nearly as often until /pol/ and /int/ arrived.

But honestly, it's more likely just because Veeky Forums became more underage over time.

And you can just as easily argue Cantonese and North Vietnamese are just as East Asian as Southeast Asian.

Veeky Forums has always been underaged.
the fucking founder was 15 when he started this site.
and its always been casually "racist".

Well you're gonna get some bad apples in a third world country with 1.4 billion people.

Least you don't get liveleak videos of pigs eating starved kids like in India.

It seemed less so when I was underage.

The place was barely known in 2007-2009. Post quantity has risen 500% since then.

Fuck, my bad. I mean Quoc Ngu.

I like to say Vietnamese are very related to Japanese, Han Chinese, and Koreans, since our cultures and languages are within the Sinosphere.

People are honestly too offended nowadays due to liberal koolaid. When more normies started getting onto Veeky Forums, it ruined post quality. I miss it when people were more "afraid" of Veeky Forums. Post quantity doesn't mean the posters are necessarily smarter.

>Cantonese
Maybe if you consider Zhuang as SEA when they're heavily Sinicized.

What's funny is the Cantonese viewed Zhuang as more Han than Hakka and Fujianese.

>East Asian history

There's no such thing as "East Asian history" because there is not, and there hasn't been any country, nation, or folk, named "East Asia".

>Post quantity has risen 500% since then.
Its stayed the same shit.
Except now we get our memes from tumblr and twitter and facebook instead of making them ourselves.

*Tang was the only true China. Ming was a post-Mongol cuck kingdom afraid of its own shadow.

The An Lushan rebellion and the Mongols are the two inflexion points of the two chinese empires.

Do Vietnamese really believe this?

You know damn well what he means

Just like Europe, Sub-Saharan Africa, Middle-East & North Africa, South Asia, Southeast Asia, and Central Asia/Siberia or Mesoamerica