The impact of Christianity

In what ways do you predict that the world would have developed differently, if Christianity had only remained an obscure Jewish sect that was never tolerated in the Roman Empire?

No European slave morality.

Something else would fill the gap

Most likely Classical myth modified by philosophy to create a sort of "western Hinduism"

Divorce would never have been prohibited.

All of humanity would have died and gone to hell.

Now just most of humanity dies and goes to hell.

The church was the only thing that kept Europe alive after the fall of Rome. Europe owns it success to the papacy.

Europe conquered by the Caliphate.
Due to centuries of inbreeding, Caucasian IQ is now officially retarded.
The Chinese come in and just take whatever they want
Japan discovers the New World in 2100

I dont see China dping anything. They were pretty hermetic. The world would have advanced verh little without Europe.

Indeed, this is working off the assumption that given a few more centuries, an Asian nation might hit a golden age and push some progress, otherwise the world would stay quite the same for millenia.

You do realize the existence of Islam is dependent upon the existence of Christianity, right?

Shit, I dunno OP, I imagine it would like kind of like a world where the Mayans discovered steam power in 543AD and the Mongols rode unicorns

Yes but let's be honest, Mohammad would have done his thing regardless, considering he listened to literally none of Jesus' teachings

>Rise of Mithraism as the dormant religion
>No Islam and maybeeeeee no Mohammad
>Less influence of religion into politics
Maybe we might still have the Library of Alexanderia

*plaintive sigh*
we would be exploring the galaxy by now...

Wouldn't we be colonizing other planets/universes and utilizing inter dimensional travel?

>Maybe we might still have the Library of Alexanderia

Meh, it's nothing special:

>be me
>be official US time traveler in the year 2472
>historians convince me to go back to the Library of Alexandria to gain valuable knowledge
>they give me a device that allows me to speak any language, and understand any language
>they prep me, tell me where to go, how to act politely and so on
>it's time
>I get in the pod
>after the smoke clears, I realize I'm outside the library
>ohshitnigga
>I go in, and try to act inconspicuously
>sweating like hell
>people walking past me smile
>i smile back
>mfw they're more jovial than american southerners
>i see the shelves filled with scrolls
>dick getting hard
>i go over to one of the shelves, mentally readying myself
>i'm sweating fucking bullets
>I pick up a scroll, slowly unfurling it
>this is it
>"Alcaeus exchanged 2 units of grain for 5 cattle"
>the fuck
>I pick up another scroll, and unroll it furiously
>it's a love letter by some dumb peasant who can't even spell
>what the fuck is going on
>where's all the insightful poetry and philosophy and shit
>I pick up another scroll, with tears starting to form in my eyes
>it's a fucking bird drawing

The papacy and ecclesiastical estates were created by kings you retard

What makes you think that. Anyway, I'm no historian but the only difference I can think of is that the black death would be more devastating.

>What makes you think that?
Is what I meant to type 'cause apparently I need to go back to preschool.

Boy fiddling would be a thing everyone could enjoy, since the church monopolized that.

It's a meme. Some atheists believe that Christianity caused The Meme Ages. Pic related.

He did at fist then got butt hurt when he first tried preaching didn't work to well then everything went to shit

>people still believe this meme

I Said at first

I know what you said. It's still wrong.

>Yes but let's be honest, Mohammad would have done his thing regardless, considering he listened to literally none of Jesus' teachings
His entire career was based off on the widespread popularity of Abrahamic religion, which without Christianity would have been a fringe element in even his society. Even the form of Judaism that spread through Arabia and Mesopotamia that heavily influenced early Islam took shape in direct reaction to Christianity.

As for the OP, it's possible we might have a far less economically and scientifically developed world since a metric shit ton of modern science and capitalism begins with the cultural and institutional changes brought about by Christianity and Islam, and Western Eurasia in general might end up resembling late Qing China.

Bump

Christianity was the main reason Europe fell unto the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages didn't start after the fall of the Roman Empire, but in the 4th century when Christianity became the state religion. The Byzantines remained independent for a thousand years after the fall of Rome, but were just a bleak shadow of the pre-Christian Roman Empire.

Christianity made people wait for a better after-life paradise instead of trying to improve society. It strongly discouraged sciences, innovations and any philosophical questioning of how Nature works. Furthermore the Church acted as an absolute monarchy of divine right, and encouraged a feudal system in which the European aristocracy was subjugated to the Pope's will. The Roman Catholic Church saw itself as the heir of the Roman Empire. It was like a virus taking over a healthy body and turning it into a zombie.

Europe managed to extricate itself from the grip of the Church little by little from the 15th to the 18th century. Once educated people stopped being Christian a new era of progress was born, known as the Enlightenment. Our modern society was basically founded by the 18th-century Enlightenment (except for some religious zealots who couldn't stand it and migrated to America, notably in the south-eastern US states where the Enlightenment still hasn't reached most of the population).

The two most intellectually oppressive religions in history are Christianity and Islam.

t. Middle School understanding of history

Gibbon in this book put a great emphasis on the fall being from Christianity 'softening' the Romans, making them pacifists.

When chrisitans became emperors they allowed the destruction of pagan libraries and closed Platos academy.

Yes christianity was an opportunist infection which helped in the decline and eventual fall of Rome.

the OP's question relies on Christianity simply being banned in the Roman empire.

Muhammad's contact with Christianity (in it's ebionite form) came from people living outside of Roman borders.

>he's literally tipping

Honestly, I'd think paganism would be the dominant religious force in Europe, albeit very differently.

It would've probably been reimagined time and time again, until a universal and streamlined church of pagan gods would replace all the local regional petty gods.

But other than that, meh, not much different I can think of.

Best comment so far ITT

Religions mostly act as political declarations and formal legitimisers for what would happen anyways. Their 'values' are always what floats the boat of their respective group at any given time. Without Christianity mostly the same shit would have happened as for the big picture, with different flags being waved around.