I just realised that, if so many adults today suffer from depression, stress and other psychological problems...

I just realised that, if so many adults today suffer from depression, stress and other psychological problems, and those are adults who grew up in more relaxed and traditional decades (50's-90's)...

Just imagine how will be the next generation of adults who grew up in our times full of paranoia, isolation, unemployment, crisis, social medias, massive consumerism, and all of those problems caused by Capitalism and Liberalism.

Other urls found in this thread:

psychologytoday.com/blog/reading-between-the-headlines/201305/white-middle-age-suicide-in-america-skyrockets
twitter.com/AnonBabble

We have already had something worse appear.
There's a reason we call the generation growing up during world war 1 the "lost generation"

citations majorly needed moron

It's really depressing when you think about it

Is it true that some graduating classes didn't have a single surviving male left?

>graduating classes
scratch classes, some neighborhoods/streets were wiped out because they'd sign up in groups.

Did you know that Tolkien lost two of his friends in that war?
He had a club of four very close friends before that war, the only ones surviving being him and CS.Lewis.

>tfw western europe will never fully understand the impact the second world war had on your country

Poland?

I can't imagine all of us still online well into our 50s-70s.

What the fuck kind of thought processes will we have by then? Will being constantly attached to this online hivemind of sorts make us think differently than old people do now?

Also reminder that we still don't really understand why there are more school shootings lately. Trend might pick up even more.

are you even living in 2016?

>being close friends with CS.Lewis
this almost makes me lose my respect for Tolkien

Never such innocence
Never before or since.
Never such innocence again.

-Philip Larkin,
MCMXIV

i think you may be conflating his friends group of friend from school with the literary group he was a part of in the interwar years.

>Tolkien and three friends, Rob Gilson, Geoffrey Bache Smith and Christopher Wiseman, formed a semi-secret society they called the T.C.B.S. The initials stood for Tea Club and Barrovian Society

>Among their number were Rob Gilson of the Tea Club and Barrovian Society, who was killed on the first day of the Somme while leading his men in the assault on Beaumont Hamel. Fellow T.C.B.S. member Geoffrey Smith was killed during the same battle when a German artillery shell landed on a first aid post. Tolkien's battalion was almost completely wiped out following Tolkien's return to England.

>The Inklings was an informal literary discussion group associated with the University of Oxford, England, for nearly two decades between the early 1930s and late 1949

>The more regular members of the Inklings, many of them academics at the University, included: ... C. S. Lewis ... J. R. R. Tolkien

this definitely made me lose all respect for you.

j/k

i had no respect for you

remember the wise words of C.S. Lewis that the fact that Jesus said a failed prophecy and it's still in the gospels proves that the Bible is both accurate and completely true

yeah, it still feels post-war to be honest, it's all my grandparents ever talk about, the politics still constantly refer to it, we have never quite gotten over our neighbours, etc.

At least you gets to enjoy some of the memes right now.

Er, obviously no such failed prophecy exists.

Just your lies.

And your lies won't exist forever.

according to C.S. Lewis it was a false prophecy

The year of pulling facts out of your ass?

Even if there was a statistical rise in depression, that's just as likely to be a statistical rise in it actually being documented and diagnosed. It's like saying autism is on the rise - it isn't, we just didn't bother to diagnose that shit a few decades ago, or diagnosed it differently.

/this desu desu

The whole push to industrialize 'depression' and any other bullshit mental 'psychological problem' is at fault.

Also, EVERYONE suffers from stress you fucking dipshit.

I take three times worse shit we have now over sitting in the trench, being shoot by a musket or dying from bubonic plague any fucking day.

Define "it".

Suicide rates among Gen X are taking a huge leap.

Not saying I don't believe you but I'd like to see the stats you base that on. What's a 'huge leap' and what's it compared to?

not that user but I have heard suicide rates are up for older men since early 2000's

White, Middle-Age Suicide In America Skyrockets
White, middle-age suicide spiked 40% in the last 10 years. Why?

psychologytoday.com/blog/reading-between-the-headlines/201305/white-middle-age-suicide-in-america-skyrockets

>Also reminder that we still don't really understand why there are more school shootings lately. Trend might pick up even more.

It's called bullying, social ostracism, and isolation you dumb cuck

>cuck
Is that your insult for everything?

>All those innocent people
>Killed for no real reason
Why?

>innocent

"I've heard" is anecdotal.

The article is interesting, although I was hoping to find the actual thing they cite. I know that Canada has a website for statscan that shows the findings of our statistics agency - does the US have a similar agency?

That said, the article is interesting, and part of it I find fascinating is the idea of cultural norms. Suicide is, in a way, more acceptable.

There was a time not long ago where in the western world it was pretty shameful / sinful. Even among non-religious people the stigma of suicide being a sin existed.

Nowadays it evokes sympathy. The decision for someone considering suicide in some cases changes from "do I want to make everyone more ashamed of me?" to "do I want to make everyone feel bad for me and notice what assholes they were to me?"

The decision becomes easier in terms of making a statement. A person in very much the same state of mind might make a very different decision based on that premise. I'd expect it's comparable to societies like Japan where suicide has different and more acceptable conotations.

I read a book not long ago that talked about suicide in the military in terms of culture that addresses it from a similar position. Soldiers are more likely to commit suicide than civilians, but their motives are usually based more on honor and humiliation than actual depression. It's a cultural thing again. Rises in suicide rates don't necessarily mean people, on average, are less happy.

>paranoia
A problem but not there's been worse

>isolation
It's not too bad unless your from Bongistan or Japan

>unemployment
Fair enough but still better than most of the world, and again, we've seen worse.

>crisis
All of these so called "crises" are pretty tame. The only ones that've really got me worried is the environment and to a lesser extent political polarisation.

>social medias
Don't really see how they cause depression or whatever. They probably don't help though.

>massive consumerism
Consumerism now pales in comparison to the 80s and 90s

The world isn't perfect atm but it's a lot better than people seem to believe.

>It's called bullying, social ostracism, and isolation you dumb cuck

Because bullies didn't exist before, right?
All of that shit has existed in schools for as long as schools have existed. Some would argue it used to be worse, if you read up on some of the shit that went down in British boarding schools decades ago you'd think American public schools were a paradise. That is too simple an answer to a more complicated question.

Recipe for normal white men killing themselves:

1. Lost job.
2. Lost house.
3. Lost wife.
4. Grab shotgun.

>if you read up on some of the shit that went down in British boarding schools decades ago you'd think American public schools were a paradise

Britain decades ago didn't hand out guns like candy to its citizens. It still doesn't, as a matter of fact.

America does.

>Implying that 'mental illness' is a made-up phenomena by the Left as a justification for their political agenda.

Sure is modernist in here

So I'd say it ties into emasculation. Again, I'd warrant it's more of an honor thing than a depression thing. There was a time when men felt they had a certain role in society and that's changed.
Like yeah, obviously if you feel humiliated you're also going to feel depressed, but it isn't necessarily a sign of an over-arching malignity.

A funny stat I read recently was that, at least in Canada, men are four times more likely to commit suicide than women, but women are four times more likely to attempt suicide than men.

They don't hand them out here either. They're bloody expensive.

I don't know if you're the guy I'm replying to, but if you are, then there's your answer.

Bullying, ostracism and isolation don't cause school shootings. Giving automatic firearms to dipshit hormone riddled adolescents with poorly developed reasoning of future consequence does.

So what...Its simply evolution. Society is changing and those that cant adjust die out.
Unless something changes monumentally only the utter most weak will die without procreating while the stronger and better adjusted to contemporary society will live on.

>comparing the internet to the horrors of WW1

Suffering is always relative.

>implying tumblr isn't worse than the Somme

I've seen some shit, user. There are things a man can't forget.

That's because Gen X were and are aesthetically and ideologically saner than millenials.

while more creative, more innovative at the same time

>anything from the 60s and after
>traditional