How did this happened?

How did this happened?

The Golden Horde was collapsing and Lithuania chipped off some chunks of it.

Lithuanian opportunist Mindaugas seized some fringe Russian outposts whilemtrying to conquer back small Lithuanian princedom he was ousted from. His descendants like Voiselk and Gediminas thought Orthodoxy and Russian culture was leet, so they added more of it. Algirdas went rull Russiaboo and "I must unite all of Russia under one banner". He failed, but still reached 50% mark and your picrelated.
Grand Lithuania is technically Western Russia, treated as such since forever. Olgerd-Algirdas, Gedimin-Gediminas and Vitovt-Vitautas are depicted among great Russian rulers on Millenium of Russia monument built back in 1862.

>Grand Lithuania is technically Western Russia, treated as such since forever.
Even by people not living in Russia, Belarus or Ukraine?

Yes. Before Jagello it was Orthodox state with Gedimin dynasty heavily intermarrying with Tver and Smolensk Rurikids, Russian state language until 1596 included.
After fail of Skirgailo Grand Duchy of Rus revolt against Sigismund, it started morphung into New Small Poland, yes, finally degrading by early XVII century. Poles ruing everything with their nobkemen anarchy. What else could it be?
Voiselk son of Mindaugas literally used Russian retinue from Novogrudok and Pinsk to reconquer Lithuania from pagan Treniotas that kill Mindaugas and his Orthodox nephew from Polotsk Tautivilas, for start.
It's like asking if Charlemagne Frankish empire is considered as French outside of France and Belgium.

Ruthenia, not Russia.

Polonia, not Poland. Anglia, not England. Bohemia, not Czechia. Francia, not France.

Nah user, there's huge difference, but vata mind won't comprehend it so I don't see any reason to waste my keyboard life on explaining it.

Wasn't Ruthenia a common name for the common forefathers of the Ukrainians, Russians and Belarussians while Anglia, Polonia and Bohemia was used for a specific culture?

What the actual fuck am I reading here

I am not sure if you did find my post weird, but I were just asking in case people who aren't east Slavs treat the grand duchy of Lithunia as technically Western Russia. It's quite important if that's the case or not, as in former you can argue there's some sort of objective reason to do so and in the other that it's just a part of East Slavic Nationalism.

Sorry, I quoted the wrong post. I just meant that the posts before and after yours are two heaping shovel loads of bullshit.

Literally nobody, even Belarussians, treat the GDL as such. Except actual Russians.

Seems like Russians have a habit of going "We Wuz" and "We dindu nuffin"

Actually, not quite, since this dates from the first time of the Mongol invasion of Europe. It actually reflects the complete disintegration of Kievan Rus', as the Mongols were largely unwilling to conquer Ruthenia because the lands that encircled it were basically either a bunch of castles, nothing, or a bunch of castles guarding nothing. The Mongols wanted big cities. Kiev counts as that, but they had no strategic depth, and were always unwilling to leave behind anything more than a token occupying force.

>Lithuanians are a pagan tribe of fierce warriors
>Mongols get weakened
>Lithuanians decide to expand
>Local Slavic population is just fine with Lithuanians
>Lithuanians incorporate Slavic lands into their state but also adopt Ruthenian culture in many ways because their own one is quite weak and undeveloped by that time
>However, it's not just Kievan Rus with a new coat of paint since LIthuanians also brought centralization and an effective way of governing
It was basically a symbiosis of Lithuanian and Ruthenian cultures.

Russia was invented in 1721, you dolt.

Ruthenia in its original sense was used to describe lands of Kingdom of Galicia-Volhynia which can be roughly approximated to what is now Ukraine. In its narrowest sense it only meant Ruthenian Voivodeship of Polish crown (i.e. Eastern Galicia). These days people also spread it to Belarus but historically all of Belarus was simply called Lithuania and these days nationally active Belarusians go WE WUZ like this But Belarus is a sad sad story and a whole new can of worms.

Ruthenia is latin for "land of the Rus'"

Rossia is the greek name

It's true. However, it's important to note that with time these two words grew to have completely different meanings. "Rossiya" wasn't even used widely until Peter I renamed his country to that.

>Yes. Before Jagello it was Orthodox state with Gedimin dynasty heavily intermarrying with Tver and Smolensk Rurikids, Russian state language until 1596 included.

>. Before Jagello it was Orthodox state

State religion wasn't Orthodoxy and all nobility from ethnic Lithuanian were pagans and all grand dukes were ethnic Lithuanian pagans.

> dynasty heavily intermarrying with Tver and Smolensk Rurikids,

That's true.

>Russian state language until 1596 included.

No such thing as state language, simply they used Russian in correspondence with East and German/Latin/Polish with West. There wasn't such thing as a state language.

>The Ruthenian language, also called Chancery Slavonic in its written form, was used to write laws alongside Polish, Latin and German, but use varied between regions.

nice clay

how about some union of lublin

Ad hominem is not an argument, you plebe.

First part is somewhat correct.

Second is beyond retarded. Might as well say English and Scots peoples went extinct in 1801 as British were "invented".
Sadly modern Lithuania is part of the Butthurt Belt, which skewes their perspectives a bit.
Also.
Ruthenia is just Russia in Latin. Anything else us wewuzery. Including myth of Rossia.
Official name of Russia was Rosiyskoe Tsarstvo from 1547, Rusia or Rosia casually. Peter adding one s didn't invent anything.
1549, Siegmund von Herberstein uses Muscovites, Russi and Rutheni as synonyms and states this plainly in his Latin book. The Finnish Gulf was akso called Sinus Livonicus et Ruthenus, bordering no part of Great Lithuania.

Your arguments are invalid, based on propaganda of forced Brest Union of 1596, presenting forced Union church parishioners as Rutheni opposed to "heretical and asiatic" Muscovites free of Catholic violence. Yet same Poles wrote that Muscovites "Rutheni sunt et Ruthenicum loquuntor", that is (they) Rutheni are and (in) Ruthenicum located

Some other posters' ignorance is apaling, so expect no (You) from any reply for level less than

Bimp