Historical weapons thread

What's your favorite historical Veeky Forums? For me it's the zweihandler. Intelligent, nihilistic and with a wicked sense of humor.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JFg9tirtTJ8
youtube.com/watch?v=JiG5idGT_Bc
youtube.com/watch?v=MBmR1QtNnCQ
youtube.com/watch?v=EDkoj932YFo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>inb4 katana

Call me a weeaboo but Katanas really are the most aesthetic swords

For me it's the Chassepot. Intelligent, nihilistic and with a wicked sense of humor.

>Seen a century of service.
>Still in use today
>Not a glock-fuccboi

What is not to like?

Rapiers are cool too.

Contemporary European swords were just as much of a status symbol.

Except straight blades actually work on armored targets. Samurai rarely killed each other with swords; mostly it was spears and bows and arquebi, in the sengoku period anyway

That's beautiful

dang that's a +3 at least

>Germans were technologically ahead of everyone else
>they could have won the Thirty years war if only they could have made enough Zweihanders

When will this meme end. Pic related is superior Russian armour that could easily stop a Zweihander

is there sexier weapon?

gimme an arquebuse with that and i'm good

i don't like you.

broadsword

why did fully armored early middle ages warriors look the best? its true basically across all cultures.

>zweihandler
Mein neger.
Since you already posted my favourite I'll post my second fav.
Behold the danish type XVIIIe sword, also known (or rather modernly called, there's no sources calling it so) as the danish montante.

What's the point of that mini guard?

For half swording.

>What is not to like?

The magazine capacity for starters.

Who /HEMA/ here?

personally the mythical and unique quality of the blade was kind of diminished when I found out the koreans had a near identical sword. Kind of ruins it for me.

It's all about the helmet 'stache.

>katana
>mythical and unique quality

It's just a fucking short, chubby chopping sword with a broad stabby bit. I really don't get the katana hype.

>No Indian weapons
A regular old Tulwar is good enough for me

>katana
>not mythical
nigga it's the most romanticized weapon out there

Katar with dual flintlocks attached are also cool.

The actual quality of the weapon has absolutely nothing to do with that fanwanking, though.

All my this

And if cant use bladed weapons I'll use a bagh nakh.

Korean "katanas" are likely influenced by Japanese katanas exported to Korea and China. In turn, Japanese katanas were influenced by Chinese curved swords even further back.

Also the typical two handed katana design was probably not prevalent in Korean military. Yi Sun Shin, for example, is always depicted with a huge sword, but most likely never saw combat and was a badge more than anything.

Pic related was a more common sword during Joseon period. Similar in design but shorter blade and one handed.

This is making me cringe so much

Anything that's oakeshott XVII

I know it's not practical for killing but they are simply beautiful and fun to throw.

It uses .45 you 9mm fuccboi.

/k/ memes are so cringe.

Longsword with crusader armor is the most aesthetic combination

But their bucket helm.

>crusader armor

Which crusade?

le based remove kebab crusade of course, they're the only ones

They still used katanas. A lot. Don't even try to pretend. Weapons like spears and the naga were in fact made specifically to counter swords.

You mean the design stolen from japs because they love everything japs do? (like animu manga)

>being this illiterate

American, pls.

Falchion best girl

I'm a fan of kriegsmessers and grossemessers. Something about the aesthetic is just really nice.

Khopesh desu

nice vibroblade brah

honestly it's a good gun

battle on the ice is a meme battle. it was more of a skirmish, and only promoted by russian historians for propaganda purposes

I wish, nothing within an hour of me though.

God tier taste familiar

Also the most anachronic, well no not the most but it ain't too bad.
Thanks Ridley Scott I guess ?

>Except straight blades actually work on armored targets.
O really ? Don't go an say half-swording cause the japanese could do this as well.
Swords aren't good against armored people, you can make them less shitty, but they aren't a good choice against people in armor. Even an estoc is a bit silly when you can have a poleaxe.

looks like a wakizashi to be honest

love this nagimaki blades

I doubt the percentage of Europeans wounded on the battlefield by swords was much higher than Japanese of the same period, off the top of my head maybe 5%

Sideswords. Good god they're nimble, feel fucking amazing in your hand, still have complex hilts so your don't get your hand hit nearly as often as with a normal single sword, are better balanced than backswords and sabers, and can cut better than a rapier. They're also goddamn /sexy/. Before the end of the year, I want a Regenyei one.

thats a Bidenhänder
That ain't no Rapier

Yup, I do, Longsword, Messer, Military Saber.

Today, a friend of mine showed me an 18th century Kinzhal with a blade made from black Chorosan Wootz and a massive silver handle. I'm still erected.

Nippon-dutch smallsword with curazy blades because why the hell not !? And pariser smallswords in general...

youtube.com/watch?v=JFg9tirtTJ8
Always go full frutti di mare.

This

did you receive any formal training? if so, where?
or is it just manuals and sparring with friends?

/k/ memes are great

you have never LARPd or even witnessed a fencing match

Anyone have more information about these things?

The Portuguese had been long gone by the mid 18th century, if they were making replacement blades it implies someone was carrying them

other user, but what do you mean by this?

small swords are basically child sized rapiers m8
also it cant cut for shit, its too light and hilt heavy
they look nice tho

You will never get hit in the hand by a sword if you're not retarded

with proper guard, this is true, then again, if you're doing everything perfectly, you never get hit ever.

maybe he means to say that the design lends it to being easier. my swordfu basket-hilted broadsword, for clear reasons, means you'll never get hit in the hand by design alone.

The hands and wrists are one of the most common targets in swordsmanship, I don't know where your coming from

That's a rapier for piercing you don't even get a point in fencing unless it's a body shot

Well that's fine for rapiers I guess. rapiers do have sharpened edges though dont they?

>i dont know fencing

nah, the gentle curves on the Katana are aesthetic as fuck.

same with things like kriegmessers and 1822/1845 infantry officers saber

If you aren't erect it's because you're gay

Side swords start at "arming swords with complex hilts" end end at proto-rapiers. Especially the former are perfectly fine cutting weapons.

Are you supposed to grab the rings? I can't imagine how you do it.

For doing stuff like this. More control.

Take a look at where the sword wielding guy puts his finger. Imagine what happens when a blade slides down the wrong way. That's why they added the rings.

10,000 minutes in photoshop

My nigger. Sideswords, rapiers, and sabers all make my dick diamonds. Though I never could get into epees or smallswords or anything of the sort.

I thought you put your hand into the lower ring and grab the upper ring.

yeah no

The rings are mostly defences to protect your fingers from cuts. They are generally not grabbed - at least in the case of side-swords or rapiers.

Except the hand is one of the most vulnerable parts of your fucking body.

10+ years sports fencing, 4+ years in a proper HEMA club.
Son, you are wrong, on pretty much anything you said.

But thats wrong!
youtube.com/watch?v=JiG5idGT_Bc

youtube.com/watch?v=MBmR1QtNnCQ
>posting Easton vid
>feel really dirty now
>Veeky Forums, you suck at swords, really bad.

I think you're misunderstanding what I said. Refer to to get an idea of what is not done. The defensive rings of a complex hilt of side-swords and rapiers are not "hilts". You may hook into them naturally when holding the weapon, but you don't specifically grab them in the sense of doing something akin to fencing with the half-sword or something.

youtube.com/watch?v=EDkoj932YFo

>mfw katanas

You realize that gif is fake right? Here's the real one.

Not the guy you're talking to but take a look at the shape of the blade, it actually changes during the cut. This seems to be the real one.

Would have surprised me if a katana could cut through a broadsword lol

The Japanese were actually known to have shitty iron so they couldn't make good enough swords to do that.

Katanas as you know them today, were developed during the Tokugawa period, a time of relative peace, but a rigid class system with a warrior class who wore swords mostly for the purpose of honor. This honor was represented by the status affording to the ownership of a costly object, displayed a sense of aesthetic taste and refinement, and would be used to protect one's honor when dueling or insulted by a filthy peasant.

They are not highly specialized dueling weapons, although they were not dedicated war blades either. If needed they could perform either function, but were not optimized for either.

During that period, swords were mostly made for aesthetics, placing an emphasis on an aesthetic hamon, a line differentiating between different forms of steel, shape, fittings etc.

Their performance was optimized for being extremely sharp, because the most likely use was for test cutting or practice, not actual use in combat. They would be optimized to cut tatami, and according to some sources, unarmored corpses or criminals, as this was the accepted way of determining how good a blade was. This sharpness requires a very hard, fragile, rare high carbon steel edge. In order to compensate for that, the non-edge part of the sword was made with more common lower softer steel that was ductile and would bend instead of shatter.

Which explains your picture.

Your picture shows a blade made in a similar fashion to Tokugawa era swords. The European sword uses high quality modern steel, with a durable through temper and thicker cutting edge. It makes fewer compromises of durability for aesthetics, tradition or sharpness, and is closer to a warblade.

The fact that it is made from modern steel makes it stronger, where the techniques used for katana were mostly to compensate for the limitations of historical steel in Japan, and offer less benefit with modern steel. And again, compromises are made for aesthetics and absolute slicing sharpness.

God that makes me fucking mad. Some dude probably spent ages making those and then these dickheads just wreck them. I get that that's the point of the video but man it pisses me off.

Pretty sure he's baiting. It's an edited version of with a cut between the katana being raised and the longsword(?) from later in the vid hitting another longsword.

>implying it isn't some $50 mass produced chinese replica

>american style documentary
my god, I just can't stop laughing
I kept waiting for them to measure something by lengths of a football field