Hamilton Thread

"WE WUZ FOUNDING FATHERS AND SHEEIT" aside, what do you guys think of the hottest musical on Broadway and also parts of mainstream media?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!ekMlASpB!00u3sP0b5NbSL5GXvcw8Fw
mega.nz/#F!8tU2WLrY!Putbj9nmQiqAF7dwjffN_w
mega.nz/#F!vU1HRA5D!yBcbOYpETiGtXDg3tfTWDw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_of_1819
wfmt.com/wp-content/themes/wfmt/live-stream.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't.

You don't what?

>what do you guys think of the hottest musical on Broadway

Ew.

I really like the show. I don't really like all the popularity it's received lately, but I think it's deserved because after all of these shit musicals that are adapted after movies, someone makes something very original, and they do a really good job at it.

I'm in theatre n shit and I loved this musical when it came out but it's gotten too bloated and over-popular. Also Miranda's justification for rewriting the Founding Father's race is bullshit.

I really like it. One of my friends even got me the book with all the lyrics and behind the scenes stuff.

I don't care about the diversity changes, it's not a retcon of history, it's a fucking adaptation. Although I think the symbolism of "representing america NOW" isn't relevant in a historical musical reenactment of a specific man's life.
I think Miranda could have just said "I think this Leslie Odom Jr. was best as Aaron Burr for his acting and singing skills" and it would have been fine. It's just pretentious and dumb to make it anything more than that.

Regardless, The Room Where It Happens is the best song and if you disagree I will fucking respect your opinion and continue the friendly discussion of this play.

>actor here
Musical theater is the plague of theater. The PLAGUE. Musical actors are cool though, generally because they are more talented than other actors. With great talent generally comes a type of humility.

>Hey guys, it's not a history textbook, it's representative of America today
>A large majority of our audience is from Tumblr, the site where the consensus is that white people appropriate other cultures because they have no culture of their own
>Meanwhile, here are some historically white figures rewritten to be non-white
>Hey, come out and audition for Hamilton... but only if you're not white
>Even though the character description for the lead, Alexander, literally calls him "Sweeney Todd meets Eminem"
>Even though we also have white people in the ensemble of the cast right now
>And they understudy the principal characters as well
>I also guess it doesn't help that I'm looking for non-white rappers even though I wrote some really white raps

Well then you have extremely bad taste.

>being upset that Americans love an unapologetically patriotic musical about the founding of this great republic

Tory scum please leave.

Who here wants to watch a bootleg of it? I actually have a couple available that I'd be willing to post if you guys request it.

fuck yeah user post it

Hamilton
2015.07 - Previews | Broadway
Lin Manuel Miranda (Alexander Hamilton), Phillipa Soo (Eliza Hamilton), Leslie Odom Jr (Aaron Burr), Renee Elise Goldsberry (Angelica Schuyler), Christopher Jackson (George Washington), Daveed Diggs (Marquis de Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson), Okieriete Onaodowan (Hercules Mulligan/James Madison), Anthony Ramos (John Laurens/Philip Hamilton), Jasmine Cephas Jones (Peggy Schuyler/Maria Reynolds), Jonathan Groff (King George), Sydney James Harcourt (Philip Schuyler/James Reynolds/Doctor), Thayne Jasperson (Samuel Seabury), Jon Rua (Charles Lee), Ephraim Sykes (George Eacker)
mega.nz/#F!ekMlASpB!00u3sP0b5NbSL5GXvcw8Fw

Hamilton
2015.12.29 | Broadway
Lin Manuel Miranda (Alexander Hamilton), Phillipa Soo (Eliza Hamilton), Leslie Odom Jr (Aaron Burr), Renee Elise Goldsberry (Angelica Schuyler), Christopher Jackson (George Washington), Daveed Diggs (Marquis de Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson), Okieriete Onaodowan (Hercules Mulligan/James Madison), Anthony Ramos (John Laurens/Philip Hamilton), Jasmine Cephas Jones (Peggy Schuyler/Maria Reynolds), Jonathan Groff (King George), Sydney James Harcourt (Philip Schuyler/James Reynolds/Doctor), Daniel J Watts (t/r Samuel Seabury), Neil Haskell (Charles Lee), Ephraim Sykes (George Eacker), Gerald Avery, Carleigh Bettiol, Sasha Hutchings, Emmy Raver Lampman, Austin Smith, Betsy Struxness, Kamille Upshaw
mega.nz/#F!8tU2WLrY!Putbj9nmQiqAF7dwjffN_w - MP4
mega.nz/#F!vU1HRA5D!yBcbOYpETiGtXDg3tfTWDw - VOB

"Right hand man" Is pretty bangin'

WE ARE OUTGUNNED!
OUTMANNED!
OUT NUMBERED!
OUT PLANNED!

WE GOTTA MAKE AN ALL-OUT STAND!
AYO, I'M GONNA NEED A RIGHT HAND MAN!

>we wuz foudning father n shiet
Actually kind of neato.

bump

>not I Know Him

>not Non-Stop

I tried to listen to the soundtrack and got turned off by how fucking black the music sounds. I don't like hip-hop, I don't like this sound at all, I don't like that this musical has been used to brush Andrew Jackson under the rug for being racist while promoting worship of pro-national bank scum.

>this musical
>used to brush andrew Jackson under the rug

Are you high?

>wahh the national bank is bad

I hope you enjoy having a highly unstable money supply in constant danger of going kaboom and causing a nasty recession. Because that's exactly what happens when you have no central bank.

HERCULES
MULLIGAN

>racists bitching about a musical

It's this kind of quality thread that keeps Veeky Forums great

>against a national bank
I know this is Veeky Forums not /econ/ but come on man, jesus christ you can't be this woefully ignorant about economics. Andrew Jackson at least had the excuse of being alive before the development of modern econ theory but you don't.

Even champions of the free market like Hayek acknowledged the necessity of having a national bank.

>Because that's exactly what happens when you have no central bank
You do realize it happens with the bank too, right?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_of_1819
Jackson had plenty of reason to hate the bank

Was Jackson politically relevant at the time? I thought he only became famous after 1812.

>Not that one meme song

Can't find tickets.

thanks m8!

>implying there are non-meme songs
It's broadway

It's shit.

>the bank fucked up one time
>it was an easy mistake to fix permanently
>so let's get rid of it and let the economy crash a whole shitload more because the bank won't be able to stop the other banks from engaging in exactly the same activity that caused the panic in the first place

Wow, 10/10 logic.

You do realize most of the founding fathers were complete autists right?

>Even champions of the free market like Hayek acknowledged the necessity of having a national bank.
I'm not a champion of the free market, I'm saying the national bank as it was instituted was shit. So is the Federal Reserve.
I don't know when this shit blackwashed musical is set.

>I don't even know a damn thing about macroeconomics, this musical, or monetary policy, but Imma post anyway

Has summer come early? Or are you just as arrogant as you are ignorant?

Pandering to 12% of the population who won't watch your production is stupid IMO.

Mediocre otherwise. We could use more media on the Founders, but preferably without the bigotry of this one.

WE WUZ-tier garbage

>wahh Miranda made an artistic choice I don't like: the post

>summer
This phenomenon is a myth.
How about you explain to me why the national bank was a great thing?

What's your point?
Who's Miranda?

You're free to have your own opinions. If you like it, that's fine.

That your dislike of the show isn't based on the quality, the themes, or really anything other than the fact that the cast isn't full of white people. Which is just as silly as hating a musical because the cast is all-white.

1. I'm not that poster.
2. Is it now racist not to enjoy a soundtrack?
3. Who cares why people don't like musicals?

>Is it now racist not to enjoy a soundtrack?
No, but that wasn't his objection.

He only really cared about:
>Pandering to 12% of the population who won't watch your production is stupid IMO
and
>but preferably without the bigotry of this one

He didn't express any specific opinion on the musical composition, writing, or really anything else besides the choice made to cast mostly non-white actors and actresses.

>besides the choice made to cast mostly non-white actors and actresses.
Why should that be uncontroversial?

Easy. What the national banks does:
1) Promote a stable currency
2) Regulate the issuance of credit by other banks
3) Prevent those banks from tanking the economy by issuing tons of paper money without any good reason, which was very profitable for the banks but created a tragedy of the commons when they all did it.

If you think those things aren't vital to the health of the economy, then I question whether you've ever read a single book about macroeconomics in your entire life.

Because plenty of Broadway shows cast mostly white actors and actresses and nobody really gives a damn.

>racist
Nice buzzword. Shitskins throw a fit when they feel their culture is being appropriated (despite the fact they literally have no culture of their own that isn't terrible, and try claiming other peoples' cultures all the time). And yet when the shitskins pull this stunt, nobody cares. Fuck off, cuck.

Most people who listen to Broadway music are white. This is pandering to 12% of the public that doesn't care about musical theater in the first place.
I mean, it's even obvious. It's how marketing works. Broadway needs to expand its appeal to survive in a world with fewer white people.
>I question whether you've ever read a single book about macroeconomics in your entire life.
I haven't. I was being hyperbolic in my initial post, anyway, autist.

>he thinks a MacArthur foundation certified genius's casting choices are based off of muh pandering

Are you merely pretending again?

Are you denying the importance of marketing?

Communist propaganda.

>Musical theater is the plague of theater. The PLAGUE.
I do community theater and I only ever do musicals. It's fun, but I enjoy the sense of community I have with the rest of the cast more than I enjoy the music, and way more than I enjoy watching musicals.
People who don't do theater but love musical theater are a serious problem.

bump

Is anyone else listening to the Lyric Opera Chicago audio broadcast of The King and I right now? Kate Baldwin is fantastic as Anna.

wfmt.com/wp-content/themes/wfmt/live-stream.php

Also it has the prince from the Brandy TV film version of Cinderella as the king, so there's that.

IT MUST BE NICE

ive heard nothing but good things about it and i would love to see it live, but i know a few college tumblr people who are obsessed with it and call it the greatest musical production ever and listen to nothing else so im sick of it already

I'm a theatrefag and I got put off from for a while, but it ended up being a 6.5/10 musical which is good in my book. The fanbase is the worst thing about it definitely.

southern mothaFUCKING DEMOCRATIC REPUBLICANS

>WE WUZ FOUNDING FATHERS AND SHEEIT
When did anyone say this?
Why are white people so fucking insecure about this sort of shit? Jesus christ, get a fucking grip.

About a fifth or fourth of Veeky Forums comes from /pol/ and they're very attuned to wewuz shitposting

OP here. I'm Filipino

Just as attuned as the fifth of this board from Veeky Forums

m8, both /int/ and Veeky Forums we wuz post. By now, it's just general culture.

Veeky Forums and /int/ don't spam facebook posts and twitter posts made by dumb afrocentrists on their boards though

>/int/
They do it all the time. I've seen it a few times on Veeky Forums too, book related ofc

Yes they do
They also spam politically motivated garbage into apolitical threads because
1) They can't distinguish between politics and the discussion of history, or are unwilling to acknowledge that distinction
2) When they acknowledge it, they refuse to discuss theories detachedly and instead insist that the consequences of any theory for revolutionary practice are more important than the truth of the theory.
3) They refuse to post on /pol/ because people there disagree with them, or because they're trying to convert others to their ideology
4) They're just fucking dumb, just like most of /pol/

Stop pretending the left is substantially different from the right in terms of anything other than the policies they advocate
Veeky Forums, /int/, /leftypol/, it's all the same stupid hivemind. Make political threads on the politics board.

>About a fifth or fourth of Veeky Forums comes from /pol/

more like a 3rd desu

t. /pol/

What an incredibly useless post. You've contributed nothing at all to this discussion. As I say, if you want to discuss politics, you should post on /pol/. That's what I do. I'm not even a Trumpfag or a fascist, I'm a classical liberal.

nice buzzword

>one time
>fed gets created to stabilize economy after free banking era
>economy has the biggest crash in national history within 15 years

Eh. I don't like how they demonize Thomas Jefferson because of "le slaves!!1!". The whole thing with not casting white actors is dumb too. Cast minority actors, sure, but completely omitting white people from the American Revolution is retarded.

Really enjoyed it actually. Yes we all know the founders weren't black, but I think it's a decent way to get more people interested in history and the founding. It's also basically accurate and the music is very catchy.

9/10, would watch a lot

They just want you to know what racism feels like user.

I think it's relevance is way overstated, this play has had about 0 cultural impact in our society. The only impact it's had was getting a few people butthurt.
whocares.jpg there are a lot more important things going on in this world than some sjw faggots trying to rustle jimmies

Honestly I don't mid racechanging in theatre, it's all about the actor themself, unlike fil which has an interest in realism.

I'm mixed race, my melanin enriched compatriot. Getting called shit in middle school was enough.

Where the fuck did you go to school that such behavior was allowed? In the glorious far left utopia of Massachusetts openly bullying a kid by hurling racial slurs would get you suspended or expelled.

>it has like no cultural impact at all
>that's why there are celebreties and government officials at nearly every showing
>and why the President went to see it
>and why the album is selling like hotcakes

Yeah, keep telling yourself that.

What's so bad about musical theatre/musical theatre people specifically?

Theatrefag here. They're fucking preps who are so overly fruity. They think real life is as over-the-top as the shows that they watch and are outright annoying.

It's unfair that Washington doesn't get heat for his slave use in the play and also the only off-putting thing about them being played by black people. But it goes to show how smart Washinton was about freeing his slaves to solidify his image in the future.

Perfect storm of mass appeal.
Worthless drivel as a work of art in any objective or lasting sense.

The president saw Our American Cousin, too.

The FAR FAR FAR left utopia of San Francisco.

>Cast minority actors, sure, but completely omitting white people from the American Revolution is retarded.
>completely omitting white people from the American Revolution

It's a good thing that there are white people in the cast then, isn't it?

I meant from major roles.

>king
>not major

>I think it's relevance is way overstated, this play has had about 0 cultural impact in our society.

well

>homes in areas where Alexander Hamilton lived have spiked in real estate value due to people flocking to those parts of NYC
>various Alexander Hamiilton exhibitions, just about ignored before the musical camp out, were so swamped swamped they required extra security and extensions
>creator is winning just about every kind of award, named one of the most influential people of the year
>massive popularity of the musical made them reverse the decision to remove Hamilton from the $10
>literal school programs are being created around the concept of teaching kids about the American Revolution, as well as Hamilton the musical, then having them attend the show (on massively cheap tickets, subsidized by the show's producers) and write about the inaccuracies and various changes made for the theatrical show
>multiple productions opening with open casting calls aimed at cultivating talent who aren't normally part of the theatrical community (aka encouraging people with no theater experience to audition)

and that's just off the top of my head

George III is a major role. Multiple major roles have white understudies.

So this thread got me to download the soundtrack and it's bretty good.

make sure to watch

same user. Alexander Hamilton was the greatest of the founding fathers imo but people I hate love it so much I don't even want to watch it.

see for yourself

Are you guys hipsters or something
>i cant like it because someone else likes it and its so pleb and mainstream and my tastes are so much better
Are you refusing to watch Force Awakens because normals saw it?

Which was arguably the most impactful play ever performed in US history, although the reason for that impact has nothing to do with the content of the play itself.

It's not because it's mainstream, if it was something that normies liked, I probably would watch it for the hype; but it's these "theater people" who I fucking can't stand that never shut up about it.

Boo hoo