How is Turkish history taught in Turkish schools?

How is Turkish history taught in Turkish schools?

Do they go all the way back to ancient Persian/Mespotamian empires? Do they cover the Roman empire? Or does there history not focus on that stuff and start with the Ottomans?

Other urls found in this thread:

npr.org/sections/parallels/2016/04/28/474983311/terrorism-fears-and-travel-bans-shake-tourism-in-turkey
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Pretty sure they start from the Goturks or Huns. Also not meaning to be /pol/ tier here but what's up with Turks trying to claim ethnic Persians like Rumi as their own?

WE

WAZ

no

Turkish here, people "claim" Rumi cuz he was in Turkey so they "claim" as cultural heritage not an ethnic thing he also wrote some Turkish poems too, Then again Persians claim Seljuklu was persian so i guess it goes both ways, the line between muslim Persian and Turkish get rather muddy with Suljuklus tho, so i guess it is understandable
tho we learned Scythians were Turkic tho it was like 10 years ago and scythians were thought to be Turkic before if i remember correct.
We learn Hatti, Hitites, Urartian, Greeks and Romans but very shortly
we learned a little about Xiongnu, Huns, Gokturks and all that central asian stuff equally shortly
most of the history dwelled in Seljuklu and Ottoman era and how Turks came to anatolia
equally big amount of time were spent learning Ataturk's revolution and foundation of republic etc
also learned WW1 and Turkish independence war

>Persians claim Seljuklu was Persian
They don't. Rumi even has written how he disdains and hates Turks, so the line is pretty clear there.

Also:
>Scythians
>Turkic
No. They were the same stock as other Iranic people, spoke an Iranian language, and have nothing to do with Turks.

Nothing happened at all from 1915 to 1918 except for the Armenians peacefully moving somewhere else.

I graduated from high school 10 years ago. Basically this is accurate Here's a brief summary

>Very little ancient history, with a focus on Hittites but Greeks-Romans-Egyptians etc are also mentioned
>Turkic or Turk-like khaganates nomad folk history. Uygurs, Scythians, Huns etc
>Islamic Turks, Karahanids, Seljuks, Sultanate of Rum etc
>Ottoman History
>Republican History until WWII
I had a discussion with a turk from germany on the local chan. He refused to believe Scythian were indo european and discarded the evidence-scholarly work when I pointed out some sources regarding Iranian languages. Strange bunch.

Current goverment tries to play down the republican era but I don't know how they can exacurate the ottoman era as it was already huge already.

There is also an upcoming interest in Byzantine Scholarship with two institutes of Late Antiquity-Byzantine Empire being opened in Istanbul.

>There is also an upcoming interest in Byzantine Scholarship with two institutes of Late-Antiquity-Byzantine Empire being opened in Istanbul.
I imagine the Greeks wouldn't like this being done in their sworn enemies country.

I didnt say Scythians were Turks, learn to read.
I said we learned it as that but it was before so maybe they corrected it now.
i literally fucking met Persians who claim that.

I'm a Turkish Byzantinist, As far as I know Greeks are okay with it. We had a Greek professor who was an ottoman historian tbqh (Eugenia Kermeli). Maybe some far right greeks go all the say to sjw and cry cultural approbation . But majority of the Greeks have far bigger problems than Byzantine Studies.

Greek here, can confirm that most people nowadays don't care about happens in Turkey or Constantinople, unless it's a terrorist attack or smth. I doubt something like this would ever be in the news, let alone be noticed by anyone. Everything is about politics, reforms and new policies now. Literally everything.

just wondering, how many people still want Constantinople back or see it as theirs?

Same here best of luck komshi
I don't know much about Greece but it seem far right talks about it while majority do not give a shit (as I said they have bigger problems than Constantinople)

Funnily enough On internet I had seen mostly americans/canadians obssessed about Constantinople. Some form of Byzabooism perhaps.

>how many people still want Constantinople
Well I guess if you asked a random Greek about that, they would say they wanted it back, obviously. It was and still is considered the jewel of whatever nation has it within its borders, whether it's Byzantium or Turkey.

> see it as theirs?
School doesn't really encourage kids to let go of Constantinople. Byzantium is taught as having been an extension of Greece (which isn't entirely wrong) so a lot of people see Constantinople as familiar or "rightful clay", a second capital, if you will. I'd say most Greeks feel really close to Constantinople still today but accept that it has been Turkified, what with the mosques and stuff. Overall, I'd say it's still a sensitive topic for Greeks, but a lot of people have come to terms with it and accept Constantinople as the Turkish city that it is.

We start with the Hittites and ended with the missile crisis

I wanna know how that see the Byzantines.

Are they considered an enemy that Turks conquered? (I.e they were Greeks that we BTFO)

Or are they considered a part of their heritage? (I.e we wuz Romans)

Turk here, Byzantine is thought as the rival nation that got btfo
literally in my entire life, i have never seen a Turk considered Byzantine as part of their heritage(i.e we wuz Romans) i first heard that in Veeky Forums
acutally most common of "heritage" thing is "we are anotolian" shit, even more than "we wuz nomads"

btw whats that black guy doing next to Mehmet?

I'm the Byzantinist fag here Most of Turkish History is focused on Middle-Late Ottoman Period. Hence Byzantines do not get a lot of attention that a rival should deserve as Austrians or Russians. But Byzantines were regarded as Perfidious-Treacherous in movies etc. You could see the Edward Gibbons influence.

The heritage depends on the ideology. An Islamist would focus on Islamic heritage a nationalist would focus on Central Asian heritage. Classical Heritage was sadly ignored due to 2 reason 1-Turks also had a high oriental especially Persian influence 2-Classical Heritage being adopted by Greeks and Europeans, making it harder to associate with a national identity

But the guy in your picture Mehmed II did know his latin and greek, read his homer and visited Hectors "grave/monument" near Troy. There is also a growing influx of we are 3rd rome meme but it is mostly a meme and not taking seriously. Byzantine scholarship and general public interest is also on the rise. 20-25 years ago It would be hard if not impossible to see scholars going to TV and discussion Ottoman adaptations from Byzantine culture or Byzantine on air.

Regarding Classical Greece-Romans Turkey seperates them totally and look at them as they look at Hittites. If trends continue Byzantine Interest will soar in the near future.

Thanks for the in depth answers guys

Second.

This thread is gold

>pic somewhat related

i wonder how many people know that hagia sophia's dome collapsed 2 times in byzantium period but when ottomans conquered it, they added bunch of buttresses/structural elements and shit along with minarets and it hadnt collapsed ever since even withstanding a big earthquake in 1999
great place tho, everyone should visit it someday

/pol/tards would remove all ottocuck influence and make the church collapse..

Minarets make it look much cooler tho

They make it look like the palace of evil.

Symbols of getting cucked

How do Turkish history classes deal with topics like the sexual slavery of minors under the Ottomans?

Anyone who sings that ridiculous meme song about Istanbul's name change, for one

Same way they deal with talking about the Armenian genocide.

The same way Italians and Greeks deal with boy fucking in their country.
>let me tell you about your country
Armenian Genocide is dealt in syllabus, but the state propaganda version. It is not swept under the rug completely

Its a common fact, Orguz. The fact you just conceded it is still manipulated in your own education to be not the way the rest of the world explores it is enough.

I accept it as fact, the world accept it as fact but the Turkish state will never accept it. and the only acceptance that matters in not whether France or Argentina's but Turkeys. Armenians are really delusional if they think they can get their land back peacefully. Blood is the only way. Turkey is not going to accept it, To accept it would be a political suicide.

Hence I respect Monte Melkoryan more than the glendale fedayees who drive bmws 364 times a year and protest at the nearest turkish consulate for one day.

OP here, great thread mates, thanks Turkish/Byzantine anons for weighing in.

I'm a huge fan of Byzantine history. Really wanted to go to Istanbul this summer. US State Departments warns against it now.

Apparently the Hagia Sophia is empty at the moment. You don't have to fight massive crowds to see the beauty. npr.org/sections/parallels/2016/04/28/474983311/terrorism-fears-and-travel-bans-shake-tourism-in-turkey

Sometimes ISIS really grinds my gears. Do you think the state department is overreacting? Should I go?

Don't go. Attacks happen, thanks to the foreign policy fuck up of Erdogan. Plus less tourist income will crash economy thus erdogans rule faster. Do your part.

They talk about how they rule whole world because cockroaches can be find everywhere.

So are you Greek or Cypriot?

I can't even boycott Chick-Fil-A, how am I supposed to boycott the Hagia Sophia.

I probably won't go though, maybe it'll be safe in a couple years I guess...

They leave out the Armenian genocide thats for sure

>Rumi even has written how he disdains and hates Turks, so the line is pretty clear there.

lol this is fucking bullshit, one of his poems is literally saying about that he is turkish

armenian shills and cucks at it again

How dare they "insult turkishness", which is actually a crime in turkey

/int/ mememaster, I'm /int/ mememaster

By that logic, the whole world is Armenian.

>Rumi
>Turkish

It's basically
>we wuz nomads and shit
>MUH GLORIOUS OTTOMAN EMPIRE WE WAZ THE BEST
>revolution and republic, not as good as ottoman empire t b h famicom

Coming soon:
>the rise of the AKP and reign of Supreme Emperor-Presidente Erdoğan

>Rumi
>born in the city of Balkh
>which was ethnically Persian
>identifies as Persian
>shits on Turks
>his son shits on Turks
>moved west to escape Turks and Mongol invaders
>"poems about Turkish"
>his master was fucking Shams Tabrizi, a noted Persian poet and writer
>"Turkish"
Source your ass.

Rumi's use of the word "Turk" isn't the same as the one you use today. Look it up. And his relationship with "the Turk" (more like Turks) was pretty complicated, it didn't consist of just shitting on them.
And in any case, he has been and is a beloved figure for the Turks since his death, so there's that. What he was doesn't matter.

>What he was doesn't matter.
Except it does. We know the ethnicity of Rumi going back generations before his own father's, and again after his son's settlement in the Turkic Sultanate of Rum. They were born of a Persian line, part of an Iranian culture and people and are not Turkic or Turkish in any shape or form.

Get the fuck out of here with this cultural appropriation shit.

We weren't taught the middle ages. We were learn ancient civ til Rome and then start at the renaissance focusing exclusively on Europe.

Again, nobody claims he was ethnically Turkish.
Rumi's own culture indeed wasn't Turkic, but he went on to have an impact on Turkish culture, which is why he has such an importance on Turkish culture. As far as his historical importance goes his lineage has literally 0 importance, and no one gives a shit about it today either.

>Again, nobdoy claims he was ethnically Turkish.
Are you blind or willfully ignorant? What's this then: >As far as his historical goes his lineage has literally 0 importance
That can be said of any historical figure from the looking glass of the international community, irregardless you are wrong because his ethnicity is very important to Persian people he is from.
>and no one gives a shit about it today
Absolutely wrong.

"nobody" is not meant to be taken literally. What that poster says is also true by the way, he does have a poem where he says that. But it doesn't actually necessarily mean that he was talking about a cultural belonging.
>That can be said of any historical figure from the looking glass of the international community
Only within geographically close communities. For example, there's a reason why some Nepali and Indians have disputes over whether the Buddha was born in modern-day Nepal or India. None of the other Asian Buddhist nations, despite massive changes in culture after the adoption of Buddhism, don't consider the Buddha as part of their own culture in the same way Turks do with Rumi because they are geographically and culturally separate from India.
China's Qianlong Emperor was ethnically and culturally Manchu, but he went ahead and declared himself to be Chinese anyway, partially mixing and matching both cultures and has been considered so by everyone except certain reactionary Chinese who rejected his cultural appropriation by the Chinese on those grounds of lineage.
Rumi literally lived for a fact among Turks in what is Turkish land today, knew how to use the language and sometimes wrote in it, and had a cultural impact in that very land, hence he is retroactively considered part of Turkish culture by Turks. What can be considered problematic here is this retroactive view, but I personally don't care. You can keep getting mad at it if you want, but it's really not worth it.

>his ethnicity is very important to Persian people he is from.
>Absolutely wrong.
Are you one of those Persians by any chance?
But yes, I should have said "no one in Turkey gives a shit about it today". The attitude is basically recognizing that he wasn't a Turk, while considering him a part of Turkish culture (while NOT denying that he is also a part of many other cultures, including Persian). There is literally nothing wrong with this outside the minds of contrarian shits.

>Are you one of those Persians by any chance?
No I'm not Persian or Iranian but I don't particularly like people who purposely obfuscate historical figures when academically they have been proven to belong to another.

I'm perfectly fine if you are a Turk and consider him part of Turkish culture, as long as you are aware of the fact that Rumi is Persian.

Basically

>Holy
>Persian
>Empire