Can you convince a nihilist that life is worth living?

Can you convince a nihilist that life is worth living?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5GOZjlwIwfk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No.
/thread

No, because a nihilist who thinks life is worth living, by definition, has become an absurdist.

No more easily than you can convince him that suicide is worth bothering about.

You clearly don't understand nihilism.

I'd wager the vast majority of suicides weren't made by nihilists.

Religious people outnumber atheists by huge numbers so of course this is true.

Or are you speaking in relative terms? I don't have statistics on atheists but there is a point often made by evangelicals that protestants kill themselves more often than catholics, reasoning that it's because they don't have an effective, personal connection with God.

Famous social scientist that pointed it out. Just can't recall much about it.

memes are what keep me alive tbqh

care to explain?

Life is meaningless but that's only a problem if you expected life to have meaning, which isn't terribly nihilist.

In other words it's meaningless that life is meaningless. That's the ultimate freedom.

A meaningless existence is more stimulating than a meaningless nonexistence.
something is more than nothing.

Not him, but nihilism is simply a belief that there is no *objective* meaning to life.

But you can't prove that we actually exist.

stimulation is more than nonstimulation.
if you "don't exist" then whatever qualifies as being on is better than being off.

>who is decartes

What exactly did he "prove"? By what means?

Nobody is actually a nihilist because people act AS IF life has purpose and meaning by their every day actions.

It's an intellectual construct they've created and associated with. But you are NOT the contents of your intellect. You are alot more and most of that is hidden, just under the surface.

>spoonfeed me freshman-level philosophy

I already know what Descartes claimed. I'm asking if you know.

>Nobody is actually a nihilist because people act AS IF life has purpose and meaning by their every day actions.

How so? Most people live life in a fashion that can be best described as "just because."

>How so? Most people live life in a fashion that can be best described as "just because."

And? Because they can't describe WHY they do something does that mean they have no purpose?

It doesn't matter if you think it has meaning or not, you have no choice but to pretend it does and act as tho it does. Sure you can always kill yourself, but even that is making a statement about meaning. Also, nihilism doesn't suggest life is not worth living, only that the meaning we find in life is man-made, not divine.

A nihilist life is the only life worth living.

youtube.com/watch?v=5GOZjlwIwfk

They have a purpose to their actions, usually some form of transient goal, but their actions do not have a greater external purpose. They don't act as though they're fulfilling some grand purpose that explains the function of reality and existence, they act to accomplish their goals and satisfy their needs.

I really detest this line of argument, since it always displays a complete lack of understanding of what nihilism actually is. "Oh they can't be nihilists, because they do things!" Doing things does not indicate a belief that existence has a purpose, it does not undermind existential nihilism.

>but their actions do not have a greater external purpose

Their actions clearly have a purpose to satisfy some goal, great or small. Not having some grand cosmic purse is completely irrelevant. What separates actions performed to "satisfy gods will" or "making your kids happy"?

>Doing things does not indicate a belief that existence has a purpose, it does not undermind existential nihilism.

Yes it does. The only novel thing the school of nihilistic thought ever wrote of value is that life has no OBJECTIVE meaning. But stating that only has limited usefulness, it's not by extension true that life has NO PURPOSE. "Nihilists" fall in this trap all the time, but they live their lives as if life does have a purpose. The everyday experience of being alive is far more powerful of an insight on what the meaning of YOUR life is some construct you created in your head.

*The everyday experience of being alive is far more powerful of an insight on what the meaning of YOUR life is than some construct you created in your head.

It's also wrong to say that life is meaningless. It means an awful lot TO US. It means at least something to those who know us. Sure, it means nothing to Xxxyyythllllpppn III on the other side of the Universe, and if you wait a few hundred trillion years it won't mean a whole lot to anyone, but only a true narcissist should expect his life to have infinite and unending meaning.

Not that faggot but Descartes was wrong, he didn't prove he existed, he merely proved thoughts exist.